• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Kaisen

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
Pokémon Kaisen

Screenshot (25).png

Plot Point: Betrayal
Key character: Professor

Made using: Pokémon Essentials V19

Team: SwaggyHere(Lead dev), Nova12(Playtester), PeterParker4444(Playtester)

I know some of you might be thinking, "What kind of weird name is this?" or "Excuse me but what?"
Yes. For the Winter Game Jam 3, I decided to merge the manga/anime, "Jujutsu Kaisen", which I hold very very close to my heart, and Pokémon itself.
And no, no. It is not plagiarising any plot of the original and has it's own storyline and characters.
The game is the first installment of the series, which I hope to make during Game Jams, and covers the "Rise of Curses" arc.
I am still learning about Rpgmaker Xp and also had a sudden surprise exam from school which lasted a week , so I am gonna apologize in advance if the quality lacks in places. (I will be looking to improve my skills post jam though :) ).
Alright enough about myself, let's start with the game.

In the world of humans and Pokémon, there exists another form of being known as Curses which are formed from Cursed Energy and mean nothing but harm to humankind. A secret Jujutsu society exists, comprised of gifted individuals known as Jujutsu Sorcerers who use Cursed Energy for various techniques and protect humankind from these Curses. You, are one such gifted individual who is able to communicate with Pokémon directly through their hearts.
A new part near Kanto has recently been discovered and the Jujutsu Society has sent a group of Sorcerers for the safety of the humans settling there. But danger looms at large as an extremely powerful Curse, known as Special Grades, have been sighted. Before you know it, you have been assigned to help the Sorcerers stationed there in taking it down. A new adventure awaits as well as danger. What waits for you in the depths of this still to be yet properly explored place? It's for you to find out.

1. a.The original 151 Pokémon with some of them having new movesets, abilities and improved stats. (Pssst, Farfetch'd is a monster here in terms of battle((Oh wait no Dark types present, Psychic types go brrrr)).)
1. b. Pokémon that evolve by trade now evolve by level up.
2. (Jumble?) (Brain-tweaking things?) Puzzles!
3. A steep level curve, with the xp system adjusted to not make it feel like a long and tiring grind.
4. An interesting and fresh storyline, which disregards the norm "Losing in a Pokémon battle means the main villain cannot fight anymore."
5. Post-game with sidequests.
6. A teensy-weensy recolored and retextured battle UI.
7. Protagonist getting Fridgephobia. I am serious, please touch all the fridges you see.

Screenie-1.png
First and foremost, credit to Gamefreak and Nintendo for creating Pokémon.
And credit to Gege Akutami and Mappa Studios for creating Jujutsu Kaisen.

Pokemon Essentials credits
--------
Poccil
Flameguru
Maruno
FL.
P-Sign

Graphics
------
SwaggyHere
Aveontrainer
Nagasaky

Tilesets
------
Ekat
Vurtax
Heartlessdragoon
thedeadheroalistar
Alistar
Slimshady
Idilio
Aveontrainer
HeroAlistar
Redblueyellow
SteamyJ
Anonaplacca
Pokémon Rejuvenation
Puggsoy
Zein
War8
Morlockhater
Nemu
Ross Hawkins
Pokemon Dawn
The-Red-Ex
Fabnt

Music
-----
Eric Matyas (www.soundimage.org)
Fonzi M- Melodies on Piano

Plugins(Modular Title Screen and Luka's scripting utilities)
-----
Gamefreak
Luka S.j.

1. Once the game has been released, any bugs you encounter should be reported either here or to my Discord username SwaggyHere#3853.
2. The puzzles have been created thinking that you put a bit of thought into them. Feel free to check the walkthrough if you are stuck.
3. Again, if you need the information about changes a Pokémon species has, refer to this document.
4. The battles after entering bottom floor of ruins are all losable. This has been done to keep the tension of the cutscene consistent.
5. And that's about it. Enjoy the game!

Version 1.0.1- (Download the one below, the above one is bugged one T_T)

Let me know if I missed someone out in Credits. Have fun playing :D.

Last edited:

SwaggyHere

Novice
Game link posted! I mentioned in the walkthrough but I will say it again, the battles after entering the ladder in ruins are losable to keep the tension of the cutscene consistent.

And with that said, enjoy the game! Reviews are most appreciated to help me improve in the next one :)

Ickle

Trainer
is it normal that I can't run? Also there are a lot of encounters I keep doing two steps and going into battle I dunno whether I'm just unlucky or the encounters are boosted. Other than that the game looks great I loved Jujutsu Kaisen so I'm really enjoying this.

Last edited:

SwaggyHere

Novice
is it normal that I can't run? Also there are a lot of encounters I keep doing two steps and going into battle I dunno whether I'm just unlucky or the encounters are boosted. Other than that the game looks great I loved Jujutsu Kaisen so I'm really enjoying this.
I just started in the spriting department and time was limited so I had to skip the running/cycling/fishing sprites for protags, so yeah its normal you can't run 😅.
Also not really, the encounter rate is 30 out of 180 in places where grass is less. As mentioned its a steep level curve, so as much ways of getting xp possible. I don't think levelling up is hard though?
Also good to see that you are enjoying it. 😄

Dedbed

Novice
Hey there! I just beat the game! Here's some feedback for ya!

Love the characters and overall story!
Lots of items to pick up
I got rick rolled
No fights were really difficult and leveling was fast (once you get surf it did have to make me grind a little actually)

The fact that you cant see far in the first forest and it being a kinda big maze was a little annoying
Tile errors at map transitions
1645612945697.png
Surf encounter rate is super high. had an encounter every 3 tiles at most (I bought a lot of repels for this)
Same for cave encounters
Lots of the same trees around with a gab in-between them. Makes it look like you can walk there but you cant
No cue you did the puzzle correct in ruins entrance
Actually did run into a bit of a game breaking bug with the Valley fights.
If you lose to the fight. The rest of the event still plays out after being teleported back to a nurse which causes the game to softlock since things wont move anymore. My guess is that the forced fights are not in a conditional branch so win or lose the event still plays out.

SwaggyHere

Novice
Hey there! I just beat the game! Here's some feedback for ya!

Love the characters and overall story!
Lots of items to pick up
I got rick rolled
No fights were really difficult and leveling was fast (once you get surf it did have to make me grind a little actually)

The fact that you cant see far in the first forest and it being a kinda big maze was a little annoying
Tile errors at map transitions View attachment 9030Surf encounter rate is super high. had an encounter every 3 tiles at most (I bought a lot of repels for this)
Same for cave encounters
Lots of the same trees around with a gab in-between them. Makes it look like you can walk there but you cant
No cue you did the puzzle correct in ruins entrance
Actually did run into a bit of a game breaking bug with the Valley fights.
If you lose to the fight. The rest of the event still plays out after being teleported back to a nurse which causes the game to softlock since things wont move anymore. My guess is that the forced fights are not in a conditional branch so win or lose the event still plays out.

I will look into the boss battles of the valleys (assuming that you are talking about those) and check the encounter rate.
I am aware of the tileset errors but considering that they are not game-breaking, I don't really deem them important for a fix. They are mostly there due to my extremely frail knowledge of mapping at the start.
The puzzle at the entrance of the ruins deliberately does not give u a sign you have completed it. There are no encounters in the room. And besides, the ruin makers wouldn't want people to know so easily that they have unlocked the ruins.
Thanks for the feeback, really appreciate it! 😄

SwaggyHere

Novice
Pokémon Kaisen Version 1.0.1 is out! Please read the bug fixes and patch notes.
1.Fixed a game-breaking bug softlocking the game if you lose a boss battle.
2. Fixed Pokémon encounters occuring at an extreme high rate.
3. Some minor spelling corrections.

Save somewhere, anywhere before the ruins. If you have saved while in a boss battle event, I am sorry but not even a hacker can help you from unintentionally softlocking.
Then just install the update and let it replace the original files.

Tsuki0409

Rookie
reliccastle is lagging as heck;-;
this bug(?) happen after I encountered a sandshrew in the canken forest;0
the game didn't crash, the map was reset after another trainer battle
also there is a dragon rage bug

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-24 211755.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-24 211755.png
    5 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Hey there! I completed your game and I made a video about it here. I'll share some of my thoughts here, but the video will probably have more detail on it.
Wow, this is one impressive game. Being able to complete a game that's this long for a game jam that lasts about six weeks is really impressive, and you should be proud of that. However, there were a few things that I would have changed. Firstly, I thought the game was a little too difficult. I read some of your comments about design decisions that you made on the game, and that you wanted it to be difficult. There's no problem with that! However, I think that increasing the encounter rate in tall grass and adding in a bunch of trainers isn't a good way to make a game difficult in my opinion. If it were me, I probably would have added the Exp All, which would've softened the level curve a bit. On the other hand, I thought your music was great! I definitely was bopping to a lot of the themes in the game. My final point that I want to make is that I wish that I could've accessed the explanation of the world of Jujutsu Kaisen outside of the Intro. I tried to understand all I could, but I think I forgot some things, which made the ending of the game pretty confusing to me. With all that said though, this is still a really impressive game, and I tell you really care about it!

SwaggyHere

Novice
Hey there! I completed your game and I made a video about it here. I'll share some of my thoughts here, but the video will probably have more detail on it.
Wow, this is one impressive game. Being able to complete a game that's this long for a game jam that lasts about six weeks is really impressive, and you should be proud of that. However, there were a few things that I would have changed. Firstly, I thought the game was a little too difficult. I read some of your comments about design decisions that you made on the game, and that you wanted it to be difficult. There's no problem with that! However, I think that increasing the encounter rate in tall grass and adding in a bunch of trainers isn't a good way to make a game difficult in my opinion. If it were me, I probably would have added the Exp All, which would've softened the level curve a bit. On the other hand, I thought your music was great! I definitely was bopping to a lot of the themes in the game. My final point that I want to make is that I wish that I could've accessed the explanation of the world of Jujutsu Kaisen outside of the Intro. I tried to understand all I could, but I think I forgot some things, which made the ending of the game pretty confusing to me. With all that said though, this is still a really impressive game, and I tell you really care about it!
This ought to be the most thorough breakdown of the flaws in the game. I will most definitely keep those points in mind (albeit I already cringed out at a lot of those parts while replaying a few days ago).
Thank you for the criticism! It will help a lot while making the next game.

Vkapoo03

Rookie
I’m having fun so far but there is a glitch during the second curse battle. After beating Pidgeotto, my character continuously moves up and I am unable to progress

OwnerPlays123

Rookie
Hello I'm having an issue on the second curse battle when i finished the battle i cant move my character is there anyways to fix it?

HauntedDani

A silly little guy
I literally just made this account to say thank you for making this omg

I have been hyperfixating on JJK for the past few months and Pokemon has been my special interest for the past 14 years. I am ABSOLUTELY FROTHING AT THE MOUTH waiting for the game to load faster. Again, thank you from the bottom of my very silly lil heart for making this!!

Kyariel

Rookie
Anyone know why the game won't let me past the berry tree puzzle? I follow the directions and the cave won't let me in.

Back