• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon: Split

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
ETA Next Version
Dec 16, 2022
Hi everybody and welcome to my fan game, Pokémon: Split

INTRO.png

A quick bit about me!

My name is Dale. I am a true OG Pokémon fan, having being given Pokémon: Blue for Christmas back in 1999, when I was 5 years old. I then owned every Pokémon game up until Platinum, including the same-gen variants as well as the Gamecube games and spin off games. I still love Pokémon to this day. I have a huge Pokémon card and product collection and have spent hundreds of hours developing this game and playtesting it.

I have done my best to make this game as fun as possible, so please talk to every NPC you find and look out for the hidden Easter Eggs and references within! Creating and developing this fan game has been so much fun, and I've tried my hardest to put out a high quality and fun game.

Now, for the game...

Pokémon: Split

Split takes place in a region which goes by the very same name Split.

Split is a region which is unique geographically, in that it is completely symmetrical down the centre divide. One side of the region is the Good / Sunny side, with the other side of the region being the Bad / Dark side.

Law and order prevails over the sunny side of Split, whereby people go about their daily lives with little-to-no crime or corruption to worry about. However, the same cannot be said for the dark side of the region. A side corrupt to its core, criminally and politically dominated by Team Rocket and their fiercely loyal supporters. A side of the region which many choose to avoid at all costs, and maybe you should do the same?

Your story begins at the prestigious Pokémon school within the city of Beautitude, the capital city of the sunny side of Split. You and your starter Pokémon will go about your school studies as normal, before things take a sudden and dark turn. You will have to download and play the game to find out exactly what happens!

You will battle your way across the region, earning the 8 badges of the Split Gym Challenge and ultimately taking on the Champion's Path and the Split Pokémon League! Your adventures will take you back and forth between each side of the region, forcing you to explore and venture through the dark and corrupt side of the region just as much as the sunny side. You will fight criminal gangs and look to put a stop to their evil plans to mutate and genetically modify Pokémon to gain an advantage. You will do what you can to stop them taking control of the entire region of Split.

This demo release takes you beyond the fourth gym. You will end the demo with 5 Pokémon around level 45. This game features many hours of content so there is plenty to play for.

Now, a few features of the game:
  • Pokémon from all generations.
  • Unique mutated forms of Pokémon.
  • Regional variants of existing Pokémon.
  • A unique and especially fun region.
  • Well thought out coincidences, symmetries and fun moments which reward exploration.
  • A plethora of Easter Eggs and references to the main line Pokémon games, the Anime, and real life!
  • Challenging battles and gym. You won't steam roll this game too easily!
  • Mid-battle dialogue to make key battles feel immersive and more interactive.
  • Well thought out choice of in-game-music to give you the best atmospheric and nostalgic feelings when playing.

Essentials version and Plugins used:
  • Pokémon Essentials v20.1
  • Pokémon Essentials v20.1Hotfixes
  • Essentials Deluxe
  • Always in Grass
  • Generation 8 Pack Scripts
  • Overworld Shadows EX
  • Public tiles as sourced from Relic Castle
  • Tiles and Overworlds from various sources across the Pokémon from over the years
  • and a huge thanks to the developers of all of the above!

Credits:
Game development (mapping, scripting, eventinmg, everything!):
Myself - DaleFails

Pokémon Essentials:
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
Golisopod User<s>Rataime
help-14<s>Savordez
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Essentials Deluxe: Lucidious89

Always in Bushes: Kotaro, Titania318, Kleinstudio, derFischae

Overworld Shadows EX: Golisopod User, Marin, WolfPP

Generation 8 Pack for Essentials v20.1:

Battler Sprites:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project

Overworld Sprites
Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo

Icon Sprites
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon

Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464

Script Credits:
Golisopod User, Luka S.J.

Compilation of Resources:
Golisopod User, UberDunsparce

v20.1 Hotfixes: Maruno

Public tiles and overworlds: SailorViscious, Magiscarf, Kyledove, WesleyFG

Officially licensed Pokémon credits:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Thank you again to all the above - these are some incredible resources.

And some screenshots too!

An example of why the region is called Split!

11.png
9.png

Mutated forms of Pokémon 🤓 (fun fact: this is actually the beta Cranidos sprite)
16.png
17.png

Some mid-battle-dialogue 🤩 (easily my favourite feature in any fan game!)
3.png
7.png
19.png
10.png

Some example Easter Eggs in the game 😎 (and look out for more, I have filled the game with them!)
6.png
8.png
14.png

Showcasing my love for the Gen 2 art style 😍 (check out retro_pokesprites on Instagram, his work is fantastic!)
20.png
22.png

And finally some more general screenshots 🙂
1.png
2.png
4.png
5.png
12.png
13.png
15.png
18.png

Now - for the game itself!

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD -
Google Drive Download Link - demo v0.0.6

To run the game:
1. Download the .zip folder
2. Extract the contents of the .zip folder
3. Run the 'Game' executable file and the game will run, no emulator required!

Release notes
v0.0.1
Initial demo release

v0.0.2
Bug fixes:
Eevee Fan battle no longer repeats
Sunnyshallow town name now appears correctly on Town Map
McBeauty Burger item now works as intended
Route 1 map connection realigned
Game Title corrected - should solve crashing

v0.0.3
Bug fixes:
Route 20 trees no longer passable
Random umbrellas removed from Willowroot
Duskridge trade now works as intended
Route 3 warp re-aligned
Some trainers LOS tweaked

v0.0.4
New features:
Increased selection of starter Pokémon choice
Fishing encounters added
Old Rod and Good Rod added
Fishing Overworld for player added

Bug fixes:
Beautitude grammatical errors fixed

v0.0.5
Bug fixes:
Mournedale gym trainer encounter crash fix
Acquiring third gym badge now enables Fly
Sunnyshallow berry trees trap fixed
Balancing tweaks from Route 1 to first gym
Given Pokéballs on Route 1
Sunkern now evolves into Duskfawna using a Moon Stone

v0.0.6
Bug fixes:
Power Plant entry getting-stuck bug fix
Fly points for Dawnridge and Duskridge fixed
Various text corrections
Various soundtrack amendments
Additional party heals added in
Various graphical fixes
Removed trade-obey levels
Multitude of other small bugs squashed

This is my first time uploading an RPGmaker project for download. Light testing seems to show it is working as intended. Please let me know of any issues.

Thank you to those who play, it really means a lot to share my passion for Pokémon with you! Please come and support / interact with me below:

Discord - Invite link!
TikTok - DaleFails
Instagram - DaleFailsGaming

Feedback and bug reports much appreciated!

Last edited:

mindbender12

Novice
I'm ready to write a full review of the demo. I've played up to the fourth gym (didn't finish it, as I'll explain below.) I'm not sure how honest to be, so hopefully this comes across as constructive.

I'll start with the positives:
World Design: I really like the maps, especially the dark versions. The light versions were a little bland, but the whole concept of maps being mirrors of each other made it decent. The routes were streamlined, and generally clear on which way to go. The towns were well designed and easy to navigate. The only complaint I have is that you didn't do a whole lot to utilize the mirror aspect. I would have loved for secrets to be hidden that would only be obvious if you compared cities to each other. Maybe have a hidden route in one town that would be a major road in the other. I know that would work better in a game akin to A Link Between Worlds, which this game isn't trying to be, but still utilizing a bit of that may add to the exploration of the world.

Character Designs: Not much to say here. Everyone looks good, albeit a lot of copied sprites from the main games, which isn't bad in of itself.

Music: Music was appropriate for each scene, and added to the game.

Story: Of what I saw of the story, it seems to be going in an interesting direction. Particularly interested in the rival's backstory.

Ok, on to the bad:
Pacing: After reading your comments regarding the timing of the dark side, I thought I would give it another go. However, after playing the demo, I'm only more convinced that the player travels over to the dark side way too late into the game. The dark side is far, far more interesting than its opposite. The characters are more interesting, the gym leaders are more memorable (I don't even remember the light side ones) and the rival is a 1000 times better than his counterpart, (with an actual motivation and backstory.) Honestly, if it wasn't for the game's whole concept of light/dark, I'd say ditch the light side entirely. The writing and characters are just much more compelling.

Story: While what I've seen of the story seems interesting, I feel like I haven't seen enough by this point. Perhaps there's some massive story dump following the fourth gym, but I didn't get to see that. The villains' barely appear at all, and though I have slight idea of what's going on, (something about an election or something) it isn't clear what the end goal is or how the election even works and how they intend to win. Doesn't help that the team only appeared at the start and basically disappeared until after what I presume to be following gym 4. Also doesn't help that I believe I haven't met their team leader yet, (unless they're very, very well hidden.) The opposite gender rival also rubs me the wrong way as (s)he doesn't really add anything to the story, and I have no reason to care about them, especially in light of the other rival who has the most developed character out of the whole game. One final note is that it isn't always clear where to go next. Routes often branch with no clear indication of where to go next, and towns can have 4+ exits leading in a variety of directions.

Balancing: I thought this was just an early game issue, but after playing 8ish hours, I can tell that this is continuing problem. For the most part, the game is challenging, but fair, however, any sense of reasonability goes out the window for gym leaders. Except for the 2nd Leader, all the gym leaders are ridiculously more challenging than anything proceeds or follows them. Not helping matters is that there are no Pokemon that are effective against the leader anywhere near their gym, (and no this isn't exclusive to the first gym; I had to spend an hour hunting down a physic mon on a bunch of different routes for the third gym.) And even if you bring a super effective mon against the leader, and level them 10 levels above the gym leader's mons, they can still ORKO with a not very effective move. I spent hours on the third gym, and ditched the game after wasting more time on the fourth leader. They came across as cheap, not challenging, and maybe I'm just not good at the game, but I grew to despise setting foot in a gym by the end.

Other: The gyms felt very boring. They didn't have anything besides fight two trainers and then the boss. Maybe a puzzle or something else would make them more interesting.

Final Thoughts:
Overall, I like this game's concept a lot. It's interesting, and opens up a lot of unique opportunities. I'm not 100% comfortable judging a game based on only half of the adventure, but that's just how it works. Maybe I came in with in the wrong expectations, but I just feel let down. Anyways, I look forward to seeing what you make next. I'd love to see a game with the theme and story that the dark side and dark rival, as I think that would be fantastic.

DaleFails

Trainer
Announcement

v0.0.6 released to fix the following:

Bug fixes:

Power Plant entry getting-stuck bug fix
Fly points for Dawnridge and Duskridge fixed
Various text corrections
Various soundtrack amendments
Additional party heals added in
Various graphical fixes
Removed trade-obey levels
Multitude of other small bugs squashed

I will be resuming work on this project soon!

Last edited:

DaleFails

Trainer
I'm ready to write a full review of the demo. I've played up to the fourth gym (didn't finish it, as I'll explain below.) I'm not sure how honest to be, so hopefully this comes across as constructive.

I'll start with the positives:
World Design: I really like the maps, especially the dark versions. The light versions were a little bland, but the whole concept of maps being mirrors of each other made it decent. The routes were streamlined, and generally clear on which way to go. The towns were well designed and easy to navigate. The only complaint I have is that you didn't do a whole lot to utilize the mirror aspect. I would have loved for secrets to be hidden that would only be obvious if you compared cities to each other. Maybe have a hidden route in one town that would be a major road in the other. I know that would work better in a game akin to A Link Between Worlds, which this game isn't trying to be, but still utilizing a bit of that may add to the exploration of the world.

Character Designs: Not much to say here. Everyone looks good, albeit a lot of copied sprites from the main games, which isn't bad in of itself.

Music: Music was appropriate for each scene, and added to the game.

Story: Of what I saw of the story, it seems to be going in an interesting direction. Particularly interested in the rival's backstory.

Ok, on to the bad:
Pacing: After reading your comments regarding the timing of the dark side, I thought I would give it another go. However, after playing the demo, I'm only more convinced that the player travels over to the dark side way too late into the game. The dark side is far, far more interesting than its opposite. The characters are more interesting, the gym leaders are more memorable (I don't even remember the light side ones) and the rival is a 1000 times better than his counterpart, (with an actual motivation and backstory.) Honestly, if it wasn't for the game's whole concept of light/dark, I'd say ditch the light side entirely. The writing and characters are just much more compelling.

Story: While what I've seen of the story seems interesting, I feel like I haven't seen enough by this point. Perhaps there's some massive story dump following the fourth gym, but I didn't get to see that. The villains' barely appear at all, and though I have slight idea of what's going on, (something about an election or something) it isn't clear what the end goal is or how the election even works and how they intend to win. Doesn't help that the team only appeared at the start and basically disappeared until after what I presume to be following gym 4. Also doesn't help that I believe I haven't met their team leader yet, (unless they're very, very well hidden.) The opposite gender rival also rubs me the wrong way as (s)he doesn't really add anything to the story, and I have no reason to care about them, especially in light of the other rival who has the most developed character out of the whole game. One final note is that it isn't always clear where to go next. Routes often branch with no clear indication of where to go next, and towns can have 4+ exits leading in a variety of directions.

Balancing: I thought this was just an early game issue, but after playing 8ish hours, I can tell that this is continuing problem. For the most part, the game is challenging, but fair, however, any sense of reasonability goes out the window for gym leaders. Except for the 2nd Leader, all the gym leaders are ridiculously more challenging than anything proceeds or follows them. Not helping matters is that there are no Pokemon that are effective against the leader anywhere near their gym, (and no this isn't exclusive to the first gym; I had to spend an hour hunting down a physic mon on a bunch of different routes for the third gym.) And even if you bring a super effective mon against the leader, and level them 10 levels above the gym leader's mons, they can still ORKO with a not very effective move. I spent hours on the third gym, and ditched the game after wasting more time on the fourth leader. They came across as cheap, not challenging, and maybe I'm just not good at the game, but I grew to despise setting foot in a gym by the end.

Other: The gyms felt very boring. They didn't have anything besides fight two trainers and then the boss. Maybe a puzzle or something else would make them more interesting.

Final Thoughts:
Overall, I like this game's concept a lot. It's interesting, and opens up a lot of unique opportunities. I'm not 100% comfortable judging a game based on only half of the adventure, but that's just how it works. Maybe I came in with in the wrong expectations, but I just feel let down. Anyways, I look forward to seeing what you make next. I'd love to see a game with the theme and story that the dark side and dark rival, as I think that would be fantastic.

Hey - I really appreciate the full review, you've made some great points in there.

The Light Side of the region certainly needs more depth / writing giving to it. In fact, but now that the storyline is starting to pick up I am hoping to focus more on that now. I do plan to go back and beef up the storytelling on the Light Side in the early game to balance it out - thanks for the feedback on that!

Balancing is the other difficulty. Some playthroughs I can sweep the leaders too easily, on others I struggle (I always go for a variety of teams). I think the third and fourth gym could do with being a bit easier as they are certainly a big jump in difficulty. I certainly need to work on the balancing throughout somewhat.

May I ask, did you continue on and complete the Power Plant section of the game and then gen-2 style bonus fight at the end? I am not sure if I have pointed the player in that direction enough following the fourth gym. It is difficult to test these things when you make the game, as I obviously know where I am meant to go!

Again I really appreciate the review, and thanks for playing! Hopefully you'll try out the next big release!

mindbender12

Novice
Hey - I really appreciate the full review, you've made some great points in there.

The Light Side of the region certainly needs more depth / writing giving to it. In fact, but now that the storyline is starting to pick up I am hoping to focus more on that now. I do plan to go back and beef up the storytelling on the Light Side in the early game to balance it out - thanks for the feedback on that!

Balancing is the other difficulty. Some playthroughs I can sweep the leaders too easily, on others I struggle (I always go for a variety of teams). I think the third and fourth gym could do with being a bit easier as they are certainly a big jump in difficulty. I certainly need to work on the balancing throughout somewhat.

May I ask, did you continue on and complete the Power Plant section of the game and then gen-2 style bonus fight at the end? I am not sure if I have pointed the player in that direction enough following the fourth gym. It is difficult to test these things when you make the game, as I obviously know where I am meant to go!

Again I really appreciate the review, and thanks for playing! Hopefully you'll try out the next big release!
I did reach the power plant area, and saw the bonus boss, but didn’t fight as by that point I was too frustrated to try different team comps. I actually got to both of them by looking for places to level up and just wondered in.

DaleFails

Trainer
I did reach the power plant area, and saw the bonus boss, but didn’t fight as by that point I was too frustrated to try different team comps. I actually got to both of them by looking for places to level up and just wondered in.

Awesome - I'm curious to know where you struggled most?

I have tested the game myself 9-10 teams all the way through and have used different teams each time. I ran actual tests, so no debug access etc. I never had to catch a specific Pokemon to deal with a specific opponent, my original party was always enough. My only frustration was the needing to re-heal, but I managed that by carrying additional meds.

I would sometimes skip gym 2 and gym 3 and return to them later on, but that is something I have made fairly clear in the game that you can do.

safr

Elite Trainer
I love how this fangame gives me the feeling of familiar pokemon game like fire red and hgss yet also added colorful touch of legendary romhack like pokemon gaia, light platinum and pokemon glazed (rip glazed you will be missed from pokemon forum)

I hope some poketuber will cover this in their video

DaleFails

Trainer
I love how this fangame gives me the feeling of familiar pokemon game like fire red and hgss yet also added colorful touch of legendary romhack like pokemon gaia, light platinum and pokemon glazed (rip glazed you will be missed from pokemon forum)

I hope some poketuber will cover this in their video
Thank you so much!

Back