• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Overcome: Magikarp 3.3

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
Overcome: A Day in the Life of Magikarp

A glimpse into the life and struggles of the apex prey.
See the world through Magikarp's eyes in a silent, minimalist, text-less experience, with an original soundtrack.

In this constrained existence, there are 22 ways to perish.
Let an array of visual and audio effects be your guide to a helpless future.
Unless you keep on fighting to make it your own.

There is no way to save your progress, and seemingly, fate is beyond your control.
Or are both of the above statements, false?

No matter the odds, whether you Overcome, will be a matter of choice.

aSaqWFe.png

sDNAGg7.png

Made with:
RPG Maker MV

Team:
AenaonDogsky
Oleole
Rocky
RadarsPJ

Downloads:
Overcome 3.3 (Windows)
Overcome 3.3 (Linux)
Overcome 3.3 (Mac)

How to update from an old version:
Copy all "undefined" files in from the "www" folder of the older version, into the "www" folder of the newest version.

Notes:

A map and small guide are included.
Haven't actually tested Linux and Mac versions but they should work.
The game saves in its root folder, and not in any other directory.

Version History:
1.1 progression halting bug fixed

1.2 sequence breaking bug fixed

1.3 potentially progression-halting bug fixed

1.4 potentially progression-halting bug fixed

1.5 getting stuck on a tile, being unable to leave "perish" title screen, and one potential progression bug fixed

1.6 Tile getting player stuck, interaction making player miss trade for ending, window tile bug, transparency transition bug, walking sprite transition bug, pit animation not matching karperish bug, being able to move underwater after a karperish-gameover, underwater sight range stopping players from progressing, and timers not triggering at the proper moment therefore making players unable to get the ending, fixed

1.7 Post-Jam:

• Item permanence enabled for all items
  • Yarn will disappear upon acquisition
  • Added another glameow (non trader) so that players who have traded with the other glameow will not miss this karperishment
  • Added more Trapinch traps
  • Obstacles will now appear during the Pidgeotto fight to provide visual feedback to the player
  • Added another volcano area with a stricter timer to help with temperature karperishment
  • Interaction with first Magikarp automatically triggered upon freeing it
  • Magikarp upgrade givers won't appear once interacted with
  • Added an Easter egg for scrutinous players
  • Replaced muscle icon with Flail icon
  • Split consecutive underwater sections into two separate ones, accessible in order.
  • Removed redundant Karperishment Title Screen menu selection
  • Whirlpools have been added and count as the Underwater Pressure Karperishment
  • Made Cherry icon more visually distinct
  • Decorated Overworld
  • Made Milk bottle icon clearer
  • Added a couple more shortcuts to the Sharpedo Labyrinth
  • Vastly reduced the number of transfer events on map edges by using region jump-stop
  • Speech bubble icon won't appear again above mons you've traded items with

Fixes:
  • Fixed tile errors in forest
  • Fixed yarn transparency
  • Fixed Ariados not showing up in some traps, as well as Trapinch
  • Fixed wrong cries
  • Fixed white pixels in some characters
  • Fixed white pixels in some icons
  • Fixed Jumping into water in land animation
  • Fixed lumineon and finneon getting on land, now they wont move at all
  • Fixed lingering BGS from Mountain to Pidgeotto Area
  • Fixed lingering wather from Mountain to Pidgeotto Area

You may press F4 to enjoy the game on fullscreen.

This game might have been made with RMMV, but it still uses a heavy amount of eventing instead of code.
Eventing is mostly the same across all RPG Makers, since it's basically visual scripting.
If there's anything you'd like to ask, or wanted to know about the "how" feel free to chime in!

I had so very little time this jam, but I am very thankful that the result turned out fine.
Although small, it's a complete experience.

Resource Pack:
Source Pack

Known bugs:
- 8dir jumping doesnt work for all people - I assume this is related to keyboard-gamepad setups and operating systems.
8dir jumping isnt required to do any of the game's jumps, as I designed everything with straight jumping in mind, so don't worry.

Credits:

Degica
RPG Maker MV

Plugins by
Galv
SomeRandomDude
Yanfly
Eli
Yami
Yoji Ojima
Tsukimi
Zalerinian
TSR
Tor Damian
CAE
Zalerinian
Kino
Archeia

Sprites and Tiles
Pokemon Ranger Series
Visustella Public MZ Tiles
Default RMMV Tiles
Flail Icon: free to use from ALTAP MEDIA

Audio
Sfx: Public Libraries (no credit asked)
Credits theme: Pokemon Stadium 2 Massively Epic Theme

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Massive Update (1.7), here we go.

Changelog:

• Item permanence enabled for all items
  • Yarn will disappear upon acquisition
  • Added another glameow (non trader) so that players who have traded with the other glameow will not miss this karperishment
  • Added more Trapinch traps
  • Obstacles will now appear during the Pidgeotto fight to provide visual feedback to the player
  • Added another volcano area with a stricter timer to help with temperature karperishment
  • Interaction with first Magikarp automatically triggered upon freeing it
  • Magikarp upgrade givers won't appear once interacted with
  • Added an easter egg for scrutinous players
  • Replaced muscle icon with Flail icon
  • Split consecutive underwater sections into two separate ones, accessible in order.
  • Removed redundant Karperishment Title Screen menu selection
  • Whirlpools have been added and count as the Underwater Pressure Karperishment
  • Made Cherry icon more visually distinct
  • Decorated Overworld
  • Made Milk bottle icon clearer
  • Added a couple more shortcuts to the Sharpedo Labyrinth
  • Vastly reduced the number of transfer events on map edges by using region jump-stop
  • Speech bubble icon won't appear again above mons you've traded items with

Fixes:

• Fixed tile errors in forest
  • Fixed yarn transparency
  • Fixed Ariados not showing up in some traps, as well as Trapinch
  • Fixed wrong cries
  • Fixed white pixels in some characters
  • Fixed white pixels in some icons
  • Fixed Jumping into water in land animation
  • Fixed lumineon and finneon getting on land, now they wont move at all
  • Fixed lingering BGS from Mountain to Pidgeotto Area
  • Fixed lingering wather from Mountain to Pidgeotto Area

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I wonder if it’s possible to disable the “speech bubbles” (and the appearance of the yarn event) permanently once the task is complete? This goes for the other power-up events, like the man kicking the Magikarp.
Ah, I knew I forgot something - I have actually fixed this in 1.7 but forgot to mention it in the changelog.
  • On repeat instances of the same ending I would appreciate a way to skip the cutscene and dramatic plaque reveal. This is especially egregious in the repeated attempt
This and interacting with first Karp without the need to jump on the NPC have now been implemented.
Sorry guys I forgot about those. Now they've been fixed

Overcome 1.8:

• Karperishment perishing screen won't repeat for Karperishments that have already been found
  • Interaction with the first Karp NPC now activates by hitting the interact button as normal

Fixes:

- Swim animation will now trigger correctly upon subsequent completion of the underwater segments

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Thanks to input and dev help from Demice, a polished and improved version is now up:

Overcome 2.0:
1. Land Timer set to 2:00
2. Fixed pit and fish karperishment medallions not showing
3. Fixed 1st jumping upgrade event granting you total passability
4. Added Graveler cry
5. Timer reset from underwater and volcano areas set to 2 mins
6. fixed vileplume item not immediately activating, and expecting a karperpishment before getting accepted
7. reset timer from second visit in underwater and volcano areas
8. Pidgeotto event will now pause before battle and reset timer appropriately after battle
9. added Pikachu cry
10. added Bidoof cries
11. Added more Ariados
12. Added one more Glameow
13. Added blur effect when oxygen deprivation kicks in (credits to Demice)
14. Fixed another karperishment not showing
15. added another easter egg and secret connecting to ep3 of Fated Epistle
16. Thread moved to Pier
17. Pidgeotto collision detection will detect static players
18. Glameow trader changed to Skitty
19 Added macgarco cry
20. fixed tent tile passability error
21. fixed corner swimming tile in river bank map
22. fixed misalignment medals for all karperishments
23. fixed jumping to kaperishment box from opposite side

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Thanks to Cadeorade5's playthrough, a few improvements have been introduced:

Update 3.0

• Item and abilities menu added (press Q)
  • Access to sharpedo and kingdra depths will now be blocked off after initial completion (shark and whirl karperishments available in the OW too)
  • Ocarina stone now blocks progress before the Octillery path
  • Fixed wrong transport after getting the Ocarina

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I'm not positive, but I think I might have encountered a game-breaking bug? I have the item for Seadra's request, but when I interact, it just plays its cry.
View attachment 14583
Really enjoying the game so far!

Oof! Seems to be working fine inside the event - I'm looking into it, thanks!
Could you please try talking to it again?

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
View attachment 14615
Here's what I'm getting now - I know I got knocked out of the Wailmer's depths before actually finding anything, I wonder if that might have affected it somehow?

So you cant re-enter the depths? Did you get the item shown above Seadra's head?

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I didn't see any point where I picked it up, not sure if I could have obtained it without realizing? I can't re-enter the depths, no.
Thank you, it seems you didnt get it in the first place - but the game should allow you to re-enter unless cleared. I'll fix it asap.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I didn't see any point where I picked it up, not sure if I could have obtained it without realizing? I can't re-enter the depths, no.
Thanks so much man, lemme know if it's working now, when you can.

Copy all "undefined" files in from the "www" folder of the older version, into the "www" folder of the newest version.

Overcome 3.1:
- Fixed sharpedo depths inaccessibility prior to getting Dragon's Scale

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Overcome has been updated to 3.2. Unless there's any sort of bug I'm unaware of, this should be the final update!

3.2:
  • Fixed Item 6 not showing in item menu
  • Fixed Flail icon showing in place of the Ice icon
  • Made some item icons easier to see

Linux version added to the Downloads section.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Overcome: Magikarp has been updated to 3.3.

• The route map will now prevent the player from entering Pidgeotto's Forest, until Pidgeotto has been dealt with. This will save many issues with randomly stumbling on Pidgeotto
  • Tile fixes
  • Mac and Linux versions available

Last edited:

Agniko Fireking

That One Pyro
I'm confused about the easter egg locations.
I got the Demice Ice, which allowed me to go through the left volcano area in the high cliffs, and I made it to Manaphy, and got the cheat code (?), but I've no clue where to use it. I also made it past the wall accessed by the teleporter square in the cliffs, and found the passed out dude, but I'm assuming he's a reference to another of your games.

I can't tell whether I hate this game or love it. The underwater area with Sharpedo had me wanting to close the game and delete the files, especially when the illuminated paths reset every death, so it felt like I had to rush the area with minimal knowledge. The way to get to the town from the cliffs isn't apparent; a lot of spots in the game it's hard to tell what is and isn't meant to be background. Aside from that, I really enjoyed it. The game feels unforgiving, which it should, but not too unforgiving (except for the sharpedo maze). The movement starts out kinda jank, but improves as you get upgrades, while still remaining a tiny bit jank at the end, which makes sense. I think a couple of the icons for the trading quest are backwards, but that's not a huge deal. Overall a worthwhile experience, but don't ask me to do it again. Especially the sharpedo maze..

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I'm confused about the easter egg locations.
I got the Demice Ice, which allowed me to go through the left volcano area in the high cliffs, and I made it to Manaphy, and got the cheat code (?), but I've no clue where to use it. I also made it past the wall accessed by the teleporter square in the cliffs, and found the passed out dude, but I'm assuming he's a reference to another of your games.

I can't tell whether I hate this game or love it. The underwater area with Sharpedo had me wanting to close the game and delete the files, especially when the illuminated paths reset every death, so it felt like I had to rush the area with minimal knowledge. The way to get to the town from the cliffs isn't apparent; a lot of spots in the game it's hard to tell what is and isn't meant to be background. Aside from that, I really enjoyed it. The game feels unforgiving, which it should, but not too unforgiving (except for the sharpedo maze). The movement starts out kinda jank, but improves as you get upgrades, while still remaining a tiny bit jank at the end, which makes sense. I think a couple of the icons for the trading quest are backwards, but that's not a huge deal. Overall a worthwhile experience, but don't ask me to do it again. Especially the sharpedo maze..
Thank you for playing!

You can interact with the Lanturn to enlarge the illuminated field's radius. I guess this isnt well communicated, and perhaps simply touching the lanturn should activate it. However, the way to town not being apparent is an issue, I'll get to it as soon as I can. Sadly this is related to the monochrome tone of the game, but I think I can figure something out.

Yes, those are the easter eggs, the code is indeed related to a future episode of Fated Epistle.

Back