• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Golden Sun / Silver Moon Demo

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
Untitled4202.png

About​

Play as Gladion as he traverses through Johto after the events of USUM. (Yes I know he presumably goes to Kanto first but Kanto is boring and I do what I want.)
Things have changed in Johto over the past seven years. Meet an interesting cast of characters, new and old.
This demo goes up to the second gym and the cutscene in the library with Phoenix.
Basically your standard Pokemon experience, but with a fun little twist on it.
Made in Pokemon Essentials V20!​

Screenshots​

BeFunky-collage (1).png

Planned Features​

The rest of the game. (Duh)
Regional forms!
Sidequests! Lots of 'em!
Kanto! Maybe! We'll see how it goes!

Known Bugs​

collision issues! fun!
a few typos here and there
following pokemon being a little odd and trailing far behind. on and off issue.
opening the trainer card crashes the game for some reason. so uh. dont do that!

side stairs are a bit finnicky at times, but functional
pokeballs in pokemon center are misaligned
pokemon center theme begins playing in Morty's gym very menacingly. kind of funny.

Download​

Credits (in no particular order)​

Made the logo, redesigned Gladion, MASSIVE help with story and wrote a good chunk of the dialogue:
Lackunosa
Scripting, making the game, redesigns, dialogue portraits and most sprites:
BattleLegendBlue

Alfpixel
aveontrainer
PeekyChew
Heavy-Metal-Lover
Dewitty
Magiscarf
ChaoticCherryCake
Kyle Dove (Kymotonian)
KingTapir
Princess Phoenix
the-red-ex
zetavares852
Alucus
CNC
speedialga
spacemotion
pokemon-diamond
kizemaru-kurunosuke
epicday
thurpok
ultimospriteriametrine
minorthreat0987
tyranitardark
saliorvicious
kkkaito
wesleyfg
boomixbig
takai-of-the-fire
hek-el-grande
kymotonian
princelegendario
kaitodesign
thatssowitty
All contributors to smogon X/Y Sun/Moon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
LunarDusk
Wolfang62
TintjeMadelintje101
piphybuilder88
larry turbo
sagedeoxys
tammyclaydon
misseylukey
help-14
Kymoyonian
cSc-A7X
2and2makes5
Pokegirl4ever
Fernandojl
Silver-Skies
Getsuei-H
Kid1513
Milomilotic11
Kyt666
kdiamo11
Chocosrawlooid
Syledude
Gallanty
Gizamimi-Pichu
2and2makes5
Zyon17
spritesstealer
Alaguesia
Marin
MapleBranchWing
Contributors to the DS Styled GEN 7+ Repository
Leparagon
Rhyden
Zeak6464
Luka S.J
UberDunsparce
Wolf PP
Lucidious89
Joltik
Benitex
Umbreon
DeepBlue PacificWaves
Sashu-Greninja
Tommaniacal
Weibrot
Kobi2604
Dirkriptide
Ploaj
Mr. Gela
AenaonDogsky
VannilaSunshine
Pokémon Essentials was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

CHANGELOG​

10/15/22 (V 1.0.5)
Fixed being sent to purgatory after losing to trainers before going to your first Pokemon Center
Re-added map metadata that was mysteriously deleted (battle backgrounds etc)
Fixed Pokemon Center glitch after losing to silver
Fixed collision glitches
Encounters modified
10/14/22 (V 1.0.4)
Most houses now have interiors
Houses that don't have interiors now say that the door is locked
Pokeballs finally aligned in Pokemon Center
FIXED STAIR SOFTLOCK FOR REAL THIS TIME. I PLAYTESTED IT SEVERAL TIMES OVER. IT SHOULD BE FIXED.
Town map added, but since there's no fly it doesn't do much
Surf sprite added. You can't surf yet. It does nothing.
Removed herobrine
10/13/22 (V 1.0.3)
Fixed stair softlock! again!
10/13/22 (V 1.0.2)
Trees changed as I forgot to remove the placeholder tile (oops)
Fixed stair softlock
10/12/22 (V 1.0.1)
Changed level scaling
Trainer card bug fixed (removed the trainer card for time being)
Following Pokemon EX removed (will be added back at a later date)
Some teams tweaked to be a little less unfair
Typos fixed
removed the leftover debug plant from ecruteak
Visual glitches fixed
added trainers explaining which routes are currently inaccessible
Fixed several collision issues

Last edited:

Pokemonninja

Trainer
It look so good

Edit: My game crash can you give me a link so I can fix it

Screenshot_2022-10-12-16-56-12-933.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

catchneko

average goomy enjoyer
(I'm writing this as I play the game, so it's gonna be messy)

The game's pretty fun but if a bit of constructive criticism and bug reporting is okay, the Pokédex area map crashes the game and neither of the gates in Route 49 seem to work despite the game suggesting that they're supposed to (I walked right on top of the southern one :/). If they're incomplete and not intended to be walked through in the demo, I'd suggest putting an NPC or something mentioning that specifically for the demo.

Not only that the music seems all over the place. The route theme was playing in the Olivine Pokémon Center for whatever reason? The Violet City Gym just just plays the normal city theme? And... is the route supposed to not have its own music? It keeps playing the Olivine/Violet City theme.
And none of the trainers have any unique music, which is a little boring. Fighting Falkner to the basic HGSS Kanto trainer theme was pretty lame.

Actually going and looking at the game, the map direction is a little confusing, and the proper way to go is not quite made apparent to the player at first.
1665608694346.png

It could be a little more apparent that the proper way to go is through this fence and that the gates lead somewhere the player isn't meant to go to at that point in the game.
1665609084663.png
also nooooooo Herbert can't keep up with me (but you already mentioned this being a known thing) :(
1665610081011.png
1665610188157.png
1665611941769.png
1665612672993.png
1665613325429.png

I'm not sure how many of the collision bugs are known to you but I'll just post all the ones I found here. (Ledges seem to be 4-way, which defeats the point of them?)
1665610815162.png

Falkner Gym
Falkner Gym
Anyway back to the actual game, it's really fun, and pretty well-balanced. It takes a lot of the grindiness that the original Johto games had away at least. The encounter variety early game is pretty mid, at least from what I've seen. It just seems mostly to be standard early game Johto fare but a bit worse, with Mareep being the only thing that counters Gym 1 (maybe add Geodude or something?). Are there places besides Route 49 to encounter wild Pokemon prior to Falkner? And are those mons better than basically being stuck with Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie, Weedle, Oddish, Sentret, and Mareep?
Some of the trainers are annoyances for reasons they shouldn't be. Spearow wiping my team with Fury Attack was not fun, neither was Hoothoot soaking up hits and setting up Echoed Voice to murder anything in its way without remorse.
Also please let me buy Antidotes and Paralyze Heals before badge 1 🥺

Moving onto Route 31, the encounters don't get much better. The only new mons are Bellsprout, Ledyba, and Spinarak, but the player already has access to Oddish, Butterfree, and Beedrill by this point. Dark Cave seems unavailable as of yet, so I'm assuming we're stuck with not very much mon variety.
And then Route 30 has the exact same Pokemon.
1665612103295.png

That's okay, my gang has got this.

Following down Route 29, the encounter variety, again, doesn't go up very high. I don't care for Paras or Hoppip on top of the two other grass types I could catch earlier, with still nothing else BUT normal, grass, bug and flying types.
Plus Gastly at night. That's nice at least.
1665612354519.png

And Route 46 is inaccessible. Darn. My only other chance at Geodude foiled.
1665612403371.png
YOU MOCK ME.
1665612496441.png
Shut up. I am funny.
Minor bug: If you do the thing where you keep pissing him off and he fights you and you lose (I did not because I'm good at the game and amazing and Penny swept the whole fight shoutout to @Penny55gg they're amazing and based), you briefly warp to a pokemon center and then back into the overworld, and next time you visit a pokemon center you get automatically healed the moment you walk in.
1665612989186.png
Also edgeboy got stuck here.
Only finally on Route 36 do you get some varied encounters: The Nidos, Growlithe/Vulpix, and Stantler too ig.

1665613542657.png
Weird offset when healing mons.

5 Gastly lady in Morty's gym was not necessary. It was already stupid in the original games but it was Gym 4 in the original games and they made a ton of bad decisions. I don't want to fight 5 Level 14-15 Gastly. Especially not at what is now Gym 2.
1665613942228.png
This is my team. It isn't able to handle Gastly spam very well, and due to the absence of Fearow, Drowzee, Kadabra, Umbreon, etc the player could usually have at Morty's gym in GSC/HGSS, it just ends up being annoying instead of remotely challenging (also STILL no Misdreavus???? damn everyone hates the johto ghost :( )

Morty's fight itself is where the bad encounter variety begins to show. You give the player a bunch of bug, grass, and normal types and little else, and make them fight a ghost gym with a LITWICK of all things.

The dialogue portraits are really nice-looking and very expressive, though. I like them! I had been planning on implementing dialogue portraits of my own in a future game of mine after my current WIP is done.
The new characters are really interesting and unique (Gale's funny I like him) and the returning characters have some cool new designs. I like the story so far and I definitely will play the full version when it comes out.

Anyway that was my big giant post about this game. Overall it's a little rough around the edges but definitely a fun experience.

Last edited:
Hello! I played through the demo on stream and just thought I'd leave my thoughts:
I had fun playing through this demo! I find games which revisit cannon locations and characters really interesting, and it is cool seeing what they do with them. And this game was no exception. The favourite thing about this game for me would have to be the characters and the character interactions. Seeing Eusicune and Morty bicker like boyfriends, getting attacked by Silver and his Ho-oh. Blue's cool professor redesign. All really cool stuff, and I actually enjoyed the original characters a lot too. They were fun!

That being said, I feel like this game need a lot more polish. I encountered a lot of bugs and things that just felt odd. A lot of passability didn't work, like being able to jump up ledges or walk on walls. Some transfer events felt oddly placed. A lot of the map design feels like it should be tightened up. There were so many paths in the game that you aren't allowed to go down. The game doesn't tell you that it is blocked, you just literally can't go certain ways for some reason. And in general the towns all felt rather empty, part of this having to do with the fact that most houses don't have interiors, you just walk into the door and nothing happens.

I think this game is really fun and promising, however I think before you go on to make new content, it is worth making sure that the existing areas feel finished and fleshed out. I look forward to what is to come.

laherag

Rookie
is there some sort of dev mode I can use for when I get stuck? I'm at the place where catchneko said "edgeboy got stuck", but my game is saved in that spot, I don't know of any way to get out of it

catchneko

average goomy enjoyer
is there some sort of dev mode I can use for when I get stuck? I'm at the place where catchneko said "edgeboy got stuck", but my game is saved in that spot, I don't know of any way to get out of it
I solved it by opening up the game in RPG Maker and playing it in debug mode through playtesting specifically in case I got softlocked that way. Pressing Ctrl (the walk through walls button) fixed it.

I believe you'd need to have RPG Maker XP to do this yourself though.

deoxysacid

Novice
Are you playing V1.0.2 or 1.0.3?

Nutcase71733

Cooltrainer
I guess TMs wont be reusable in this game?

EDIT: Also what gen are the movepools of all pokemon at? I presume at least gen 7 given Gladion is who you play as, but I wanna be sure since I got a pretty good hoothoot which I would like to breed, but for it to get Night Shade it would need to be gen 8 move standards at least.

Last edited:

safr

Elite Trainer
I encounter some bug my first is when i open my trainer card the other is music but other than that i love how you use the heart gold esque graphics and the character portrait make the game more exciting, i also love the story beginning. So thank you for this demo and be safe and stay healthy 👍🏻🙂

LilyInTheWater

Novice
Can you please put a heal machine in New Bark Town? My pokemon are on the verge of death and I had to piss off Silver into teleporting me to the nearest pokemon center and taking 240 pokedollars from my wallet so I could get healing.

Back