• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Summit Trials

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Y7hg5E0.png

Download Version 1.4

Download more games made by me from my website!

About
The Summit Trials are a series of challenges that were meant to challenge the limits of trainers!
mZLPZ2L.png
VcpvxmG.png

Travel to the mysterious Triata Island, and tackle the trio of difficult trials devised by Professor Sierra!
CuBv22F.png

Roy and Sasha are two experienced trainers from other regions, who are taking the trial too!
Who will complete the Summit Trials first?
493N4vf.png

At the Summit of each mountain is a Trial Leader!
Prepare for a difficult battle!
a3g6xCW.png
NI9MY1m.png
yc9NE8o.png

Will you be able to complete the Summit Trials?

Screenshots
tPY6WPi.png
F9rcMmj.png
8NCiFO2.png
c0QhZbO.png
xuvMAk1.png
NF3PgK7.png

Features
An entire island full of secrets to explore
Three mountains to climb
Wild and Trainer level scaling
Open map design (go where you want from the beginning)
Randomized Starters (11 possible choices)
Rivals also have randomized starters
Approximately 6hrs of gameplay
Gen 1-5 Pokemon
Gen 5 soundtrack
Many secrets and easter eggs
And more things I'm forgetting to mention!

Team
xCamero

with additional art from the Thundaga Community

Credits
Pokemon Summit Trials
by xCamero

Art by the Thundaga Community
Michael (Senor Bambos)
Sandzyboy
Roan Da Fish
Kitsuna2
Atlantis
MrMcgee
Jonas930
ThePixelTrainer

And a special thanks to everyone
who tested the demo of Summit Trials!

Pokemon Evolution Scale Script
by Leilou

Pokemon BW2 Mod
by Shiney570
additional help from Luka, DeKay, FL, and mej71

Elite Battle System
by Luka S.J.
dragonnite<s>BadSamaritan
Tebited15<s>redblueyellow
Eli<s>Pokecheck.org
Ultimate Title Screens
by Luka S.J.
Mario Gamer<s>YoshiCLONE
FancyBadges
by Luka S.J.
Pokemon World Tournament
by Luka S.J.
The Trade Expert
by Luka S.J.
Easy Mouse
by Luka S.J.
Smart Downloader
Luka S.J.<s>Berka

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
Harshboy<s>Rataime
help-14<s>SoundSpawn
IceGod64<s>the__end
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>Venom12
KitsuneKouta<s>Wachunga
Lisa Anthony<s>xLeD
and everyone else who helped out

This game was made for the
Relic Castle Game Jam #3
6/30/17 - 8/10/17

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain
Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak
This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Made Using
RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials v16.2

Resource Pack
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b84ftqrq6fr8nsf/Summit_Trials_Resources.rar

Notes
I had a lot of fun working on Summit Trials! I'm much happier with this game than I am with last years submission, Pokemon Paradox. With this game I wanted to cut out almost all story elements, and focus on challenge and exploration. I wanted to make a game that would be great to Let's Play, where players are dropped onto the island and have complete freedom to approach the tasks in any order they choose! I hope you enjoy this game, because it was a labor of love. I'd like to think that this is the Pokemon game that I would want to play.

Social Media
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/thundaga
I make tutorial videos for how to make Pokemon games in RPG Maker XP.

I also stream the game making process on twitch: twitch.tv/thundagastream

Last edited:

GeometricGames

Novice
I watched all of your videos on making the game and I have to say, IT IS INCREDIBLE. The only problem that I found is that I revisited the HQ to revive my 'mon and when I went outside in the grass I found a level 1 Shinx. My pokemon are from levels 10-15, so I don't think that is entirely correct, but besides that it is an amazing game, keep up the great work!------------------------Okay, now I am finding a bunch of level 1s

Download version 1.1 of Pokemon Summit Trials!
  • Updated movesets for some of the starters (Ex: Now Beldum won't only know Takedown for 20 levels)
  • Slightly increased the delay after taking damage in battle, to make damage taken more readable during battle
  • Added items/TMs to the forest, with a few new paths
  • Added a sign outside Triata HQ clarifying where/when Pokemon scaling is active
The link above is up to date! Use that to download the latest version!

Thank you everyone for your comments! I hope you have fun playing Pokemon Summit Trials!

This game is probably great for players who prefer to strategize than to out level their opponents, but I'm not a good Pokemon player.

The level scaling does keep the challenge consistent without feeling cheap, but in my case that consistent challenge has been during the most boring parts of a Pokemon game, the levels 10 and under. For my first hour playing, all the moves available are pretty much Tackle and Leer, so no movesets are unique and type matchups don't matter. With the level scaling system in place, I wonder if it would affect the gameplay much if my starter had begun at level 12-15 just to make battles interesting from the get-go.

I think the open world feature might be a little misleading?

So far in my playthrough I went directions where I wouldn't run into the rivals but would get a chance to explore instead. Since the Rivals went East and West, I headed North and found a forest area...blocked by Cut Trees.
Then I headed South (There's a sign there that's blocked by cliff in front, but can't be read from the side or back?)
gREJJQK.png

and found the Western path (past the house with the Chansey trainer; I think Chansey's character sheet is missing the right facing sprites) there blocked by Smash Rocks. The Southeastern path was icy and led to a Pokemon Center where the male rival appeared and gave me the HM for Cut.

Anyway after playing some I can say that there does seem to be a good amount of area to explore (I did get into the cave and find branching paths, the ice puzzles are interesting) but man I really should have stocked up on and hoarded some items. Next chance I get, I'm gonna catch an Abra so I can use some teleport because I've seen this whiteout screen too often.
1QdlKxv.png

The white is blindingly literal.

Also I've got a note on something that I'm guessing is probably a quirk of the BW2 Mod and not a design choice made for Summit Trials, but this is the screen for a Pokemon learning a new move via level up:
t8LhNB0.png

There's no information on what the move effects are. In the case of Odor Sleuth, I couldn't remember if it was a move that just improves accuracy or if it was the move that removes Normal Type immunity from Ghost Pokemon, so I looked it up.

Edit: Is there something behind the Normal next to Growl? Is that the party sprite for Zigzagoon?

Last edited:
Summit Trials Update 1.2 is available for download!

Here the things that have been updated:
  • Starter Pokemon begin at level 10
  • Updated some intro dialogue/tweaked intro cutscenes
  • Some moves have been replaced for NPC Pokemon (Lv17 Charmeleon w/ Dragon Rage? No thanks!)
  • Removed the rocks on Route 2 to allow easier access to the Safari Zone (There is a new Rock Smash blockade on Route 6)
  • Removed cut trees in Oleda Forest that prevented forward progress
  • Added small new paths to Oleda Forest with some new items to find
  • Slightly lowered the encounter rates in all caves
  • Reduced the cost of all Repels
  • Added the Trade Expert and Friendship Checker NPCs to the Triata Residence
  • Added two new NPCs near the beginning of the game to give you Pokemon that will help you in your adventure (Seel lovers rejoice!)
  • Lowered the amount of Pokemon that NPC Trainers have near the beginning. The first trainer of every route will only have 1 Pokemon
  • Removed the BW2 summary screen (Too many quirks! Not being able to see move descriptions on level up is very bad!)
  • The black out screen is now appropriately dark (No longer blinding white! Sorry Aki!)
  • Fix some small passability tile issues
  • Updated the strength puzzle in Dark Cave B1F
  • Added one new NPC Trainer to Route 3
  • Wild Pokemon outside Triata HQ changed to level 5-8
  • Added flying type wild Pokemon to Mt. Fuego checkpoints 1 and 2
  • Added some ice tiles to Mt. Hielo checkpoint 2
  • And probably a few more things I'm forgetting!
Thank you so much to everyone for your feedback! I appreciate it a ton, and Summit Trials will become a better game because of it!

Soracion

Lurker
Ive got a rather small but annoying issue, I dont want to spoil what it is but out of curiosity is the pokemon I received from the trade at the safari zone supposed to not listen to me?

Edit: I suppose I could at least call it by its nickname to make things easier, I dont believe it will spoil what the 'mon is. The nickname of the 'mon I'm having issues with is Blur.

Last edited:
Summit Trials has been updated to Version 1.3!
Here is the (shorter) list of changes!
  • Pokemon received from NPCs will no longer disobey
  • A new poison beach route has been added below Route 5
  • A new zone has been added to the Safari Zone
  • Safari Zone steps increased from 600 to 800
Thanks again for your feedback! This may be the final update, unless another bug is found.
I hope you have fun playing Summit Trials!------------------------
i have a magmarizer and a soul stone but i cant evolve my magmar, can someone help?
Try having your Magmar hold the Magmarizer as it levels up!

Goldynole

Rookie
Guys, I completed all the 3 trials. Need to go to the champions lodge. But, I am unable to use rock smash on the way. How to use rock smash? I even received the TM94 for Rock smash.

otakugal3099

Rookie
I ran into a problem with Rock Smash. I taught my Scrafty rock smash but, when I interact with the rock, nothing happens.

melody

Rookie
This game was super fun!! ^_^ Thank you Thundaga for making it, your tutorials are the best

A new version has been uploaded after 3 years! I know, crazy right? Version 1.4 includes the following changes:
  • Increased shiny odds
  • Enabled the Speed Up toggle, activated with the Alt key
  • Resolved the options screen crash
  • Fixed an issue with scaled evolutions not learning new moves
  • Fixed an issue where teleporting to the Safari Zone pokemon center placed the player out of bounds
  • Fixed an issue where teleport could not be used indoors
  • Added teleport locations to all Pokemon Centers
  • Added an EV/IV display screen to Pokemon Summary (replaces the ribbon screen)
  • Added the healing Vial. Defeat summit leaders to earn more charges! For players with old save files, talk to a new NPC in the HQ to receive the Vial!
  • Added a 1.25x EXP multiplier
  • Adjusted level scaling formulas for wild pokemon and trainers, now they are based on highest level pokemon in party
  • Added additional level scaling tiers for rivals and summit leaders
  • Slightly reduced trainer counts in the 3 mountains
  • Added more berry plants throughout the world
  • Added berry pickup SFX
  • Removed fertilizer options and made the proper bag open initially when planting berries
  • Fixed surf passability issues in the Safari Zone
  • Fixed a bug preventing the green crystal in Mt Trueno and creator battle from being accessed
  • Changed the grass to be purple on the poisonous route 9
  • Dusk Balls now increase capture odds in caves
  • Added some fun Splice references! Cypress, stacona blitzle, biogress

LuisOttzelot

Rookie
I don't see the point of getting to the first Leader and she has got a set of pokemon lv 60-65 while I am on lvl 48- 55 and getting my ass whooped every time. The init differece is that great, that I don't even have to try.

FHT158

Rookie
I can't evolve my Onix. I've tried both soul stone and level up. Am I not supposed to use Steelix in this game?

Back