• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Team Mapper TEAM MAPPER: Trial III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Mapper
It's time for yet another Team Mapper trial! Team Mapper is a mapping event on Relic Castle where all participants come together to create one large map, by each creating small plots of the map. These small maps are put together, and the goal is to create a coherent, proper map with variety.

How does Team Mapper work?
Unlike the previous two Team Mapper trials, this time we will be creating relatively isolated and self-contained maps. These maps will be 40x40 in size, and be in a specific location in a predetermined region map layout. All the maps in this region will be created over the course of 4 separate rounds, where the creators in round 1 will create maps marked with number 1, round 2's creators will create maps with number 2, etc. Each round consists of an Election phase, during which you may voice your interest in creating a map and which map you'd like to create, and a Mapping phase, in which the chosen/"elected" people will create and post their maps. As there will likely be more people expressing interest in making a map, we cannot guarantee a spot for you; so please wait for the start of the Mapping phase to find out if you're part of this round, and which map you've been assigned!

At the end of each round, a full-scale (very large!) image will be posted with all the maps from the previous rounds so that it may be referenced in the next round by people with connected maps.

You may use any program to want to create the map, as long as you submit a valid, 3-layer map file that is usable in RPG Maker XP. You also have to use the default Pokémon Essentials v19.1 Outside tileset, with its default autotiles. But this time around, you are allowed to use events as graphics. This means that you can use trainer character sprites, for instance, although you are not expected to create actual events with dialogue or else, as this will not be relevant to the final image of the region and all its maps. This allows you to populate routes with trainers, or cities and towns with NPCs.

The goal is to fill in every single plot, and to try to create a map that makes sense, has as few tile errors as possible, and connects smoothly. In the first round, none of the plots are connected and you have total creative freedom as to how your map looks, provided it makes sense for the location in the region map.

Note: since the goal is to create a real region with real map connections, you should also think about the player being able to look into the void if you do not have sufficient barrier trees (or mountains, or water, or something else; this is up to you). One single tree on the left of your map is not enough, for instance, as the player can see at least 8 blocks to its side and will be able to see the void.

To participate in this event, you must reply to this thread during the Election phase of a round and state the map you would like to make, in a top 3 list in descending order based on your favourite plot (for instance, if you really want to make map C, but your second choice is map A and the third choice is map B, you would say 1. C, 2. A, 3. C).

That means that you are allowed to include maps that other people have picked in your top 3 too! When the mapping phase starts, we will determine who gets to make each map based on your preferences. So you can still reply, even if every map has been picked already, because there is a chance you will get one of those maps rather than someone who came before you.

Trial III. Even Bigger

Welcome to Team Mapper, a Relic Castle mapping challenge with a more collaborative spirit than competitive, this time by coming together to create a small region!

The following criteria must be met:
  • You may only create maps on the plot that you have been assigned.
  • You must use the default outside tileset, as well as all the default character sprites that come with Pokémon Essentials v19.1.
  • You may only be assigned one plot per round. You may request another plot during another round, but those who haven't made a map yet will get priority.
  • No grid may be visible on any submitted map screenshots.
  • If assigned a plot, you must create an upload a non-blurry screenshot of the map and the MapXXX.rxdata file in the Data folder within 24 hours of the start of the Mapping phase.

This is what the layout of the to-be-created region looks like, and in what round each map will be created:
region_mapper_small.png

Within this layout, a brown background means the area is a town or city, green means a forest, route, or some other type of nature/wildlands, and blue means a body of water (ocean, big river, sea, etc).

And this is what our current region looks like, with all maps numbered (warning: large image):

Happy mapping!

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 1: Election

The first round has begun! If you'd like to create one of the maps marked with a 1 in the region layout image, please make a post below with the number of the map you'd like to make (a top 3!). The maps are numbered in the large image within the spoiler.

After 24 hours, we will start the Mapping phase of this round and announce who will be creating which maps during this phase!

Conmh

Novice
yes hi. I will take a map please. How about 33, 32, or 8?

Last edited:

Arma

A Martian Hyena
Hi, I'd like the center-most 1 please! (the one above the water 4 in the bottom) If not I'd like the top one in the center, or any other at a T-junction, please. Thanks!

So in order: 36, 4, 33. Thank you. uwu

Last edited:

Samdeman123124

Novice
I'd like the
1. 1 map in the bottom left corner! 42
2. Map in the bottom right corner 48
3. Map at the top left corner 8

NocTurn

Hoothoot enthusiast
Hey there, welcome to my epic pog top 3 list of the best roundone plots ever ever
As a disclaimer, this is my opinion and if you don't like it then you can suck an egggggggg

1. 48
This plot is the bestest
2. 42
This plot is the second bestest
3. 33
This plot is the third bestest and I'd like any of these very much thank you please like and subscribe

Sipondo

Don't Go, Pikachu! & Ulix Dexflow framework
Finally one I can participate in! :D

I'd like to work together with a mate on (in order of priority) 4, 23 or 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back