• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Modern Quest System + UI

Resource Modern Quest System + UI 1.1.0

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
This plugin looks really good and meets my really specific design interests, but I've looked and found it to be missing oen thing I think would make it be useful compared to most other Quest UIs; would there be a way to modify the Quest Description field to support multiple stages as well? Like, have it so the most recent description shows up above the second most recent, and so on and such forth, until it goes all the way back to the first stage. An example of this can be seen in Final Fantasy XIV's Quest Interface where it does this when you reach the next part of a quest.
In theory, that is possible. The getStageDescription method is already used to show the current stage's description, so it would just be a matter of looping over all previous stages. As for displaying the descriptions of all previous stages, that would need some work. If a quest has lots of stages, I think a scrolling window, using class Window_DrawableCommand, would be used. Would a third page for a particular quest's summary, therefore, be needed? I'm not sure, I'm just thinking and typing. 😄
Do you have a mock-up of how you imagine this looking?

DerxwnaKapsyla

Overseer of the Abyss
In theory, that is possible. The getStageDescription method is already used to show the current stage's description, so it would just be a matter of looping over all previous stages. As for displaying the descriptions of all previous stages, that would need some work. If a quest has lots of stages, I think a scrolling window, using class Window_DrawableCommand, would be used. Would a third page for a particular quest's summary, therefore, be needed? I'm not sure, I'm just thinking and typing. 😄
Do you have a mock-up of how you imagine this looking?
I don't have a visual mock-up off hand! However, I can kind of describe what I'm envisioning, and it's roughly the same as what you implied; the window would need to scroll down to accommodate updates to the description field for each stage. There would probably be an arrow to indicate whether or not the page can scroll up or down- actually, I can try and make a mockup of how I envision the description screen looking.

This is an extremely rough mockup, but this is basically what I envision; there'd be a "Previously" field that would fill itself with the former Overviews (in Ascending/Descending order, depends on preference) once a new stage was reached (If the field for QuestDescription2, QuestDescription3, etc was filled out, otherwise it wouldn't change at all from normal).

Admittedly, I'm not sure what the purpose of a third page would serve, unless the idea was to have a summary of the quest be on page 1, and have the updating story of a quest be on Page 3, which I could see working.

I do have one other suggestion though, and that's involved with the Task and Location field; some of the vanilla examples have the Task field taking up both lines, and as a result it overlaps with the Location field; It may be a good idea to move the location field to the second page, underneath or above the Reward field, as there's open space there.

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
I don't have a visual mock-up off hand! However, I can kind of describe what I'm envisioning, and it's roughly the same as what you implied; the window would need to scroll down to accommodate updates to the description field for each stage. There would probably be an arrow to indicate whether or not the page can scroll up or down- actually, I can try and make a mockup of how I envision the description screen looking.

This is an extremely rough mockup, but this is basically what I envision; there'd be a "Previously" field that would fill itself with the former Overviews (in Ascending/Descending order, depends on preference) once a new stage was reached (If the field for QuestDescription2, QuestDescription3, etc was filled out, otherwise it wouldn't change at all from normal).

Admittedly, I'm not sure what the purpose of a third page would serve, unless the idea was to have a summary of the quest be on page 1, and have the updating story of a quest be on Page 3, which I could see working.

I do have one other suggestion though, and that's involved with the Task and Location field; some of the vanilla examples have the Task field taking up both lines, and as a result it overlaps with the Location field; It may be a good idea to move the location field to the second page, underneath or above the Reward field, as there's open space there.

Hmm, I quite like that actually. I'm not really sure how to code that off the top of my head. I could look into it after jam judging is done, I think.

As for the location field being moved, you should just need to find where in the code that text is drawn and move it. I can help with that if needed.

DerxwnaKapsyla

Overseer of the Abyss
Hmm, I quite like that actually. I'm not really sure how to code that off the top of my head. I could look into it after jam judging is done, I think.

As for the location field being moved, you should just need to find where in the code that text is drawn and move it. I can help with that if needed.
I've actually got the Location field moved on my own copy; it wasn't that hard, I just needed to move the questStageLocation stuff down to the second page area

DeltaZ

Novice
Can I do collect tasks with this Quest System? E.g. collect 10 Pokeballs

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Can I do collect tasks with this Quest System? E.g. collect 10 Pokeballs
Yes! Assuming you have 10 events each giving one Pokéball, you could have a game variable increase by 1 for each item collected by the player. Then, have a separate event check for when the game variable reaches 10 (i.e. 10 Pokéballs collected) that advances the quest to the next stage or outright completes the quest. I hope that makes sense!

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Thank you for your reponse. How do I set it up?
Sorry for the slow reply. Here's an example of what you could do (there are other, maybe better, ways).
This is what your Pokéball item event might look like (note the second line that adds 1 to a variable):
example_1.png
Then, you could have a separate event that checks when that variable reaches 10 (i.e. the player has collected 10 of these Pokéballs), and when it does the relevant quest is advanced to the next stage:
example_2.png
I hope that helps!

kallisto

Rookie
I'm trying to have one of the stages of a quest display what's stored in a variable like this:
:Stage2 => "Find the #{pbGet(77)}."
but it keeps displaying "Find the 0." even after game variable 77 has already been defined.

I'm assuming this is because quests are set up as constants. Is there a way to store quests as variables instead of constants so that the data stored can change whenever being read (e.g. get data without using const_get)? Or is there any other solution to be able to store variable data in quest descriptions?

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
For your first question, converting the whole system is a bit beyond me honestly.
For your second question, I think I did something similar with one of the helper functions relating to stages. Have a look in the scripts for that. I think I had to do something like "Stage" + some_variable, maybe with a "to_s" in there.

SiriusLeeNott

Rookie
This is such a great plugin, and I'm really excited to play with it. However I have a problem. I went into 004_Quest_Data.rb and changed the name and description of the Quest1 (which as an example is Introduction) with Notepad++ and saved it. But when I add the quest in an event and go to check it in game, it is still called "Introduction" with the sample description. I've compiled my game, and made sure I don't have duplicate Quest_Data files, but it still shows up as the sample.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? (I'm sure there's a super easy explanation :( )

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
This is such a great plugin, and I'm really excited to play with it. However I have a problem. I went into 004_Quest_Data.rb and changed the name and description of the Quest1 (which as an example is Introduction) with Notepad++ and saved it. But when I add the quest in an event and go to check it in game, it is still called "Introduction" with the sample description. I've compiled my game, and made sure I don't have duplicate Quest_Data files, but it still shows up as the sample.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? (I'm sure there's a super easy explanation :( )
You might need to start a new save (click "New Game" from the load screen).

SiriusLeeNott

Rookie
You might need to start a new save (click "New Game" from the load screen).
I've tried that multiple times yesterday, and it didn't work. But today when I tried again, it's working for some reason, and I have no idea what I did. But thank you for your help! :D

MakerBlack

Trainer
How do I rewrite a save to add its working system, without having to start a save file from scratch?

I have a game with very advanced players and they wouldn't want to start from scratch, can you help me?

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
How do I rewrite a save to add its working system, without having to start a save file from scratch?

I have a game with very advanced players and they wouldn't want to start from scratch, can you help me?
Ah yes, that's a limitation of the current system, unfortunately. I think there could be a way to get it to work with existing saves but I don't know how.
You could try asking Yumil if their quest system works with existing saves: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/820/
Good luck!

Izanagi

Developer of Pokémon Stars
Hello there. Sorry for asking but could you tell me if there is an easy way to sort the quest list by story quests and non story quests. I've tried sort functions but i'm not too knowledgable when it comes to data types and scripting so i couldn't really figure it out by myself. Could you help me?

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Hello there. Sorry for asking but could you tell me if there is an easy way to sort the quest list by story quests and non story quests. I've tried sort functions but i'm not too knowledgable when it comes to data types and scripting so i couldn't really figure it out by myself. Could you help me?
Hello! I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but it sounds like it's just sorting an array. I'll give this a go and get back to you. If I haven't replied within a week, feel free to give me a nudge.

Back