• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Discussion when did you get into pokemon

This thread invites discussion. Be respectful, but feel free to share your opinions.

nebby100

Novice
tell us when you got into pokemon
i got into pokemon back in mystery dungeon explores of time days it was my 1st pokemon game i got then i play peal and soul silver and black and white then x and y then omega ruby and sun and ultra sun then lets go eevee and sword so i been a part since the good old days

MegaMew47

Under the truck
First game was Fire Red. I played on the Game Boy Advance SP, with my brother, who would help me out with battles, and stuff like that. I wanna say I was around 7, ish?

Best story was spending hours catching Magikarp and training them into Gyarados because that was my brother's favorite mon. I had PC boxes full of Gyarados lool

Aw man when Pokemon first came to the US, everyone at school was obsessed with it and we weren't even old enough to be trainers yet. I didn't get to play untill gen 3 (finally old enough to go on a Pokemon journey!! 😄) but it was still really fun being able to keep pace in conversations with the gamers by only watching the TV show.

TheRedGenesect

Novice
I remember that I got introduced to pokemon through the anime (that's all we had in India!😄). Of course, slowly I became a pokemon fanatic and purchased every game my parents would allow me to. That anime is solid, tho. Anyways, I got into pokemon and here I am 16 years later, playing and developing games

Uax

Novice
I was 7 when pokemon red and blue came out in eu... didn't have a game boy and obviously neither the game but my cousins of the same age had and I still remember those 3 little kids watching that 2.6 inch screen at the same time and getting on a journey togheter after school nearly every day... eventually then my parents gift me the gameboy with pokemon yellow.. everyone at school had b/r/y and that was truly the golden era, internet was still young and there were no solutions online, everything was told mouth to mouth and legends were born!

nebby100

Novice
I was 7 when pokemon red and blue came out in eu... didn't have a game boy and obviously neither the game but my cousins of the same age had and I still remember those 3 little kids watching that 2.6 inch screen at the same time and getting on a journey togheter after school nearly every day... eventually then my parents gift me the gameboy with pokemon yellow.. everyone at school had b/r/y and that was truly the golden era, internet was still young and there were no solutions online, everything was told mouth to mouth and legends were born!
the good old legend of mew under the truck

WolfTaiko

Ex-Ace Gamer
I was introduced to Pokémon in that transition period between gen 5 and 6. The Unova age was ending and it was going into the Kalos age. I was shown using Pokémon Emerald by my brother, he regrets that now, and the first game I played was Pokémon X. I had no friends at the time who liked Pokémon but Pokémon has helped me make friends.

KrisNightmare

rowlet
I got into Pokemon in around 2015 after exposure from my friends about it, and I used to play those mobile games they had and watched the anime till I got Pokemon Sun and Moon for Christmas in 2016, and since then I've played all the 3d games and the virtual console games along with R/S/E.

Leondrea

Trainer
I've got into Pokémon, when I was 6 years old. I watched the anime in the tv and I asked my older brother, what Pokémon means, because I didn't knew what it was. Then he told me that Pokémon were those animals / monsters and those characters with big eyes were the people. And I got immediately passionated with Pokémon. I was in Pokémon Hype with my brothers. But then when they grew up, they had other hobbies and they didn't care anymore for Pokémon but I was and I am still in love with Pokémon, its my passion.

My first Pokémon game was Pokémon Silver, then Pokémon Red, and Pokémon Crystal. My other brother played Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Gold and Ruby and I played Sapphire. Then he got into Playstation, Xbox and other console games and he never played Pokémon again. I don't know if it was because he didn't like anymore or if it was because of his friendships... But I never changed myself for anyone, I've played always Pokémon one version of every Pokémon Game till now and I am still playing Pokémon Sword + Extension Pass. And I absolutely love it. I know Game Freak makes many many errors when they're making the games, but just think about it, if you would make those games, without knowing anything about Game Development, wouldn't your games look more terrible then theirs? I think Sword and Shield was made out of rush. They had a date where they had to publish these games, and they had no time to do it properly. So that's why Hop has the same movements like the one from S/M/USUM and the Pokémon too. And they did a looot of errors in the game. I've played through the game and I finished the story and the end story now next I'm going to play the extension pass.

If GF would have more time to work on this games, they could have done the games look better and work better. But yeah I don't know who of them decides, if its Nintendo or the Pokémon Company that wants that the games are published for a certain date. That's bad actually. I think they should have more time to do it. So I first played the games because I watched an episode of Pokémon but I know that the games are older than the anime, and thats good as it is.

Sploopo

get real
Randomly got Moon as a gift around five years ago. Have been playing since.

Lex

Rookie
Almost the same here! Pokémon yellow was my first game and I got it bundled with a green Gameboy Color.

Reactions: Uax

Hexcalliber

Cooltrainer
i live in Vietnam and gameboy and game consol or pretty rare here even if ur rich. Most if not all the gamer in Vietnam plays exclusively on PC and only plays like LOL and CS:GO. so though i grew up with pokemon, i never play an official pokemon game and my knoledge of them are from youtube videos. The key word being official, Around late 2019 - early 2020 i tried download some pokemon fan games like Uranium, insergence, Fire Ash and only then do i get to experince my first time playing a pokemon game.

LeoWolfish

Rookie
When Pokémon Blue first came to the UK, I got it for Christmas from my great Nan along with a yellow cased Gameboy. Gen 3 was my favourite for the longest time though.

Pokemaniac Zaheer

Novice
Since i was a kid, i used to watch Pokemon Anime later one of my friends introduced me to Pokemon Games like FireRed, since then life's been amazing 🤍

Rashi

The Bird Keeper
I am from India and Nintendo isn't here. Pokemon is mainly known here for anime. I just got into it through it just by knowing the anime. Playing old ones through emulators.

Personally, on 2019, I had been dealing with stress. So I thought of coming into something I loved when I was younger. And it was watching pokemon anime (I had lost interest in it somehow).

So I watched the Hoenn seasons. Because being too attached into it since then, I got to know about the games. This way I played my first game which was FireRed. I loved the music, picking your favorite, trying out new pokemons and do things you want.
As long as, I remember I finished it in 1 month. After that, I started HGSS, and it was like a magical experience which is also my favorite part of the series.

Pokemon had changed me a lot after that. It made me feel better and positive as if it were a warm blanket. If I never knew Pokemon, my life would be very different. And I even count 2019 as my favourite year (Not just because of Pokemon, there are actually lots of things surprisingly happened good like getting good friends, getting good grades, etc).

Just being thankful for what it has given to me, I have became a fan for it :)

Last edited:

Cibryll

The Aeonian Twilight
I've been a fan of Pokémon since before I can remember, haha. I was pretty young, though all I had was the anime (and tazos). I didn't even know about the games until about late-March in 2011.

Back