• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Banette & Guilmon - A Pokemon Movie

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Banette & Guilmon
- Visual Novel -
Description:

A visual novel/movie about a Guilmon who’s been living in a modern version of the Pokemon World ever since he walked through a mysterious portal six years prior. Living at an apartment with a reclusive and distant Banette, Guilmon often feels unappreciated and unwanted.

Having a hard time making friends with many other Pokemon, he struggles to find a place in this world he’s forced to live in. However, a few days after they start to get filmed by a documentarian, the relationship between Banette and Guilmon begins to fall apart.

Screenshots:
n9GpThn.png
x7tF20p.png
rorxKNx.png

qCH9Dnv.png
h5vOgEZ.png
k8166oB.png
Download Link:

Right here, just for you!

Made Using:

Pokemon Essentials 16.2
RPG Maker XP

Team:

SmokedPaprika - Writing/Eventing/Mapping/Fan/Punching Bag
LlamaMinister - Guilmon/Portal Sprites/Moral Support/Playtester
LilypadLemur - Character Portraits

Notes:

There are three scenes in the game that are intended to be synced to music. If you click out of the screen during these scenes, the scene will be out of sync and pretty dang wonky. I don't think there's any way to deal with this, so I'll just tell you which scenes I'm talking about.

The prologue.
The beginning of scene 6.
The credits sequence.
Resource Pack:

Here's the goods.

Credits:
Creator:
SmokedPaprika

Art Resources:
The Artistic Corner - Sergiofr_18
Character Portraits - LilypadLemur
Gen 1/2/4 Overworld Rips - Dragoon (Spriter’s Resource)
Gen 3 Overworld Rips - redblueyellow (Spriter’s Resource)
Gen 5 Overworlds - HamsterSkull
Gen 6 Overworlds - princess-phoenix
Gen Overworlds Other - Clara/LunarDusk6/princess-phoenix
Guilmon/Portal Sprites - LlamaMinister
Gumshoos Sprite - Noscium
Mimikyu Sprite - orig02

Software:
Pokemon Essentials - Maruno
RPG Maker XP - enterbrain

Music/Sound Effects:
Another Day of Sun (Instrumental) - Justin Herwitz
ASMR Binaural Breakfast: Cooking and Crinkling Bag Sounds - Xiusho Cavettes
Beautiful Ruin (Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Soundtrack) - Masafumi Takada
Cianwood City (Cover) - HappyDragonite
City of Stars (Instrumental) - Justin Herwitz
Clifford Brown - Strictly Romantic
Dark Tension Rising Music - Mattia Cupelli
death’s dynamic shroud.wmv - International Team
Fire Alarm Sound - Bruce Ingram
Magic Ensemble (Little Busters Soundtrack) - PMMK
Shower Sound Effects - TheMSsoundeffects
Spire - A Million Miles Away
Stand Up - Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Voice Cast
Vacuum Cleaner Running - The Orchard Enterprises
Waiting For Nothing - Jeff Liu
Waterfall - Scarlet Moon Records (Undertale Cover)
Welcome to EDEN (Digimon Cybersleuth Soundtrack) - Masafumi Takada
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Regina Spektor (Unknown Instrumental Cover)

Last edited:

HollowGap

How am I still alive
Whoops, I forgot to post my feedback.

(I only played B&G since the RE installer can't work properly somehow.)

From a visual novel perspective, I think you managed to hit the right tools of storytelling even when using RPGXP. You added visual aid such as Guilmon's pixel eye shifting and expressive mugshots. The music choices are nice, too. What I liked the most is how you balanced the metafiction and drama aspect, in a documentary visual novel! That is really hard to pull off. You managed to keep things fresh for the most part. Although it got really slow sometimes (i.e. Guilmon moving slowly), I think from execution side, it was well done overall.

There is one thing that bugs me, though. In here, you used Guilmon and Banette; a character from different universe. Banette is from Pokemon, and usually every pokemon is a blank-state character, meaning you have the freedom to write what the character will be. On the other hand, I think Digimon characters are different. Digimon already have some traits that are suited to them; i.e., Renamon is mostly stoic, and Impmon is a woobie jerk. From what I can recall, Guilmon is depicted as childish, can't even tell the differences between human and animal and digimon, and loves bread. In here, you wrote him as a more mature and already aware of many things. Slight difference, but it's the one that bugs me. Sure, this is an alternate universe where everything is allowed. But as a fan-material, I think there are certain parts of a character that makes people remember them as themselves. I guess you used Guilmon because you have that plush in your possesion. Imagine you have other Digimon plush, and write the same dialogue tone. How will it turn out?

Digimon characters have different treatment with Pokemon, is what I'm saying, and this Guilmon could have been closer to the source material in terms of personality and traits. Overall, it's pretty enjoyable. You might want to advertise it in a Digimon or visual novel forum or other community outside Relic.

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
I just want to say thanks a whole bunch to everybody here who's given my work a chance - it means the whole world to me. I'm beyond excited to share my next few projects with the world, and I feel that some of my ideas are going to make an impact on those who are willing to give them a chance.

You guys are the best audience in the world, and don't you all forget it. I know that the game's concept sounds like a bit of a bad fanfiction, and being made in RPG Maker might deter a lot of passersby from wanting to check this project out, but this medium is beginning to turn into something I can call "my passion", and I look so much forward to being able to show the storytelling potential of Pokemon as well as RPG Maker, so thanks for sticking with me.

I hope to have an updated version of Banette and Guilmon ready on January 1st with scene selection, and hopefully a little something special to go along with that. So for the last time, thanks a million. I'll see you then!

Kudara

Rookie
I would really like to see this in a Pokemon Battle styled Game! I mean i love that gae as it is but i think we really lack good PokemonXDigmon Fangames^^ and with your story telling would make an awsome crossover game!

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
I would really like to see this in a Pokemon Battle styled Game! I mean i love that gae as it is but i think we really lack good PokemonXDigmon Fangames^^ and with your story telling would make an awsome crossover game!
Thanks for your response. I'm not sure how I could add any battle gameplay elements to this particular story - I'm not sure what Banette or Guilmon would be physically fighting against. I don't have any intentions to make another Pokemon/Digimon crossover story anytime soon, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my game.

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
Hey Pap, leaving my thoughts here instead of at the end of the video so I had some time to decompress and ponder my thoughts.

First, bravo. The stuff you've done with essentials and RPG Maker is some of the most creative engine manipulation i've seen in this community. You managed to make a 90 minute movie where my only action is to press enter to continue something that I became invested in. I felt for some characters, got incredibly frustrated at others, and through it all realized that you managed to make very real characters and stories come to life. In essentials. I woulda been skeptical had someone told me they were gonna attempt a 'movie' in RPG Maker.

The twists were fun, the character of the cameraman was a very interesting and cool choice, and all in all I felt like I was watching a movie. I don't have much in the way of critique because I don't have anything else anything like this to compare it to. But you held my interest for the entirety of it, and I'm glad I got to see the full length kind of story you create.

It was really cool.

Involuntary Twitch

Pixel Artist & Writer
Hey! I 'played' through this the other day and thought I'd leave a comment.
I really enjoyed it; although for the first ten minutes I kept waiting for the point where I would take control of the characters before I realized what the "Movie" part of the title meant. I've never seen anything like this accomplished with RPGMaker; the creative things you were able to accomplish here were really quite remarkable. I loved the format of a faux-documentary, mainly because I watch a lot of actual documentaries, but also that it provided a good window into the world you're trying to portray.

But what makes this movie stand out, more than anything, is the storytelling and characters. You don't pull punches in depicting the relationship between the two main characters. And more than anything, their relationships and interactions feel realistic, which is pretty wild considering they're both imaginary monsters in a made-up monster game world.

You did a really good job, I thought, depicting what the daily struggles with mental illness look like, and the impact it has on both the one suffering as well as their friends and family. Guilmon's story, too, about feeling like an out-of-place immigrant in a society he's not wholly comfortable with, facing discrimination and confusion, felt very real too. Surrounding this human story with the fantastical, quirky, and often hilarious world of Pokemon helps draw the viewer in and also provides some much-needed levity every time the story elements are getting heavy. I loved all of the little side-characters, like Trubbish, Hawlucha, and Mimikyu. By the end of it, I wanted to live in the Pokemon World as well.

I hope you make more projects like this one; with your creative ideas and your writing skills, you've got the potential to make all kinds of unique, unexpected, and interesting art.

Zangoose335

i'm 16 i love zangoose weavile and raichu
Hey! I 'played' through this the other day and thought I'd leave a comment.
I really enjoyed it; although for the first ten minutes I kept waiting for the point where I would take control of the characters before I realized what the "Movie" part of the title meant. I've never seen anything like this accomplished with RPGMaker; the creative things you were able to accomplish here were really quite remarkable. I loved the format of a faux-documentary, mainly because I watch a lot of actual documentaries, but also that it provided a good window into the world you're trying to portray.

But what makes this movie stand out, more than anything, is the storytelling and characters. You don't pull punches in depicting the relationship between the two main characters. And more than anything, their relationships and interactions feel realistic, which is pretty wild considering they're both imaginary monsters in a made-up monster game world.

You did a really good job, I thought, depicting what the daily struggles with mental illness look like, and the impact it has on both the one suffering as well as their friends and family. Guilmon's story, too, about feeling like an out-of-place immigrant in a society he's not wholly comfortable with, facing discrimination and confusion, felt very real too. Surrounding this human story with the fantastical, quirky, and often hilarious world of Pokemon helps draw the viewer in and also provides some much-needed levity every time the story elements are getting heavy. I loved all of the little side-characters, like Trubbish, Hawlucha, and Mimikyu. By the end of it, I wanted to live in the Pokemon World as well.

I hope you make more projects like this one; with your creative ideas and your writing skills, you've got the potential to make all kinds of unique, unexpected, and interesting art.
hi involuntary twitch i'm a HUGE FAN OF POKEMON URANIUM!!!!

Involuntary Twitch

Pixel Artist & Writer
hi involuntary twitch i'm a HUGE FAN OF POKEMON URANIUM!!!!
Um, that's nice, but this thread isn't really the right place for that. Feel free to message me if you want to say something off-topic. This thread is for discussing SmokedPaprika's game Banette & Guilmon, which is really great! It's a different sort of story altogether from most fan games, but I recommend you give it a try all the same, and then comment on how much you liked it!

Georot

Rookie
I just finished it and it was a very emotianally touching ''film'' but i know one thing i LOVED IT keep up the good work and make more things like this and edge rising you have my support and thx

Hornet

Novice
I'm only a couple of years too late for this (like 4 lol), but I had to leave a comment on here.

This game/movie/film/artwork was an absolute masterpiece. When I first started playing it I didn't know how I felt about sitting there and watching/reading through the game, but once I started I just couldn't stop. The music, the story, everything. Legit found myself stuck at my computer getting more and more attached the farther I went along.

I've been playing through a lot of the older Jam Games recently but this one I just had to leave a comment on telling you how great of a job you did creating this.

Thank you

P.S. I hope you still come around to the forums and will end up reading this, and maybe even make another one of these one day!

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
This game is fantastic, honestly, I'm begging you to write a movie lol Everything feels so real, so greatly timed, it got the feel of an oscar-nominated movie XD Also the music at the ends is so niceee, every music in the game captures the music just right

Btw might be weird but my favorite character is Hawlucha, who Guilmon watched a movie with. He just feels like a wholesome frat boy lol

Last edited:
Back