• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Alden (5 Badge Demo)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
ETA Next Version
Dec 31, 2025
Hello!

I am excited to be sharing a project I've been quietly working on: Pokemon Alden, a fan game based loosely on my long running D&D game. This is a pretty modest project, but I want to share it regardless! I've done my best to fill this first big chunk of the game with as much detail and intrigue as possible.

PLOT

Pokemon Alden is set in the Helephen Region, a small portion of a larger nation ruled over by the technologically advanced Aldenian League. Your story begins when you are tasked with making a simple delivery for your neighbor, the local Pokemon Professor. As you travel North, you'll start to learn more about the region's problems. Pokemon are becoming sick and strange debt collectors are harassing the people of Helephen. All these unsavory happenings seem to point back to the Aldenian League, and you'll find yourself going from simple errand runner to hero.

You may also find yourself joining factions such as the Pokemon Rangers and the archeologists of the Thaelian Society. You'll help the Pokemon Rangers in their fight against a group of poachers known as Team Plunder. If you choose to join the Thaelian Society, you'll pursue artifacts that tell the history of Helephen.

And of course you'll also collect gym badges, hunt rare Pokémon, and achieve Pokedex milestones.

FEATURES (Available in this Demo)

• Over 100 original regional variants.
  • More than 300 new moves and more than 40 new abilities.
  • 5 Gyms to challenge.
  • More than 100 quests to complete.
  • Basic crafting system with drops from wild Pokemon.
  • The "Ancient" type. This includes all fossil mons, Relicanth, and a few others + several new variant species.
  • A couple other things I don't want to spoil :)

POKEMON CHANGES

I have rebalanced almost every original Pokemon available in the game to fit better with the pacing of a single player adventure. In general I changed the following:

• Pokemon have higher stats but evolve later (sometimes significantly).
  • Pokemon have expanded learn sets that sometimes include a lot of original moves.
  • All evolutions have been streamlined to be either: Level up, Stone, or Happiness.
  • Megas and Gmax forms are not present. Instead many of these have been repurposed and rebalanced as permanent evolutions for Pokemon like Lopunny, Lapras, Pinsir, Manectric, Garbodor, and many others.
  • Check the 'Pokemon' and 'Pokemon Forms' documents in the PBS folder of your game directory if you want to confirm a specific evolution level or method.
I know some folks won't like these changes, but I had a great time doing it, and I hope you'll see some new life breathed into old favorites.

VXKmiFt.png
tKI6kQi.png
kBLHZVD.png
K5V8JrP.png
HHUiOJ8.png
7Zw5YXv.png
fT5njL3.png
w1jUdrg.png

DOWNLOAD

Download the Demo Here!

DISCORD

Join the Discord Here!

CREDITS

BUILT IN POKEMON ESSENTIALS v19.1
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.

MKXP-Z
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

RPG MAKER XP
Enterbrain

ART & ASSETS FROM THE COMMUNITY
Ekat99
idilio
KyleDove
Jinxed
Caruban
Aki
BiggusWeeabus
TheDeadHeroAlistair
Scizor User
KingTapir
AnonAlpaca
LuigiTKO
CinnaYva
Pikafan2000
Cesare_CBass
Vent
Cesare_Cbass
MultiDiegoDani
leParagon
JWNutz
princess-pheonix
LunarDusk
Wolfang62
TintjeMadelintje101
piphybuilder88
Azria
DarkusShadow
EduarPokeN
Carmanekko
StarWolff
MissingLukey
help-14
Kymoyonian
cSc-A7X
2and2makes5
Pokegirl4ever
Fernandojl
Silver-Skies
TyranitarDark
Getsuei-H
Kid1513
Milomilotic11
Kyt666
kdiamo11
Chocosrawlooid
Syledude
Gallanty
Gizamimi-Pichu
2and2makes5
Zyon17
LarryTurbo
spritesstealer
PhantomBass
wrigty12
Screen Lady
Taiga
PorousMist
StCooler
curryofthepast
Kidkatt
NocTurn
Jess Jackdaw
Travis
Beliot419
Tristantine The Great

SCRIPTS, PLUGINS, AND RESOURCE COMPILATION FROM THE COMMUNITY
Thundaga
Golisopod User
Moyo
Marin
mej71
derFischae
ENLS
Voltseon
LukaSJ
thatonekriegerwriter
-FL-
Caruban
UberDunsparce
ThatWelshOne
Lucidious89
LinKazamine
DiegoWT
Vendily
TechSkylander1518
IndianAnimator
Kotar
clockstops
Astefia
eattwo
DeepBlue
PacificWaves
NettoHikari
Xtreme1992
Phantombass

FEEDBACK AND TESTING
Zinkatron

SPECIAL THANKS
My best friends for playing the D&D campaign that inspired this game and for being my enthusiastic testers.
Alex, Dan, Kevin, thanks for hanging out, playing, and testing.

Last edited:

JFTV_Feels

Novice
I am 3 badges in, this is SO GOOD. You did this by yourself and this is your first Essentials game? You should be dang proud, well done. Once I finish the demo, I will give you detailed thoughts and feedback. But wanted to leave this here, if people are on the fence about trying this because it isn't finished...ok I get that, but this is definitely worth playing!
Thank you so much! That really means the world to me. 🥹

Yes, It is just me working on the game, but I do really have to underscore how important the resources from this community are. It wouldn't even be remotely possible for me to do this on my own otherwise. The project started out with me just playing around in essentials for fun and watching Thundaga's tutorial vids.

I'm travelling for work for the next few weeks, but I'm excited to start working on the game again when I get back. You've given me some great feedback already, and I really appreciate you wanting to give me some detailed thoughts. I'll take any feedback to heart!

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
QQ, when looking at the PBS - specifically the pokemonforms.txt file: Some of the Aldean forms don't specify their evolution method. Are we to assume it is the same as their usual canon variant? E.g., the Aldean Skitty would evolve with a Moon Stone just like the canon one? I can test this out, just was curious if it is 100% the case. Also, I noticed in some places that you swapped out abilities for new ones for some early stage mons but the PBS shows the usual ability for the evolution (e.g., the Goomy line - Goomy has new/swapped around abilities, but Sliggoo has the canon ability structure).

I'm enjoying catching everything I can and looking at what they have to offer. That said, I feel with the amount of new regionals and changes to canon would make this game a great candidate for an advanced pokedex plug-in so people can look at all of the PBS type information right from the dex. I'll see if I can find the resource (and hopefully one that is compatible with v19 of Essentials for ya!) so you can see what I am referring to. Honestly tho, I have NO IDEA how hard it is to add these kinds of things, so feel free to ignore the suggestion if it is a bother!

EDIT: Found one! https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/1024/

Last edited:

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Also, I definitely vote for a Speed Up button plug-in. At times there is a lot of exploration and backtracking to be done, so I can't imagine not playing this one without speed up - I am using 3x with Cheat Engine and that seems like a good benchmark for me at least!

JFTV_Feels

Novice
QQ, when looking at the PBS - specifically the pokemonforms.txt file: Some of the Aldean forms don't specify their evolution method. Are we to assume it is the same as their usual canon variant? E.g., the Aldean Skitty would evolve with a Moon Stone just like the canon one? I can test this out, just was curious if it is 100% the case. Also, I noticed in some places that you swapped out abilities for new ones for some early stage mons but the PBS shows the usual ability for the evolution (e.g., the Goomy line - Goomy has new/swapped around abilities, but Sliggoo has the canon ability structure).

I'm enjoying catching everything I can and looking at what they have to offer. That said, I feel with the amount of new regionals and changes to canon would make this game a great candidate for an advanced pokedex plug-in so people can look at all of the PBS type information right from the dex. I'll see if I can find the resource (and hopefully one that is compatible with v19 of Essentials for ya!) so you can see what I am referring to. Honestly tho, I have NO IDEA how hard it is to add these kinds of things, so feel free to ignore the suggestion if it is a bother!

EDIT: Found one! https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/1024/
Yes! You're exactly right about the evolution methods. I think the Goomy situation might just be an oversight on my part. Thanks for flagging.

WOAH! That Plugin is great. I super appreciate the tip there. That is a much better solution than having people dig through the PBS files. I already found the speed up plugin I want to use too.

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Cool, I will DM you if I find anything else that may look off in the PBS, especially if it impacts the coding so we aren't muddying up this thread with minor updates and what not. I'll just keep a log of it so I'm not constantly pestering you and then share it all at once, especially since you said you are close to or on a business trip.

gohstar95

Novice
Hi, seems like this might be a potentially good game to play, but can I check if save files will be trasnferred over to the next version when it has an update? It kinda sucks for me to replay the whole game again when it has a new update.

JFTV_Feels

Novice
Hi, seems like this might be a potentially good game to play, but can I check if save files will be trasnferred over to the next version when it has an update? It kinda sucks for me to replay the whole game again when it has a new update.

Hi, thanks for playing. Yes! Your save file will transfer between versions. Your saves aren't stored in the main game directory either so when there is a new version yo can safely delete your whole game folder.

JFTV_Feels

Novice
Can I also known if there are a list of regional variants for us to see?

Here's a list with their locations:

Skwovet (Electric) - Kander, Grass
Seedot (Rock/Fighting) - Cliffside Vista, Grass
Starly (Grass/Flying) - Golden Hearth Path, Grass
Aipom (Rock/Steel) - Golden Hearth Path, Trees
Ekans (Rock/Ghost) - Clay pots all over Helephen
Goldeen (Electric/Poison) - Gaines, Old Rod
Salandit (Normal/Ghost) - Team Gold Hideout, Cave Floor
Bidoof (Water/Poison) - Honey River Trail, Grass
Mareep (Water/Fairy) - Acre Market, Grass
Cubone (Grass/Psychic) - Bidingwood South, Grass
Pidgey (Ice/Flying) - Bidingwood South, Trade
Munna (Rock/Ground) - Bidingwood North, Good Rod
Zubat (Dark/Ghost) - Bidingwood North, Forest Floor
Gastly (Grass/Ghost) - Bidingwood North, Forest Floor
Slugma (Bug/Fairy) - Smoming, Grass
Sentret (Ground/Fairy) - Smoming Glades, Grass
Dratini (Dragon/Electric) Barrow Burrow, Good Rod
Oddish (Grass/Water) - Barrow, Old Rod
Paras (Bug/Fighting) or (Bug/Fairy) - Barrow, Quest
Kabuto (Electric/Bug)- Bidingwood East, Grass
Klink (Ancient) - Aldenian Warehouse, Dungeon Floor
Bonsly (Grass/Ancient) - Aldenian Warehouse, Dungeon Floor
Seel (Ground/Fighting) - Naila's Grotto, Cave Floor
Abra (Fairy/Fire) - Cyclopean Cross, Grass
Torchic (Dragon/Flying - Cyclopean Cross, Grass
Pansmog (Poison) - Cyclopean Cross, Trees
Weedle (Bug/Ground) - Antiquity Cave, Overworld
Teddiursa (Fairy) - Beholder Village, Quest
Arkomet (Fire/Ancient) - Mt. Beholder, Cave Floor
Arkomet (Ice/Ancient) - Mt. Beholder, Cave Floor
Wailmer (Flying) Beholder Peak, Grass
Skitty (Psychic) Shady Rook Road, Grass
Burmy (Bug/Ice) Duskpine Dale, Trees
Aron (Bug/Dragon) Duskpine Dale, Grass
Elekid (Ice/Electric) Duskpine Dale, Grass
Magikarp (Water/Steel) Bordenbrad, Old Rod
Tirtouga (Normal/Rock) Bordenbrad, Old Rod
Tentacool (Ancient/Electric) Helphya Ruins, Grass
Shellder (Ancient/Psychic) Helphya Ruins, Grass
Hatenna (Water/Ghost) Sophrosyne, Dungeon Floor
Cleffa (Fire/Steel) Direwood, Grass
Patrat (Dark) Direwood, Grass
Druddle (Rock/Dragon) Ambercall, Crystal Formations

Last edited:

Nick Blaze

Novice
Also, I definitely vote for a Speed Up button plug-in. At times there is a lot of exploration and backtracking to be done, so I can't imagine not playing this one without speed up - I am using 3x with Cheat Engine and that seems like a good benchmark for me at least!
every fan game must have a speed-up button even a demo must have it, lets hope from 2025 games will have automatic speed-up button

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Ok! Pretty sure I am at the end of the demo, I have 5 badges and all quests I got left are sending me to places I don't think I can get to yet (Sporrin, Lake Caro, Eirenya).

I will start off with the tl;dr. This is ABSOLUTELY worth playing! The storyline, characters, quests, etc. are all engaging. The pokemon changes and regional forms drive that sense of discovery that we lose from not being able to discover pokemon for the first time again. There are factions here with different machinations that all dip a bit into the gray (except the Rangers who seem pretty lawful/good so far anyways). Dev looks like they are putting a speed up button in for their next build, so if that is why you aren't playing, watch this space! Details:

1) Quests - The game starts off with a simple errand that spins out of control fast. You're nearly inundated with stuff to do, places to explore, mons to catch, etc. It actually feels like a RPG, like you walk into a town and there is just tons of other stuff going on that has NOTHING to do with you and the main quest. You can ignore most of it, sure...but why would you? This is what so many Essentials games get wrong, the towns in most games are just basically places that the MC goes to while prepping for a Gym - you talk to everyone for basically no other reason than to maybe get a free item or TM or whatever, then head right to the gym. In this game, there are people here that need your help or there is something else going on that is often worth your attention.

2) Factions - As I mentioned above, there are factions present. The League that runs the region has Agents that thus far seem like good people, but they also have Marshals that are more like power hungry stormtroopers that are extorting the populace. Team Gold seem like run of the mill ruffians led by an extreme idealist, but it seems like they are probably just good people forced to do bad things and are being taken advantage of by both their circumstances and a charismatic leader. There are Rangers, there are these Historian types that are after artifacts, and there are even poachers called Team Plunder that steal and sell pokemon like Rockets do. This all feels organic as well, like it fits within the region.

3) Mon updates and regional forms - Making changes to canon mons and the way things work is going to be divisive in general, but for me it added to the allure of catching everything you can on every route and then looking at the PBS folder to see what changed. This is gonna annoy a lot of people tho that don't want to delve into the game folders, look up the mons, look up the abilities, look up the moves, etc. because there are new things EVERYWHERE. Which is exciting don't get me wrong, but it also is intimidating. The regionals are all very cool, some are odd but awesome (e.g., the Regional Sudowoodo, lol) and others I am excited to see once we get access to Mythic Stones to evolve some we can't yet. The sprites overall are good!

4) The myriad of other things - Time travel is a cool dynamic that has of course been used before, but it doesn't feel contrived thus far. I love the basic crafting and item exchangers, that's a nice touch that makes you never want to run from battles. Camping tents are nice but take some getting used to. Marble Capsules are cool, but I think they would be better served as an extra item that can be held rather than taking the place of the standard item, kinda like Pokemon Empyrean's card system works. All of the extra kinds of balls, EV/IV items, etc. are all great extensions of concepts that work well already so they feel natural.

5) Pacing - I was basically overleveled immediately. I get that for some this isn't a big deal, but I was constantly switching out team members to try and not make the game's battles totally trivial, and ultimately failed at being able to consistently do this. I think level caps would be a HUGE plus for this game. Maybe have it as an option since I know there are people that prefer a more casual experience. I do also recognize that some of this is my fault, as I rarely ran from any battle, did all quests, and battled all trainers possible. I also just immediately boxed the UBs and other Legendary you can get pretty early. I love that you give the player the option, don't get me wrong, but I had an UB before my first badge haha! That feels a bit strange. Being able to get a Ninetales super early as well, and really the game leans you towards stone evos as well because everything evolves so much later than normal. This is a mixed bag - it gives the stone evos time to shine before the 3 stage mons come into the picture, but getting them too early can trivialize some fights. Not sure this is something worth going too deep into tho!

6) No rival - While the story is great and the side quests are both diverse and well written, the MC is a total blank canvas. Like entirely blank ala an Elder Scrolls game. The rival system in other pokemon games can usually drive some personality/background to the MC thru their interactions and still keep the MC being a silent protagonist. With no rival or really nobody else to ground us in this region, everything feels entirely foreign to us. This is a super minor gripe, but I missed the "jump scare" rival battles outta nowhere, not having them feels like a drop.

7) Some plug-ins that would help - these are purely recommendations from just one person that admittedly plays too many fangames, lol. a) Speed Up Button: I am and was fine with using Cheat Engine, but some people will just not even play a game with no speed up. b) The Advanced Pokedex - This mitigates having to delve into the PBS to look up all the new stuff. c) Battle UI - Something to show the typings on the screen, active effects, and maybe even stat boosts/drops would be an excellent addition. Something for the typing should probably be the focus given all the new regionals.

Lastly, I want to again commend you for what you've done here. This is a great demo for ANYONE, let alone someone who has never created a game before and is doing all of this solo. I also loved the D&D inspired moves you added, too! I can honestly say I was sad to run out of content to play, that usually doesn't happen...I usually just move right on to the next game and don't think much about it. That again should tell you all you need to know about how I feel about this one! I'll DM you some of the PBS items I found that may or may not be issues, this post is long enough as it is, haha.

JFTV_Feels

Novice
Ok! Pretty sure I am at the end of the demo, I have 5 badges and all quests I got left are sending me to places I don't think I can get to yet (Sporrin, Lake Caro, Eirenya).

I will start off with the tl;dr. This is ABSOLUTELY worth playing! The storyline, characters, quests, etc. are all engaging. The pokemon changes and regional forms drive that sense of discovery that we lose from not being able to discover pokemon for the first time again. There are factions here with different machinations that all dip a bit into the gray (except the Rangers who seem pretty lawful/good so far anyways). Dev looks like they are putting a speed up button in for their next build, so if that is why you aren't playing, watch this space! Details:

1) Quests - The game starts off with a simple errand that spins out of control fast. You're nearly inundated with stuff to do, places to explore, mons to catch, etc. It actually feels like a RPG, like you walk into a town and there is just tons of other stuff going on that has NOTHING to do with you and the main quest. You can ignore most of it, sure...but why would you? This is what so many Essentials games get wrong, the towns in most games are just basically places that the MC goes to while prepping for a Gym - you talk to everyone for basically no other reason than to maybe get a free item or TM or whatever, then head right to the gym. In this game, there are people here that need your help or there is something else going on that is often worth your attention.

2) Factions - As I mentioned above, there are factions present. The League that runs the region has Agents that thus far seem like good people, but they also have Marshals that are more like power hungry stormtroopers that are extorting the populace. Team Gold seem like run of the mill ruffians led by an extreme idealist, but it seems like they are probably just good people forced to do bad things and are being taken advantage of by both their circumstances and a charismatic leader. There are Rangers, there are these Historian types that are after artifacts, and there are even poachers called Team Plunder that steal and sell pokemon like Rockets do. This all feels organic as well, like it fits within the region.

3) Mon updates and regional forms - Making changes to canon mons and the way things work is going to be divisive in general, but for me it added to the allure of catching everything you can on every route and then looking at the PBS folder to see what changed. This is gonna annoy a lot of people tho that don't want to delve into the game folders, look up the mons, look up the abilities, look up the moves, etc. because there are new things EVERYWHERE. Which is exciting don't get me wrong, but it also is intimidating. The regionals are all very cool, some are odd but awesome (e.g., the Regional Sudowoodo, lol) and others I am excited to see once we get access to Mythic Stones to evolve some we can't yet. The sprites overall are good!

4) The myriad of other things - Time travel is a cool dynamic that has of course been used before, but it doesn't feel contrived thus far. I love the basic crafting and item exchangers, that's a nice touch that makes you never want to run from battles. Camping tents are nice but take some getting used to. Marble Capsules are cool, but I think they would be better served as an extra item that can be held rather than taking the place of the standard item, kinda like Pokemon Empyrean's card system works. All of the extra kinds of balls, EV/IV items, etc. are all great extensions of concepts that work well already so they feel natural.

5) Pacing - I was basically overleveled immediately. I get that for some this isn't a big deal, but I was constantly switching out team members to try and not make the game's battles totally trivial, and ultimately failed at being able to consistently do this. I think level caps would be a HUGE plus for this game. Maybe have it as an option since I know there are people that prefer a more casual experience. I do also recognize that some of this is my fault, as I rarely ran from any battle, did all quests, and battled all trainers possible. I also just immediately boxed the UBs and other Legendary you can get pretty early. I love that you give the player the option, don't get me wrong, but I had an UB before my first badge haha! That feels a bit strange. Being able to get a Ninetales super early as well, and really the game leans you towards stone evos as well because everything evolves so much later than normal. This is a mixed bag - it gives the stone evos time to shine before the 3 stage mons come into the picture, but getting them too early can trivialize some fights. Not sure this is something worth going too deep into tho!

6) No rival - While the story is great and the side quests are both diverse and well written, the MC is a total blank canvas. Like entirely blank ala an Elder Scrolls game. The rival system in other pokemon games can usually drive some personality/background to the MC thru their interactions and still keep the MC being a silent protagonist. With no rival or really nobody else to ground us in this region, everything feels entirely foreign to us. This is a super minor gripe, but I missed the "jump scare" rival battles outta nowhere, not having them feels like a drop.

7) Some plug-ins that would help - these are purely recommendations from just one person that admittedly plays too many fangames, lol. a) Speed Up Button: I am and was fine with using Cheat Engine, but some people will just not even play a game with no speed up. b) The Advanced Pokedex - This mitigates having to delve into the PBS to look up all the new stuff. c) Battle UI - Something to show the typings on the screen, active effects, and maybe even stat boosts/drops would be an excellent addition. Something for the typing should probably be the focus given all the new regionals.

Lastly, I want to again commend you for what you've done here. This is a great demo for ANYONE, let alone someone who has never created a game before and is doing all of this solo. I also loved the D&D inspired moves you added, too! I can honestly say I was sad to run out of content to play, that usually doesn't happen...I usually just move right on to the next game and don't think much about it. That again should tell you all you need to know about how I feel about this one! I'll DM you some of the PBS items I found that may or may not be issues, this post is long enough as it is, haha.
Thank you so much for everything! It is great feedback. I added you to the credits in a new category on the main post. I think your contributions easily warrants that.

I actually totally agree about the level curve. It has been my biggest concern for awhile. I wanted to see if it might work out without level caps, but I agree that it would improve the game. I just need to figure out how to put my own twist on it that makes it feel immersive.

I expect to get the speed up and Pokedex changes done in relatively short order, but the level cap changes may not come until I do another big content update.

I'm overjoyed you had fun with the game though. Things you loved about it are what I really wanted to emphasize with my game so it is really fulfilling to see that it came through!

Back