• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Resource Improved Field Skills [v20.1] [DEPRECATED] v1.0.4

Lucidious89

Champion
Lucidious89 submitted a new resource:

Improved Field Skills [v20.1] - A mod that allows for the use of HM's and other field moves without requiring the move!

Improved Field Skills for v20.1
A mod that allows for the use of HM's and other field moves without requiring a Pokemon to know the move.
Szje4Ge.gif
giphy.gif

Overview
This plugin aims to eliminate the need for requiring a Pokemon to...

Read more about this resource...

Lucidious89

Champion

Toxillian

Novice
Hey, Ludicious! There seems to be an issue on line 236 in the actual script, the !self.hasMove? seems to be causing an error. changing it to !pkmn.hasMove? fixes it though.

Lucidious89

Champion
Hey, Ludicious! There seems to be an issue on line 236 in the actual script, the !self.hasMove? seems to be causing an error. changing it to !pkmn.hasMove? fixes it though.
What does the error say?

Lucidious89

Champion

Lucidious89

Champion

Lucidious89

Champion

SirWeibrot

Novice
Hi, I'm trying to make it so the HMs require a certain switch rather than a badge, as the 2 aren't connected in my game

I know that I need to define the switches like
Ruby:
  HM_CUT_SWITCH             = 208

and then
Ruby:
if $game_switches[HM_CUT_SWITCH] = true

but I dont know how to add it to "[001] Field Skills" for each HM to check whether that switch is ON or not

Lucidious89

Champion
Hi, I'm trying to make it so the HMs require a certain switch rather than a badge, as the 2 aren't connected in my game

I know that I need to define the switches like
Ruby:
  HM_CUT_SWITCH             = 208

and then
Ruby:
if $game_switches[HM_CUT_SWITCH] = true

but I dont know how to add it to "[001] Field Skills" for each HM to check whether that switch is ON or not
I'm assuming you're asking because you want to use the HM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_BADGE setting in the plugin, so that HM Skills only appear in the menu if the appropriate badges (or in your case, switches) are enabled for that particular skill, correct? Because if you just want all HM Skills to show up in the menu from the start (regardless if they can be used yet or not), then simply setting this setting to "false" is all you gotta do.

Otherwise, if you want these skills to be hidden until the appropriate switch has been turned on, you kinda have to customize your own set up for this. How I set up the plugin was that I created a new method called pbBadgeFromSkill, which simply returns the number of badges required for each HM Skill (which is set up in the default Essentials settings). Then, the pbCheckHiddenMoveBadge script is called to check if the player has the appropriate badges for that move.

So really, there's not much to really change in the plugin itself. What you'd most likely have to do instead is change all of the "badge" settings in Essentials (BADGE_FOR_CUT, BADGE_FOR_SURF, etc, etc..) to return a switch number instead of a badge number. Then, edit the pbCheckHiddenMoveBadge method in Essentials so that it returns whether the appropriate switch has been enabled, instead of returning whether or not the player has the appropriate badges.

SirWeibrot

Novice
I'm assuming you're asking because you want to use the HM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_BADGE setting in the plugin, so that HM Skills only appear in the menu if the appropriate badges (or in your case, switches) are enabled for that particular skill, correct? Because if you just want all HM Skills to show up in the menu from the start (regardless if they can be used yet or not), then simply setting this setting to "false" is all you gotta do.
whoops that was my mistake, I actually have HM_SKILLS_REQUIRE_BADGE set to false, nothing was working because of a conflict with Advanced Items Field Moves, but I thought it was because of my edits.

A¹¹

Novice
Hi, sorry if it's too much to ask but right now I'm trying to make it so that the species field skills only work if a certain criteria is met (in this case a switch) but I assume I need to make something similar to pbBadgeFromSkill that checks individually for each field move's switch but I was struggling to do so, how do you
think I could do it?
1683467680338.png

Lucidious89

Champion
Hi, sorry if it's too much to ask but right now I'm trying to make it so that the species field skills only work if a certain criteria is met (in this case a switch) but I assume I need to make something similar to pbBadgeFromSkill that checks individually for each field move's switch but I was struggling to do so, how do you
think I could do it?
View attachment 17700
Is your new method meant to completely replace the badge checks, or does it work in addition to badge checks?

A¹¹

Novice
Is your new method meant to completely replace the badge checks, or does it work in addition to badge checks?
In addition to, I need so that the player has to use a specific pokemon for an HM until a little later, where I would allow the player to freely use surf with any pokemon

Lucidious89

Champion
In addition to, I need so that the player has to use a specific pokemon for an HM until a little later, where I would allow the player to freely use surf with any pokemon
Then above the line that returns true, I'd put a line that basically says "returns false if the switch is active and the Pokemon isnt the required species."

A¹¹

Novice
Then above the line that returns true, I'd put a line that basically says "returns false if the switch is active and the Pokemon isnt the required species."
Ruby:
      return false if self.species_data.has_skill?(:SURF) && !$game_switches[65] && !self.isSpecies?(:MAGIKARP)
      return true if self.species_data.has_skill?(skill) || self.hasMove?(skill)

Sorry for bothering again but the method above didn't work, did I type something wrong?

Lucidious89

Champion
Ruby:
      return false if self.species_data.has_skill?(:SURF) && !$game_switches[65] && !self.isSpecies?(:MAGIKARP)
      return true if self.species_data.has_skill?(skill) || self.hasMove?(skill)

Sorry for bothering again but the method above didn't work, did I type something wrong?
Why are you checking if the switch is NOT active? You want it to always return false only when the switch is ON for every Pokemon besides Magikarp.

Also, I didnt realize you wanted this to activate only on Surf specifically. Youll have to add an additional "if skill == :SURF" check in that case, too.

A¹¹

Novice
Why are you checking if the switch is NOT active? You want it to always return false only when the switch is ON for every Pokemon besides Magikarp.

Also, I didnt realize you wanted this to activate only on Surf specifically. Youll have to add an additional "if skill == :SURF" check in that case, too.
it still didn't work but regardless this is going too long so i'm either doing a help thread on discord or trying to figure it out myself, regardless thanks for helping

Lucidious89

Champion
ATTENTION! Final Version!
With the release of Essentials v21, the current version of this plugin (v1.0.4) will be the final version of Improved Field Skills for v20.1. Going forward I will instead be fully focused on v21, so I will no longer be updating or supporting this plugin. I intend to take a break before I even start thinking about how or when I'm going to start working on a v21 iteration of the plugin, so don't ask me about a time frame for release. I will keep this plugin available in the meantime. But this iteration of the plugin will eventually be removed once a v21 successor is released and takes its place. I will give fair warning before this happens, so don't panic.

See you all in v21!

Back