• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Golden Diamonds

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
I was rushed heavily, so yes, this thread looks bad ;-;

Pokemon Golden Diamonds

Screenshots
1628659664812.png
1628659704162.png
1628659732152.png

1628659771403.png
1628659942812.png
1628660134636.png

Game Download
Download V0.1.0

Features
Roughly 45-90 mins gameplay (short game)
EBDX
Following Pokemon
A fakemon starter evolution line

Made Using
RPG Maker XP & Pokemon Essentials v19.1

Team
Only me

Notes
I originally had a pretty solid idea for the game jam, but unfortunately, life got in the way, and a few days ago I released that the work I had done was not up to my standards, and the game I had so far was not something I wanted to share with everyone as of yet. So, a couple of days ago, I started this game and finished it in those few days. Hopefully, the other game I had planned will be finished in the future, but not for this game jam, and hopefully, everyone enjoys this game, made very hastily in the last few days.

Resource Pack
Here

Credits

PrincessPhoenix - Fakemon Starter Sprites
Nocturn - Fakemon Festival Pack
Nocturn - HGSS Terrain Balls
PurpleZaffre - Gen 4 Overworld Pack
DiegoWT - Pokémon Gen 5 Characters in Gen 4 OW style
Mr Gela - Gen 4 and 5 Trainer sprites and PBS
VanillaSunshine - ALL Official Gen 4 Overworld Sprites

Horo
Beta
PrincessPhoenix
Carchagui
PkmnAlexandrite
Phyromatical
ClaraDragon
EVoLiNa
ChaoticCherryCake
PeekyChew
The-Red-Ex
Zeo254
Magiscarf
KyleDove
Hek el grande
Maxewenx
Pablus94
Nyaruko
Kid
Rayquaza-dot
Kaze
Nyaruko
Kyle-Dove
Pablus94
Elena
Vazquinho
Rize

Sprites:
GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion
Tebited15, WolfPP, Issei Hyoudou, Nasasu, luckygirl88 | B/W styled trainer Red/Leaf sprites
WolfPP | B/W styled trainer Leaf sprite
Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow), Damien, WolfPP | Gen 5 ball sprites
Sound Effects:
GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects
Other:
Luka S.J. | Elite Battle: DX
Pokémon Essentials | Base system
Maruno, Marin, Golisopod User | General help, support, and bouncing off ideas
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
Golisopod User<s>Rataime
help-14<s>Savordez
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Last edited:

NocTurn

Hoothoot enthusiast
Hey, just an FYI! I notice you're missing credits for the Drashimi fakemon line. If you could just insert Princess Phoenix in for that, and not just for the tiles, that would be appreciated :D

Reactions: Ned

Ned

[Enter Custom Title Here]
Hey, just an FYI! I notice you're missing credits for the Drashimi fakemon line. If you could just insert Princess Phoenix in for that, and not just for the tiles, that would be appreciated :D
Oh damn, in all the rush to get the game in on time I totally forgot to put that down, I'll definitely get on that ASAP. Thanks for letting me know! :)

NocTurn

Hoothoot enthusiast
Yeah, I checked this one out. Can't reccomend it. It's missing music completely, the battler sprites aren't sized properly and some of them are even missing, and the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry man :(

Ned

[Enter Custom Title Here]
Yeah, I checked this one out. Can't reccomend it. It's missing music completely, the battler sprites aren't sized properly and some of them are even missing, and the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry man :(
Firstly, I'm aware this isn't a great game, I rushed it completely and even stated that in my thread. But I had really wanted to post something for people to play, and I had hoped at least some people would enjoy it to some extent. Secondly, I am aware of the flaws, I am currently trying to release a better version, with some of those things you very briefly mentioned, fixed. And lastly, I would really have appreciated it if you'd been more specific instead of just a "yea, it sucked this stuff is wrong" kind of response. (I'm aware that's not what you said, but that was the attitude I got from it) At least tell me where I went wrong in my 3 days that I had to finish it, and maybe aid me at least a little bit with how it could be improved.

NocTurn

Hoothoot enthusiast
Firstly, I'm aware this isn't a great game, I rushed it completely and even stated that in my thread. But I had really wanted to post something for people to play, and I had hoped at least some people would enjoy it to some extent. Secondly, I am aware of the flaws, I am currently trying to release a better version, with some of those things you very briefly mentioned, fixed. And lastly, I would really have appreciated it if you'd been more specific instead of just a "yea, it sucked this stuff is wrong" kind of response. (I'm aware that's not what you said, but that was the attitude I got from it) At least tell me where I went wrong in my 3 days that I had to finish it, and maybe aid me at least a little bit with how it could be improved.
I mean the game itself is fine, but it's just missing so much polish. And I guess that's a consequence of releasing a game in 3 days but... I mean, I wouldn't have made a game in that short amount of time really. That's where you "went wrong" I guess. If you're planning on fixing the issues though, I'm excited to give it a second try! :D

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
A beautiful-looking mini-collectathon with excellent mapping

Thoughts:
- the little hopping in and out of bed movement animation was awesome!

- tile choice is beautiful

- mapping is excellent, from what I've managed to play this jam, it seems to be the most organic, naturally mapped game I've played

- player hat color is a bit saturated, perhaps use a more washed out color that falls in line with the rest of the pallete?

- the implementation of the rejuvenation theme is a bit literal, but it's still fine as far as I'm concerned. Especially given the time you had

- tip-giving npc is a nice addition

- I am getting quite a bit of lag in northern garden. Unsure why. Tile animation? eg grass?

- northern garden hidden in grass diamond southeastern area has visible void

- diamond-resource exchanging guy in your house was a bit sudden. It'd be more fitting to either implement him in the story in some way, or have him appear later someplace else. Also, at least up until then, the player hasnt been given info regarding these resources or what they do/ are needed for. Also, since certain events activate the availability of those resources, how would it make sense for them to be available this way? Moreover, trading in the very same resource that is supposed to restore the land, to get some more sticks or pebbles etc doesn't make much sense!

- a Pawniard is a bit excessive for the early game, especially considering that Drashimi's ability will simply make Pawniard's attack rise to insane levels by taking hits

- "you scurry back to a pokemon center" plays upon loss, you can easily replace these messages with "home"

- I like the fact that you begin with a lot of balls.

- a Deino is also excessive for an early-route trainer. Sure, drashimi can learn twister, but still, you have to take into account a player with lower levels. This is usually taken for "artificial" difficulty, if your intent was to challenge the player. My strategy was to catch a high level mon from the northern route, before the black belt with deino, then go to the western route and get past pawniard. Also, are dragon mons ubiquitous because of the fairytale setting? if yes, then you should also have included some early fairies to help players and also tie-in with the themes

- a small mapping nitpick is the stone right next to the stairs leading to northern garden, I sometimes bumped into it because it was kinda in the way

- since you aren't using any music for most maps, and irregardless of whether this was due to not having enough time, you should have avoided making the game this humongous in file size. Even if you had to use, say, ten tracks, why would the file size be this huge? Unless you want to use a lot of music, (which you wouldnt really need to) then get the tracks over in audacity and export them with a lower bitrate

- i was told to collect wood but there's no wood to collect, why would a "wood wallet" be a prerequisite for that? Wait, it's a switch activation problem, the map didn't refresh and the wood wasn't obtainable until a connected map had been entered

- I think hawlucha on two different trainers in the same area is a bit much

- how would a hiker be able to "unlock terrain for you", I mean, I understand collectathon reward mentality and justifications, but couldn't he just say "WOW, LIKE, I DEFINITELY HEARD SOME KINDA LANDSLIDE HAPPENING FAR AWAY, COULD A CAVE ENTRANCE HAVE BEEN OPPENED"? It'd definitely be in the spirit of Banjo that way xD

- though the trick is obvious the 2nd time, some diamonds are well-hidden behind trees

- my wooper simply pawned his pawniards

- I think this game would benefit from EXP.SHARE

- The gathering aspect does not feel excessive

- wouldnt diamond collecting benefit from event touch and simply having a display of the current number of diamonds float above the player in real time upon gathering?

- Grandma wanting you to grab muschrooms actually SPAWNING those musrhooms post interaction is not a good design choice for collectathons! All materials should be available before such interactions since this forces the player to backtrack a lot, and hinders exploration which should have rewarded the player for finding them the first time around (also, since the game is open-world, this is doubly annoying for people who took a unique route only for them to have to backtrack again and again when they had already explored the place!)

- the game is really fun for having been made in such a short amount of time, I'd say finish the project someday, or even incorporate it into your next game which you said you'd focus on

- the game would massively benefit from repels, or very sparse encounters, since running around collecting is what you do most. Bonus points for easily craftable max repels. I debugged in some of them and it made the experience thrice as good for me

- wow, never expected a beldum there

- it's good that there's more than the required amount of mushrooms and perhaps other resources, helps with ensuring you don't waste too much time looking for that 1 thing you've missed

- where do you get cut? cause I never got it and I had only unlocked the third gate. The other gates letting me pass was a bug? alright looks like the guy you meet at the beginning actually gives you rewards for every 30 diamonds with them being cut and rock smash. Wasn't aware of that, did I miss something in the beginning?

- that last battle was unneeded for this type of game, consider nobody would have lvl 40 mons by the time they had reached the ending

- oooh so collecting the stones and the wood should also make the magical gateways open, I mean it makes sense, but I dont remember seeing their respective messages?

- finished with 76 gd

Bugs:
---MAJOR---

- Bugcatcher Liam throws an error preventing you from progressing further into shallow pathway!

- gate 3 old lady unlock event doesnt automatically tell you it's happened, and also happens each time you talk to her - ALSO, makes every other textbox after hers appear in the middle of the screen and transparent

Minor

- interior starting map has snapped edges, interiors by default shouldnt

- if you go south all the way right from your doorstep, you can see the void

- *retrieve, small typo

- most maps lack bgm

- lass shelia is a titan!

- shroomish floats

- applin has no battle sprite!

- black belt is also a titan!

- applin backsprite floats

- blitzle floating backsprite

- west route southern part black border

- no enter and exit SE

- picnicker katie is also a titan!

- schoolboy and preschooler has no trainer sprite

- fisherman is yet another titankin

- lotad's sprite is positioned too low (so you could say it's a.... Lowtad....ha...ha..)

- wooper is floaty also some mons are animated some arent, better keep one or the other

- ralts couldnt control its levitating powers and is suspsended a bit higher than expected

- wooper backsprite floats

- inexistent hawlucha battle sprite

- jogger has no trainer sprite

- you can jump ledges horizontally

- cave tile shadows are grey instead of transparent black

- western cave interior is also constricted by snapped edges

- cave fight with gangsta uses interior background

- western walkway to stardew lake westernmost side shows both a weird connected map and the void

Strong Suite: Mapping, Charm, Uniqueness, Graphics, Gameplay
Feel: Collectathon, Adventure

Last edited:

Sailorxraven

I exist!
I played it a little bit, and while I could tell it was rushed I could also tell there was quite a bit of talent in it.
Getting in and out of bed was great!
The maps were nicely done!
The general concept and ideas were good and would be better with some polish.
One of the first things this game would benefit from would probably be music. I noticed you have quite a few downloaded in the BGM folder, even if it's just as a placeholder some music can really change the feel of the area.
An EXP Share would be very nice.
The guy appearing in the house without warning threw me off a bit
It is super easy to get 10 diamonds before you're at a level where you can face the pokemon in the hilltop forest
A major one already mentioned: Bugcatcher Liam crashes the game

More minor ones:
2ab876dce45333b912b449b3fc34556f.png

There's some extra spacing between the trainers' type and names.
9d9b97f58a63e827ddb9431901324e6f.png
I'm not sure if it's intentional, but hilltop forest is listed as an indoor map so it's not affected by the time of the day.
2ad0fd5e8ea6653b7cef4f29bbf00eef.png

For example, this is the Northern garden only a minute later.

Admittedly, at this point, I've only gotten as far as to where the crash from bug catcher Liam occurred. I will play some more a bit later and update you with any more bugs I find.

Overall general takeaway from this is that it wasn't a bad idea, and you showed you definitely do have some skill. Mostly what the game needed was a bit more time and polish. I'd honestly say it's not bad for a only few days work.

Sailorxraven

I exist!
Finally got time to finish the game.
7a4bacef4db0889edd7297d367845a05.png

Hawlucha has no battle sprite
4923274e177a179bd8ddd074f70a180b.png

Applin is the same
393b9a42a28732fe24c5d30a0cd5fd69.png

Cut trees don't disappear fully
c5c2e315a00320ed532e4fd1b08de12a.png

Text appears floating in the middle of the screen after finishing the mushroom quest.
0f0877c3beb26a4ea82c71161bfad3c9.png

Kind of hard to tell what's going on, but I talked to him after beating the mushroom quest, but before getting the reward for 60 diamonds. However, he makes no mention of the 60 diamond reward. Perhaps I missed it?
Overall I stand by what I said earlier. It mostly just needs a bit of polish but overall isn't a bad game. Especially considering you decided to make it in the last 3 days.

Back