• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Crimson & Cobalt (Act I)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
pNIWKPm.gif

Journey through the region of Ibara, on your quest to become the strongest Trainer - Pokémon League Champion!
Along the way, meet new friends, battle new foes, raise the ultimate Pokémon team and... take down a secret cult?!

Crimson Society, the group that ravaged the region five years ago, seeks to make a comeback!
What could they want this time, and what does this bode? One thing's for sure...

It's time you get your revenge...

----- Screenshots -----
c7HGNTs.png

----- Starring -----
Protagonist (You):
A beginning Trainer, sullen but not silent. He has a fierce determination to achieve his goals!
Kane: Rival of the protagonist, an aloof and reserved older boy who is almost always one step ahead.
Valerie: The Champion of Ibara, her spirited and bubbly disposition never fails to light up any room she's in.
Gen: A member of the Elite Four, he is amiable and mild-tempered, often acting as a voice of reason.

C7mo9b4.png

----- Featuring -----
New adventures:
New stories, new characters, new battles, and a new region to visit!
Familiar faces: All Pokémon (bar Starters, UBs and Legendaries) from Gen1-7 are obtainable!
Challenging battles: Mid-battle shenanigans for Gym Leaders and important boss fights!
HM Modules: They allow Pokémon to use field moves without taking up a moveslot!
Fast Forward: Press the "Alt" key to zoom through the region at up to 3x the speed!
Unreal Time: One hour in real life = one day-night cycle in game! This affects wild encounters!
Crafting Recipes: Create special Poké Balls and stat-boosting Aprishakes from Apricorns!
Secret Hollows: Optional dungeons with quests, rare items, and exclusive Pokémon!
Triple Triad: The hottest card game sensation! Challenge duelists and win their cards!

CONTENT WARNING:
A dialogue-heavy game with lots of reading and multiple long cutscenes.
Some content may not be suitable for all audiences, including and not limited to:
profanities, black comedy, flashing lights, graphic depictions, dubious morals, and possibly heavy themes.
Player discretion is advised.

----- Download -----
Game (v1.6) | Game Guide

Act I: "A Thousand Crimson Blooms" Now Available!

~Around 15+ hours of content!
~4 (out of 8) Gyms and 3 (out of 7) Secret Hollows!
~Act II currently in development!

Game may crash unexpectedly. Save regularly to avoid losing data!

~Version 1.6 - Updated 29 October 2023
~Version 1.5 - Updated 11 October 2023
~Version 1.4 - Updated 6 October 2023
~Version 1.3 - Updated 2 October 2023
~Version 1.2 - Updated 30 September 2023
~Version 1.1 - Updated 15 September 2023
~Version 1.0 - Released 7 September 2023
----- Pokémon -----
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

----- Pokémon Essentials v18.1 -----
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby | Marin | Boushy | MiDas Mike
Brother1440 | Near Fantastica | FL | PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami | Popper | Rataime | help-14
IceGod64 | SoundSpawn | Jacob O. Wobbrock | the__end
KitsuneKouta | Venom12 | Lisa Anthony | Wachunga | Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

----- RPG Maker XP -----
Enterbrain

----- MKXP -----
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

----- Title Screen -----
Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
Font: Dark Seed by Chequered Ink
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
Game icon: Roselia (BanG Dream!)

----- Animations, Cries and SFX -----
hadecynn | James Yevon | KazoWAR | Lemon
Phasma | Random Talking Bush

----- Tilesets and Graphics -----
19dante91 | Akizakura16 | Alucus | Amras Anárion
AsdSimonE | Aten974 | aveontrainer | Barubary
BoOmxBiG | carchagui | ChaoticCherryCake | Chris M "Ranger"
CNickC | CrimsonTakai | Cuddlesthefatcat | DaNerdyDude
Dazz | Death Strike | ditto209 | DonLawride
Ekat | EpicDay | Erma96 | EVoLiNa
Flurmimon | Gaia Project | Gamezop10 | Gigatom
Heartlessdragoon | Hek-el-grande | Hydrargirium | iametrine
idilio | ItsHydro | Jack | Jackster
JesusCarrasco | J-Treecko252 | kaitoooo | KingTapir
KioRaka | Kizemaru-Kurunosuke | Kyle-Dove | LimeZu
marcosik1992 | Magiscarf | MewTheMega | Midnitez-REMIX
Minorthreat0987 | Neslug | Newtiteuf | NikNak93
norma_2d | Pablus94 | Pano26 | PixelMister
PeekyChew | Phyromatical | Poison-Master | Pokemon-Diamond
princess-phoenix | ProudToBeTasteless | PureAzuure | PurpleAladdin
Rayd12smitty | Reck | Sagaxxy | SailorVicious
Scarex | Seiyouh | Shutwig | Slaqueen
SL249 | Spaceemotion | Speedialga | SteinNaples
Sylver1984 | TeaAddiction | ThatsSoWitty | TheDeadHeroAlistair
The Libertine | The-Red-eX | Thurpok | TyranitarDark
UltimoSpriter | Vazquinho25 | Vicente Nitti | Vurtax
Wergan | WesleyFG | XDinky | Xenphoro
Xxdevil | Zein | Zeo254 | zetavares852

Cooking Mama: Let's Cook!
Meteos
Mother 3
Pokémon Café ReMix
Pokémon Shuffle
Pokémon Sword & Shield

Atomic Reactor and the Pokémon Infinity team (tiles, battle bases and panoramas)
Amethyst and the Pokémon Reborn team
Janichroma and the Pokémon Rejuvenation team

----- Battlers and Sprites -----
2and2makes5 | Appletun's Apples | Atomic Reactor | Chocosrawlooid
cSc-A7X | DarkusShadow | DiegoWT | Fernandojl |
Gallanty | Getsuei-H | Gizamimi-Pichu | help-14
kdiamo11 | Kid1513 | KingTapir | Kyle-Dove
Kyt666 | LarryTurbo | LilMicolash | LunarDusk
Maicerochico | Milomilotic11 | MissingLukey | Neo-Spriteman
piphybuilder88 | Pokegirl4ever | Poltergeist | princess-phoenix
PurpleZaffre | SageDeoxys | Silver-Skies | spritesstealer
Syledude | tammyclaydon | TintjeMadelintje101 | Tustin2121 |
TyranitarDark | VanillaSunshine | WolfPP | Zyon17

Relic Castle Staff
Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project

----- Resource Packs -----
Pokémon and the Last Wish Part II by:
ENLS | Voltseon | PurpleZaffre

Pokémon Battle Spotlight by:
HollowGap | RandoDev | TabletPillow

Pokémon Bushido by:
LuxDiablo | Thundaga | HauntedArtStudio | Tristantine The Great

Pokémon Nightshade by:
Ekat

Pokémon Parallax by:
LuxDiablo | AnonAlpaca | Maks | ToxicStall

Pokémon Shikari by:
MewTheMega | BrysoonYe | idilio | Riddle

Pokémon Syvin by:
Ekat | MewTheMega | Michael | Monika

Pokémon Tempo Rising by:
Akizakura16 | Dusky | Deo

The Last Nurse Joy by:
AnonAlpaca | TechSkylander | Monika | nomi

----- Music -----
MapleStory Music by:
Studio EIM | ASTERIA | M2U | Creed Sound
S.I.D-Sound | SQUARE MUSIQ | ESTIMATE | Initium SoundLab
CODASOUND (LedZeper, Lee Jun-Hee)
Moonsoo Park (LoudBell Studio)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle R OST by:
Anny-K | Ryosuke Terao | Erica Kiyosaki | Masaki Kuniwake
Masaki Hara | Chikayo Fukuda

Pokémon Diamond & Pearl, Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver
Super Music Collection by:
The Pokémon Company
Pikachu Records (Media Factory)

手心的蔷薇 (Beautiful) by:
JJ Lin feat. G.E.M.
Piano cover by Nice piano sheets

----- Scripts -----
"Always on bush" by:
KleinStudio

"Animated Title Screen" by:
Rayd12smitty

"Berry Trees" by:
Maurili

"Better Fast-forward Mode", "DP Pause Menu",
"Easy Questing System", "Enhanced Staircases",
"Marin's Footprints", "Marin's Map Exporter",
"Marin's Scripting Utilities" by:
Marin

"Big Push Events", "Pokemon Exploration",
"Torterra Tree Minigame" by:
Vendily

"B2W2 Bag" by:
LackDejurane | Erassus | StCooler | BadSamaritan
Maruno | Marin | Luka S.J.

"BW Save Screen"
HDrawer | shiney570

"BW 'Shout' Message Effect", "Step On Spot",
"Water Puddle Animations" by:
Boonzeet

"BW Storage System", "Pokédex BW Style",
"Gen V Summary Pack" by:
DeepBlue PacificWaves | NettoHikari | Xtreme1992 | Barubary
redblueyellow | Shashu-Greninja | Mr. Gela | Tommaniacal
Lucidious89 | Weibrot | Kobi2604 | Ploaj

"Check for Pokémon of a certain Type" by:
Defa

"Checking for shiny Pokemon" by:
Rot8er_ConeX

"Custom Gen 4 Day & Night Tones" by:
VanillaSunshine

"Diploma", "HMs as Items",
"Punch Bag Game", "Roulette mini-game",
"Triple Triad Booster Pack", "Unreal Time",
"Watch in the Pokégear Menu" by:
FL

"HGSS Trainer Card", "Message Portraits",
"Pokémon holding Mail", "Passwords" by:
Mr. Gela

"Hidden Ability by percentage" by:
Mashirosakura | Scyl | NettoHikari | Marin

"Item Crafter Scene"
kcgcrazy

"Lagless Path Finder" by:
Blizzard | khkramer

"Luka's Scripting Utilities"
Luka S.J.

"Mid Battle Dialogue/ Scripted Battles" by:
Golisopod User | Luka S.J.

"Name Windows" by:
mej71 | Vendily | Mr. Gela

"Overworld Shadows" by:
WolfPP | Marin

"Party Switcher" by:
Michael | TechSkylander1518 | Marcello | ZeroKid

"RGSS FmodEx extension" by:
Enterbrain | Nuri Yuri | GiraPrimal | Firelight Technologies

"Simple Encounter List Window" by:
raZ | Nuri Yuri | Vendily | Savordez | Marin

"Textbook Script" by:
TechSkylander1518

Voltseon and the Pokémon Splice team
Zerokid and the Pokémon Zero team

----- Additional Thanks -----
Audacity
Bulbapedia
Clip Studio Paint
donjon
KHInsider
Resource Hacker
Slip's Music Database
Smogon
The Spriter's Resource
Maybe this is my way of giving myself permission to exist.
Which is why, if you played it, and somehow enjoyed it in any way or form, you have my deepest and most sincerest gratitude. <33

Last edited:

Armin

☆★★☆
Just finished playing, and I have to say that the grandpa is my favorite <3 I really love his interactions with the protagonist and the gang later, always happy to go back to the house and see him. The interaction in the group were also nice too, their dynamic wasn't that forced, and it really made me wanna explore areas to see what everyone would say.

There was an issue I faced tho, when I did the "When Trucks Can't Moove" quest before entering The Daily Grind to complete it, it messed up. Basically, I did the quest but have no access to the important NPC. (I also crashed talking to the Juggler NPC that tells you about the tutor moves, but it only happened once tho)

Besides that, had a lot of fun! I really wanna see where the story goes in this one, might even replay it later :]
Thank you so much for playing!! <33 Knowing that you took the time to explore the side quests and interactions - and the fact that you had fun with them - makes me so happy! ^___^ For the truck quest, you don't actually need to deliver the milk to any NPC in The Daily Grind (because there is no such person there!) If you delivered it to the rest of the people in the rest of the cafes, you've completed the quest. Talk to the Pokemon Breeder for your reward!

Can you play this on joiplay or just pc
I believe you've already asked this before? >__< To quote my previous reply:
You can try, but I do not guarantee that the game will run smoothly on JoiPlay, and will not be able to provide support for any problems that may crop up on that app. You may want to refer to NikDie's guide on how to set up JoiPlay.

GamerGoddess4life

Novice
Thank you so much for playing!! <33 Knowing that you took the time to explore the side quests and interactions - and the fact that you had fun with them - makes me so happy! ^___^ For the truck quest, you don't actually need to deliver the milk to any NPC in The Daily Grind (because there is no such person there!) If you delivered it to the rest of the people in the rest of the cafes, you've completed the quest. Talk to the Pokemon Breeder for your reward!

Ok sorry didn't remember asking but thanks for letting me know again

Senji Muramasa

Novice
The game is terrific, the story is rich and quite deep, the MC learning to undo the induced trauma was just the sprinkle on top, Can't wait for ACT 2.

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Hey! I recently started playing this on stream and sadly I don’t know if I’ll be continuing. If you want to watch the stream I’ll link it here and share some of my overall thoughts of the first three-ish hours I played.

First of all since there will be a lot of negative things to say I do want to preface with a couple things. I DID enjoy most of my time with this game and I do still think it is GOOD. And even though I would’ve done some things differently you do not need to change the game in anyway because I didn’t like how you handled some of the more “mature” elements of the game.

Positives: I did however quite enjoy all the indoor mapping, and as RC’s Resident Indoor Map Connoisseur it was really nice to see since a lot of times in fan games they can turn out lackluster. If I had to critique anything about them I would add some shadows under the objects as I illustrated in the stream, it helps the objects feel like they’re more tangibly in the room, add depth, and not feel like they were plastered on like an image.

I do quite enjoy the mapping of the game overall and the dialogue/personality for each character is quite unique and I really have enjoyed the dynamic between Protagonist-kun and Kane. Another positive is how you showed a good side to MC and how he cares for people even if he doesn’t really show it and still respects people still wanting to tell the teacher to make sure if it’s okay they go and he felt guilty they left so he volunteered to get them showing he has a good heart.

Negatives: Alright, I’m gonna come out swinging with my most prominent and biggest critique overall. The profanity. Profanity in itself is fine I swear myself sometimes though having profanity in a POKÉMON fan-game itself to me will never fit no matter how you slice it. I understand for the protagonist you wanted to have him be an “edgelord”, though as Cadeorade5 illustrated in my chat you can have someone be an edgelord without throwing around profanity out the wazoo. It ESPECIALLY got bad when MC started calling the kids “dipshits” but I thought at first. “At least only the protagonist swears which shows it’s more of a character trait and not just the game throwing in a bunch of swears to try and be edgy.” Then I ran into 2 NPCs in a row that had unnecessary profanity and a vendor where we use an analogy of slitting someone’s throat.

The profanity still wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t feel like it clashed SO bad with the more lighter tone colorful aesthetic the rest of the game is going for, making me utterly confused over what tone/mood/aesthetic this was trying to do. As personal preference for games in general not even Pokemon, I would personally throw in profanity very sparingly which would add a bit more effect to it being used and often not used disparaging other people in risk of not making that character seem unlikable which was really close if not actually happening with the player.

Also on the profanity note, I’ll move on soon I promise, I wish there was a screen at the beginning of the game warning me about this since I really was not expecting it going into the game, I also haven’t played any of your other games like Hell Girl but heard from Cade that your writing style worked better there since the setting was hell, and some people could get really bothered by profanity or the other heavy topics this game does tackle and I would’ve liked to have known what I was signing up for beforehand. I did see later there was one in the thread but I didn’t notice it and one in game would be more effective imo and overall let me know beforehand that hey, you’re in for some SHIT.

Early on in the game I was hopping for some kind of path to clearly understand what the journey of the game would be, but still 3 hours in I don’t really know what the next 10+ hours of gameplay would be like. In the thread I later read that it’s a Gym Game, but from what I’ve played that’s not really the impression I got. I thought it would be more story driven with the end aspiration of the player being the champion but not having gyms and that happening some other way or something. It feels like the game sometimes goes on tangents with other unrelated things and I do like shorter games that don’t waste my time which I understand now the school was a way to introduce the crimson society but if we had a gym before that that’d be great so early on I would know the journey and to also not waste my time as much as possible not have the Pokedex blow up since so far it seems that only happened to increase the runtime of the game.

On a Pokémon standpoint I feel like in the earlier routes there weren’t that many varying types in the wild Pokemon you could catch leading me to feel really unbalanced in my team and wanting to get stuff to cover my typings but unable to since all the wild Pokemon were really just normal or flying type Pokemon.

On the note of Pokemon. This is very much of a personal preference, but one I know many people share and that’s the EXP Share. Imo it’s very much as qol and essential as running shoes at the beginning of the game. If people don’t want it and you put it in the game you can turn it off, if people DO want it and it’s not in the game, they can’t really will it into existence. I personally prefer the new type of EXP Share, I’m sorry I just don’t hav the time to grind up my entire team for hours on end in a Pokémon fan game to do it again in the next.

I played the game through headphones and in battles for sound effects of attacks some would only play in my left ear and some would only play in my right ear which really gave me a headache after a while.

I do feel sometimes the dialogue can get a little long winded as I stated before the shortest is best, imo, since I don’t like wasting too much of the players time when they’re playing my game.

Final Thoughts: Even with all I’ve said, I do NOT regret playing the amounts I’ve had. The reason I’m mostly dropping it for now is because I started streaming WAY too many fan-games at once and it’s just kinda thrown me off. I think I gathered up all my feelings from the stream nicely, and again you don’t have to change anything from my opinions, they’re just opinions, what you do with them is what you do with them. I hope you make the game you are proud of and if you find any wisdom in my words, I am honored. I do NOT believe I am a better game developer than you, I would’ve simply done things differently and tried to explain why I would and why I didn’t love a lot of the decisions you made while making this game. Though one critique I have made I hope you consider the most is the content warning. It probably would’ve also set my expectations and I probably would’ve had a more enjoyable experience knowing what I was in for. I don’t like being a negative Nancy like this, but I had some strong feelings that I want to share, and I do hope you the best in the rest of your development and I am planning on playing Hell Girl. I apologize again I wasn’t able to enjoy it more, I really wanted to. But I can’t wait to see what you make next.

Armin

☆★★☆
Hey! I recently started playing this on stream and sadly I don’t know if I’ll be continuing. If you want to watch the stream I’ll link it here and share some of my overall thoughts of the first three-ish hours I played.

First of all since there will be a lot of negative things to say I do want to preface with a couple things. I DID enjoy most of my time with this game and I do still think it is GOOD. And even though I would’ve done some things differently you do not need to change the game in anyway because I didn’t like how you handled some of the more “mature” elements of the game.

Positives: I did however quite enjoy all the indoor mapping, and as RC’s Resident Indoor Map Connoisseur it was really nice to see since a lot of times in fan games they can turn out lackluster. If I had to critique anything about them I would add some shadows under the objects as I illustrated in the stream, it helps the objects feel like they’re more tangibly in the room, add depth, and not feel like they were plastered on like an image.

I do quite enjoy the mapping of the game overall and the dialogue/personality for each character is quite unique and I really have enjoyed the dynamic between Protagonist-kun and Kane. Another positive is how you showed a good side to MC and how he cares for people even if he doesn’t really show it and still respects people still wanting to tell the teacher to make sure if it’s okay they go and he felt guilty they left so he volunteered to get them showing he has a good heart.

Negatives: Alright, I’m gonna come out swinging with my most prominent and biggest critique overall. The profanity. Profanity in itself is fine I swear myself sometimes though having profanity in a POKÉMON fan-game itself to me will never fit no matter how you slice it. I understand for the protagonist you wanted to have him be an “edgelord”, though as Cadeorade5 illustrated in my chat you can have someone be an edgelord without throwing around profanity out the wazoo. It ESPECIALLY got bad when MC started calling the kids “dipshits” but I thought at first. “At least only the protagonist swears which shows it’s more of a character trait and not just the game throwing in a bunch of swears to try and be edgy.” Then I ran into 2 NPCs in a row that had unnecessary profanity and a vendor where we use an analogy of slitting someone’s throat.

The profanity still wouldn’t be as bad if I didn’t feel like it clashed SO bad with the more lighter tone colorful aesthetic the rest of the game is going for, making me utterly confused over what tone/mood/aesthetic this was trying to do. As personal preference for games in general not even Pokemon, I would personally throw in profanity very sparingly which would add a bit more effect to it being used and often not used disparaging other people in risk of not making that character seem unlikable which was really close if not actually happening with the player.

Also on the profanity note, I’ll move on soon I promise, I wish there was a screen at the beginning of the game warning me about this since I really was not expecting it going into the game, I also haven’t played any of your other games like Hell Girl but heard from Cade that your writing style worked better there since the setting was hell, and some people could get really bothered by profanity or the other heavy topics this game does tackle and I would’ve liked to have known what I was signing up for beforehand. I did see later there was one in the thread but I didn’t notice it and one in game would be more effective imo and overall let me know beforehand that hey, you’re in for some SHIT.

Early on in the game I was hopping for some kind of path to clearly understand what the journey of the game would be, but still 3 hours in I don’t really know what the next 10+ hours of gameplay would be like. In the thread I later read that it’s a Gym Game, but from what I’ve played that’s not really the impression I got. I thought it would be more story driven with the end aspiration of the player being the champion but not having gyms and that happening some other way or something. It feels like the game sometimes goes on tangents with other unrelated things and I do like shorter games that don’t waste my time which I understand now the school was a way to introduce the crimson society but if we had a gym before that that’d be great so early on I would know the journey and to also not waste my time as much as possible not have the Pokedex blow up since so far it seems that only happened to increase the runtime of the game.

On a Pokémon standpoint I feel like in the earlier routes there weren’t that many varying types in the wild Pokemon you could catch leading me to feel really unbalanced in my team and wanting to get stuff to cover my typings but unable to since all the wild Pokemon were really just normal or flying type Pokemon.

On the note of Pokemon. This is very much of a personal preference, but one I know many people share and that’s the EXP Share. Imo it’s very much as qol and essential as running shoes at the beginning of the game. If people don’t want it and you put it in the game you can turn it off, if people DO want it and it’s not in the game, they can’t really will it into existence. I personally prefer the new type of EXP Share, I’m sorry I just don’t hav the time to grind up my entire team for hours on end in a Pokémon fan game to do it again in the next.

I played the game through headphones and in battles for sound effects of attacks some would only play in my left ear and some would only play in my right ear which really gave me a headache after a while.

I do feel sometimes the dialogue can get a little long winded as I stated before the shortest is best, imo, since I don’t like wasting too much of the players time when they’re playing my game.

Final Thoughts: Even with all I’ve said, I do NOT regret playing the amounts I’ve had. The reason I’m mostly dropping it for now is because I started streaming WAY too many fan-games at once and it’s just kinda thrown me off. I think I gathered up all my feelings from the stream nicely, and again you don’t have to change anything from my opinions, they’re just opinions, what you do with them is what you do with them. I hope you make the game you are proud of and if you find any wisdom in my words, I am honored. I do NOT believe I am a better game developer than you, I would’ve simply done things differently and tried to explain why I would and why I didn’t love a lot of the decisions you made while making this game. Though one critique I have made I hope you consider the most is the content warning. It probably would’ve also set my expectations and I probably would’ve had a more enjoyable experience knowing what I was in for. I don’t like being a negative Nancy like this, but I had some strong feelings that I want to share, and I do hope you the best in the rest of your development and I am planning on playing Hell Girl. I apologize again I wasn’t able to enjoy it more, I really wanted to. But I can’t wait to see what you make next.

Hey, thank you for the feedback! ^^
Also on the profanity note, I’ll move on soon I promise, I wish there was a screen at the beginning of the game warning me about this since I really was not expecting it going into the game,
There is already a warning in game, actually, before the main title screen:
[2024-01-07] 20_18_55.765.png

This is in addition to the two other times that indicated that the game does contains profanity: in the main post's screenshots and right above the "Download" section.
1704637660329.png

1704637676345.png

The first three hours are indeed indicative of the next ten. It is a Gym Game, but it's also one with heavy dialogue and a long runtime, as explained in the main post's Content Warning. The fact that it's a Gym Game is apparent from the very beginning, with the protagonist claiming that he's going to defeat the Gym Leader Rochelle and win her Badge, in addition to there being a Gym present in the very first town.
[2024-01-07] 21_04_28.375.png
[2024-01-07] 21_04_35.111.png

The screenshots below show the lists of encounters on the first three routes. Not "all the wild Pokemon were really just normal or flying type Pokemon". Pokémon like Wooper, Morelull and Vulpix are present, which can help cover for your starter's weaknesses.
[2024-01-07] 21_08_31.124.png
[2024-01-07] 21_08_47.770.png
[2024-01-07] 21_08_57.827.png

Exp Shares are available after the first Gym. The game is not designed for grinding for "hours on end", and the player is not required to. Even if he wishes to grind, there is an Audino Trainer a little later on in the game, and a fast forward button to speed things up.

Dear Taiko, I'm heartened that you acknowledged your feedback as personal preference, and not things I must change about my game, or standards I must adhere to. However, I'd really, really appreciate it if you refrained from calling the game out for lacking a certain feature, until you're absolutely sure that said feature truly does not exist, and is not something you simply missed. Even so, please understand that I'm not in any headspace to engage in debate over matters of creative differences in the development of my free fangame, and would prefer to agree to disagree. Thank you so much for your understanding, and I wish you a pleasant day ahead. <3

Attachments

• [2024-01-07] 21_04_57.288.png
    [2024-01-07] 21_04_57.288.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 336

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
Hey, thank you for the feedback! ^^
There is already a warning in game, actually, before the main title screen:
View attachment 23884
This is in addition to the two other times that indicated that the game does contains profanity: in the main post's screenshots and right above the "Download" section.
View attachment 23876

View attachment 23877

The first three hours are indeed indicative of the next ten. It is a Gym Game, but it's also one with heavy dialogue and a long runtime, as explained in the main post's Content Warning. The fact that it's a Gym Game is apparent from the very beginning, with the protagonist claiming that he's going to defeat the Gym Leader Rochelle and win her Badge, in addition to there being a Gym present in the very first town.
View attachment 23878View attachment 23879

The screenshots below show the lists of encounters on the first three routes. Not "all the wild Pokemon were really just normal or flying type Pokemon". Pokémon like Wooper, Morelull and Vulpix are present, which can help cover for your starter's weaknesses.
View attachment 23881View attachment 23882View attachment 23883

Exp Shares are available after the first Gym. The game is not designed for grinding for "hours on end", and the player is not required to. Even if he wishes to grind, there is an Audino Trainer a little later on in the game, and a fast forward button to speed things up.

Dear Taiko, I'm heartened that you acknowledged your feedback as personal preference, and not things I must change about my game, or standards I must adhere to. However, I'd really, really appreciate it if you refrained from calling the game out for lacking a certain feature, until you're absolutely sure that said feature truly does not exist, and is not something you simply missed. Even so, please understand that I'm not in any headspace to engage in debate over matters of creative differences in the development of my free fangame, and would prefer to agree to disagree. Thank you so much for your understanding, and I wish you a pleasant day ahead. <3
Just wanted to reply since it seems when I wrote I may have been a bit harsh with my words and wanted to not give off the wrong impression of my character. For the different Pokemon encounters, it seems that I was just really unlucky when it came to which Pokemon I ran into. 😅
I did look through the encounter lists for some of the routes but I think only Route 1 saw bugs, normal-type Pokemon, and flying, and since I was only running into those too in future routes I assumed they weren't too different I was wrong, and I apologize for that. I should not blame you for my terrible luck lol, so I do retract that point.

I'm really glad you are given EXP Shares throughout the game, though I'm pretty sure my main point wasn't that there weren't any but just that they weren't given initially when the game began. Still, that's personal preference and I know you don't want to engage in a debate so I'm just gonna clarify my point since I believe that was misread.

For the warning of profanity, I did notice the warning in the thread afterward but I didn't see it before the title screen which is what I suggested myself... Guess you were ahead of me on that one!😅
I didn't notice it since I just let the game open up as I was setting up other stuff in my stream, though I should've checked if you had implemented my suggestion about the title screen before posting it here, I once again take the blame for that one.

I'll try in the future to be better about stuff like this in the future when trying to give feedback and I also don't want to come off as a "hardened cynic who knows better than thy developer" 'cause that's honestly stupid. I can tell you care about what you're working on and that what you're trying to do, you're doing well. And honestly, I probably didn't need to share my thoughts on personal preference when it came to swearing since, that was an entirely personal preference and I knew you weren't going to change it. A reason I try to give out my critiques though is because that was a very beneficial way I started my journey in game development and got to where I am today. I always try to help other people improve as much as possible, though it gets somewhat murky in understanding who is looking for that and who's not sometimes.

I do want to complete this game at some point when I am a bit free from other fan games and give it a bit more of a fair shot, which I believe I may not have for these first 3 hours, and I apologize for that. I wish you luck with the rest of development since I know it isn't easy, and have an amazing rest of your day.

Muffyang

Novice
For context I got to the school before tapping out. There's potential here, but it just looks like it'd only get started at the end of the current act. I'll probably give it another go after a few updates, but feedback's feedback.

Is dull and rough, not really much to add to that.
I get what you're going for with the MC, edgelord fronting, but it wasn't well balanced or executed. It felt more like I was reading your intent directly than an actual character, don't really have any advice for that though.
I appreciated that you can buy from Jack, but not that MC then immediately bitches about how his goods are only reasonably priced. You can even buy a rock incense that you're supposed to deliver.
Scenes did drag a ton, and weren't particularly interesting. Between that and the very boring early-route hell the pacing is just glacial.
I think every dialogue choice I noticed was a non-option, which is lame. Can't remember if you got directions to Jack but I remember walking around Blumenschmidt for a bit looking for him.
Pretty stock interactions and I found myself wanting to ignore NPCs entirely and mash through conversations extremely quickly. I guess they're a bit more "animated" but the emotes and MC-talking back just makes it feel like talking to optional NPCs takes 3x as long as it should and gives nothing worth having in return.
I don't mind the swearing, just wish it had some bite instead of MC sounding like he had a nervous tick. Swearing in front of the kids was a nice start, but the sucking line bombed so hard I closed the game and didn't look back.

Early routes make the starter choice not really matter much. You have viable options for Grass/Water/Fire by route 3. It's a personal preference but the starter choice should be something you have to commit to for a while. Nothing says regret like picking the grass starter into finding 5 better grass types before the first gym.
Route 1 Starly.
The overworld mons are a cute detail, but it falls flat considering how time-locked the routes are. On Route 2 you can see both Wooper and Bounsweet, but both are morning-only, they apparently just disintegrate past 8am except on their specific cliffs. Very frustrating to see a mon on the overworld that isn't reachable and doesn't exist in the grass. Also annoying is all the 5% or worse 1% encounters, that also are time-specific.
Only noticed the "Unreal Time" feature after I finished playing, it eases the complaining a little but having to check pokegear for time instead of just flashing the menu makes it easy to overlook.
I'm not fond of a lot of the encounters, just feels like you picked by throwing darts at a list of early-game mons. I complain about time-locking, but also how interchangeable the time-locked choices are. 3 flavors of route1 bird but also morning has the superior choice.
The signs listing encounters are a bit redundant and also poorly organized, no implication of what can be found when. No mystery to what mons are there, but also not telling you what mons you can go out and actually catch.
Having to rely on the external documentation is annoying. I don't like to risk spoilers, and spent a large chunk of playtime trying to find encounters that weren't there. When I finally did decide to look stuff up, there really wasn't a lot that I actually want to use. "I haven't gotten to use a Minior yet" I say to myself, out loud, looking at the last encounter listing in the documentation.
Berry Trees having exclusive encounters, while also punishing you for trying to get those encounters is pretty dumb. Especially compounded with there being a trade for Beedrill, which going off of the docs, can only be found through berry trees.

Why is the documentation a link, instead of just a .pdf or .txt in the download?
Are megas going to be available, and if so would Totodile get one to not stick out compared to Charizard/Sceptile?
Berry Trees' documentation says they refresh every 24h but that didn't seem to be the case for me. I didn't play for a week or so between sessions and the trees didn't refresh.
Most of this is on me, lots of annoyances lately and this game just barely managed to hit enough sour notes to make me want to not play it further.
Overall just going through the documentation I get the impression that by the time the game gets moving, it'll be over. No offense but I personally don't want to autopilot through another earlygame bore that I've played several dozen times before with no payoff.

Lucifer

Fallen1
How do you get the Flash Module? A Youtuber I am watching had it for the fighting gym and somehow, I do not?

I am finished with Act I but want to prepare.
I am looking forward to Act II.

Armin

☆★★☆
For context I got to the school before tapping out. There's potential here, but it just looks like it'd only get started at the end of the current act. I'll probably give it another go after a few updates, but feedback's feedback.

Is dull and rough, not really much to add to that.
I get what you're going for with the MC, edgelord fronting, but it wasn't well balanced or executed. It felt more like I was reading your intent directly than an actual character, don't really have any advice for that though.
I appreciated that you can buy from Jack, but not that MC then immediately bitches about how his goods are only reasonably priced. You can even buy a rock incense that you're supposed to deliver.
Scenes did drag a ton, and weren't particularly interesting. Between that and the very boring early-route hell the pacing is just glacial.
I think every dialogue choice I noticed was a non-option, which is lame. Can't remember if you got directions to Jack but I remember walking around Blumenschmidt for a bit looking for him.
Pretty stock interactions and I found myself wanting to ignore NPCs entirely and mash through conversations extremely quickly. I guess they're a bit more "animated" but the emotes and MC-talking back just makes it feel like talking to optional NPCs takes 3x as long as it should and gives nothing worth having in return.
I don't mind the swearing, just wish it had some bite instead of MC sounding like he had a nervous tick. Swearing in front of the kids was a nice start, but the sucking line bombed so hard I closed the game and didn't look back.

Early routes make the starter choice not really matter much. You have viable options for Grass/Water/Fire by route 3. It's a personal preference but the starter choice should be something you have to commit to for a while. Nothing says regret like picking the grass starter into finding 5 better grass types before the first gym.
Route 1 Starly.
The overworld mons are a cute detail, but it falls flat considering how time-locked the routes are. On Route 2 you can see both Wooper and Bounsweet, but both are morning-only, they apparently just disintegrate past 8am except on their specific cliffs. Very frustrating to see a mon on the overworld that isn't reachable and doesn't exist in the grass. Also annoying is all the 5% or worse 1% encounters, that also are time-specific.
Only noticed the "Unreal Time" feature after I finished playing, it eases the complaining a little but having to check pokegear for time instead of just flashing the menu makes it easy to overlook.
I'm not fond of a lot of the encounters, just feels like you picked by throwing darts at a list of early-game mons. I complain about time-locking, but also how interchangeable the time-locked choices are. 3 flavors of route1 bird but also morning has the superior choice.
The signs listing encounters are a bit redundant and also poorly organized, no implication of what can be found when. No mystery to what mons are there, but also not telling you what mons you can go out and actually catch.
Having to rely on the external documentation is annoying. I don't like to risk spoilers, and spent a large chunk of playtime trying to find encounters that weren't there. When I finally did decide to look stuff up, there really wasn't a lot that I actually want to use. "I haven't gotten to use a Minior yet" I say to myself, out loud, looking at the last encounter listing in the documentation.
Berry Trees having exclusive encounters, while also punishing you for trying to get those encounters is pretty dumb. Especially compounded with there being a trade for Beedrill, which going off of the docs, can only be found through berry trees.

Why is the documentation a link, instead of just a .pdf or .txt in the download?
Are megas going to be available, and if so would Totodile get one to not stick out compared to Charizard/Sceptile?
Berry Trees' documentation says they refresh every 24h but that didn't seem to be the case for me. I didn't play for a week or so between sessions and the trees didn't refresh.
Most of this is on me, lots of annoyances lately and this game just barely managed to hit enough sour notes to make me want to not play it further.
Overall just going through the documentation I get the impression that by the time the game gets moving, it'll be over. No offense but I personally don't want to autopilot through another earlygame bore that I've played several dozen times before with no payoff.
The documentation is a link because that's the format I prefer it to be in. The downloaded folder also contains a shortcut to the webpage.
There are no megas in the game. For Berry Trees, the 24h refers to in-game time and not real time.

How do you get the Flash Module? A Youtuber I am watching had it for the fighting gym and somehow, I do not?

I am finished with Act I but want to prepare.
I am looking forward to Act II.
The Flash Module is in the lighthouse of Blumenschmidt City! Talk to the captain with the Lanturn.

Lucifer

Fallen1
The documentation is a link because that's the format I prefer it to be in. The downloaded folder also contains a shortcut to the webpage.
There are no megas in the game. For Berry Trees, the 24h refers to in-game time and not real time.

The Flash Module is in the lighthouse of Blumenschmidt City! Talk to the captain with the Lanturn.
Sick, thanx.

pokmontrainerdrake

Novice
will there be more than 8 gyms if not will there be a long postgame and can i ask why the hoodie i don't mind it but i am more just wondering and will there be romance in the game between the protagonist and Valerie and it would be kind of cool if there is a choice at the end where the protagonist decides to give up on revenge but it looks cool so when it is finished i will play it because i rather play a game when it is complete

Last edited:

Armin

☆★★☆
will there be more than 8 gyms if not will there be a long postgame
No, there will only be 8 Gyms. I don't plan for the game to have a long postgame in the traditional sense but there is going to be quite a lot of things to do between the last Gym and the Elite 4.

can i ask why the hoodie
I love hoods! I think they're cool! (See: Assassin's Creed) I'd think the protagonist would find them really cool too, especially if they come in black ^^
Hoodies are also comforting. They obscure your face and cover up your body and frame, conferring a sense of security and protection. Perhaps, on a subconscious level, this is why he likes wearing them so much.

will there be romance in the game between the protagonist and Valerie
No, their relationship will not be anything of that sort. Valerie is in love with Gen!

it would be kind of cool if there is a choice at the end where the protagonist decides to give up on revenge
I do plan for the game to have some kind of choice at the end along those lines... but not about "revenge" per se ^^

when it is finished i will play it because i rather play a game when it is complete
Thank you for your interest! But I envision that it'll be a very (x100000) long time before the game is complete, so please don't get your hopes up too much haha

pokmontrainerdrake

Novice
to bad about the romance part but will there be a love interest for the protag later or a character in love with him maybe not in the main cast but other than that i think it looks cool the hoodie and the game

Back