• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Project Untamed

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
=================================
Project Title: Project Untamed

Team Name/Team Members: Team Untamed
Full credits attached in a text file

Kit used: Pokémon Essentials v20.1

Project Description:
Have you heard of the Mazah region created by Jack on the Subjectively YouTube channel? If not, take a look at this playlist! We are making this hypothetical region a reality!
"

Plot Outline:
“In ancient times, the Mazah region was divided into two distinct societal groups: the Imata tribe, and the Katalu empire.
The Imata were a peaceful people, living off the land and following the Pokémon that shared their desert home. The Katalu ruled over the vast jungles and established a sprawling empire with cities and structures that towered over the land.
Each civilization followed the teachings of a separate deity. The Katalu were followers of Hylarmos, the first hunter. The Imata worshipped Maripome, the first hunted.
The story goes that when the Mazah region was inhabited by only Pokémon, Hylarmos and Maripome set the ecosystem in balance. Hylarmos as the first predator, and Maripome as the first prey. When humans began to inhabit the land, some favored the ways of the predator: stagnant, unchanging, and always hungry for more. Other humans sought out the life of prey: ever moving, in fear of being caught, looking forward to a better future.
After some time, the Katalu began to exhaust their resources. Depleting their jungle home of food, they sought to conquer what little the Imata had. They unleashed Hylarmos using special jewelry to control it. The Pokémon wreaked havoc over the land, laying waste to both the jungle and the desert, consuming everything in its path. In a desperate attempt to save their people, the Imata released their guardian, Maripome.
Enticed by this ultimate prize, Hylarmos pursued its ancient rival. The ensuing chase caused more destruction than either civilization anticipated, and they were forced to work together to seal away both Pokémon in a sacred tomb.
As the years went, by the remnants of the Katalu and Imata civilizations slowly unified. The land was no longer divided, and it adopted a new name: the Mazah region. While the empire of the Katalu and the tribes of the Imata have faded into history, their mentalities persist in their descendants. Some believe the only way to succeed is to remain hungry and ruthless. Change brings about destruction, and tradition must reign supreme. Others live more progressive lives, seeking to break out of the routines of old and blaze a new trail for the Mazah region.”

The contrasting themes of the Mazah region are modernism versus tradition.

Professor Ceiba of the region is researching the relationship between Pokémon and the culture of the region. She wants to find out how Pokémon influences the traditions of people. For this reason, she gives the player a starter Pokémon from a set of three that have historically contributed to the culture of the region. She also advises that the player take on the gym challenge to learn more about the culture of each town and learn more about Pokémon.

Evil Teams:
Eon Faction (Traditional):
They are inspired by the old kingdom of Katalu that worshiped Hylarmos. They believe their way of thinking is correct and that breaking out of routine is dangerous for the region. They have ignored new ideas even if they benefit the Mazah region and its people. The current Eon Faction are landowners and usually pass down their accumulated land through generations, hoarding property and housing and making affordable housing impossible in some areas.

Neo Collective (Progressive):
They are inspired by the old tribes of Imata that worshiped Maripome. Although they are progressive and believe in breaking out to find new ways of improving the old, they will sometimes ignore traditions such as respect for ancestors and their way of life, even when those traditions provide a moral compass. They are more technologically advanced but never stay in the same place for more than a while which makes it difficult for their families to take root and develop a strong bond with their region. They go around the Mazah region looking for opportunities for progress (new tech and business opportunities, sometimes at the inconvenience of the local residents).

Current Features:
Objective (Quest) log - we plan to have many side quests in addition to the main quest line, and the main objective to progress in the story will remain tracked so players can check up on their objective and remember what to do after taking a break from the game

Following Pokémon

Pronoun selection

Normal/Hard Difficulty

New region, new fakemon and regional variants, of course (check them out on the Subjectively YouTube channel)

Planned Features (subject to change):
Number of Towns: 7+

Number of Cities: 3+

Additional Pokédex entries are planned for some Pokémon. These "CultureDex" entries add to the lore of the region and unlock via optional quests as rewards at times. This is planned because the region's professor studies how the Pokémon in the region have influenced the culture.

Mega Evolution (+ new megas)

Camping + Pokémon Amie

Pokémon Contests

Progress/Screenshots:
Done with the first demo!
Demo includes first two towns and a couple other areas.
project untamed cover photo.PNG

ceiba lab.PNG

battle2.PNG

pokemon summary.PNG

san cerigold.PNG

Method of Contact:
If you would like to join, accept this invite to the Discord server, and take a look at the server rules and FAQ!
https://discord.gg/4QfgJ26PWa

Additional Information:
We all respect each other's opinions and provide constructive criticism while we work as a team.
Started in May 2022 and almost done with the demo! Woo!
We like to have fun of course. Otherwise, we wouldn't be making a fan game!

How to Play the Demo:
Version 1.0.2 of the demo is out!
NOTE: it's still in development stages and you might get stuck somewhere

1. Delete the entirety of the game you have so far if you have it. This will not delete your save file. This must be done to avoid any clashing of project versions.
2. Download the zip file here:

3. Extract the zip file and double-click Game.exe
4. NOTE: If you are on MacOS, you might need to download a program called Wineskin Winery to run .exe files.

Attachments

• Credits.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,648

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
Liked and Watching, this sounds cool, another game where i end up loving the fire type and liking the others. XD

GuardianOfEden

Rookie
Love it! I really like the beginnings of the story in particular—idealists with good points but that takes them too far are my favourite kinds of antagonists. Excited to see more of this as it gets developed!

(also PRONOUN SELECTION YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!)

TheCrystalAuthor

Rookie
I noticed two bugs while playing
1. one of the first trainers has a sunkern, when it used ingrain the animation was in the top left corner of the screen instead of on sunkern
2. If you send the pokemon following you to the box (catching a pokemon, then replacing the one following you with it) the old pokemon sprite still follows you

vincent.txt

Rookie
1) I just wanted to say, as someone who uses it/its pronouns, I love the inclusion of that as an option so much! I appreciate it more than you can imagine, so thank you for allowing me the opportunity to have that! I love the ability to choose pronouns at the PC as well! It's little things like this that make people like me feel seen and included.

2) This game is so cute so far! I love this demo and the storyline, and I'm excited to see more of it! I also love how convenient everything feels with autoheal, and this just feels like the perfect ideal of what a pokémon fangame should be. This is excellent! Genuinely the most fun I've had in a fangame since Infinity and Uranium.

3) There are a few typos and bugs I ran into, shown in the below pictures. The first is a text error, the second is a typo (should be 'fliers' rather than 'flyers').

Anyways, sorry for the long, rambling comment! This has been an excellent experience so far, and I can't wait to keep up with the development of this game! Have a wonderful day!
IMG_20230214_105605599.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_104253953.jpg
    IMG_20230214_104253953.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 715

Simpistotle

Worlds Kindest Poketuber
Holy christ I love the sprites and the fakemon! Can't wait for more of the demo to come out, is it okay if I record gameplay of this for my Youtube channel?

bumblinBee

Rookie
Hi, Mac user here! Really want to give the demo a go, but not tech savvy in the slightest. I've downloaded Wineskin Winery, but not sure how to use it and I can't find much in the way of instructions. What do I need to do after initial download to get it to open the game demo? Thanks in advance, would really appreciate the help!

supercyc10

Rookie
If I may ask respectfully. How come this isn't a GBA or DS file?
I've seen Pokemon Unbound and others being able to pack this amount of ambitious content in those files?
Is it cause it's a whole other beast to try to develop a GBA game than exe?
I'm guessing EXE is more accessible

If I may ask respectfully. How come this isn't a GBA or DS file?
I've seen Pokemon Unbound and others being able to pack this amount of ambitious content in those files?
Is it cause it's a whole other beast to try to develop a GBA game than exe?
I'm guessing EXE is more accessible
Yes, ROM hacking is an entirely different process from making a game with RPG Maker XP.

Gardenette

Cooltrainer
App
I noticed two bugs while playing
1. one of the first trainers has a sunkern, when it used ingrain the animation was in the top left corner of the screen instead of on sunkern
2. If you send the pokemon following you to the box (catching a pokemon, then replacing the one following you with it) the old pokemon sprite still follows you
Appreciate the report. Both of those are known Bugs that we will fix for the next build release. If you have any other bug reports, please go to our discord and report them in #bug-reports
It helps a lot!

Gardenette

Cooltrainer
A
1) I just wanted to say, as someone who uses it/its pronouns, I love the inclusion of that as an option so much! I appreciate it more than you can imagine, so thank you for allowing me the opportunity to have that! I love the ability to choose pronouns at the PC as well! It's little things like this that make people like me feel seen and included.

2) This game is so cute so far! I love this demo and the storyline, and I'm excited to see more of it! I also love how convenient everything feels with autoheal, and this just feels like the perfect ideal of what a pokémon fangame should be. This is excellent! Genuinely the most fun I've had in a fangame since Infinity and Uranium.

3) There are a few typos and bugs I ran into, shown in the below pictures. The first is a text error, the second is a typo (should be 'fliers' rather than 'flyers').

Anyways, sorry for the long, rambling comment! This has been an excellent experience so far, and I can't wait to keep up with the development of this game! Have a wonderful day!
View attachment 15622
Appreciate the bug reports and feedback! If you can, please join our discord and report future bugs in #bug-reports, and include any feedback in #demo-feedback

Gardenette

Cooltrainer
Hi, Mac user here! Really want to give the demo a go, but not tech savvy in the slightest. I've downloaded Wineskin Winery, but not sure how to use it and I can't find much in the way of instructions. What do I need to do after initial download to get it to open the game demo? Thanks in advance, would really appreciate the help!
I don't have a MacBook to test with, but I found this:

Please let me know if it's helpful, because I would like to share this with others if it does help

bumblinBee

Rookie
I don't have a MacBook to test with, but I found this:

Please let me know if it's helpful, because I would like to share this with others if it does help

Thank you so much, this worked out for me perfectly! I will note that one of the steps is to install WS11WineCX64Bit.21.1.0 but when prompted the auto suggested option for me was WS11WineCX64Bit.22.0.1-1, so I installed that instead (I assume it's just a more updated version than the one in the video?) but otherwise everything was exactly the same. Video was extremely helpful, playing the demo right now and I'm already enjoying immensely!

Back