• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Tips for Making Fangames

Djaco75

MasterMind
My main thing to mention would be to not focus too much on the interfaces, but focus on the main story. Too many times I have seen the game so overloaded with interfaces the plot becomes boring, as do the maps. Without a good plot, the game is useless...

Roenais

Rookie
Don't be afraid to keep to the formula. I see some games that make a lot of wild changes from the Pokemon series staples, like doing away with starters, gyms, badges, etc, and while they definitely do work and can be AMAZING, there are cases where it feels like a change was only made because they wanted something 'unique' and 'innovative' when the game would've been fine without it. I'd much rather play a simple but engaging story that follows every staple of the main series games than a broken and confusing game that only exists to try and throw a twist on it.

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
Make the game you want to play - don't worry about pleasing other people!
This isn't to say to reject any and all critique, but don't make a game to meet the desires of others, you'll never please everyone and never finish it. Make a game that you're excited to make!

If you lose motivation, take a break and try to relax a bit, you could be over stressing yourself. If you find it hard to get back into the swing of things still, then try looking at other fangames, or other completed fan games! you may find inspiration! I just saw a whole slew of games in progressing showcase that got me excited to work on a game!

If you're having trouble figuring out where to start, start simple! Whats the point of your game? what do you want the theme to be? whose the mascot pokemon? IS there a mascot pokemon? What pokemon are you including? What is the professors name? Who will you be playing as?

Start somewhere! If you're not sure what the plot will be, then try thinking about where you want the region to take place, and how you want it to look, you could be inspired to base the villain off of a popular folk-lore or tale from the area you want to create.

If you don't know where to start a map and are getting discouraged, think of the kind of map you want to make - eg, will it be a beach map? a forest map? a mountain map? etc, and then just map!! seriously, the best and easiest way to map is to just start somewhere.
Take it from me, you're never finished with a map! You'll always look back on it and see something you want to change, so don't stress making the map "perfect" on your first go!

Spriting can be real hard, especially if you want to make a unique character! A really good way to start is to find concept art to base it off of- eg, what will the hairstyle look like, know it? google it! then try, how will their outfit look? find a reference!

A really great way to get progress done is to find someone you can brainstorm or bounce ideas off of! I have an amazing friend I talk to about fan game shit and even a short conversation with him gets me thinking of amazing ideas, and likewise with him! I've given him so many great ideas out of the blue just from a short conversation! it's really bizarre! Talking really gets your creative juices flowing, so take any opportunity you can

Omegas

Trainer
I may be new here, but here is some good advice.
Make certain you backup your creation. Earlier today, I was making my game and when I went to playtest it, It told me that Crobat wasn't a species of Pokémon. I checked pokemon.txt and found that every Pokémon past Staryu spontaneously disappeared. Don't know how or why. Luckily, I had a back up handy.
Never underestimate how much time and headache an up to date backup can save you. If I didn't, I would have had to put all of those Pokémon back in including the new ones I added.

Sora

Trainer
I may be new here, but here is some good advice.
Make certain you backup your creation. Earlier today, I was making my game and when I went to playtest it, It told me that Crobat wasn't a species of Pokémon. I checked pokemon.txt and found that every Pokémon past Staryu spontaneously disappeared. Don't know how or why. Luckily, I had a back up handy.
Never underestimate how much time and headache an up to date backup can save you. If I didn't, I would have had to put all of those Pokémon back in including the new ones I added.

This is very important. One time, I tried to make a new weather system but apparently, the editor didn't like that and proceeded to delete my metadata pbs text.

Back