• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Ultimate Move Tutor

Resource Ultimate Move Tutor 1.0

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
the script wasn't made with zud plugin so maybe gmax moves are coded differently. But even if there are moves that don't exist in your game, it shouldn't crash. For the banlist, when you changed it, did you set your variable 35 back to 0? because actually, it sees an empty thing instead of your banlist.
[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
[v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.7]

Script error in event 33 (coords 12,10), map 22 (Beta Test Zone)
Exception: SystemStackError

***Full script:
pbChoosePokemon(1, 3, proc{ |pkmn|
can_learn_move(pkmn)
}, true
)

Backtrace:
015:Validation:18:in `block (2 levels) in validate'
015:Validation:18:in `any?'
015:Validation:18:in `block in validate'
015:Validation:16:in `each'
015:Validation:16:in `map'
015:Validation:16:in `validate'
103:GameData:92:in `get'
132:Species:286:in `get_baby_species'

I tried turning the blacklist switch on and off. No effect. Whether it's on or off, telling the NPC to teach me a move will fade out, fade in, and show the error message.

Another "Stack level too deep" code also happens when I tell the Battle Tower NPC to make new battlers. Is this a problem with Essentials?

grogro

Cooltrainer
Battle tower things are broken yeah. But the move tutor thing worked fine for me on a vanilla essentials so...

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
Battle tower things are broken yeah. But the move tutor thing worked fine for me on a vanilla essentials so...
Are battle tower things really broken by default? Hasn't anyone figured out how to fix them?

I really have no idea what the error message I get when I talk to the move tutor means. But it seems like the same error I get when using the battle tower.

grogro

Cooltrainer
The only thing I can do is removing Zmoves/Gmaxmoves by default in my next update, and see if I have a problem with ZUD. But sadly, I can't fix an error that I can't reproduce.

grogro

Cooltrainer
Are battle tower things really broken by default? Hasn't anyone figured out how to fix them?

I really have no idea what the error message I get when I talk to the move tutor means. But it seems like the same error I get when using the battle tower.
I added an example map in the download link, test if it works there

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
I added an example map in the download link, test if it works there
"Unexpected file format" is the error Pokemon Essentials/RPG Maker XP gives me when I try to load your example map, and the blacklist doesn't stop Z-Moves or Gigantimax signature moves from showing up.

Can you write the code in
Code:
  [code ] these [ /code]
?

grogro

Cooltrainer
it was litterally what I put in the overview page. If you want to put the example map in your project, you need to create a new map, take its ID, then replace the corresponding map file in the data folder by the example map.
But I tested the script on a new project with only ZUD, deluxe and tera plugin installed and it correctly exclude maxmoves and zmoves, without needing a banlist. I would be curious to know how you managed to bypass it

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
it was litterally what I put in the overview page. If you want to put the example map in your project, you need to create a new map, take its ID, then replace the corresponding map file in the data folder by the example map.
But I tested the script on a new project with only ZUD, deluxe and tera plugin installed and it correctly exclude maxmoves and zmoves, without needing a banlist. I would be curious to know how you managed to bypass it
Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to why the script didn't work and still isn't banning any Z-Dyna-Whatever moves whether I add them to the blacklist or not. Anyway thank you for updating the script so it works now. I'll have to modify the NPC to say "Don't teach your Pokemon illegal moves! I'd stop you from selecting them if I could!".

grogro

Cooltrainer
Do you have the last zud version? The only way to bypass the check would be if maxMove? is not defined

swampus

Rookie
Sorry to bother, I'm assuming I am just missing it, but where is the example map? I couldn't find it in the download.

grogro

Cooltrainer
Probably something I lost. It was in case of if someone is really lost. It should be fine if you just tweak the move relearner character as I said

4AllNighterGrinder64

4 Sleepless nights to update to Teal Mask Part 1
I need help with the Ultimate Move Tutor Plugin. The only issue I am facing is that I can’t set it so that the move tutor can teach egg moves, tutor moves, and pre-evolution moves. In the Plugin’s move_tutor.rb code, I have set the value MOVETUTOR to this:

MOVETUTOR=2 (This was changed from the default value of 34)

I set it to 2, because the code comments said a value of =>2 adds tutor moves, egg moves and pre-evolution moves.

I followed the instructions for setting up Ultimate Move Tutor and was able to copy and paste the Move Tutor in the Essentials demo rooms into my test rooms and apply the tweaks to the Move Tutor code to get Ultimate Move Tutor to work. I began using Pokemon Essentials V21.1 on the 15th of May 2023, and my build is using the Pokemon data and sprites up to Gen 9 Teal Mask Part 1. So, before Teal Mask, Part 2 is released. The plugins I am using on top of Ultimate Move Tutor are the following:

V21.1 Hotfixes

Bag Screen with Interactable Party

BerryPots for Essentials v21

FRLG Battle UI

FRLG Summary Screen

Generation 9 Pack Scripts

Modular UI Scenes

Ultimate Move Tutor

I have cleared out the player save data from the AppData Roaming directory prior to and after adding in Ultimate Move Tutor, and I have cleared the PluginScripts.rxdata file in the Data folder of my Essentials project folders before and after testing Ultimate Move Tutor. During testing, I was always holding down Ctrl to make sure the game compiled the scripts and other data. And because there were no error messages being displayed during my testing of Ultimate Move Tutor, because it is working as intended. I can’t backtrace what the problem is, or what is likely overwriting the value MOVETUTOR and having the value 2 be read. It just sticks to the normal move tutor, who only allows the player’s Pokemon to relearn previous level-up moves. I am new to Essentials, so I can’t navigate the Debug menu well, outside of the basics.

If anyone can help me out, I appreciate it. If possible, I am aiming for the move tutor to be condensed down into one NPC that can teach Egg moves, tutor moves, and pre-evolution moves. If it can’t be done, then I will be happy with using the == method to make distinct NPCs that are set to teach one set of tutor moves.

Update: After first posting this, I went ahead and made a clean copy of stock Pokemon Essentials, containing it in an experiment folder, in the arrangement of folders I have for keeping organized with making a Pokemon fan game. Besides adding in the V21.1 Hotfixes, everything else is as clean as a slate as Pokemon Essentials can be. I added in Ultimate Move Tutor, to see if just having it in isolation fixed my problem. The same issue happened again, where I could not choose Egg, Tutor and Pre Evolution moves. This tells me that I am not properly setting the function call for the move tutor so that it knows I want the move tutor to teach those three categories of moves.

I also forgot at first to put in some images to give better context for the problem I am having. The Move Relearner I adapted from copy-pasting the example Move Tutor from the demo rooms is on the right side of the Poke Mart. And the Move Relearner for the Pokemon I choose can only relearn their level-up moves. Is there an important step I overlooked, or a UI button action I didn't know needed to be pressed?
UMT Move Tutor Choices 1 (Egg Tutor and Pre Evo Moves are not present).PNG
UMT Move Tutor Choices 2 (Egg Tutor and Pre Evo Moves are not present).PNG
UMT Move Tutor Code Adaption 1.PNG
UMT Move Tutor Code Adaption 2.PNG
UMT Move Tutor Event (On the right side of the Poke Mart).PNG
UMT move_tutor.rb settings.PNG
UMT move_tutor.rb tutor preset that I want to work.PNG
UMT Post Boot Plugin Info.PNG

Last edited:

grogro

Cooltrainer

the MOVETUTOR=2 is the variable you are using. It's the number in this variable that determine the move tutor type

4AllNighterGrinder64

4 Sleepless nights to update to Teal Mask Part 1
Actually, what you have just checks if pokemon can learn moves but does nothing. You need to copy the whole default move relearner event after it!
And your first line does nothing.
Thank you for the advice. Because I am still a total beginner with Essentials, I was able to find out what the actual problem was. The value MOVETUTOR needed to be at 34. And then in the move relearner code, I needed to set the Control Variable 0034 to 2. Now the move tutor is working in the way I want.

Attachments

• UMT Problem Fixed 1.PNG
    UMT Problem Fixed 1.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 45
  • UMT Problem Fixed 2.PNG
    UMT Problem Fixed 2.PNG
    63.9 KB · Views: 35
  • UMT Problem Fixed 3.PNG
    UMT Problem Fixed 3.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 38

grogro

Cooltrainer
you can change this value in an event anytime during the game, then you can make an upgradable move tutor or several small ones, your choice.
Thank you for the advice. Because I am still a total beginner with Essentials, I was able to find out what the actual problem was. The value MOVETUTOR needed to be at 34. And then in the move relearner code, I needed to set the Control Variable 0034 to 2. Now the move tutor is working in the way I want.

Xabarquiz

Rookie
Hello, I´m new to scripting in ruby and have very limited knowledge. So basically I understand that this plugin lets you create an NPC event that teaches all tm moves a pokemon can learn, but I don´t know how to set this up.

What do I exactly have to change and where do I change it in order to make an NPC that allows your pokemon to learn all tm moves and egg moves and so on but in a gradual way (so that early evos dont learn op moves)?. I´d rlly appreciate the help pls.

grogro

Cooltrainer
You don't need any ruby knowledge here. You just chose a number in the first line of the script (it's 34 by default) then you can change the corresponding variable in the rpgmaker editor.
So for example if you want the move tutor to upgrade after gym 3, you change the value of variable 34 after winning.
And yeah the code is basically the one of the move tutor with more things in it.
Folow the small tutorial, and just ignore the banlist thing if you don't need something super custom, it works correctly by default as long as you are not using the associated variables and switches for something else

Back