• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Project Maple - A Canadian Pokémon Fangame [Part 1 - v1.3.3b]

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
ETA Next Version
Jun 1, 2024
Game Logo

-Project Maple-

Around a century ago, people from other regions started immigrating to the land of Adanac, only inhabited by its Pokémon and the natives of the region, who were living in harmony with the abundant nature and energy flowing around them. A land that was once protected by its people and Pokémon, some even rising to the ranks of Guardian through the flowing Maple Energy, was now being rapidly populated by settlers of other regions, alongside their modern ideals. The land of Adanac was split into ten districts, and while some were able to accept the change, corruption was also born as a result of the clashing values, bringing forth the Beasts upon the region.

At the rise of it all, you, the player, arrive to Adanac, hoping for a better future by seeking lower expenses, coming from the region of Unova. While your goal may be simple, and your intentions the same as anyone living in Adanac, peace, you will find yourself amidst the turning tides of this clash of forces.

Will you take part in it? Whose side will you be on? How will you decide what is best for you when such a colourful world is in reality grey, and much more sinister at its core?

-Click to Download on Website-

Download link on the website page. Feel free to share the website around, but please be mindful not to directly share the download link or files.
Redirecting newcomers to the main hub allows for the download links to always be up-to-date and ensures much cleaner quality control and an optimal player experience, while introducing people to my other projects as well. If it's your first time here, welcome! Please take a moment to look through my history of creations. Project Maple's development is usually livestreamed weekly on Twitch, which you can check out by using the links below too!

-About the Game-

Project Maple is a Pokémon Fangame inspired by the ten provinces of Canada. While it is greatly inspired by the works of GAME FREAK and co., its vision aims to deliver a unique spin on the series through a much more fleshed out story and slower pacing. As such, Part 1 sets the groundwork for future installments by subtly introducing most key aspects of the game and some important choices, from which the repercussions may only be felt later. The game also differs in many other ways from the traditional formula.

In this game, you are NOT the protagonist. While your role gradually gains importance, the world doesn't turn entirely at your convenience. Few trainers wait aimlessly on routes for your arrival; most have a purpose, and among those who don't, some may later leave their position. A choice of starter Pokémon is not handed to you. Evil Teams don't wait for you to progress to train their Pokémon. While the divergence isn't extreme from a main series game, the shift is gradual and hopefully refreshing.

Part 1 is around 3-5 hours of gameplay. In the beautiful region of Adanac, you will walk through a diverse environment and meet many characters that will influence the flow of the story from many different perspectives. If you're looking to avoid grimdark or overly light stories, you might be pleased to find that Project Maple fits nicely in-between, offering a very rich and vibrant world at peace on the outside, but influenced by harder themes at its core, and some very sinister entities. Similarly to other works of mine, morality is more often left as grey, rather than pushed to an extreme. With many of the game's choices and less linear story, it'll be up to the player to decide what's right or wrong.

Part 2 of the game is being steadily developed. It will expand the game from one district to three districts, adding both Princeward and Novus, basically tripling the game's content. You will be exposed to the Guardians and the Beasts for the first time and encounter part of Team Scorch and Team Frostbite. Two more gym badges will be obtainable and between 15-25% of the game should be done by then, although that remains a loose estimate for the time being, just like its release date. Check back here for an updated changelog and new releases over time.

A lot of emphasis was put on the feel of the game, even remaking the game entirely in a past version with a complete tileset overhaul. In Adanac, Pokémon typically found through the first five generations walk among the abundant trees and rivers, in addition to new species of Pokémon scattered sporadically throughout the region.
So what are you waiting for? Professor Juniper's readied your passport already, so all that's left is to cross the frontier to Adanac!

Join the Project Maple Discord Server!
Follow for Weekly Twitch Development Streams

-About the Creator-

As an avid storyteller, I, C.Mea, have explored many different stories over the past decade, some of which later became major projects in my life. Notably, an animation project that began in 2012 still receives around 85% of my creative energy to this date, but is set to conclude in late 2021. X Fighters! has been an important journey personally, but it's an important mention here as it is the driving reason for Project Maple's slower development pace, among many other undertakings. I expect that Project Maple will receive a bit more attention in the next chapter of my life, but I have no current plans to work on it full-time. It may also never be completed, although my motivation remains high, so I am pushing to expand the game as much as possible. Feel free to support my other creative endeavors through the various links below. Thank you very much for reading this!

C.MeaX - Main YT Channel
TeaMea - Skit YT Channel
Twitter - Random Updates
MeaFamily - Discord Server

-Screenshots-

MapleScreenshot.png

-Meet the Mascots-

MoopleBig.png

Moople
The leaf on its back is said to taste very sweet. Its exact origins are currently unknown. It is rare even in its home region, but sightings of Moople have recently increased in the Brown District, blocking roads near maple trees. A few people have commented on its existence following your first encounter with it. It seems it might have a deeper connection to the land, and great latent potential. Could it have something to do with its evolutions?
BigbarelBig.png

Bigbarel
Bibarel's evolution, one of the 10 Guardians of the land of Adanac, and protector of one of its districts. As a Guardian, Bigbarel is one of the very few pre-existing Pokémon that, when the land needed it most, was able to surpass its limits and reach a new stage with the help of the region's abundant flow of Maple Energy. Its stronger connection to the natives of the land must have been key in unlocking this power, most likely as a token of its gratitude towards the Adanacians whom had been worshipping beavers centuries ago. Bigbarel possesses immense physical strength, but is equally kind.

-Features-

➤ A Rich, Less Linear Story With Branching Paths (3-5 hours of gameplay so far)
➤ Gens 1-5, Plus Over 100 New Pokémon (8 obtainable so far)
➤ 10 Gym Badges (1 obtainable so far)
➤ 10 Mini-Regions Known as Districts (1 playable so far)
➤ A Unique Tileset for Each District​
➤ New Abilities and Moves
➤ Three Save Files (code and animation by Marin, graphics by C.Mea)
➤ Key Items to Replace Select HMs and Remove Some Obstacles Forever
➤ An Internal Morality Compass
➤ Pokémon Essentials v17.2 & Elite Battle System​

-Changelog-

[1.3.3b] June 27th, 2021
-Updated Gadjett's trainer sprite when rematching

[1.3.3] June 27th, 2021
-Minor text fixes
-Fixed all cliff edge tiles in Part 1 maps to update to Part 2 mapping standards
-Fixed passability on some cliff edge tiles

[1.3.2] June 26th, 2021
-Infinite money glitch fixed
-Minor map fixes
-Trainer Joltik in Brown Forest reduced by 1 level
-Fixed current ending of the game
-Futureproofed Part 2 related events

[1.3.1] June 22nd, 2021
-Credits crash fixed
-Added option to teleport back to forest entrance after ForestGirlHelped
-Reduced Deerling encounter rate for New Monten City daytime
-Cliff in forest - minor text fix
-Running shoes man - minor text fix
-Minor tileset fixes

[1.3.0] June 9th, 2021
-PokéDex crash was fixed
-Deerling was properly added, forms were fixed
-Monten player tileset trap was fixed
-Knock Off/Covet were fixed
-Slot machine crash was fixed
-Tileset fixes
-Minor text fixes, dialogue improvements
-Forest girl and Cliff no longer should remain stuck on screen after interacting with player
-Added title screen and game logo
-Added Kracket Beach
-Added Whirleaf evolution line

[1.2.1] September 23rd, 2019
-Text fixes
-Map fixes
-Event fixes
-Difficulty rebalance

[1.2.0] September 2nd, 2019
-This version completely remakes the game in its own style, being wildly different from 1.1.0
-New tilesets
-New sprites
-New maps
-New areas
-New items
-New NPCs
-More mysteries
-More content
-Fixes everywhere
-Three save files

[1.1.0] December 22nd, 2018
-Party icon sprites added
-Lasting weather effects fixed
-Added plot surrounding Moople's encounter
-Extension to current Route 1
-Bonsly now obtainable in Brown Forest
-Added optional trainer in Brown Forest
-Added NPC giving Poké Balls
-Added NPC giving Rare Candy
-Wild Pokémon Levels in Route 1 adjusted
-Doyle changed to Bug Catcher, reducing AI and IVs
-Doyle's Chikorita set to HA to remove Overgrow damage
-Minor text fixes
-Minor tileset fixes
-Minor event fixes
-Minor dialogue changes

[1.0.1] November 11th, 2018
-Lamp post lighting and shadows removed to reduce lag
-Minor text fixes
-NPC added on Route 1
-Running from Nidoran is now prevented
-Gadjett will fight you until he is beaten

[1.0.0] November 11th, 2018
-Part 1 officially released for beta testing

[0.0.0] January 1st, 2018
-Development began
-Credits-

PROJECT MAPLE

A non-lucrative Pokémon fangame

Created by C.Mea

And inspired by the works of Game Freak

Additional Help

Mapping: Design3D

Coding/Spriting: Kaividian

Interface Scripting: Marin

Lead Composer: Raushna

Extra Music: LordViro64

Bug Fixes: Tactician_Walt, peoplez

Encounters: Gamer7256

Game Logo: Purrdemonium

Art: MCRenotsu

Minor Help/Ideas

Legna K, Lymnus, ArashiYT, Isiah12

Additional Ressources

Scripts: Luka_SJ, Marin, juliorain, Vendily, Rot8er_ConeX

Tiles: Zein Wah, spherical-ice

Overworld Sprites: Coronis, princess-phoenix

Trainer Sprites: RaShaw

And massive thanks to all the fans!

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Last edited:

0maeWaM0uShindeiru

Novice
You likely know me as theknightedexaltion on the Project Maple Discord, but hello there. The game is still enjoyable thus far, and I would even say the difficulty is reasonable all things considered. I look forward to all future updates, and here is to the bright future of Project Maple.

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
You likely know me as theknightedexaltion on the Project Maple Discord, but hello there. The game is still enjoyable thus far, and I would even say the difficulty is reasonable all things considered. I look forward to all future updates, and here is to the bright future of Project Maple.
Thank you very much for the comment and for letting me know of your other name, glad to see you here. I hope I can keep going like this and eventually release Part 2 the same way :) The review is much appreciated!

16Gabs

Trainer
I've been playing and liking it =)
I'll post a full review after I'm finished and also gonna join the discord
What I love most about fan games is the presence of fakemons so this is right up my alley.
Take care =)

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
I've been playing and liking it =)
I'll post a full review after I'm finished and also gonna join the discord
What I love most about fan games is the presence of fakemons so this is right up my alley.
Take care =)
Thank you! I've preferred to not oversaturate the game with new species but as more are designed they will be sprinkled here and there throughout the game, which hopefully gives people a chance to remember their names and get familiar with them. I'm glad you're enjoying the game so far, and I'm certainly looking forward to a full review once you reach the end of the demo! :)

16Gabs

Trainer
I said I was gonna do a review once I finished it, so here I am =)

I really liked there were more Fakemon, as that's what I like most in fan games. Also, their designs are really good.
I just have Moople, Marshquito/Junquito and Whirleaf/Maplift.
Is it possible / will it be possible to get Yukoro and Indigenapu?

"A choice of starter Pokémon is not handed to you." - I thought this was strange, because the game says "Who knows how long until a trainer comes", which indicates if you wait enough you'll get another poke. I'd suggest rewritting it to something more "Better catch it, (...) comes".

About the moral system: I like it; but it seens that are still a lot of decisions you don't make, like
becoming a part of Team Scorch, breaking into the lighthouse, finding the girl's doll, etc
Also, I got really frustated that by the end of the demo there was no other
running shoes!
; this means I played the whole thing in a slower pace and really bummed me out. There were times when I decided not to play the game because of the little time I had I knew I would be able to do much =/

I understand you want to give the feel of a "slower pacing" (and some people will like it), but I still believe a speed up button is always the best option, as it gives the player the choice of how to play the game.

About the difficulty: it's really good! It felt balanced all the time I was playing; from the Indigenapu encounter, Inspector Gadjet reference, the Battle Lounge and the Gym Leader. Nothing but praise here. =)

About the HMs: it's such a good ideia that you remove the obstacles forever. It really makes no sense to have to use "Cut" again and again. =)

Overall: it's a really good game =)
I see lots of potencial and will be waiting for the next updates and stuff ^^
Take care!

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
I said I was gonna do a review once I finished it, so here I am =)

I really liked there were more Fakemon, as that's what I like most in fan games. Also, their designs are really good.
I just have Moople, Marshquito/Junquito and Whirleaf/Maplift.
Is it possible / will it be possible to get Yukoro and Indigenapu?

"A choice of starter Pokémon is not handed to you." - I thought this was strange, because the game says "Who knows how long until a trainer comes", which indicates if you wait enough you'll get another poke. I'd suggest rewritting it to something more "Better catch it, (...) comes".

About the moral system: I like it; but it seens that are still a lot of decisions you don't make, like
becoming a part of Team Scorch, breaking into the lighthouse, finding the girl's doll, etc
Also, I got really frustated that by the end of the demo there was no other
running shoes!
; this means I played the whole thing in a slower pace and really bummed me out. There were times when I decided not to play the game because of the little time I had I knew I would be able to do much =/

I understand you want to give the feel of a "slower pacing" (and some people will like it), but I still believe a speed up button is always the best option, as it gives the player the choice of how to play the game.

About the difficulty: it's really good! It felt balanced all the time I was playing; from the Indigenapu encounter, Inspector Gadjet reference, the Battle Lounge and the Gym Leader. Nothing but praise here. =)

About the HMs: it's such a good ideia that you remove the obstacles forever. It really makes no sense to have to use "Cut" again and again. =)

Overall: it's a really good game =)
I see lots of potencial and will be waiting for the next updates and stuff ^^
Take care!
Thanks a lot for the review! I think you mentioned some great points and I'm very pleased to see the difficulty balance being praised. It was certainly a mess in previous versions of the game. My goal is to have a game much less hardcore than Pokémon Reborn but a little more difficult than Pokémon BW2's Hard Mode, where it's not uncommon to lose against a trainer but typically a second go at it would be a victorious battle.

So far only 8 new Pokémon are obtainable.
The last two Pokémon you can obtain in this demo include Marshquito's female evolution and Maplift's evolution (level 32 if I recall). Yukoro and Indigenapu are not yet obtainable but will be later. Yukoro is typically found in cooler climates and Indigenapu (as well as many other native Pokémon) will be generally restricted to areas in or close to reserves. The encounter in the forest is meant to be an early introduction to that aspect of the game, but I hope to develop it further later.

As for morality:
Unfortunately, there aren't many choices in this part of the game, so it is a bit bizarre for me to advertise the feature this much already. As I mentioned in my original RC post, most choices and consequences based on those choices exist starting from Part 2. I may very well add other choices to Part 1 or improve some of the plot points to feel less convenient (the Car Key is a good example, originally it was just a plot device found in the forest for your convenience, but having Cliff later mention that he actually drops them on purpose near new trainers, and that you are the only person to have failed his puzzle makes it more realistic and counters a bit of the Deus Ex Machina feel the item drop might have had at first. This was a much later change, so in a similar way some other plot points might get later improvements.

Most choices will still remain for Part 2 onwards. This is because having most key choices be optional in Part 1 would make the game branch too much, so as much as I find the beginning of the game not as exciting as future prospects, the linearity helps reduce itself over time. For example, there's a part of the story where a corrupt mayor can be brought to justice in Part 2, but this can branch in a few ways depending on your relationship with the law, and how many times you've stolen up until then. The first really "big" choice is which district becomes your second and third, so I hope for it to impact how the game branches a lot more than the "insignificant" choices of Part 1. Maybe someday it'll be possible to decline the Moople and other things too, but I can't make a promise there yet :)

I feel you on the Running Shoes. I was originally going to have them be in one of the two upcoming districts, but I think I'll make a branching path so that no matter which district is chosen as your second, an option to acquire "legal" Running Shoes presents itself, with some long-lasting benefits too, like a promotional permanent Poké Mart discount or something else along that line.

Thanks for the note on HMs! It really never made sense to me, especially the one by Lt. Surge's Gym, so this small detail also means you don't need to keep wasting your time with them or have an HM slave on you, even if that's not really a possibility at the moment.

So far, I think the list of newer versions of the game/added features might go like this:
-Port everything to v19 (or v20 if we're so slow a new version comes out, but essentially be "up-to-date" which allows us to add new features)
-Add controller support
-Add other features like mid-battle dialogue etc.

While the coding revamps itself and new features are added, I will keep livestreaming the game's progress ~weekly on Twitch as I keep working on building Part 2, which is pretty large compared to Part 1. I don't have a release date estimate in mind, but so long as I keep working on it, it'll be public someday. I like revising events and improving things where possible, so I might play on your feedback at some point! Thanks a ton for the detailed review, it's super appreciated!

Terrayoung

Rookie
Just finished this demo and I really like it thus far! It's got a unique concept and some really interesting characters. The only downside is that there is way too many Bidoof that show up as wild Pokemon encounters, but I'm not a fan of Bidoof in general so that's more of a personal bias. Overall, a really fun game that ended too soon - can't wait for part 2!

PokemonGamer2000

Trainer
hi, your game seems really interesting, just curious, is there a speed up button or any plans to make one? that's a great thing in fan games.

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
Curious if this is still being worked on :-)
Hi there jdm, and thank you very much for the comment! This is definitely still being worked on, although unfortunately at a snail's pace. Development picked up a little bit over the summer but most of it is behind the scenes, as we're reworking the code to update to v20 of Pokémon Essentials and be "up to date". In the meantime, I'm still developing the new districts but as other projects take precedence this only manages to get my attention once in a while. I'm just as motivated for it though, so even years later I'd say that's a good sign.

If you want more updates, the Discord server will be where I'm quickest to answer questions, and whenever I do get to put any dev time into the game, that's always streamed on Twitch :) Anyway, my apologies for the late reply, it's been a busy past few months. I anticipate I'll have more flexible time to progress with the game coming next summer, at least.

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
Just finished this demo and I really like it thus far! It's got a unique concept and some really interesting characters. The only downside is that there is way too many Bidoof that show up as wild Pokemon encounters, but I'm not a fan of Bidoof in general so that's more of a personal bias. Overall, a really fun game that ended too soon - can't wait for part 2!
Hi! Thank you so much, I appreciate!

There are no immediate plans for a speed-up button, but once we upgrade the game to v20 of Essentials and bring the game up to date, I'd like to implement a speed-up button for battles at least, eventually. While I admit the early game is pretty slow, I'm less keen on a speed-up button for the general environment because I do want it to be experienced at a certain pace. In the next version, however, there are 1-2 "skips" to save time in the early game, and with the game being more open-ended later it will be easier to move through it at your own pace, although that might increase the difficulty as a result. For example, there is a pretty slow lighthouse part of the early game that will be skippable as of the next version, if the player goes through a branching path of the story for a bit.

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
Thank you very much!

I appreciate the feedback. The Bidoof are somewhat due to there being fewer native species around in the mix (for now), but they are less present in other parts of the region. I agree that they can be overwhelmingly present at times. The development is still rather slow, but I hope to get back into it when I get more time again. There are some new things ready for Part 1 for when we upgrade to Essentials v20, but beyond that I'm still working on Part 2, which would almost triple the game's content :) I'm glad you liked the characters. I hope to make them even better in the future!

safr

Elite Trainer
I don't know you're still exist in the forum or not but thank to you now i feel the next pokemon game can be inspired from Canada as new region

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
I don't know you're still exist in the forum or not but thank to you now i feel the next pokemon game can be inspired from Canada as new region
Hey there! I'm definitely still on the forum, but only occasionally :)

I am crossing my fingers that it's not the case though (I want Maple to get further along before all my ideas are taken). I could see Canada working as a region eventually but I'm not sure how Game Freak would take it now, as I don't think it's a country that really fits their type of game. I could be surprised though, but I don't see them being able to handle the country well unless they base some of the lore on the actual history of the country with some of the more unfortunate events, as otherwise it's more of a less-dense United States with more snow and ice. I could be wrong, but I think we might see India in the next few generations. A return to Japan is really possible too.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
Liked and Watching this, downloaded the demo, will have to get around to playing it, but i definitely see this being in my fangame collection.

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
Liked and Watching this, downloaded the demo, will have to get around to playing it, but i definitely see this being in my fangame collection.
Thank you very much! I really look forward to getting back into development for this game once I clear up my schedule some more. It should pick back up in mid-spring. I hope to be able to push the game further from there!

C.MeaX

Project Maple Developer
how is development?
Hey there! It's going well! Sorry for the late reply. Development has really sped up in recent times and we're making good progress to porting the game over to Pokémon Essentials v21.1, a big upgrade over using 17.2 that did require us to re-code most of the game, but in doing so the new build is running more efficiently and will now be futureproof with being easier to code around when adding new features.

The main page of the game swapped from here to having its own website page now: https://shuhari.productions/project-maple
I will keep this page updated too as things progress. Right now we'll looking more at a spring release for the next version, but this is the most realistic estimate I've been able to give in a long time so I'm really happy with the project moving along again. Thanks a lot for asking!

Back