• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon: Salt & Shadow

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
HcJ8MZV.png
sKSLAxB.png

Are you ready for a new challenge?

Defy the perils of Cradle Island in Pokémon: Salt & Shadow. Explore a vast, interconnected world with dozens of possible paths to the end. Be warned, the challenges ahead are unfair and some may seem truly impossible.

4R8ss3U.png
1. Summon the Legends
The legendary Pokémon abandoned the world to ruin. Only offerings from those with the will to defy fate can bring them back. Catch specific sets of Pokémon to perform the summoning rituals, then call the legends to fight by your side.
pbUXJR0.png
2. No Grinding. Ever.
Pokémon cannot be trained. They cannot gain XP from battle. The treachery of the former Champion ensured this. Players will have to use strategy to defeat powerful opponents in double battles with the Pokémon they have, making their way to higher level areas where they can catch a more powerful team.
kQjoNqk.png
3. Just 13 Days Remain
Each time you rest to heal your fainted Pokémon, time advances one day. There are only 13 days left until the end of the world. Players will have to use their items, minimize damage, and make strategic sacrifices to get the most out of every day.
DKAAkvP.png
4. Non-Linear World
Powerful trainers guard late-game areas; the moment you can defeat them you can go through. Even the Champion's throne room sits just above the starting area.
i9YDhiw.png
5. Unravel the Secrets of Cradle Isle
Item descriptions and scattered journals slowly reveal the truth of the island's past. They also hint at hidden areas, secret objectives, and more.

Quick Facts
  • Playtime: ~10-20 hours.
  • Uses Pokémon up through Gen 8 (Sword & Shield).
  • TMs can be used on any Pokémon with a matching type! Some new movesets are available, strictly adding to existing ones.
  • Run from trainer battles! Scout ahead and prepare for the foes to come.
  • Created with Pokemon Essentials v19.1, featuring Generation 8 Project.

Thundaga's Stream

Thundaga streamed the first few hours of Salt & Shadow (formerly Perish Song) with the devs in chat. There are naturally some content spoilers, but Salt & Shadow was designed to be deeply replayable even with full knowlege. If you want to get a preview of what the game's about, check it out:

How to Download

1. Click the link above.
  2. The PkmnSalt&Shadow.zip file should download automatically. (If it doesn't, there should be a "Download" button you can press)
  3. Once the PkmnSalt&Shadow.zip file has been downloaded, open it and press the Extract All button. (You can also open your Downloads folder, right click it, and click "Extract All...") It will extract the game files into the location of your choice.
  4. In the location you chose (default is Downloads/PkmnSalt&Shadow), run Game.exe. If Windows SmartScreen tries to stop you, you may need to press "More Info" and then "Run anyway".
Developer Discord Server

Want to ask questions, leave feedback, or just chat with the devs? We'd love to have you. You can join the Salt & Shadow discord server here.

Who the heck are you guys?

We're a group of friends that did a game jam about "Pokémon meets Dark Souls" and it turned into a one-year-long project. We've had so much fun working on it, testing out all the various routes and finding new ways to overcome the game's many challenges. Each time we did, we made things a little harder.

Credits

Pokémon: Salt & Shadow:
Created By:
Benjamin Arvey
Reuben Covington
Dan Felder
Will Kolada

Featuring art by:
Alice Fae

Pokémon Music from:
ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library

Special Thanks to:
Zeu and the Pokémon Tectonic team
Aleco Pors

Pokemon Essentials v19.1:
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby, Boushy, Brother1440, FL., Genzai Kawakami, Golisopod User, help-14, IceGod64, Jacob O. Wobbrock, KitsuneKouta, Lisa Anthony, Luka S.J., Marin, MiDas Mike, Near Fantastica, PinkMan, Popper, Rataime, Savordez, SoundSpawn, the__end, Venom12, Wachunga, and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z":
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Generation 8 Project:
  • Battler Sprites:
    • Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
    • Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
  • Overworld Sprites
    • Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62
    • Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer
  • Icon Sprites
    • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
    • Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon
  • Cry Credits:
    • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
  • PBS Credits:
    • Golisopod User, Zerokid, TheToxic, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier
  • Script Credits:
    • EBS Bitmap Wrapper - Luka S.J.
    • Gen 8 Scripts - Golisopod User, Maruno, Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier
  • Compilation of Resources:
    • Golisopod User, UberDunsparce
  • Porting to v19:
    • Golisopod User, Maruno

Plugin Credits:
Advanced HM Items (modified, v1.0.1)
Moyo, Marin, http404error

Auto Multi Save (v1.2)
http404error

v19.1 Hotfixes (v1.0.7)
Maruno

Additional graphics:
Crystal sprite by AntumDeluge (OpenGameArt.org, CC0)
Nurse Joy sprite by PokeJosh (DeviantArt)

Attachments

• showcase.png
    showcase.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 11,194
  • image9.png
    image9.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 8,042
  • title.png
    title.png
    227 KB · Views: 6,857
Last edited:

http404error

Discord: http404error#4585
Edit: nevermind, I gave up too early. I've reached the true ending.
Hahaha, yes! I had a whole long list of tips typed up but now I don't have to post it! Future visitors will just have to come to the Discord to get the dev insights ;) Feel free to drop by to show off your results as well, if you like. Enjoy your victory, and thanks for playing!

We're currently working on the next patch as well; it's a big one!

GearBreak

Rookie
I have a few questions:
1) Why doesn't the grandma dissapear after the wanderer defeats missingno?
2) How to open the locked cabin in the woods?
3) Is there a Surf TM?

Last edited:

http404error

I have a few questions:
1) Why doesn't the grandma dissapear after the wanderer defeats missingno?
2) How to open the locked cabin in the woods?
3) Is there a Surf TM?
Don't forget to use proper spoiler tags please.
1. That's certainly a mystery! I don't want to give a definitive answer.
2. Play some cards! Beat three of the card game players 3 times each.
3. Nope! There are likely some secrets you haven't found yet, but none of them require surfing. Oh, and, not every single thing that looks like it might be, is accessible currently. Some of these things might become accessible in the future though.

Last edited:

GearBreak

Rookie
Hahaha, yes! I had a whole long list of tips typed up but now I don't have to post it! Future visitors will just have to come to the Discord to get the dev insights ;) Feel free to drop by to show off your results as well, if you like. Enjoy your victory, and thanks for playing!

We're currently working on the next patch as well; it's a big one!
Screenshot (319).png
Lower right corner: Swampert/ Porygon
Thanks for the game, I like the atmosphere and the meta lore. You managed to make this game a true monster catcher (not just catching a select few mons and grinding levels).
My team isn't very... strategy-based. It's just power. A lot of power.
Moltres (Galarian) lvl 48 / Black glasses
Arceus lvl 50 / Plate (currently dragon plate)
Volcarona lvl 44 / Charcoal
Lucario lvl 42 / Lucarionite
Zygarde lvl 42 / Life orb
Swampert lvl 44 / Swampertite / Glitched porygon

Last edited:

http404error

Perish Song has been updated to version 1.4.3! (click to download)
As always, you will keep your save game when updating.

Major features:
  • Puzzle Battles: Enter the memory of a battle that broke another wanderer, the one that made them finally give up hope. You take on the team they had and try to find a way to succeed where they failed. Puzzle Battles are the main source of revive items now, and may do something else in the future.
  • A new story-focused quest can be found starting in Deepwood. This quest was created by @Special K! It's great!
  • The Queen has a new private room. There, and elsewhere also, are some new pieces of backstory you can find.
  • There's now an extra ending bonus if you took a certain path on the first day.
Other changes:
  • Added ability to EvoScope to evolve Pokémon which meet their level requirements without having to level them up.
    • Fixed inconsistency in whether Pokémon would level up immediately after you caught them if they were the right level. (This can happen in some specific situations later in the game.)
  • New powerful Shadow Cards to collect.
  • A previously inaccessible door can now be opened.
  • Update to boss AI to save their strongest Pokémon for later.
  • Some Dreaming Halls polish, and an update to Circe's team.
  • Fixed Nameless Shepherd dialogue. He's a bit chattier now.
  • A certain quest has had some of the things you need to collect moved around to make it easier / more consistent.
  • Nerfed a powerful held item.
  • Improved Skyspear Passage visuals a little.
  • Tons and tons of minor fixes and movesets and polish, too many to list here.
  • Added some unused things for later.

Inner Rhymes

Trainer
Hi there! So I just downloaded this, and I wanted to ask which key I should press in order to activate the fast forward option.

http404error

Hi there! So I just downloaded this, and I wanted to ask which key I should press in order to activate the fast forward option.
Hello, thanks for your interest in our game. There is no fast forward option built in. You can adjust the text display speed in the options, and you'll receive the Running Shoes after the intro area. Fortunately you don't need to grind XP in our game, but I could see still wanting to speed up battle animations or walking through grass for specific Pokémon, etc.

I have also seen other players mod in fast-forward but I don't know the full list of steps to do that (If it helps to know, this is using Essentials v19). If you do figure out a way to implement fast-forward, I recommend making sure to read the explanatory text in the intro and first area to make sure you don't miss important game rule changes and advice.

http404error

Perish Song has been renamed to Pokémon: Salt & Shadow!
(We wanted to improve our searchability.)

Salt & Shadow has been updated to version 1.5.3! (click to download)
As always, you will keep your save game when updating. This time, your save folder should also automatically be renamed.

Major features:
  • 💀⭐PERISH MODE has been added for an extra level of challenge! You can select Perish Mode only when starting a new game, after you choose your starter. This is an experimental feature we're looking to balance test! Foes will be higher level and buying items will be harder, so bring your A-game!
  • ⭐Learn rare moves by finding an Ancestral Machine, a consumable item that can teach egg moves and certain tutor moves.
  • ⭐Find the new powerful held item, the Ancient Amulet! It's hyper cool!
  • ⭐Consumed held items are refunded at the end of battle. Consequently, items of this type which were dropped in a stack of 6 now only give a single copy. You'll still have 6 if you have an old save file, so go by the honor system!
  • Fancy title cards appear when you move between areas.
  • New music has been added for battles.
Other changes:
  • The Farmlands have been reorganized a bit to reward early-game routing better.
  • Talking to Suit when you have only a few players left to find will have him identify their locations for you. Talking to Phaedra after reaching the Crystal Beacons now changes her dialogue.
  • Puzzle Battles have had their natures and IVs affixed.
  • Fixed possible Angler lock in Boiling Sands
  • Some minor map visual improvements
  • A few super-endgame legendaries have have their starting levels reduced to increase the difficulty of the game and add more choices for where to spend powerful shreds of hope and how to build late game teams. A secret pokemon has been significantly reduced in power to prevent totally trivializing the game. All affected pokemon are still very powerful.
  • A guardian of an aerial path has been given a new trick. An aquatic boss's team has been updated. A mountain boss's ace pokemon has been given a better moveset.

GubGar

Connoisseur of Minigames and Sidequests.
Played through part of the game back when it was Perish Song, and when I saw the rebrand I recalled I had never finished it, so I went through from 0 again. The main gameplay loop is really fun, eliminating exp sounds like a gimmick at first but honestly really works in this game's favor, I think it would be significantly less enjoyable if grinding was an option.

Gauging risk versus reward, hunting for secrets to get better Pokemon and better items, as well as level ups made for a really enjoyable experience. The story went a bit over my head (likely because I have not yet gotten the True Ending), but the general bullet points came together by the end of it. The only main downside I'd say is near the endgame I would have loved for more fast travel spots, or a more fleshed out map. Because there's a certain point where hopping around the map in search of secrets starts to get frustrating when you've cleared most of it out. But that definitely wasn't a major issue for most of the game. So it definitely didn't hurt the game's quality.

I got the main ending, will likely try for the True Ending at a later date after I let the game settle in my head for a little. Overall very fun and most excitingly very unique. Which I love, because I think games that twist the core formula in different ways are some of the coolest fangames. Here's my endgame team!

salt and shadow team.png

Dragonite was my MVP but Mega Scizor and Mega Swampert helped clear out the stuff Dragonite couldn't handle. Honorable mentions to Entei, Darkrai, and Mega Slowbro who were all super useful during Elite 4 matches but didn't survive to fight the Champ.

http404error

@GubGar Thanks for playing, and for leaving a nice review! Naturally, we agree about the benefits of altering the core gameplay recipe :)

Yeah, I know what you mean, there are some areas you might want to visit frequently that are a ways away from a good fly spot, such as the Queen's Garden, which has a particularly unintuitive best-route (via the Summit). I'll make a note to look into that down the line.

Love to see that Mega Slowbro representation!

Just for my own curiosity, did you get the reward for collecting 150 unique species of Pokémon, as well as defeat the Steel Father?

GubGar

Connoisseur of Minigames and Sidequests.
@http404error Didn't manage to reach the 150 unique species, which is something I'll probably go back and attempt to do since I was pretty close to doing so but on a whim wanted to test my fortune against the Champion (and unexpectedly managed to clutch a win thanks to Dragon Dance Outrage Dragonite!).

But I did defeat the Steel Father! That was probably one of the coolest parts of the experience, honestly, because it was intuitive, but out of the way if you weren't paying attention. And it offered a really fun and unique set of rewards. Felt like I was fighting back against the world's unfairness by stacking the deck in my favor for a change.

safr

Elite Trainer
@GubGar Thanks for playing, and for leaving a nice review! Naturally, we agree about the benefits of altering the core gameplay recipe :)

Yeah, I know what you mean, there are some areas you might want to visit frequently that are a ways away from a good fly spot, such as the Queen's Garden, which has a particularly unintuitive best-route (via the Summit). I'll make a note to look into that down the line.

Love to see that Mega Slowbro representation!

Just for my own curiosity, did you get the reward for collecting 150 unique species of Pokémon, as well as defeat the Steel Father?
Your game deserve more attention. It's truly unfortunate that many poketuber not finding this because the gameplay not suitable for click bait people just as eyrei creator of pokemon vanguard said in his channel this pretty good game. This game give challenge and sometimes frustration yet reward with satisfaction when able to win and progress. Thank once again

http404error

Your game deserve more attention. It's truly unfortunate that many poketuber not finding this because the gameplay not suitable for click bait people just as eyrei creator of pokemon vanguard said in his channel this pretty good game. This game give challenge and sometimes frustration yet reward with satisfaction when able to win and progress. Thank once again
Thanks, we intend to do some marketing after the next patch. I believe in the game's ability to sell itself once you know about it and get into it a bit, but we haven't put effort into spreading the word yet.

Back