• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

The 12 Days of Mapmas, a Speed Mapping event!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to a brand new Relic Castle event, created by @Adel's Brother! He suggested the event and went above and beyond planning each theme, and I hope you'll participate! Starting today, I will be posting two themes for you to choose from, you pick one and create a map from scratch. There's twelve days planned, so plenty of time for you to hop in and join! This isn't any sort of mapping contest, just a way for you to exercise your map-making muscles.

If you are itching for a game jam proper, you should check out this video!

The purpose of this event is to get out of your comfort zone. Mapping can be stressful sometimes, and it can be so easy it is to get caught up in the details. Let me push you to map something quickly without any expectation that it needs to be perfect! If you'd like feedback on your map, you can opt in to getting feedback from other participants!

What if I want it to be amazing?
Then by all means, keep working and seeking feedback after the event. Here, we are looking for a first or second draft max. Plot it, map it, throw in some decorations, and post it!

New themes everyday? That's not a lot of time!
You're right. Unlike previous mapping related events, Mapmas is quantity over quality! To make it easier we have pre-selected recommended tilesets for you to use (or not if you want to use your own). You also don't have to make a map for each theme; choose the theme that is most appealing to you!

How are we judged?
This is not a competition, it's a mapping exercise! Your prize is the experience you gain and the fun you have!

Check out this gif of @Arma's mapping process, maybe it'll give you inspiration for how you want to tackle each map.
Y4wSbxG.gif
Here are the rules for this event:
  • You have 24 hours to make and post your map.
  • Choose one of two possible themes each day!
  • Please keep your maps to 60*60 tiles or under.
  • You can compile your own tileset, or use the ones provided each day.
  • Tilesets and/or map.rxdata do not need to be posted for public use after, but can be if you want!
  • Maps should be first or second drafts, they do not have to be masterpieces!
  • Please be sure to include credits for tiles that you did not make!
  • Optional: Time your mapping process!

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy mapping! 😀

Theme:
Map:
Name of map:
Tileset credits:
Comments:
Looking for feedback?:

Day 1: Cabin in the Woods or Park in a City
Day 2: East or West
Day 3: Fork in the Road or Fork in the River
Day 4: Blizzard or Volcano
Day 5: High roller or Sewers
Day 6: Planes or Trains
Day 7: Autumn or Spring
Day 8: Haunted House or Graveyard
Day 9: Farm or Factory
Day 10: Under the mountain or Under the sea
Day 11: Castle or Library
Day 12: In the clouds or In the void

Last edited:

Ott

My crown is made from the Yellow Pages
On the first day of mapping RC gave to me: A boat parked on an apricot tree.
On the second day of mapping RC gave to me: Two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the third day of mapping RC gave to me: Three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the fourth day of mapping RC gave to me: Four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the fifth day of mapping RC gave to me: Five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the six day of mapping RC gave to me: Six months to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the seventh day of mapping RC gave to me: Seven game badges, six months to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the eight day of mapping RC gave to me: Eight broken raps, seven game badges, six moths to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the ninth day of mapping RC gave to me: Nine Colress's, eight broken raps, seven game badges, six months to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the tenth day of mapping RC gave to me: Ten SweetKiss emojis, nine Colress's, eight broken raps, seven game badges, six months to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the eleventh day of mapping RC gave to me: Eleven people typing, ten SweetKiss emojis, nine Colress's, eight broken raps, seven game badges, six months to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

On the twelfth day of mapping RC gave to me: Twelve loss memes, eleven people typing, ten SweetKiss emojis, nine Colress's, eight broken raps, seven game badges, six months to judge, five mods asleep, four winter jams, three relic gold, two RC discords and a boat parked on an apricot tree.

Last edited:
Day 1: Your challenge is to create a Cabin in the Woods or a Park in the City! You have 24 hours to post your map. Feel free to give feedback to your fellow participants, too!

The suggested tilesets were posted by @Ekat!
Haunted Woods
Please credit when used:
1. Ekat
2. Vurtax (FRLG Rips)
3. Heartlessdragoon (RSE Rips)
4. Zein (Trees & mushrooms)
Brick City
Please credit when used:
1. Ekat
2. Vurtax (FRLG Rips)
4. Alistar (tree bases and short grass patches)
5. Slimshady (mailboxes)

omega

The Pilkining is Soon. . .
Theme: "Cabin in the Woods"
Map Name: The Meetup Spot
Credits: @Squip and Myself (Private Tileset)

This was a really quick spin up since the contest just started and I wanted to see how my tiles looked after not devving on the project using them for so long. Feedback is heavily welcomed and appreciated.

1702190739220.png

1702190830915.png

Cassi

the lord of failure/crappy games/loosingmotivation
Theme - Cabin in the woods
Map doesnt have a name aka im not creative :P
Tileset was the suggested one by @Ekat
i like this map allot first time playing around with fogs and i think i did a half decent job (atleast on the house) the lamps below it suck also the house was tricky for me to do for some reason but i think it turned out fine kinda just ignore how much it overlaps with itself :3
also the lighting was kinda rushed cuz i was like yea this is good for my first attempt maybe if i map more il focus on it more
if yall wanna give feedback please do i crave recognition B)
also i know the house doesnt have a door im sorry

1702197347927.png
1702197368303.png

Last edited:

Muffyang

Novice
If you are itching for a game jam proper, you should check out this video!
From the description: With the cancellation of the Relic Castle Winter Game Jam 2024, I saw it as an opportunity to do something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Make my own Game Jam.

Did the Winter Game Jam actually get canceled several months in advance with no notification of it on the forums?

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
Theme: Cabin in the Woods
Name of map: Poison Lake
Tileset credits: Vanilla tileset edited by Myself
Comments: A wooded area with a cabin on a lake for an alternate dimension for one of the games I'm currently working on. Not fully complete, need to add grass tiles and fine tune it. I did this fairly quickly to test to see how fast I can put a map together. Suggests and comments encouraged.
Poison Lake.PNG

Last edited:

lamington

Rookie

This was a really quick spin up since the contest just started and I wanted to see how my tiles looked after not devving on the project using them for so long. Feedback is heavily welcomed and appreciated.

These are great tiles! Love the colours and variety of textures.

lamington

Rookie
Map: Cabin In The Woods
Name of map: Training Area
Tileset credits: Essentials Outside + my custom tiles
Comments: I imagine this to be an early route where an old master residing in the woods trains new Pokemon trainers.

Made in 65 minutes. Here's a timelapse.

Looking for feedback?: Yes please!

Attachments

• Day 01 Upload.png
    Day 01 Upload.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 89

Enigma

Certified lonely
Map: Cabin in the woods
Name of map: Lively Lodge
Tileset credits:
PUBLIC GEN 4 TILESET BY:
Magiscarf
WesleyFG
SailorVicious (Formerly known as Heavy-Metal-Lover)
Shawn Frost
NSora-96
PeekyChew
Kyle-Dove
Claisprojects.com
Minorthreat0987
The-Red-Ex
UltimoSpriter
TyranitarDark
DarkDragonn
rafa-cac
Phyromatical
Alucus
Newtiteuf
ChaoticCherryCake
moca
Comments: I hate trees.
With events & player​
day 1.png

Without events and player
day 1 eventless.png

Clara

Rookie
Tileset credits: It's a private tileset done for pokémon Perseida, in this specific map it contains tiles made by me(Clara_Dragon), Magiscarf, Kyledove, hek-el-grande, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, so just in case here's the full credit list of the game.
Comments: I've been stuck just doing events in my game for a while, so this is an ideal excuse to map random things. Spent around an hour and half making the map and adding extra details.
Looking for feedback?: Sure, feedback is always welcomed.
dgjv3dd-839f3a2c-ff24-4062-8078-c5d62f82b0f9.png

Clara

Rookie
A bit of feedback for the others, note that english is not my native language, so I don't know how to express myself that well.

Theme: Cabin in the Woods
Name of map: Poison Lake
Tileset credits: Vanilla tileset edited by Myself
Comments: A wood area with a lake and cabin in the area for one of the games I'm currently working on.
The base structure is decent, but I feel it is possible to compact the map more and make it smaller so for a player is going to be a bit boring to navigate through it. A thing I always do is test the maps ingame, that way you see better it's weak points and the areas you need to fill or simply cut.

i like this map allot first time playing around with fogs and i think i did a half decent job (atleast on the house) the lamps below it suck also the house was tricky for me to do for some reason but i think it turned out fine kinda just ignore how much it overlaps with itself :3
also the lighting was kinda rushed cuz i was like yea this is good for my first attempt maybe if i map more il focus on it more

Similar to the map mentioned above, I feel the map could be more small and compact. There's a lot of space around the mansion that is just boring if you leave it that way.

Nice map, I can't think of anything bad in it.

Name of map: Lively Lodge
Tileset credits:
PUBLIC GEN 4 TILESET BY:
Magiscarf
WesleyFG
SailorVicious (Formerly known as Heavy-Metal-Lover)
Shawn Frost
NSora-96
PeekyChew
Kyle-Dove
Claisprojects.com
Minorthreat0987
The-Red-Ex
UltimoSpriter
TyranitarDark
DarkDragonn
rafa-cac
Phyromatical
Alucus
Newtiteuf
ChaoticCherryCake
moca
Comments: I hate trees.
With events & player​
View attachment 23127

Without events and player
View attachment 23128
I can feel your pain that trees are terrible for mapping.
If there's a thing that I don't personally like that is the rect path on the right, I think I can see what you wanted to do, but is just a boring path, but ignoring it, the rest of it is nice.

Map: Park in the City
Name of map: Moonshine City Central
Tileset credits:
Akizakura16
Magiscarf
Zetavares852
Plus some of my own edits / tiles
Comments: First time trying to use Gen 4 style tiles, it's definitely a challenge! I imagine this to be part of a much larger city.
Looking for feedback?: Yes
This is just and advice for big cities, dont' make the paths that... ¿irregular? and curvy. Normally most of the modern cities has rect streets, you can also see trafic roundabout if you look an european city, but the streets and roads are rect. You should also be careful while adding the buildings to not let too much space between the ones close to each other. I would also check the colors of the shadows in some tiles, like the gates of the park.

Ozander

Ozander
Name of map: Hormire Lake
Tileset credits:
I'll just post credits from my tileset
  • Ekat
  • TheDeadHeroAlistair
  • Kyledove
  • Serg!o
  • J-Treecko
  • Fangking Omega
  • Remy
  • Edits by me (Ozander)
Comments: This map connects to the Route 1 in Astrolla Region (My game), it'll be used for post-game.
Looking for feedback: YES
exported2.png

exported.png

omega

The Pilkining is Soon. . .

I think a way you can improve on this map is to add more diversity to the flat part of the cliff, adding lightly more elevation and trees on top of the hill could've worked well, along with spacing trees to not be right up against each other. Adding a small puddle in the barren left side could also have been useful; you should also look into making your grass not as linear, having them be just a vertical line of 2 types of grass can be awkward looking. I recommend trying to use a 3x3 square of different base layer grass placement and have that as your fill making it more unique.

Other than that everything else is nice, the use of accessory details is well done with the mushrooms and vines, maybe using less rocks near the bottom could've done well since it seems cramped though.

Adel's Brother

Novice
1702233967747.png
Name of map: Park District
1. Ekat
2. Vurtax (FRLG Rips)
4. Alistar (tree bases and short grass patches)
5. Slimshady (mailboxes)
Comments: This took longer than I wanted it to because I kept messing up the roof placement and I have no idea how to make the dark grass patches look natural but I like how it came out.
Looking for feedback?: If you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back