• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Guild: A Warrior's Fantasy v. 1.1

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Game Title: Pokemon Guild: A Warrior's Fantasy
Description: Let us take a step back and view the world of Pokemon through a different set of eyes. Instead of becoming a trainer and traveling around regions building up a team, battling against other trainers, evolving them, and collecting badges in preparation for the Elite Four and the Champion at the end, what if we weren't able to actually send them out to do the battling for us, instead having to do the fighting ourselves with weapons and skills, not just against other people, but against Pokemon themselves? This is exactly what that is. Throughout the world, there are organizations where people band together for a common cause called guilds. Guilds typically work towards making the world a better place, though that isn't always the case. In some instances, they are actually quite evil and underhanded in the way they go about getting things done, usually only involved in what they are doing for the money and fame.
Pokemon Guild is set up in a manner similar to Dragon Quest, with some Final Fantasy IX splashed in. In it, you assume control of either Red, Blue, or Leaf, a young swordsman/swordswoman who seeks to join a guild themselves in order to help anyone and everyone in need, as well as the opportunity to explore the world they live in.
Features:

EQUAP Skills - You don't learn any skills as you gain experience and level up. Instead, all the skills you can learn throughout the game are bound to your equipment. As long as you have it equipped to a character, they can use the skill and gather points as they win battles in order to learn them; removing the item before one is mastered removes it from your list of available skills. Once learned, you can move onto another piece of equipment.
Passive Skills - Special skills given to equipment that give bonuses to stats, gold, exp, or any combination of them.
Auto States - Upon a character's HP reaching a certain percentage, they enter into a state of empowerment, giving them a variety of bolstering effects. These effects do not run out once they are activated, so long as your HP doesn't go above the threshold for activating the auto-state.
Quest System - Not much to say... Main thing here is that quests are broken into 2 different categories, Main and Side. Main quests progress the game itself and mainly offer exp or gold as a reward, occasionally items that you can't find in shops. Side quests usually break away from the main and are opposite in terms of rewards (giving you items that you either can buy now, early access to one that appears later, or getting a rare item that only appears once).
Skill Separation - This is mainly done in 3 ways: Physical, Special, and Status. Physical moves require you to expend your own HP in order to perform them; Special and Status moves consume your SP in order for them to be used. Occasionally, you'll find a move that falls into either the Physical/Special category that actually consumes both, so you've been warned.
Forging - Yeah, that's right. You can take your old junk to a smithy, throw in a few other items (if needed), and get something better out of the deal. Items can be crafter into different, more powerful versions of themselves, weapons and armors can be imbued with elemental properties, gain improved stats, and sometimes come with a learnable skill. But be careful; Should you choose to do the opposite with items that can be broken down, you'll get only half of what you spent to make it and you might get a base component out of it.
Difficulty System - I put this last for one reason and that is because it can be a complete pain. Setting a difficulty doesn't seem like much of a bad thing, but think about it like this: you can either make the game super easy by nerfing the enemy's damage and making gold, exp and your damage OP or super frustrating by nerfing all of that in the game and make the enemy's damage OP. Plain and simple.

Game Screenshots:
Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG
Game Download:
Made Using: RPG Maker XP
Team: AngelusMortis (aka Kirik); Alcanik (aka Karma)
Notes: When you download the game, you will notice that the Resource Pack is also included in the folder, both the zipped and normal folder. I forgot to remove it when I zipped it, so sorry for the file size.
The weapons and armors list is incomplete in the game folder nor was an items list put together.
Also, for some unknown reason, the game crashes whenever F12 is pushed, so avoid hitting it if you can.
Resource Pack:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/imzumx6ajr33c4x/rtp.zip/file
Credits:
System

Enterbrain

Original Works

Nintendo
Game Freak
Creatures Inc

Title Image

FelixMittermeier - Background
Fontmeme.com - Title Font

Music

PocketMonstersMusic
Junichi Masuda
Go Ichinose
mariomaxi95
仲野順也
TheQueenOfGaming
Twiggies
Masamichi Amano
Poesnacks
KunaiKitsune

Sound Effects

thecrow_br
AlexCaughtFire

Scripts

KleinStudio
Blizzard
TerreAqua
ArcaneAlchemy
game_guy
GuardianAngelX72
BanisherOfEden
italianstal1ion
indinera
Yami
blazinhandle
Arrow-1
Caro La Rushe
Zan
shahafyz57
Echo
Cid
Fantasist
Ceaon
NAMKCOR
mumerus
chino69
Subsonic_Noise
Heretic
ForeverZerO
Peekimon

Graphics

Indogutsu Tenbuki - TO:TKoL Icons
Ren "Foxx" Ramos - SN2 Spears
Banpresto - SN2 Spears
daumoth - FF6 Tiles
Clara - PKMN OWs
Princess Pheonix - PKMN OWs
LunarDusk6 - PKMN OWs
CrimsonPenguin - D HoD Sprites
NerysRhys - FFTA2 Icons
Random Talking Bush - PE Trainers
wormintheworks - PFRLG Attacks
DeathBringer - TLoZ Icons
SmithyGCN - ToE Magic, CSotN Items
Pokemon Showdown - Pokemon Battle Sprites
Darkfox - Spin Shot
Rose_of_Yoshiki - Fire Drop
[ICODE][/ICODE]

Update - I updated the game folder with the animations, game over, transitions, and window skin folders so that the game will work properly. I also included a link in the post to a zipped RTP folder for RMXP for anyone interested in the content there.
Update 1.1 - Game has been updated to fix bugs and errors.

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
It seems you are using RTP resources which you probably should have included in the game's respective folders (it works for you because the game loads them from your RTP installation I assume. However, it won't work for anyone else, at least people who don't have the RTP installed). The game is looking for SE and Windowskin files (probably even more files) for every action that demands them - I copy pasted a windowskin file to progress past the Title Screen, but then the game looked for the Audio/SE/001 sound file (selection move button, so any direction key to navigate the menu), which it couldn't find, so it closed. The player can't get past the title screen and into the game unless you put those files in. (and every other RTP file your game uses).

AngelusMortis

Novice
It seems you are using RTP resources which you probably should have included in the game's respective folders (it works for you because the game loads them from your RTP installation I assume. However, it won't work for anyone else, at least people who don't have the RTP installed). The game is looking for SE and Windowskin files (probably even more files) for every action that demands them - I copy pasted a windowskin file to progress past the Title Screen, but then the game looked for the Audio/SE/001 sound file (selection move button, so any direction key to navigate the menu), which it couldn't find, so it closed. The player can't get past the title screen and into the game unless you put those files in. (and every other RTP file your game uses).
I... honestly didn't think about that and I should've. Didn't even cross my mind. Unfortunately, I, myself, can't update the game with them at this moment in time. Big F on my part.

AngelusMortis

Novice
I believe I have the appropriate folders loaded correctly now. I could be mistaken.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
I believe I have the appropriate folders loaded correctly now. I could be mistaken.
I can confirm that the game boots normally. However I am having a problem with input, specifically, either the left or the up key are being pressed on their own. This might be related to my setup and the fact that I have a controller plugged in already (and I think I've seen this happen before with non rmxp games) so it'd be helpful if someone could replicate this. In any case if I manage to resolve it and progress further, I'll make sure to leave a review.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
An inspired RPG with a very unique blend of standard rpg and pokemon ideas, a promising setting and a well-designed progression, accompanied by musical choices that fit both worlds.

Thoughts:

- idea of guilds is interesting, as well as the concept of fighting mons

- interior maps are just a bit on the big side, otherwise they're looking fine

- rows upon rows of romance novels... yikes!

- fighter abilities are interesting, as well as the fighter-mon connection

- battle backgrounds are a bit too literally stretched imo

- is it mentioned anywhere that alt is the spped up button? Also, is the player able to run?

- you can always escape from enemy mons. Is that by design? -- edit, apparently not in later routes

- nicely designed route path back from boulderbadge, easy to return, hard to reach, well done

- perhaps replace the standard m.attack etc animations, they look a bit out of place, it'd be nicer with traditional mon animations, and player m.attack would look better with a "stat up" traditional mon anim. easy to add to the sheets

-quest 64?

- wild battles are fairly challenging, a couple of notches up from your standard spam encounter difficulty on first rpg levels. How people receive this might be mixed, I dont mind it, but I can see why the back and forth to heal just because of medium random encounters difficulty could be taken as a bit much

- I like how you mapped the connected apartments. If they were a bit more compact, they'd be both unique and proportionate to the character's size

- the overall setting and idea would make for a very good Pokemon side game, assuming you manage to successfully merge the worlds of high-fantasy jrpgs with pokemon. It's always difficult to find the right balance (e.g. you could use pokemon energy instead of magic, and weapons could be mon parts like Pawniard swords etc). Imo, it would be best to not stray too far from pokemon's overall image and conventions, you can still craft something very unique while using what Pokemon lore and setting provides you

- quests, forging, and shiny monds are all good additions

- moving to blight town, exterior mapping is getting better and better

- requesters shouldnt be called "NPC 5" etc.

- one idea would be to reduce encounter frequency based on level, so early encounters would happen less frequently once the player got stronger

- nice addition of shiny powers. However, would they call starter mons "starters" in this setting?

- where exactly is that starter? nevermind I found it in the first route, but Im not sure if the questgiver mentioned it. Perhaps it should be mentioned in the quest details

- I like how you get the flame sword prerequisites from the first two quests

- one skill or attack ledyba used showed a "1" on the in-battle text pop-up. Don't know what that means

- dialogue w hunter in the woods goes a bit too fast, feels a bit rushed (understandable given the jam, no worries)

- seems like all skills deplete HP?

- overall progression based on available items, levelling, and money, seems good

- inn map is a bit big

- the beginning is heavily tuotrialized with text dumps, but this is also understandable given the jam and the new mechanics

Bugs:

---MAJOR---

the player is allowed to progress without meeting the siblings upstairs. When meeting bugcatcher in the woods without having visited their house first, the two siblings spawned out of nowhere as if they were in the player's party. Hadn't acquired them as party members up to that point. And after the event, I only had hunter as a selectable party member

- if you go back the way you came in the woods, the boss battle with beedrill and buttefree happens again! You forgot to make a page for with A self-switch set to ON.

--- minor ----

- interior maps have snapped edges and have no space around the rooms

- "before you leave, you have to have permission from the leader before you leave" two "before you leave"s are redundant, also, since getting permission is an action in this context, it'd be better if you phrased it as "you have to get/take/receive permission"

- exterior maps also have snapped edges

- cross slash seems to reduce player HP and not SP, also display says it costs 0. Is that a side-effect of blaze?

- random encounters happen outside tall grass, perhaps a design choice due to how RMXP handles default random encounters

- you can use ember even if you unequip charamander's ball, is this normal? do you remember skills forever after an item equip? doesnt seem to apply to headbutt

- should defense curl and other stat up skills be able to miss?

- you can walk on the drawer next to the green-white bed in the righthand part of the apartment's top floor

- Lisa: "excuse us, I home (should be hope) the Insurgence Guild..."

- you can't face towards a map exit and exit immediately, you have to walk back one tile. I'm not sure if you can change this via "event touch" and not player touch with a conditional branch to check for player direction. Otherwise, you put the player touch event one tile down in interior maps, but since you are doing this on snapped exterior maps Im not sure how you'd go about it. Try "event touch" with specific to map direction conditional

- mother still says her children went to join the guild next door if you go back to the house once the cutscene plays, instead of saying something like they went further ahead to the next town

- flame slash also depletes HP

- npc grandpa 5 has the same dialogue even after you've delivered the letter

- package for elder in dewsbury town, when given by NPC 5, shows no indication "got item"

- same for metal coat mayor gives you upon delivering it. also it's called metal powder in the item menu

- no indication of interacting with pokeball post starter defeats, same with reward from giver

- "upstairs in the room" mother dialogue still shows even after you've talked to the siblings

- last town music doesnt play if you come from the route south. But it does if you go inside the pokecenter/inn and then come out

Strong Suite: Uniqueness, Balance, Mechanics, Mapping Ideas, Concept
Feel: Adventure, Fantasy, Traditional-rpg

AngelusMortis

Novice
An inspired RPG with a very unique blend of standard rpg and pokemon ideas, a promising setting and a well-designed progression, accompanied by musical choices that fit both worlds.

Thoughts:

- idea of guilds is interesting, as well as the concept of fighting mons

- interior maps are just a bit on the big side, otherwise they're looking fine

- rows upon rows of romance novels... yikes!

- fighter abilities are interesting, as well as the fighter-mon connection

- battle backgrounds are a bit too literally stretched imo

- is it mentioned anywhere that alt is the spped up button? Also, is the player able to run?

- you can always escape from enemy mons. Is that by design? -- edit, apparently not in later routes

- nicely designed route path back from boulderbadge, easy to return, hard to reach, well done

- perhaps replace the standard m.attack etc animations, they look a bit out of place, it'd be nicer with traditional mon animations, and player m.attack would look better with a "stat up" traditional mon anim. easy to add to the sheets

-quest 64?

- wild battles are fairly challenging, a couple of notches up from your standard spam encounter difficulty on first rpg levels. How people receive this might be mixed, I dont mind it, but I can see why the back and forth to heal just because of medium random encounters difficulty could be taken as a bit much

- I like how you mapped the connected apartments. If they were a bit more compact, they'd be both unique and proportionate to the character's size

- the overall setting and idea would make for a very good Pokemon side game, assuming you manage to successfully merge the worlds of high-fantasy jrpgs with pokemon. It's always difficult to find the right balance (e.g. you could use pokemon energy instead of magic, and weapons could be mon parts like Pawniard swords etc). Imo, it would be best to not stray too far from pokemon's overall image and conventions, you can still craft something very unique while using what Pokemon lore and setting provides you

- quests, forging, and shiny monds are all good additions

- moving to blight town, exterior mapping is getting better and better

- requesters shouldnt be called "NPC 5" etc.

- one idea would be to reduce encounter frequency based on level, so early encounters would happen less frequently once the player got stronger

- nice addition of shiny powers. However, would they call starter mons "starters" in this setting?

- where exactly is that starter? nevermind I found it in the first route, but Im not sure if the questgiver mentioned it. Perhaps it should be mentioned in the quest details

- I like how you get the flame sword prerequisites from the first two quests

- one skill or attack ledyba used showed a "1" on the in-battle text pop-up. Don't know what that means

- dialogue w hunter in the woods goes a bit too fast, feels a bit rushed (understandable given the jam, no worries)

- seems like all skills deplete HP?

- overall progression based on available items, levelling, and money, seems good

- inn map is a bit big

- the beginning is heavily tuotrialized with text dumps, but this is also understandable given the jam and the new mechanics

Bugs:

---MAJOR---

the player is allowed to progress without meeting the siblings upstairs. When meeting bugcatcher in the woods without having visited their house first, the two siblings spawned out of nowhere as if they were in the player's party. Hadn't acquired them as party members up to that point. And after the event, I only had hunter as a selectable party member

- if you go back the way you came in the woods, the boss battle with beedrill and buttefree happens again! You forgot to make a page for with A self-switch set to ON.

--- minor ----

- interior maps have snapped edges and have no space around the rooms

- "before you leave, you have to have permission from the leader before you leave" two "before you leave"s are redundant, also, since getting permission is an action in this context, it'd be better if you phrased it as "you have to get/take/receive permission"

- exterior maps also have snapped edges

- cross slash seems to reduce player HP and not SP, also display says it costs 0. Is that a side-effect of blaze?

- random encounters happen outside tall grass, perhaps a design choice due to how RMXP handles default random encounters

- you can use ember even if you unequip charamander's ball, is this normal? do you remember skills forever after an item equip? doesnt seem to apply to headbutt

- should defense curl and other stat up skills be able to miss?

- you can walk on the drawer next to the green-white bed in the righthand part of the apartment's top floor

- Lisa: "excuse us, I home (should be hope) the Insurgence Guild..."

- you can't face towards a map exit and exit immediately, you have to walk back one tile. I'm not sure if you can change this via "event touch" and not player touch with a conditional branch to check for player direction. Otherwise, you put the player touch event one tile down in interior maps, but since you are doing this on snapped exterior maps Im not sure how you'd go about it. Try "event touch" with specific to map direction conditional

- mother still says her children went to join the guild next door if you go back to the house once the cutscene plays, instead of saying something like they went further ahead to the next town

- flame slash also depletes HP

- npc grandpa 5 has the same dialogue even after you've delivered the letter

- package for elder in dewsbury town, when given by NPC 5, shows no indication "got item"

- same for metal coat mayor gives you upon delivering it. also it's called metal powder in the item menu

- no indication of interacting with pokeball post starter defeats, same with reward from giver

- "upstairs in the room" mother dialogue still shows even after you've talked to the siblings

- last town music doesnt play if you come from the route south. But it does if you go inside the pokecenter/inn and then come out

Strong Suite: Uniqueness, Balance, Mechanics, Mapping Ideas, Concept
Feel: Adventure, Fantasy, Traditional-rpg

Thank you for playing this entry. I'm glad you enjoyed it, despite some of the issues/mistakes it has that was missed. I enjoyed it, even the headaches I endured getting some of the features to work correctly.
Some of your thoughts and bugs you mentioned I can answer for you. I'll probably miss some going through this (such as grammar, which is a major flaw of my own), but I will make note of them regardless of mentioning them.

1. The stretched background... Yeah... I had to reduce the image size a good bit for it to fit appropriately on the screen, so it may have lost some appeal there. I could possibly go with simply cropping it, but it may not look right that way. We'll see.
2. I don't remember precisely, but running away has something to do with Agility. The higher yours is compared to the enemies, the better. The lower, the worse.
3. Yeah, in hindsight, the term "starter" shouldn't be used, I agree.
4. Also, speaking of this quest, I will look into whether or not it is mentioned in both the game dialog and quest menu as to the location. If not, I'll adjust accordingly.
5. I'm glad you like the shiny versions having addition powers. I thought it would be a good addition to give the shiny versions access to moves they don't typically learn via leveling.
6. If Ledyba died the next turn by you or simply dealt damage, then I'm pretty sure it was using the charge skill Bide, which requires 1 turn of charging before attacking the player. Never had it actually use the move against me, so I'm guessing atm. No real way for it to absorb the damage and redirect it to the player, so it just got a damage spike.

Major bugs:
1. All I got to say is OOF! I had simply forgotten to place a path blocker to prevent the player from leaving without the twins, which is probably a pain to make any good progress.
2. I could've swore I had, but knowing me, I doubt it.

1. Physical Moves, such as Cross Slash and Flame Slash, show 0 casting cost because of the fact that it drains your HP. The script for the mechanic doesn't override the preset SP display to show HP cost, so it has some confusion. Special Moves, such as Water Gun and Ember, do drain SP, so it is visible. HOWEVER, two skills in the demo are listed as Special, with one draining nothing and the other draining both. (I really wanted to utilize SP Death for this concept as well, but it didn't work out.)
2. For Ember/Headbutt: In the Skill menu, it has skill_name (Y/X), with Y being current AP and X being max AP, which is a variable that wouldn't display how much you gain at the end of battles for some unknown reason. Regardless of that, when Y < X, the player has access to the skill, so long as the appropriate item is still equipped to them. Once removed, the skill goes with it. When Y = X, the skill is permanently set to the character, despite having the item actually equipped or not.
3. With the way that stat buffs/debuffs are handled in the main series games, not being able to successfully replicate it in base XP without making the skills evolve, and using another script, I had to limit the way that they function in this. Once a stat has been buffed/debuffed (outside of auto-states), they have a 5-turn duration. During those 5 turns, you can't have the same buff/debuff applied to you.
4. Yeah, the way that battles are handled in XP are like standard JRPGs : You walk around and enter battles. I had read a way to make encounter areas on the map via a script, but I'd have to do it for every separate patch of grass, so I decided against it.

1. Going off your idea of further emmersing the two worlds and weapons made from parts of Pokemon, that is something I'll look into for the future (weapons/armors/accessories) as part of the Forging aspect of the game, while also utilizing a multiple drop item system that is somewhere in that mess of scripts and having the item be one of the lowest available drops.

Back