• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Blooming Beast - Chapters 1-3

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
waterfall%20title.gif

One year ago, your gym leader title was revoked and you were forced into an early retirement. But when a new opportunity brings you to the Hallio region, you'll find yourself enveloped in a region-spanning conspiracy. Just like in any mainline game, you'll catch Pokemon and battle gym leaders, but you'll also ask questions, team up with characters, and investigate the history of the region to figure out Hallio's biggest secret: Who is the Beast?

oP9E%2FP.png
LOK7EH.png
y0hEaV.png

~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~
Pokémon Blooming Beast is a plot-focused fan game that still offers the traditional Pokémon experience. It includes:
  • A fully-fledged conversation system with dynamic dialogue that reacts as you learn more
  • An original region to explore with new fakemon and regional variants
  • Gen 9 content
  • A difficulty curve geared towards experienced fans without being Kaizo levels of punishing
  • Over 400 expressive talksprites
  • A diverse regional dex
  • Modified pseudo-legendary starters (yes, including Togepi!)
  • A battle facility with endless replayability
  • HMs usable from the PC, and other quality of life features
  • Witty and charming writing alongside an engaging plotline
  • And more!
~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~​
Woah, what's this "conversation system" in the bullet points above?
I'm so glad you asked, theoretical person! As you meet new characters, you'll have the option to ask them about themselves, the history of the region, their opinion on other characters, and more! As you learn more, either through these interactions or by progressing through the game, the options you can ask each character will expand. Exploring these options will make characters more likely to sponsor you in your goal of becoming a gym leader, while also offering clues to piece together a dark secret that preys upon the Hallio region.

2023-05-21-18_45_24-117-png.156636

Okay that's cool, but what if I just want to play it like a normal Pokémon game?
That's fine, too! These conversation options are just that: options. You can still get a complete experience (at least up to gym 3, for now) without them.

~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~​

The full game is still in development, and we are open to feedback! The current version goes up to the 6th gym and has an estimated playtime of 10 hours, excluding optional content. Included in the game is a link to a playtester survey. This survey is optional, but recommended. It is the best way to support the game.

This is the second of four chapters planned for Pokémon Blooming Beast. Each update is expected to take about a year to develop.
  • Chapter 1: Hallio Lowlands (released)
  • Chapter 2: Coreop Canyon (released)
  • Chapter 3: Hallio Highlands Part 1 (released)
  • Chapter 4: Hallio Highlands Part 2 (in development)
The game includes all of chapters 1-3, which flow seamlessly into each other.

For frequent progress reports on these upcoming updates, please consider joining our Discord server.
If you're looking for a wiki, use this spreadsheet. If your question is not answered there, try asking on the Discord.

~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~

Download link:
Download Pokémon Blooming Beast v0.3.2 on itch.io

~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~

2022-08-19-10_57_18-495-png.156632
2022-07-26-19_28_25-385-png.156633

2022-12-15-15_34_07-129-png.156634
2023-11-21-15_38_18-853-png.160767

2024-06-14-20_54_39-650-png.160766
2024-06-14-20_30_39-905-png.160765

2023-02-12-16_44_06-705-png.156640
2024-06-08-18_50_38-857-png.160761

Created by KRLW890 using Pokémon Essentials v20.1.
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~

Character overworld and battle sprites by Irwiza
Character talksprites by KRLW890

Special thanks to AenaonDogsky and Nephae for talksprites used as bases and reference

Pokémon sprites by:
Gen 1-5 sprites from the official games.
Gen 6-8 front sprites by the Smogon community:
GeoisEvil
aXl
TheAetherPlayer
leParagon
N-Kin
Quanyails
Wobblebuns
RedRooster
Wyverii
princessofmusic
Basic Vanillite
Larryturbo
TheCynicalPoet
Arkeis
Layell
paintseagull
Siiilver
Branflakes325
Noscium
Sleet
Zermonious
Bynine
Corson
Legitimate Username
Galifia
TrainerSplash
Farriella
G.E.Z.
TeraVolt
Dleep
WPS
Brylark
Zerudez
MyMarshlands
fishbowlsoul90
HealnDeal
Espeon Scientist
AMVictory
Mega-Pokebattlerz
HM100
Blaquaza
KingOfThe-X-Roads
Spook
Cynda
Involuntary Twitch
mjco
Z-nogyroP
PumpkinPastel
RadicalCharizard
arinoelle
Travis
SpheX
KattenK
Katten
Hematite
with minor edits by KRLW890.

Gen 9 front sprites primarily by King-of-the-X-roads
with additional sprites by Grand Emperor of Zelron, Travis, and Blaquaza

Gen 6+ back sprites by the Gen 4-style Gen 5 and beyond back sprite resource:
Dreadwing93
Prodigal96
MM980
44tim44
Gnomowladny
MetalFlygon
Zygoat
WolfPP
lichenprincess
BiggusWeeabus
ChromusSama
briochee
Mak
KRLW890
Loafus022
Sopita_Yorita
lennybitao
Scept
Travis
MrEoncito
IDesbas/Angy
I'mBadAtStuff
SkidMarc25
Mesayas
PorousMist326
NanaelJustice

Gen 6-9 animated menu icons from the Gen 3/4/5-style menu icons for Gen 6+ Pokémon project:
KRLW890
PorousMist326
KafeiKeton
Struedelmuffin
Caruban
CarmaNekko
AxelLoquendo
Cesare_Cbass
MBCMechachu
Vent

Move animations by the Gen 8 move animation project.

Overworld truck sprites by OgJazz.

Music from the official games, DrakeSycamore, Mixeli, AdAstra, Jag 00, MasteredRealm and KRLW890.

Speed-up plugin by Marin and PhantomBass.
Essentials v20.1 Hotfixes v1.0.7 by Maruno.
Essentials Deluxe, Enhanced UI, and Improved Mementos by Lucidious89.
Bag Screen With Interactable Party by DiegoWT.
Gen 9 Resource Pack by Caruban.
Near-Universal TMs by FL.
Enhanced Staircases by Marin.
A-Star Pathfinding by Voltseon, Golisopod User, and ENLS

~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~ ❀ ~~

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

~❀ Thank you for checking out the game! ❀~

Attachments

• [2023-05-21] 19_50_39.364.png
    [2023-05-21] 19_50_39.364.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 637
  • [2023-05-21] 20_08_35.860.png
    [2023-05-21] 20_08_35.860.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 643
  • [2023-05-21] 19_48_46.582.png
    [2023-05-21] 19_48_46.582.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 649
  • [2022-08-19] 10_57_18.495.png
    [2022-08-19] 10_57_18.495.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 656
  • [2022-07-26] 19_28_25.385.png
    [2022-07-26] 19_28_25.385.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 631
  • [2022-12-15] 15_34_07.129.png
    [2022-12-15] 15_34_07.129.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 640
  • [2023-02-12] 16_44_06.705.png
    [2023-02-12] 16_44_06.705.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 636
  • loudred-hallio.png
    loudred-hallio.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 664
  • 023_splash.png
    023_splash.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 7,661
  • [2023-05-21] 18_45_24.117.png
    [2023-05-21] 18_45_24.117.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,815
Last edited:

safr

Elite Trainer
Although for me the demo is short, it's enjoyable to try the regional form, i also like the starting town is big city because it just giving me a different vibe from other game, stay healthy and hope this will be completed someday 👍🙂

KRLW890

The Beast
v0.1.3 patch notes:

I wasn’t planning on uploading another version until part 2 (which is getting very close to completion!), but someone pointed out a very bad glitch, so here we are. However, since I’m uploading a new version anyway, and I already had Gen 9 content working for part 2, I decided to go ahead and copy all applicable changes over to this version, meaning that Gen 9 Pokémon are now available in Pokémon Blooming Beast! I also added a handful of QoL and UI plugins, here’s what changed:
  • Added Gen 9 content
  • Fixed a bug where players could get softlocked by credits
  • Added “Pokémon Essentials Hotfixes” plugin
  • Added “Bag Screen With Interactable Party” plugin; the player’s party now appears in the bag menu
  • Added “Essentials Deluxe” and “Enhanced UI” plugins:
    • Egg groups and IV ratings now appear in the Pokémon summary screen
    • Pressing N in battle opens battle info popup
    • Pressing M while selecting a move in battle opens move data popup
  • Other minor bug fixes

IV ratings
These are the IV ranges for each grade of the IV rating in a Pokémon’s summary screen:

F: 0
D: 1-4
D+: 5-8
C: 9-12
C+: 13-17
B: 18-21
B+: 22-25
A: 26-29
A+: 30
S: 31

And like always, save files automatically carry over from previous versions; the game takes care of compatibility issues with new plugins on its own.

KRLW890

The Beast
Pokémon Blooming Beast Part 2 release and v0.2.1 patch

Part 2 is here! This update adds the second and third gym leaders, doubles the number of explorable areas, and introduces a system I've been very excited to share: the dynamic conversation system! Talk to gym leaders and other major characters to piece together the secrets of the Hallio region, with your options expanding as your character learns more.

While v0.2.0 was the initial release for part 2, I delayed announcing it here because some bugs were very quickly found. These bugs have been fixed in v0.2.1, so I hope everyone enjoys!

KRLW890

The Beast
Pokémon Blooming Beast v0.2.2 Patch

A small patch releasing alongside our feature in Eevee Expo. It features some minor bug fixes, some new dialogue, and most notably, an update to the conversation menus; options will now appear faded if you've already selected them, and they'll even go back to indicate when you can get more information by selecting an option again.

Attachments

• grey text.png
    grey text.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 97

KRLW890

The Beast
Pokémon Blooming Beast v0.2.3 Patch

Hello everyone! I’m back again with a big patch for the game! This is technically a minor patch, since it’s not adding part 3, but it’s almost definitely going to be the biggest “minor patch” the game ever sees! Here’s what’s in it:

Character portraits!
I’ve been wanting to add these for a long time! I’ve gone back through the entire game and added talksprites to dialogue for every major character. There’s over 170 of these just across the 7 characters currently in the game, spanning a wide range of different expressions. They add so much life to each scene, so even if you’ve already played an earlier version, it might be worth replaying to see these in action! If you’re not so keen on doing that, though, I’ve compiled a video of all the cutscenes in the game as of this version, which you can see here.

Climb the Astilba River
Fun fact: I originally planned for part 2 to include more of the Astilba River, but ended up removing it for time. But most of the River is still supposed to be in the Coreop Canyon (part 2’s namesake), so I’ve added it back in! This tags a new extended area to explore for about an extra 20 minutes of content, even if you’ve already completed part 2! Consider this part 2.5, though this is not going to become the norm. After this, new areas won’t be added until part 3.

(Also, for no reason in particular, I highly recommend not muting the music when climbing the river 😉)

Fodil Town cutscene overhaul
After careful consideration, I’ve decided to completely rewrite the cutscene with Max/Gabriel in Fodil Town. I really don’t like overhauling important scenes like this, but the writing here was just inexcusably bad, and no amount of fun, expressive talksprites were going to save it. It still covers all the same points the original scene did, so players who only saw the original won’t be lost when Max/Gabriel becomes relevant later on. But this is another reason you might want to replay the game or at least watch the cutscene video.

San Vitalia City redesign
This was one of my first maps ever, and it shows. I’ve made it more compact and added some more details, which makes the city feel a bit larger and more alive. No real functional changes, though.

Other changes:
  • Fixed a bug where the game would crash when trying to sell items.
  • Fixed a bug with collision in Hidden Sanctuary.
  • Added soft Exp caps for each gym leader; Exp gain is significantly reduced for Pokémon at or above the level of the next gym leader’s ace.
  • Added a small 2nd floor to East Coreop Mine.
  • Gave some UI to Amy’s Beast investigation dialogue.
  • Updated a few Pokémon menu icons.
  • Lowered encounter rates in caves.
  • HMs can now be forgotten anytime as long as the player has another Pokémon that knows the move.
  • Added various softlock prevention measures.
  • Fixed a bug that was affecting Pokémon happiness upon level up.
  • Updated the Enhanced UI plugin; friendship meter now appears in a Pokémon’s summary.
  • Added the option to immediately check a chosen starter’s summary if the game has been loaded once before.
  • Professor Orchid in Fodil Town now gives the player the Shiny Charm if they’ve registered 213 Pokémon, the maximum for this point in the game.
  • Renamed Shadow Assault to Spectral Assault.
  • Adjusted some trainers.
  • Tweaked some dialogue.
  • Fixed some move animations.
  • Added some secret sauce.
  • Other minor changes.

KRLW890

The Beast
Pokémon Blooming Beast v0.2.4 Patch

In contrast to the massive patch that was v0.2.3, we have an extremely minor patch in v0.2.4, which is a small handful of bug fixes. In particular to address some bugs that were crashing the game in some niche circumstances. No new content, but it's worth the update if you're still playing through it.

KRLW890

The Beast
v0.2.5 patch and chapter 3 news
The last patch for chapter 2 is here, mostly as a little thing in preparation of chapter 3. It overhauls a lot of stuff under the hood, but in terms of actual content, not too much has changed. Though there are a few noticeable additions:
  • Revamped the Coreop Watch cutscene. If you really have nothing better to do, I guess you can replay the game to see this? It takes about 1.5-2 hours to reach, and the new sequence is only about 10 minutes long, so you can decide for yourself whether you think that's worth it. This was mostly added for new players.
  • Added Dipplin (technically Hydrapple too, but you won't be able to evolve again until chapter 3)
  • Revamped move reminder functionality. Talk to the general tutor in any Pokémon Center to get the details.
  • Added a new control binding menu, accessible anytime from the start/pause menu with the "Controls" option. The old F1 menu is technically still there since that's something that comes with RPG Maker, but don't use it because it's completely ignored and overridden by the new system.
  • The Exp. All can no longer be accidentally skipped. It can still be turned off, but it's now mandatory to at least receive it.
  • New sprites for Possite, Posselganger, and a few others.
  • Added Marks.
  • Fixed the Jaboca Berry glitch.
  • Minor dialogue tweaks.
  • Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.
In addition to that, chapter 3 now has a trailer and release date! The new trailer is linked at the top of the post, so please check it out. See you in June :)

KRLW890

The Beast
Pokémon Blooming Beast chapter 3

Chapter 3 is finally here! This massive update doubles the size of the game, adding new areas to explore, new characters to interact with, and new fakemon to discover. This brings the game up to gym 6, with an estimated 10 hours of playtime, excluding optional content (which there is a lot of!).

As the penultimate chapter of a whodunnit plot, the point where chapter 3 leaves off was specifically chosen to give players as much content as possible to think over without altogether giving the mystery away, so I truly believe that now is the absolute best time to start playing!

KRLW890

The Beast
v0.3.1 patch

Just a minor update to put some extra polish on some things that were missed in the rush to release chapter 3:
  • Adjusted early route encounters; notably, this adds the Sizzlipede line to the game’s dex
  • Added conversation dialogue for Randall
  • Berries planted by the player now grow properly
  • Adjusted prices and payouts of festival coins in Mirable City to be more player-friendly
  • Lowered starter evolution levels from 46 to 45
  • Aromori can actually learn its signature move now
  • Adjusted a bunch of Pokémon learnsets; among other changes, stone evolutions learn moves gradually like their pre-evolved forms now
  • Tweaked Amy, Julia, Aster, and Randall’s teams
  • The Waterfall HM NPC is now more obvious
  • The Pokédex now displays types for Pokémon that have only been seen. The Pokédex’s "search by type" feature will also include Pokémon that have been seen but not caught
  • Made a bunch of ribbons obtainable
  • Fixed Pokédex rewards
  • Changed TM74 from Gyro Ball to Iron Head
  • Fixed a bug where the player could leave the first Watch cutscene and trigger it again, potentially deleting the player’s Pokémon
  • Fixed a bug with Kamulus using Weather Ball
  • Redirection abilities no longer affect allies
  • The second Ditto trade no longer crashes the game
  • Removed playtesterdata.txt and functionality ingame
  • Added Gym Leader Application Form.pdf
  • Adjusted some dialogue
  • Added a bunch of flavor text
  • Minor sprite updates
  • Other minor changes

KRLW890

The Beast
v0.3.2 patch

A quick, minor patch with some bug fixes:
  • Fixed a bug that in semi-rare cases would crash the game when talking to Amy
  • Fixed a bug that prevented Magmar, Electabuzz, and Tinkatuff from evolving into their final forms
  • Adjusted berry growing times and removed the replant system; ripened berries now stay ripe indefinitely
  • The Exp. All no longer deregisters itself when used
  • Fixed the version updater to prevent softlocking in Poppi Town
  • Boosted the base friendship of certain baby Pokémon with friendship-based evolutions
  • Minor dialogue tweaks and typo fixes

Back