• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Quantum

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
Quantum.png

game title.png

Pokémon Quantum

game screenshots.png

ezgif-3-f429f8005560.gif
1616100417058.png
1616100097960.png
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

game download.png

Download Pokémon Quantum v0.1.12 (Mediafire)

made using.png

Engine: Pokémon Essentials v18 - RPG Maker XP

IDE: Visual Studio Code & Atom
Audio Editing: Audacity & FL Studio 12
Image Editing: Paint.NET & Adobe Illustrator

team.png

@ENLS

@Voltseon

notes.png

"Are you prepared to see what it's like to live among the microscopical?

After some science stuff gone wrong you find yourself lost in the Quantum Realm!
Explore new types of Pokémon in this exciting short lived story!"

resource pack.png
Pokémon Quantum Resource Pack

credits.png
Team
ENLS & Voltseon

Plugins
Luka's Scripting Utilities by Luka SJ.
Modular Title Screen by Luka SJ.

Marin's Scripting Utilities by Marin.
DP Pause Menu by Marin.
Better Fast-forward Mode by Marin.
HM Items by Marin.

Item Find by Boonzeet.

Voltseon's Handy Tools by Voltseon
Teleport Item by Voltseon & ENLS

Text Input Settings by Mr. Gela

FMOD Ex API by FIRELIGHT TECHNOLOGIES PTY LTD.
RGSS by Enterbrain
RGSS Linker, RGSS FmodEx, Audio (FmodEx) by Nuri Yuri
LOOP_TABLE by GiraPrimal

Graphics (check resource pack for more detailed credit list)
Winter Game Jam 2 Graphics by Relic Castle Staff

Awesome outside tileset by Magiscarf

Various other tileset graphics by Alucus and WesleyFG

Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds by MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer

Special Thanks to
Relic Castle Staff
for hosting an epic Game Jam!

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

required graphics.png
The shoes are an item that you get at the start.
The DS is the Teleport Device you use throughout the game,
and the Gen 3 trainers are Quantum Experts in the Quantum Realm

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    8.5 MB · Views: 20,951
Last edited:

WolfShadowWhisper

Just a wolf that loves the shadows on a hot day :)
Officially the first game I played of the game jam. First off, Well done on making a brilliant game. I loved the fakemon, especially Wailmer and his evolution. (I wish I could have had that Snorlax, it looked interesting!)

Secondly, my hat off to the spriter, the fakemon art was amazing.

thirdly, I wish the game will carry on. It ended on a cliffhanger and I would love to see the story continue as it is a well-written story.

Lastly. I am definitely putting this on my youtube channel, if other see this brilliant game they WILL definitely want to play it. You, in my opinion set the bar high in the WInter Game Jam 2.

Officially the first game I played of the game jam. First off, Well done on making a brilliant game. I loved the fakemon, especially Wailmer and his evolution. (I wish I could have had that Snorlax, it looked interesting!)

Secondly, my hat off to the spriter, the fakemon art was amazing.

thirdly, I wish the game will carry on. It ended on a cliffhanger and I would love to see the story continue as it is a well-written story.

Lastly. I am definitely putting this on my youtube channel, if other see this brilliant game they WILL definitely want to play it. You, in my opinion set the bar high in the WInter Game Jam 2.
Thank you so much!❤️
And yeah, @Voltseon definitely did a fantastic job on the fakemon sprites!
I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game, and I can tell you right now that we are 100% planning on continuing the story!

WolfShadowWhisper

Thank you so much!❤️
And yeah, @Voltseon definitely did a fantastic job on the fakemon sprites!
I'm really glad that you enjoyed the game, and I can tell you right now that we are 100% planning on continuing the story!
My Pleasure. You deserve the high praise and I am so happy you plan to continue the story. It is one I can't wait to explore further.

I reached the end of Quantum!

Aesthetic
I loved the designs for the different Pokémon you had in this game. I think my favourites, oddly enough, had to be the Unown. I love that you made so many different forms for them. I also love that, in a literal sense, they are unknown. The player doesn't really know what they are. I also liked the designs for Likitung and Snorlax.

The mapping was all good, as well. Everything felt pretty compact. I also like how the Quantum region resembles a cell in some ways, too! That was a super neat detail. The battle UI for this game is also very clean-looking, so points for that too.

I think my only complaint is the outdoor tileset. I feel like it doesn't really gel well with the rest of the overworld style, because you're using gen 4 tiles in an otherwise gen 3-styled game.

The Gameplay
The teleportation device is super cool. It was fun to zap around the world with it. The little ledges were an interesting way to make the player get used to the mechanic. I didn't seem to run into any bugs when I was using it, either, so kudos to that as well.

For the most part, the battles were fine. I did notice that the trainer with Wailmer likes to get a little spam-y with Minimize, and Snorlax can be very tricky with all of its defenses raised. But I managed to pull through with minimal training in the end.

I did notice that there was a fair bit of emptiness in the world - blank NPCs, no flavour text for objects, locked off areas, etc. I'm going to attribute a lot of that to the deadline crunch. But, I noticed even in places where there was some flavour text, it wasn't uniform. (Not all the same objects had it.)

The Writing
I love the premise of this game. The idea of there being microscopic Pokémon is super neat, and it has a lot of potential. I feel that the main theme you were going for really showed well in this game. It also allowed you to create some interesting environments, the kind that you wouldn't see in your average, ever-day Pokémon game.

Along with the main story being great, I love the dialogue of the ordinary NPCs as well. They have some pretty good exchanges with the player. I probably had a little too much fun with the dialogue options you gave me.

Bugs
1. Collision.
2. Corner piece seems to be missing. (Or it just needs to be edited to fit better.)
3. You don't actually get berries from this event. He also mentions giving the player an item, even before he has.
4. I can see someone hanging out here.
5. Collision.
6. Not sure if this is a bug, or part of the unfinished events, but Levi has nothing to say after you meet him in the lab.
7. Rotom doesn't vanish after the battle.
8. The most important bug I came across is that you didn't give the player badges. So any gift Pokémon (like the starter and Growlithe) stopped obeying around level 11.

0R6im8J.png

uGDMUsR.png

Jg40rgO.png

WfHHEEK.png

IRvu3c4.png

e3ZKQFL.png

laIsj33.png

The Squad
fqkLzbQ.png

Overall
Other than the few little details that I pointed out, I loved this jam entry. It was an exciting way to explore the world of Pokémon! I really hope to see more progress on this project in the future. Great job with this entry!

I reached the end of Quantum!

Aesthetic
I loved the designs for the different Pokémon you had in this game. I think my favourites, oddly enough, had to be the Unown. I love that you made so many different forms for them. I also love that, in a literal sense, they are unknown. The player doesn't really know what they are. I also liked the designs for Likitung and Snorlax.

The mapping was all good, as well. Everything felt pretty compact. I also like how the Quantum region resembles a cell in some ways, too! That was a super neat detail. The battle UI for this game is also very clean-looking, so points for that too.

I think my only complaint is the outdoor tileset. I feel like it doesn't really gel well with the rest of the overworld style, because you're using gen 4 tiles in an otherwise gen 3-styled game.

The Gameplay
The teleportation device is super cool. It was fun to zap around the world with it. The little ledges were an interesting way to make the player get used to the mechanic. I didn't seem to run into any bugs when I was using it, either, so kudos to that as well.

For the most part, the battles were fine. I did notice that the trainer with Wailmer likes to get a little spam-y with Minimize, and Snorlax can be very tricky with all of its defenses raised. But I managed to pull through with minimal training in the end.

I did notice that there was a fair bit of emptiness in the world - blank NPCs, no flavour text for objects, locked off areas, etc. I'm going to attribute a lot of that to the deadline crunch. But, I noticed even in places where there was some flavour text, it wasn't uniform. (Not all the same objects had it.)

The Writing
I love the premise of this game. The idea of there being microscopic Pokémon is super neat, and it has a lot of potential. I feel that the main theme you were going for really showed well in this game. It also allowed you to create some interesting environments, the kind that you wouldn't see in your average, ever-day Pokémon game.

Along with the main story being great, I love the dialogue of the ordinary NPCs as well. They have some pretty good exchanges with the player. I probably had a little too much fun with the dialogue options you gave me.

Bugs
1. Collision.
2. Corner piece seems to be missing. (Or it just needs to be edited to fit better.)
3. You don't actually get berries from this event. He also mentions giving the player an item, even before he has.
4. I can see someone hanging out here.
5. Collision.
6. Not sure if this is a bug, or part of the unfinished events, but Levi has nothing to say after you meet him in the lab.
7. Rotom doesn't vanish after the battle.
8. The most important bug I came across is that you didn't give the player badges. So any gift Pokémon (like the starter and Growlithe) stopped obeying around level 11.

0R6im8J.png

uGDMUsR.png

Jg40rgO.png

WfHHEEK.png

IRvu3c4.png

e3ZKQFL.png

laIsj33.png

The Squad
fqkLzbQ.png

Overall
Other than the few little details that I pointed out, I loved this jam entry. It was an exciting way to explore the world of Pokémon! I really hope to see more progress on this project in the future. Great job with this entry!
Thank you so much for the feedback! ❤️
And yeah, you're right. A lot of the details like missing flavour text and locked houses, aswell as
the inconsistencies in the tileset, we pretty much ignored for the jam, because we prioritised actually finishing the story
We're definitely gonna fix those bugs you mentioned, and we're make sure to balance all the trainers! (we didn't have much time to playtest whoops)

Anyways, I'm super glad you enjoyed the game! And yes, we're definitely gonna work more on it 😁

Pokémon Quantum has been updated to version 0.1.3
Had to fix some bugs! If you encounter any, please let me know either on Discord or here on Relic Castle.
  • Fixed bug with Pokémon not obeying you
  • Fixed a bunch of passability errors
  • Fixed not being able to pick up berries
  • Balanced some of the trainers in the Quantum Realm
  • Fixed consistency in flavour text of objects in the game
Download Pokémon Quantum v0.1.3 (Mediafire)

WolfShadowWhisper

Noice. Going to replay it and post that on my YouTube channel too, coz I am either crazy or like this game too much... or both....

WolfShadowWhisper

Pokémon Quantum has been updated to version 0.1.5
I realized that the post-game area that we made for Quantum WASN'T ACTUALLY ACCESSABLE so I fixed that yeah cool
Changelog:
  • Fixed not being able to do bonus post-game.
Download Pokémon Quantum v0.1.5 (Mediafire)
There is a post game!!!!!!!!????? Praise Arceus

luxdiablo

Berserk Inferno
Heya! I know you both watched me play Quantum live, but I wanted to summarize my thoughts after I had some time to really think back on my experience.

The gameplay aspect of this game has immense potential. From the various possibilities with new Quantum typing, along with the Quantum forms, there's a lot that can happen. I think my main gripe is that there was no reason for me to use multiple Quantum forms. They learn pretty similar moves, and the only reason I used both Onix and Wabby is because of Wabby's ability. If there was more variety in the Quantum Pokemon, maybe with signature moves, or with a new Atomic type or a new Plasma type, idk. There's a lot of potentials that can be had.

Obviously, this wouldn't be a proper review without talking about the teleportation mechanic. The Teleport Device worked really well (aside from a few bugs that we caught, but that's beside the point). I think that with teleportation puzzles and other applications, this can be one of the best features in a fangame to date. Obviously, aside from puzzles, there are tons of places where the Teleport Device can be applied creatively. For example, I think it'd be cool to see the Teleport Device used in some sort of minigame, where you have to teleport through a racecourse within a timeframe, or maybe escaping a collapsing cave. Additionally, the Teleport Device could be used as a 'Run' feature, with higher escape rates.

The one thing I'd probably complain about is the layout of various maps. Flux Cave, for example, was extremely streamlined and simple. There weren't any stray rocks, narrow paths, etc. It didn't feel like I was really exploring a cave. The same can be said about a lot of areas in the game. In the Quantum Realm, I would've loved the opportunity to explore a bit, but all of the paths other than the path to Quantum Cave were blocked, which was a bit disappointing.

I think the graphics honestly worked really well. I'm not a big fan at all of Gen 3 mixed with Magiscarf, but you managed to somehow make it work. The variety of colors in the grass, the matching water, all of it just really brought your environment to life. Of course, Voltseon's Pokemon sprites are absolutely brilliant, and I think that those were honestly the graphical highlights of the game. I have no real complaints with the graphics, and especially if you're going to make it a Gen 4-styled game, I think that'll work perfectly.

The premise of the game is extremely interesting and creative, and you managed to follow through with your premise very well. The name 'Pokemon Quantum' fits really well, and it makes a surprising amount of sense. The idea of the Quantum Realm is super creative, with microscopic Pokemon to be found. I think that your premise is golden, and if you manage to stick to your chosen aesthetic the way you have, you'll have a good game.

A big thing I take issue with is the storytelling. A lot of the characters feel really bland, and there's tons of opportunity for improvement. The most obvious example of this is Cameron. Cameron is someone who had just experienced a divorce, but through my interactions with him, it didn't seem like that. I think that Cameron should have been more distraught and depressed, and maybe as the game progresses, he learns to get over his divorce and fall back in love with science. Character developments like that can easily be done in the game. Also, I think it would've been a lot better if Professor Frankly being evil was more of a plot twist. I think that whole thing being revealed so quickly was a bit sudden, and I didn't have time to process it at all. Also, the 'rival' character didn't have much character at all, other than 'oh I'm the good guy'. I didn't understand what there was to notice about him, outside of the fact that I gave him a name.

Another thing I take issue with, and I want you to listen to this above all else. I understand that you want to involve your friends in your game and all, but if you want a player to take it seriously, you NEED to consider renaming your characters. I understand the whole 'haha funny cameo' thing, but if your goal is to make this a genuine fangame, then you need to revisit the names of your characters. I felt extremely disconnected from the characters purely because I knew that 'Professor Frankly' was a simple cameo, as was 'Cameron'. I think it'd be really neat if the Professor's name was related to quantum mechanics, or something like that.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game had a wonderful experience with it. If I had to summarize my feedback into a couple of sentences, I'd say this: Focus on making the game feel more alive. This can be done by making the maps more natural, removing the cameos, adding more variety to Quantum Pokemon, etc. The game has an incredible amount of potential, and with the right direction and planning, this game could go down as one of the best fangames out there. You both have done a fantastic job, and I can't wait to see more from Pokemon Quantum.

Rating: 9.5/10

Back