• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Concealed

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
1lXkhOx.jpg

Concealed
Brought to you by:
Nandthesword

Made using:
RPG Maker XP
Pokemon Essentials v20

Version: 2.1

Welcome to Concealed! A game where nothing ever goes wrong.
Presadi City is such a great place to live! We've got such a loving community, and our great leader is so charitable to all of us!
Nothing would ever go wrong in such a great place!
Such a great place.
Such a great place.
Isn't that right, Onylle?

Concealed is a game that stars Onylle, a young girl who clearly has nothing wrong with her!
She simply has to discover who she is!
Doesn't this sound like such a fun little adventure?

Notes:
-Concealed is around 10-12 hours in total
-If you find a bug, please report it in the thread! I'll do my best to fix it

Abuse, Depression, Trauma, Light Gore, Profanity, Mild Horror

1658948573527.png
1658949343401.png
1658948687681.png

1658948766037.png
1658948892778.png
1658949061735.png
1679448515030.png
1679448842780.png
1679448615691.png

1658949117913.jpeg

Game Download, Resources, and Theme Usage:
The theme of "simplicity" in Concealed is kind of vague, but I think I got my point across in a few scenes.
Onylle is trapped in Presadi City, which is a community that views the rest of the world as dangerous. They have a very strict and "simple" outlook on how they should live as a society; By hiding.
Onylle spends the game trying to run away from that toxic simplicity. And with that comes recognizing her own trauma from living in Presadi City.

Concealed Let's Plays:
HeroVoltsy

DatBoiOvader

tomix9tomix

Credits:
Game Developer:
Nandthesword

Playtesters:
Aurangzeb
Eviiocity
Cyan Koopa
iDog
Kait Porter

Ekat’s Public Gen 3 Tilesets
1. Ekat
2. Heartless Dragoon
3. Morlockhater
4. Nemu
5. Ross Hawkins
6. Pokemon Dawn
7. Slimshady
8. Thedeadheroalistar
9. The-Red-Ex
10. Vurtax
11. Zein
12. Redblueyellow
13. Fabnt
14. War8
15. Dragoon
16. Silverdeoxys563
17. SteamyJ
18. Anonalpaca
19. Pokémon Rejuvenation
20. Puggsoy
21. Aveontrainer
22. Idillio
23. Dasani
24. Shyin

Following Pokemon EX:
Golisopod User
Help-14
zingzags
Rayd12smitty
mej71
PurpleZaffre
Akizakura16
Thundaga
Armin (Fairies Resource Pack)
Maruno

Generation 8 Pack:
Battler Sprites:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
Overworld Sprites
Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo
Icon Sprites
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon
Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
Script Credits:
Golisopod User, Luka S.J.
Compilation of Resources:
Golisopod User, UberDunsparce

v20 Hotfixes plugin:
Maruno

Pokémon Shattered Light - Resource Pack:
Voltseon
ENLS
Tristantine The Great

Gen 4 and Gen 5 Trainers in Gen 3 overworld style:
Mashirosakura
Young-Dante

ENLS’s Pre-Looped Music Library:
ENLS
KrakerwatYT
Thundaga

Music Credits:
Music Credits:
Pokemon Black and White
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
Celeste
Deltarune
OMORI
aka smits

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy MiDas Mike
Brother1440 Near Fantastica
FL. PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami Popper
Golisopod User Rataime
help-14 Savordez
IceGod64 SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock the__end
KitsuneKouta Venom12
Lisa Anthony Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Attachments

• 1681511017303.png
    1681511017303.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 50,674
Last edited:

Astefia

Cooltrainer
1660490204822.png

I'm completely lost and out of healing items )x Where am I supposed to go now? In the Fo.Hills, it should be up and into the cavern, but inside Surf is neede to continue.

Nandthesword

Cooltrainer
View attachment 11806
I'm completely lost and out of healing items )x Where am I supposed to go now? In the Fo.Hills, it should be up and into the cavern, but inside Surf is neede to continue.
That's an area not available rn. You're close to the exit though! You just have to head over to the right of that cave entrance and enter from there. Then you can get to Fortecenil City from there.

Hope you're enjoying Concealed!

Porygon2

Novice
Hi, I downloaded the game and when I tried to play 1.1, I got this error:

4E2ejvO.png

I also noticed that the game title is still Pokemon Essentials rather than Concealed. Several years ago, I remember having difficulty playing a couple fangames that were still titled Essentials because I had Essentials downloaded too which I think made my save file from Essentials load in the fangames and cause errors due to different maps, events, etc. I wonder if something similar is happening here.

Nandthesword

Cooltrainer
Hi, I downloaded the game and when I tried to play 1.1, I got this error:

4E2ejvO.png

I also noticed that the game title is still Pokemon Essentials rather than Concealed. Several years ago, I remember having difficulty playing a couple fangames that were still titled Essentials because I had Essentials downloaded too which I think made my save file from Essentials load in the fangames and cause errors due to different maps, events, etc. I wonder if something similar is happening here.
That makes a lot of sense! Someone else tried downloading the game about a week ago and experienced the same issue, but I just brushed it off as it being an issue with different computers.

I just uploaded Version 1.2, which should (hopefully lol) fix this. Lemme know if you have anymore trouble with Concealed!

Porygon2

Novice
Thanks, I was able to play 1.2!

My favorite scenes in the game were when Onylle went into the Unknown Woods to save Penny and standing up against her teacher and mom, and at the end when the group of friends all came to support her. What I especially liked about the friend support at the end is that it was a contrast to earlier after she first ran away and her head was filled with nasty thoughts from the people of Presadi City.

It was also a pretty realistic depiction of the kind of mental health issues that result from the kind of situations people like Onylle are trapped in. Many of the classic traits were there: Blaming yourself for things that aren't your fault. Pretending you're fine when you're not because you feel like you'd be burdening people if you told them the truth. Thinking you deserve everything that happened to you, even though you believe others in the same situation as you are valid and didn't deserve what they went through. Finding people who accept and support you, but still having thoughts that either they're secretly just like everyone else or the other extreme, that you don't deserve their kindness.

I still wonder whether Val really was mad at Onylle or not. The ending scene with the friend support circle seems to imply that she cares about Onylle just as much as Luke, Ethan, and Sam do. But there were things that made me wonder. Seeing that Chapter 2 was called Envy, my immediate speculation was that it would be about Val being envious of Onylle. While Val was nice at first, there were later lines where she seemed snappy, like being impatient with how long it takes Onylle to get from place to place. To be fair, she was like that with everyone, not just Onylle. But it seems inappropriate to act that way with someone who just ran away into the woods away from a controlling place that gave her trauma, so the equally dished out attitude didn't completely eliminate those thoughts. It was the friend support circle that swayed me the other way.

I'm also wondering if the reason Onylle doesn't have an eye is because her mother took it 😨

One critique: Sometimes I felt like the pauses in scenes, like when other characters left and Onylle was about to talk to herself about the current situation and where she needs to go, went on for a while. Because it would be a noticeable amount of time since dialogue was on the screen and characters had left, I would try to move not knowing the scene wasn't over yet. It eventually became something I expected, so I would wait longer until trying to move, and I also understand the thematic reasons for it, but from a gameplay perspective, there isn't anything you can do while you're waiting for Onylle's thoughts and to be able to explore again.

I liked the solution to Cut trees. It was an interesting way to overcome HM obstacles that I've never seen done in a fangame before. Onylle received an explanation on how to remove them and was able to do so from that point on.

With the ending point of the game, there's a lot of speculation that could be made, and if it's planned to continue, a lot more to look forward to.

Random side note: For some reason, my brain keeps misremembering the name of the game as "Clearance". I'm not sure why. Clearance isn't even a word I use or hear commonly.

Bugs below, listed by the type of bugs:

Exiting these caves puts you one tile below it above the cliff:
iSSHY1B.png

NW245PN.png

Period missing in Mr. Adams:
xHL7mlS.png

qjvbtVX.png

The m in meet shouldn't be capitalized:
GYioEDC.png

overflowering should be overflowing:
z8b8oCy.png

I'm guessing the c[1] was supposed to be a font color, and due to a missing or different key being used, it shows c[1] instead of the color?
KP0fwlX.png

I think the words kind and powerful should be switched around to be "powerful and kind towards everyone"; otherwise it could look like it's saying she's powerful towards everyone and I'm not sure what that would mean:
f7j9raJ.png

damnet -> damnit (unless he's making a net pun, since nets are sometimes used to catch fish)
sBFemh6.png

As this is a book title, I feel like most words should be capitalized to be "How to Kill Three Pidgeys with One Stone"
fehn7Is.png

The g in Grass should be capitalized:
r49jzHK.png

The p in Psychic should be capitalized:
1atMLSE.png

The r in Rock and the w in Water should be capitalized:
SusjMeO.png

Poké Balls should be two words:
zEeu2ak.png

contains should be is:
s9aUMAL.png

4jtEKzV.png

Poké Ball should be two words:
L5k0hGi.png

All shouldn't be capitalized:
IkdOFQV.png

Take shouldn't be capitalized:
gX6pHVP.png

"willing in trading it" should be willing to trade it
U6KylO8.png

It's shouldn't be capitalized:
eMUCBR7.png

The shouldn't be capitalized:
tpIvVmR.png

You'll shouldn't be capitalized:
bqFokRP.png

You shouldn't be capitalized:
zDj7b0V.png

Missing apostrophe in seat's:
tR2SYkM.png

DAbTNLW.png

You're shouldn't be capitalized:
RXGj4K8.png

Pick shouldn't be capitalized:
1T8N8BY.png

Let's shouldn't be capitalized:
5HlOpVn.png

apart should be a part:
tRcXloU.png

6WSJC5k.png

Yesterday shouldn't be capitalized:
LJF2AYp.png

iBE6XUr.png

loose should be lose:
5dAfiaK.png

Due to the quotation marks, there's not a space between "Val:" and the start of her dialogue:
mZp7LVs.png

The period should be a question mark:
Lx6FmXX.png

Nothing shouldn't be capitalized:
wNrfBgr.png

The boards in the classrooms kind of look like they're positioned lower than intended? Instead of looking like they're on the wall, it looks like they're below the wall:
MIvh0eE.png

oEJdEYz.png

These bookcases in a house in Napi Town can be walked on; I think maybe because of bed tile passability:
GnMji61.png

F2WDkl3.png

Can walk on this picture in a house in Fortecenil City; I think maybe because of bed tile passability:
Pa9K54D.png

Can walk on this plaque and also the wall tile to the left of the bed in two houses in Fortecenil City:
W5IFGpe.png

21Ee3ul.png

Can walk on this window and the wall tile to the right of the bed in a house in Fortecenil City:
2EvKdw0.png

This NPC has no dialogue:
2lHT7nW.png

The NPC who trades you a Ralts in exchange for a Tympole refers to the Ralts as him ("Take good care of him"), but the Ralts I got from the trade was female:
OtgVVpx.png

This NPC goes to his second page of dialogue even if it's your first time talking to him. This is because although Control Self Switch A is turned on at the end of the first event page, the second event page doesn't have Control Self Switch A set as an activation condition. If two event pages have the same activation conditions (in this case, both have no conditions) the highest numbered event page will activate:
wKaxr07.png

You can do this trade infinite times:
wfvAGOC.png

Last edited:

Nandthesword

Cooltrainer
Thanks, I was able to play 1.2!

My favorite scenes in the game were when Onylle went into the Unknown Woods to save Penny and standing up against her teacher and mom, and at the end when the group of friends all came to support her. What I especially liked about the friend support at the end is that it was a contrast to earlier after she first ran away and her head was filled with nasty thoughts from the people of Presadi City.

It was also a pretty realistic depiction of the kind of mental health issues that result from the kind of situations people like Onylle are trapped in. Many of the classic traits were there: Blaming yourself for things that aren't your fault. Pretending you're fine when you're not because you feel like you'd be burdening people if you told them the truth. Thinking you deserve everything that happened to you, even though you believe others in the same situation as you are valid and didn't deserve what they went through. Finding people who accept and support you, but still having thoughts that either they're secretly just like everyone else or the other extreme, that you don't deserve their kindness.

I still wonder whether Val really was mad at Onylle or not. The ending scene with the friend support circle seems to imply that she cares about Onylle just as much as Luke, Ethan, and Sam do. But there were things that made me wonder. Seeing that Chapter 2 was called Envy, my immediate speculation was that it would be about Val being envious of Onylle. While Val was nice at first, there were later lines where she seemed snappy, like being impatient with how long it takes Onylle to get from place to place. To be fair, she was like that with everyone, not just Onylle. But it seems inappropriate to act that way with someone who just ran away into the woods away from a controlling place that gave her trauma, so the equally dished out attitude didn't completely eliminate those thoughts. It was the friend support circle that swayed me the other way.

I'm also wondering if the reason Onylle doesn't have an eye is because her mother took it 😨

One critique: Sometimes I felt like the pauses in scenes, like when other characters left and Onylle was about to talk to herself about the current situation and where she needs to go, went on for a while. Because it would be a noticeable amount of time since dialogue was on the screen and characters had left, I would try to move not knowing the scene wasn't over yet. It eventually became something I expected, so I would wait longer until trying to move, and I also understand the thematic reasons for it, but from a gameplay perspective, there isn't anything you can do while you're waiting for Onylle's thoughts and to be able to explore again.

I liked the solution to Cut trees. It was an interesting way to overcome HM obstacles that I've never seen done in a fangame before. Onylle received an explanation on how to remove them and was able to do so from that point on.

With the ending point of the game, there's a lot of speculation that could be made, and if it's planned to continue, a lot to more to look forward to.

Random side note: For some reason, my brain keeps misremembering the name of the game as "Clearance". I'm not sure why. Clearance isn't even a word I use or hear commonly.

Bugs below, listed by the type of bugs:

Exiting these caves puts you one tile below it above the cliff:
iSSHY1B.png

NW245PN.png

Period missing in Mr. Adams:
xHL7mlS.png

qjvbtVX.png

The m in meet shouldn't be capitalized:
GYioEDC.png

overflowering should be overflowing:
z8b8oCy.png

I'm guessing the c[1] was supposed to be a font color, and due to a missing or different key being used, it shows c[1] instead of the color?
KP0fwlX.png

I think the words kind and powerful should be switched around to be "powerful and kind towards everyone"; otherwise it could look like it's saying she's powerful towards everyone and I'm not sure what that would mean:
f7j9raJ.png

damnet -> damnit (unless he's making a net pun, since nets are sometimes used to catch fish)
sBFemh6.png

As this is a book title, I feel like most words should be capitalized to be "How to Kill Three Pidgeys with One Stone"
fehn7Is.png

r49jzHK.png

The p in Psychic should be capitalized:
1atMLSE.png

The r in Rock and the w in Water should be capitalized:
SusjMeO.png

zEeu2ak.png

contains should be is:
s9aUMAL.png

4jtEKzV.png

Poké Ball should be two words:
L5k0hGi.png

All shouldn't be capitalized:
IkdOFQV.png

Take shouldn't be capitalized:
gX6pHVP.png

"willing in trading it" should be willing to trade it
U6KylO8.png

It's shouldn't be capitalized:
eMUCBR7.png

The shouldn't be capitalized:
tpIvVmR.png

You'll shouldn't be capitalized:
bqFokRP.png

zDj7b0V.png

Missing apostrophe in seat's:
tR2SYkM.png

DAbTNLW.png

You're shouldn't be capitalized:
RXGj4K8.png

Pick shouldn't be capitalized:
1T8N8BY.png

Let's shouldn't be capitalized:
5HlOpVn.png

apart should be a part:
tRcXloU.png

6WSJC5k.png

Yesterday shouldn't be capitalized:
LJF2AYp.png

iBE6XUr.png

loose should be lose:
5dAfiaK.png

Due to the quotation marks, there's not a space between "Val:" and the start of her dialogue:
mZp7LVs.png

The period should be a question mark:
Lx6FmXX.png

Nothing shouldn't be capitalized:
wNrfBgr.png

The boards in the classrooms kind of look like they're positioned lower than intended? Instead of looking like they're on the wall, it looks like they're below the wall:
MIvh0eE.png

oEJdEYz.png

These bookcases in a house in Napi Town can be walked on; I think maybe because of bed tile passability:
GnMji61.png

F2WDkl3.png

Can walk on this picture in a house in Fortecenil City; I think maybe because of bed tile passability:
Pa9K54D.png

Can walk on this plaque and also the wall tile to the left of the bed in two houses in Fortecenil City:
W5IFGpe.png

21Ee3ul.png

Can walk on this window and the wall tile to the right of the bed in a house in Fortecenil City:
2EvKdw0.png

This NPC has no dialogue:
2lHT7nW.png

The NPC who trades you a Ralts in exchange for a Tympole refers to the Ralts as him ("Take good care of him"), but the Ralts I got from the trade was female:
OtgVVpx.png

This NPC goes to his second page of dialogue even if it's your first time talking to him. This is because although Control Self Switch A is turned on at the end of the first event page, the second event page doesn't have Control Self Switch A set as an activation condition. If two event pages have the same activation conditions (in this case, both have no conditions) the highest numbered event page will activate:
wKaxr07.png

You can do this trade infinite times:
wfvAGOC.png
Yooo! Tysm for checking out Concealed! It means a lot to me.
Honestly I'm really glad that you thought that Concealed depicted mental health pretty well! One of my main goals was to accurately portray how depression can sort of rot into a person and make them feel like every single thing they do is a mistake. It did help since I've experienced depression before, and honestly I'm still kind of fighting through it.

Val's quite a confusing character, though I hope she becomes more clear with the next few chapters I make (Since I eventually do plan on finishing Concealed.) I honestly hope that I can manage to portray the rest of the story in a way that's really powerful, and that it doesn't really leave too many questions unanswered.

I definitely need to find a better way to substitute for the long pauses. I'm glad you know it's for a thematic reason, though.

I'm really happy with how I made HMs work! The only issue with how I'm doing it is that I have absolutely no clue how I'd do that for Surf (which would be the next taught HM), so I'll definitely have to work on that lol.

I'll work on fixing the bugs and typos. I didn't realize how often I use semicolons in my dialogue, since I forgot an entire grammatic rule every time I'd use one lmao. Once again, thank you so much for playing through Concealed!

Porygon2

Novice
Yooo! Tysm for checking out Concealed! It means a lot to me.
Honestly I'm really glad that you thought that Concealed depicted mental health pretty well! One of my main goals was to accurately portray how depression can sort of rot into a person and make them feel like every single thing they do is a mistake. It did help since I've experienced depression before, and honestly I'm still kind of fighting through it.

Val's quite a confusing character, though I hope she becomes more clear with the next few chapters I make (Since I eventually do plan on finishing Concealed.) I honestly hope that I can manage to portray the rest of the story in a way that's really powerful, and that it doesn't really leave too many questions unanswered.

I definitely need to find a better way to substitute for the long pauses. I'm glad you know it's for a thematic reason, though.

I'm really happy with how I made HMs work! The only issue with how I'm doing it is that I have absolutely no clue how I'd do that for Surf (which would be the next taught HM), so I'll definitely have to work on that lol.

I'll work on fixing the bugs and typos. I didn't realize how often I use semicolons in my dialogue, since I forgot an entire grammatic rule every time I'd use one lmao. Once again, thank you so much for playing through Concealed!
The portrayal of mental health definitely gave the impression of someone who either knows what it's like to be in those situations, is close to other people who are, and/or studies mental health for a living.

I'm happy to know that Concealed is planned to be continued!

For Surf, maybe it could be like learning how to swim? Maybe Onylle can't swim and someone teaches her how.

Words not being capitalized after semicolons is actually something I learned from playing the game! I wasn't 100% sure, and I looked it up because I had never seen the word after a semicolon capitalized before, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a "both are correct" deal before reporting those as typos.

Last edited:

InsaneGamer

Rookie
The portrayal of mental health definitely gave the impression of someone who either knows what it's like to be in those situations, is close to other people who are, and/or studies mental health for a living.

I'm happy to know that Concealed is planned to be continued!

For Surf, maybe it could be like learning how to swim? Maybe Onylle can't swim and someone teaches her how.

Words not being capitalized after semicolons is actually something I learned from playing the game! I wasn't 100% sure, and I looked it up because I had never seen the word after a semicolon capitalized before, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a "both are correct" deal before reporting those as typos.
That was what I was thinking. You could also have it as they work together teaching you. Later you could do the same for other hms and making scenes where they bond so that we can learn about the other characters.

Just finished the game on stream!
Some thoughts:
I had a really great time playing this game, and I enjoyed the focus on the narrative, honestly the most disappointing part of this game for me was finding out that it isn't complete. There are still some threads that feel unsatisfying being left loose while we wait for an update. But I think that is a testimony to how invested I got into the story.

I think you did a good job with the characters, and the beginning felt really well set up, just slowly realising how fucked up everything was. It wasn't just that our mum was horrible. It wasn't just that the school kids are assholes, it isn't just that the teacher in insane, THE WHOLE TOWN IS MESSED. And the experience of being in that town worked well, because for every cutscene after it, I felt on edge and stressed that something dastardly wrong was going to happen. Just like how the main character felt on edge!

So yeah! I really enjoyed the game!

I do have a couple criticisms, but please keep in mind that they did no dampen my enjoyment of the game, I was strongly invested in the narrative enough that I still have a great time. I simply feel like the balance could do a bit of work, at some points it feels like the level curve is far too harsh, and on top of that, most of the routes in the game are very complex and long. They are honestly great maps in how they feel so connected and explorable, it's just that they feel like victory road when still we are in early-game territory.

But yeah! Great job, and I hope you continue working on the game, I'd love to find out more about the story!

duskshinelover

Rookie
You'll need to use joiplay since this is an rpg maker xp fangame. Unexpected bugs may occur from playing the game on unsupported software, so beware of those. It's best to play it on supported hardware, aka on PC
Ah ok and also please make it a full game soon it is AMAZING!!

Hey! I played this game and thought it was great. The writing was the best part. You managed to build the world and the characters really well. The people in the starting town made me so mad, and I felt super bad for Onylle for the whole game. I'm very excited to see where the story goes next, especially after that cliffhanger at the end! Good work!

Saku

Rookie
For some reason its not letting me download the new version😞

Back