• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Birch's Folly

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
titleScreen.PNG

You've been hired as Professor Birch's new research assistant! When you get to his lab he has some exciting news!

---Gameplay---
The format for this game has you progress through multiple maps in a sort of dungeon with mini-bosses and map bosses, collecting Pokedollars from defeated Pokemon to purchase healing/status items. Starters and encounters are randomly generated from balanced pools, and rather than catching Pokemon, you are given multiple choices similar to starter selection throughout each playthrough. This game is meant to be challenging, with a limited number of healing items, no healing spots, and an optional, but default, perma-death (your save is deleted if you black out).

---Game Length---
Play time is about an hour for a successful run, but will likely take more than one run due to the difficulty and semi-random encounters/team choices.

---Screenshots---
selectScreen.PNG
selectScreen2.PNG
labShot.PNG

bossBattle.PNG
combat.PNG
centerPhase0.PNG

Game Jam Submission Download v1.2

Team:
CourteousGrizzly

Youtube Playthroughs:

Resource Pack: v1.2
Made Using: RPG Maker XP & Pokemon Essentials v19.1

Credits:
Tilesets:
Akizakura16 & ChaoticCherryCake

Plugins:
DeepBlue PacificWaves
Shashu-Greninja
Golisopod User
Tommaniacal
Lucidious89
Weibrot
Kobi2604
Dirkriptide
Ploaj
Mr. Gela
Luka S.J.
Maruno
Marin
PinkCatDragon
Tebited15
BadSamaritan
WolfPP
redblueyellow
Damien
Issei Hyoudou
Nasasu
luckygirl88
FL
Voltseon
ENLS
LimnoDromus

Audio:
ENLS
BellBlitzKing

Other Graphics:
Gen 8 Project - GolisopodUser and Others
Gen 8 Move Animation Project - StCooler and Others
Zygoat
Kymotonian

Game Jam Mandatory Inclusions:
Plot Point: "Technical Difficulties" and "Betrayal"
Key Character: "Professor"

Last edited:
Wow what a game! I have to save this feels like a bit of a hidden gem to me. I really enjoyed this game, I had a few bugs but I've reported them on discord to you.

This game excels in its gameplay and game system, it honestly feels like a super fun battle facility idea, it took me ages to get my first win but it was good. This game really appeals to me because I'm a rogue-lite fanboy at the moment, I've been enjoying Binding of Isaac Repentance way too much and this game hit that itch.

High recommendation to anyone reading this to give it a shot, especially if you are a fan of pokemon battling , one attempt doesn't take too long and it is good fun.

Just a few suggestions though, and I fully understand that these aren't easy to do, these are vague suggestions in an ideal world where you have as much time as you want.
-More unique layouts, having the set up of the 2 mini bosses to the left and right every time was good, it means your knowledge can help you get better at the game, however the path would always be the exact same. It would be cool to see things change up slightly
- I would've loved more from the climax, I was left wanting some further clarification about what just happened, the mystery that unraveled during the game was really intriguing, but I feel like I didn't get a proper answer. The final boss fight probably could've done with a bit of a buff as well, compared to the previous bosses it wasn't too tough

I've already praised this game a lot but some more specific things I really liked:
-There was a lot of effort put into the pokemon pool, and they were all editted to fit the gameplay perfectly. All the evo levels were changed so that you'd see the full pokemon line in 1 run, and their movepools had been made more suitable for the fact that you are only really playing lvl 10 - 25ish. It was very well done and I admire that effort.
-While I wanted more from the climax, I did find the hook of the story really cool, it was a nice mystery that motivated me to keep going.
-And yeah just the gameplay loop itself felt really fun, I loved building a team going through those choices of 5 pokemon each time, and sometimes losing a dear party member for good. The game is good fun!

Loved it! and here is my final team!
1645708184483.png

Haunted Ditto

Creator of Pokemon Pandora and Pokemon Climate
Congrats on submitting a game jam entry!
Here are my thoughts:
Wow, I love it.
This game is truly amazing.
The gameplay loop was fun and the premise of the story was great.
The labyrinth getting more and more corrupted was a nice touch and made the maps look unique even tho is was always the same labyrinth.
Pokemon selection was nice too
Some extra lore about why Girantina is here would have been nice tho.
And maybe add some kind of drops other than just new Pokemon or money. Maybe items like Choice Scarf or a TM.
I hope you will expand this game!

Here is a bug I found:
Screenshot (153).png

Probably because I already had 6 Pokemon in my party

courteousgrizzly

just a friendly bear
Wow what a game! I have to save this feels like a bit of a hidden gem to me. I really enjoyed this game, I had a few bugs but I've reported them on discord to you.

This game excels in its gameplay and game system, it honestly feels like a super fun battle facility idea, it took me ages to get my first win but it was good. This game really appeals to me because I'm a rogue-lite fanboy at the moment, I've been enjoying Binding of Isaac Repentance way too much and this game hit that itch.

High recommendation to anyone reading this to give it a shot, especially if you are a fan of pokemon battling , one attempt doesn't take too long and it is good fun.

Just a few suggestions though, and I fully understand that these aren't easy to do, these are vague suggestions in an ideal world where you have as much time as you want.
-More unique layouts, having the set up of the 2 mini bosses to the left and right every time was good, it means your knowledge can help you get better at the game, however the path would always be the exact same. It would be cool to see things change up slightly
- I would've loved more from the climax, I was left wanting some further clarification about what just happened, the mystery that unraveled during the game was really intriguing, but I feel like I didn't get a proper answer. The final boss fight probably could've done with a bit of a buff as well, compared to the previous bosses it wasn't too tough

I've already praised this game a lot but some more specific things I really liked:
-There was a lot of effort put into the pokemon pool, and they were all editted to fit the gameplay perfectly. All the evo levels were changed so that you'd see the full pokemon line in 1 run, and their movepools had been made more suitable for the fact that you are only really playing lvl 10 - 25ish. It was very well done and I admire that effort.
-While I wanted more from the climax, I did find the hook of the story really cool, it was a nice mystery that motivated me to keep going.
-And yeah just the gameplay loop itself felt really fun, I loved building a team going through those choices of 5 pokemon each time, and sometimes losing a dear party member for good. The game is good fun!

Loved it! and here is my final team!
View attachment 9083
Thank you so much for your kind and constructive comments and bug reports; I really didn't expect to receive feedback so quickly! I'm glad you enjoyed the gameplay, and as a fellow rogue-lite fanboy I'm even more happy that it could scratch that itch. I will definitely be adding some more polish to the game, so I really value the suggestions and opinions on difficulty.

Congrats on submitting a game jam entry!
Here are my thoughts:
Wow, I love it.
This game is truly amazing.
The gameplay loop was fun and the premise of the story was great.
The labyrinth getting more and more corrupted was a nice touch and made the maps look unique even tho is was always the same labyrinth.
Pokemon selection was nice too
Some extra lore about why Girantina is here would have been nice tho.
And maybe add some kind of drops other than just new Pokemon or money. Maybe items like Choice Scarf or a TM.
I hope you will expand this game!

Here is a bug I found:
View attachment 9146
Probably because I already had 6 Pokemon in my party
Thanks so much for the feedback and I'm so happy you enjoyed it as well! I will be adding some more lore and story context in the next update since both you and Tomix mentioned the mystery feeling unresolved. I'm not sure yet if I want to add battle items and TM's or just keep battling a bit simpler, but I'll play with the idea and see if I can find a way to add some that would fit with the story and flow of gameplay.

courteousgrizzly

just a friendly bear
Version 1.2 Changelog:
Bugfixes:
  • Fixed bug where player could get more than 6 Pokemon
  • Fixed spritesheet for Dreepy
  • Fixed typo in mini-boss battle
  • Fixed mini-boss not dropping item when defeated
  • Mini-boss placement is properly randomized
  • Can no longer run from mini-bosses
Balance Changes:
  • Increased final boss difficulty