• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Orpheus

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Game Title: Pokemon Orpheus
splash.png

Welcome to the Thracea Region, a relatively smaller island somewhere near the Alola Region!

All is well, you and your mother, a famous scientist in the region, are looking forward to a Sinnoh getaway next month, you are eating lunch and are discussion the upcoming trip when suddenly a group of mercenaries burst into your house and abduct your mother. You must get her back, she is all you have left, she has entrusted you as well as your best friend growing up, Akamu, a starter Pokémon given to your mother from a colleague in Hoenn, that is meant for you once you turn 16 to save her from this mysterious group of no-good thugs.

Meet your new companion Pokémon!

252.png
255.png
258.png

As well as some new Thracea region EXLUSIVE REGIONAL FORMS! AND TRUST ME, there are way more where these came from!

194.png
403.png
328_1.png

Game Screenshots:
mapRegion0.PNG
766f84d69a9391aca57efcda852bec53.png

8133cd79778b4ec37f0761c52f316539.png
63a8f22a04a96d63211d08c6e64bffbf.png

A little warning, this is NOT a complete game, this is only Chapter One of Three! Once the Game Jam is over, I will be creating a discord, and recruiting a full team to finish (and probably redo quite a bit) of this amazing experience!

Game Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/66osk11yx7lyhs9/Pokemon_Orpheus.zip/file

Resources:

Team:

Brysoon - Developer, Writer, Balancer.
Aldo - Developer.
Lilly - Developer, Spriter, Balancer.

Gray - Spriter

Resource Pack:

Credits:
[Pokémon Essentials]
Was created by: Flameguru, Poccil (Peter O.), Maruno With contributions from: AvatarMonkeyKirby, Marin, Boushy, MiDas Mike, Brother1440, Near Fantastica, FL., PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, help-14, Rataime, IceGod64, SoundSpawn, Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta, Venom12, Lisa Anthony, Wachunga, Luka S.J. and everyone else who helped out.

[Scripts]
Luka's Scripting Utilities:
Luka S.J.

Modular Title Screen:
Luka S.J.

Mid Battle Dialogue/ Scripted Battles:
Golisopod User Luka SJ

Better Fast-forward Mode:
Marin

[Gen 8 Project]
Sprite Credits:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites- Luka SJ (Static EBS Sprites)
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites- All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Front Sprites- All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Front Sprites- All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds- MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer
Gen 6 Overworlds-princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Overworlds-Larry Turbo
Gen 8 Overworlds- SageDeoxys, Wolfang62
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites- Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites- Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites- Larry Turbo, Leparagon
Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries- Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries- Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries- Zeak6464
PBS Credits:
Zerokid, TheToxic, Golisopod User, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier
Script Credits:
Gen 8 Scripts: Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Golisopod User, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier
UberDunsparce - Compilation of Resources

[Overworld Sprites]
Gen 4 OW Sprites by:
Neo-Spriteman
VanillaSunshine
PurpleZaffre & Maicerochico
AtomicReactor

[Mandatory Graphics]
Relic Castle Staff

[Tiles]
Alucus
Minorthreat0987
EVoLiNa
Kyle-Dove
BoOmxBiG
UltimoSpriter
Tyranitar Dark
WesleyFG
LukaSJ
MANUXD789
chimcharsfireworkd
Crazyninjaguy
Kymotonian
Dewitty
AdalKroofs
Kaliser
Speed
KingTapir

[Regional Form Concepts]
Unknown-Dan
JWNutz
Velink
Skallhati
MALANDRA-PARODIA

[UI]
Party:
Modified by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Graphics Ripped by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Summary:
Modified by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Scrolling Background inspired by Mr. Gela's HGSS Trainer Card Scene
IV Ratings on Summary Screen
Adapted from Lucidious89's IV star script by Tommaniacal
Stat Screen Upgrade (EVs and IVs in Summary)
By Weibrot, Kobi2604 and dirkriptide
Converted to BW Summary Pack by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Graphics Ripped by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Font Ripped by Ploaj
Battle: Haru Raindo5E : Platinum UI rips used as reference
Zygoat: Essentials version of the UI

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Here's where I used graphics:
01ed7e10071b68eff046ff64c9265c1c.png
cffa1f7297b3537a0ab7295881c77558.png
f96f6d09c34657e7da928d0819b72c3e.png

Attachments

• mapRegion0.PNG
    mapRegion0.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:
You should know, there's a game-breaking bug on Route 2, the Jogger hasn't been defined-
1616113790813.png

(Neither has the Rancher, the Breeder, or the Cooltrainer)

Luckily, though, I was actually able to bypass that since you left you project file in, and I could get around him in Debug mode! So I was able to finish the demo! (Even though it was just the rival battle after that lol)

That logo is really pretty!

Yess running shoes from the start!

Those regional forms are super cool! Mudkip's a strong favorite for me, but I really like all of them, it feels like you put a lot of little details in as you incorporated the new type!

I like that the plot has a more unique setup, I'm excited to see where it goes!

I really appreciate the starters being at level 10, the movepools allow for a lot more strategizing that way!
Your mom's note says the starters are from Hoenn, but they're Thracea regional forms? That seems a little odd- why not just make her colleague from Thracea as well? Or even make it where your mom got them herself?

I know it's tradition to just pick one starter, but given the situation in the story, it comes off as really weird to leave behind the third starter. Your mom's been kidnapped, you'll need to get a lot of supplies, but you just... leave this Pokemon behind. I know writing in a third character would be a lot- what if Akamu takes the third and says you guys should battle to decide who gets it? And then it can be this running joke where he never gives it up until the post game!

That'd also solve another problem I have with Akamu- namely, that he doesn't seem to have any reason to want to battle you. Like, I get that he's supposed to be sort of a rude kid, so this is him like, proving himself, but it seems really weird to be like "Yeah, I'll help you find your mom! But let's battle real fast lol", especially when, outside of battle, he's in such a rush, even leaving the store before picking up his items. Like, if he's such an impatient person, why is he stopping you from investigating a kidnapping just to have a quick battle?

A lot of your dialogue includes "Name: text" in the textbox- I'd really suggest using Mr. Gela's name windows!

The water on the ocean looks like it should be moving, but the waves are static.

Going from Gen 5-style music to Gen 3 in the wild battles feels really awkward.

A lot of your maps feel really empty- not necessarily because of the visuals, but because in all the houses, the NPCs have really generic dialogue. It's all just little remarks about everyday things, or saying the town's weather is nice. It makes all the NPCs even more forgettable than usual- they don't tell me anything about this new region or the town/city they're in, just very nondescript tidbits- this girl talks too much, this guy's tired from work. I think you should try incorporating little bits of lore about the world into the NPC dialogue- it'll help keep things more interesting and make the locations feel more distinct! For example, what do people usually use the stage in Mateki City for? Does the surf shop actually get a lot of attention, or do people find other things to do in town?

There's also a total lack of flavor text, which means a little bit less to do when exploring. Flavor text isn't necessarily all that important, but for a small demo like this, I think it'd be good to include a bit to give the player a bit more to explore. As it stands, you basically just have the intro scenes, the jam sidequest, and two routes to go through.

The farmers that block Route 2 say they "need strong trainers", but when you meet Sam, she just asks for you to fetch a doctor? Doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that needs a trainer to do it.

On that note, it also seems a little odd that the problem would involve sending two people out to block the road- I would personally just take out the roadblock and instead make the ranch a little sidequest. It's not like the quest to fetch a doctor is going to mandatory for the story, anyways, unless an NPC shows up demanding the player's return.

Your project is still named Pokemon Essentials, so it'll pull save files from Essentials if the user already has one. That's an easy fix, just change the configuration settings in your folder!

Your project file and everything's still in the folder- this tutorial can show you how to compress that all! Makes your game file smaller, and makes it harder to manipulate your game!

The starters show up in the corner instead of in the middle of the screen-
1616061257736.png

It looks like all the icons for the menu are missing?
1616059596516.png

It seems like a lot of maps don't have any music set for them- Route 1 doesn't have any, Maketi City doesn't have any, etc.

A lot of Pokemon that are usually flying are on the ground.
1616059672406.png
1616112608412.png
1616113928479.png

Trapinch evolves directly in Flygon, skipping Vibrava. I noticed you had files and PBS entries for a regional Vibrava, so I assume that's just an error.

I can't talk with this clerk?
1616061353031.png

I also can't interact with the PC in the PMC.

This guy's in Gen 3 style, and it really clashes-
1616111892242.png

I know he's one of the required graphics, but seeing as he's just there to fill a requirement and nothing else, I'd suggest using one of the Gen 4 style instead.

There's some signs here and there, but there's no text on them at all.

The trainers in the Ranch don't have any losing dialogue, they just say "...".

Cowgirl Sam doesn't have any battle music.

Going up/down the stairs in the ranch, the player is facing backwards when they get in the next room.

Route 2 seems to be marked as an indoor map- the screen tone suddenly changed when I stepped onto it. It doesn't show the location name, either.

The egg received for bringing back the Jam says it was given "by the Fan Club President".
It seems a little odd that you can walk on top of the beds?
1616059171009.png

Little bit of reflection poking out in a lot of indoor maps- that's usually when there's void left over, so just some more black tiles should fix it!
1616058252948.png
1616058281262.png
1616058611461.png
1616058746187.png

I can pass through rock that's on the side of stairs-
1616061550554.png
1616061556228.png
1616061609063.png
1616061650107.png

These coconut trees should have their priority increased in some parts, they clip through the player a bit
1616061578442.png
1616061583243.png

I can step on all the item balls-
1616061631362.png

(That might be because of the event, though- is Through on?)

I can walk all over this fountain:
1616061101384.png

This rock's on top of these trees
1616061336454.png

I can walk through this counter here
1616111778537.png

On the PC
1616111804736.png

And all over this TV
1616111762818.png

These trees aren't passable at the top, and make an unnecessary obstacle.
1616112232065.png

I think you might have set them that way because the trees take up three tiles, and so it looks like making the second tile passable makes the player clip through the third?
1616112477862.png

But! If you just set the third tile to a priority of 2 instead of 1, it'll work great!
1616112447178.png

Same goes for the lampposts out in the city!

Honey, did you like your spaghetti, I made it - the comma should be a question mark
I think you might have meant Tamato Berry instead of Tomato Berry? (Assuming you wanted to reference the berry from the games)
who do you think you are bursting into MY home- comma after are
like he's done my colleagues he has another thing coming! - comma after colleagues,
\PN I just saw what happened to your mom- comma after PN
I couldn't get reach those idiots in time - delete either "get" or "reach"
I don't care how many of 'em there are we'll crush 'em- comma after are
Wait... \PN what is it? - comma after PN
In that compartment you will find three pokeballs from my colleagues in Hoenn and two pokedexes- Poké Balls, PokéDexes
They were going to be presents for you and Akamu once your turned sixteen- you
Let's see how strong these Pokemon are!- Pokémon
I chose the wrong Pokemon... - Pokémon
We should grab some pokeballs and supplies- Poké Balls
don't take too long otherwise I'll go without ya - comma after long
This town is so beatuiful - beautiful
Uh hey, your kinda cute teehee- you're, comma after cute
Fish, the simple mans gambling- man's
We need some Pokeballs! - Poké Balls
Ah young ones, - comma after Ah
Just get us some pokeballs- Poké Balls
I just arrived into town as I heard- comma after town
do your Pokemon need any aid? Pokémon
Little one, can you come back later, I am- comma should be a question mark
Are you trying to steal my precious bug Pokemon- Pokémon
This people appreciate - these
This lady isn't that good but I don't have the heart- comma after good
Hey why are there no mail boxes - comma after hey
learn to be quiet sometimes I swear - comma after sometimes
How don't you love Mateki City? - should just be "Don't you love Mateki City?"
Don't tell my Husband, but - husband shouldn't be capitalized
How don't you love Seila Town? - should just be "Don't you love Seila Town?", also, she says this in Mateki City (she's in the house with the firebreather)
some mighty special murkrows in this here ranch.! - delete the period, Murkrow should be capitalized
your too strong as it is! - you're
Hey there little one! - comma after hey
Ugh nevermind - comma after ugh, never mind is two words
You received a Leftobvers- Leftovers (also, if you use pbReceiveItem instead of $PokemonBag.pbStoreItem, that'll do the message and sound effect for you!)
Get you're fresh Moomoo Milk- your
dangerous to mosy people- I'm not sure if "mosy" was supposed to be "nosy" or "most", but either way, definitely a typo there

Dex entries-
Its antenna are very sensetive and can tell the location of any creature within a mile. - sensitive
Being around Honchkrow often makes you feel odly calm. No one really knows why this is. - oddly
The fire on it's head changes temperature based on it's mood. When it's happy, the fire is warmer. - the first two "it's" should be "its". ("Its" is weird and doesn't have an apostrophe when it's about ownership)
It can change the size of its flames at will, occasionally pulling pranks on other Pokemon. -Pokémon

Also, a few lines have this error:
1616061174975.png

1616061405204.png

1616061412238.png

1616061433872.png
1616061596885.png
1616061601899.png

1616112688962.png
1616112768482.png

1616115067589.png
1616115111404.png
1616115116293.png
1616115121459.png

That's this annoying quirk of the fonts- apostrophes have to be ', not ‘ or ’, and some sites make them the fancy ones automatically. Drives me crazy when it happens lol, it makes copy+pasting so much harder than it needs to be.

brysoonye

Novice
You should know, there's a game-breaking bug on Route 2, the Jogger hasn't been defined-
View attachment 2967
(Neither has the Rancher, the Breeder, or the Cooltrainer)

Luckily, though, I was actually able to bypass that since you left you project file in, and I could get around him in Debug mode! So I was able to finish the demo! (Even though it was just the rival battle after that lol)

That logo is really pretty!

Yess running shoes from the start!

Those regional forms are super cool! Mudkip's a strong favorite for me, but I really like all of them, it feels like you put a lot of little details in as you incorporated the new type!

I like that the plot has a more unique setup, I'm excited to see where it goes!

I really appreciate the starters being at level 10, the movepools allow for a lot more strategizing that way!
Your mom's note says the starters are from Hoenn, but they're Thracea regional forms? That seems a little odd- why not just make her colleague from Thracea as well? Or even make it where your mom got them herself?

I know it's tradition to just pick one starter, but given the situation in the story, it comes off as really weird to leave behind the third starter. Your mom's been kidnapped, you'll need to get a lot of supplies, but you just... leave this Pokemon behind. I know writing in a third character would be a lot- what if Akamu takes the third and says you guys should battle to decide who gets it? And then it can be this running joke where he never gives it up until the post game!

That'd also solve another problem I have with Akamu- namely, that he doesn't seem to have any reason to want to battle you. Like, I get that he's supposed to be sort of a rude kid, so this is him like, proving himself, but it seems really weird to be like "Yeah, I'll help you find your mom! But let's battle real fast lol", especially when, outside of battle, he's in such a rush, even leaving the store before picking up his items. Like, if he's such an impatient person, why is he stopping you from investigating a kidnapping just to have a quick battle?

A lot of your dialogue includes "Name: text" in the textbox- I'd really suggest using Mr. Gela's name windows!

The water on the ocean looks like it should be moving, but the waves are static.

Going from Gen 5-style music to Gen 3 in the wild battles feels really awkward.

A lot of your maps feel really empty- not necessarily because of the visuals, but because in all the houses, the NPCs have really generic dialogue. It's all just little remarks about everyday things, or saying the town's weather is nice. It makes all the NPCs even more forgettable than usual- they don't tell me anything about this new region or the town/city they're in, just very nondescript tidbits- this girl talks too much, this guy's tired from work. I think you should try incorporating little bits of lore about the world into the NPC dialogue- it'll help keep things more interesting and make the locations feel more distinct! For example, what do people usually use the stage in Mateki City for? Does the surf shop actually get a lot of attention, or do people find other things to do in town?

There's also a total lack of flavor text, which means a little bit less to do when exploring. Flavor text isn't necessarily all that important, but for a small demo like this, I think it'd be good to include a bit to give the player a bit more to explore. As it stands, you basically just have the intro scenes, the jam sidequest, and two routes to go through.

The farmers that block Route 2 say they "need strong trainers", but when you meet Sam, she just asks for you to fetch a doctor? Doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that needs a trainer to do it.

On that note, it also seems a little odd that the problem would involve sending two people out to block the road- I would personally just take out the roadblock and instead make the ranch a little sidequest. It's not like the quest to fetch a doctor is going to mandatory for the story, anyways, unless an NPC shows up demanding the player's return.

Your project is still named Pokemon Essentials, so it'll pull save files from Essentials if the user already has one. That's an easy fix, just change the configuration settings in your folder!

Your project file and everything's still in the folder- this tutorial can show you how to compress that all! Makes your game file smaller, and makes it harder to manipulate your game!

The starters show up in the corner instead of in the middle of the screen-
View attachment 2911

It looks like all the icons for the menu are missing?
View attachment 2907

It seems like a lot of maps don't have any music set for them- Route 1 doesn't have any, Maketi City doesn't have any, etc.

A lot of Pokemon that are usually flying are on the ground.
View attachment 2908View attachment 2964View attachment 2968

Trapinch evolves directly in Flygon, skipping Vibrava. I noticed you had files and PBS entries for a regional Vibrava, so I assume that's just an error.

I can't talk with this clerk?
View attachment 2913

I also can't interact with the PC in the PMC.

This guy's in Gen 3 style, and it really clashes-
View attachment 2960
I know he's one of the required graphics, but seeing as he's just there to fill a requirement and nothing else, I'd suggest using one of the Gen 4 style instead.

There's some signs here and there, but there's no text on them at all.

The trainers in the Ranch don't have any losing dialogue, they just say "...".

Cowgirl Sam doesn't have any battle music.

Going up/down the stairs in the ranch, the player is facing backwards when they get in the next room.

Route 2 seems to be marked as an indoor map- the screen tone suddenly changed when I stepped onto it. It doesn't show the location name, either.

The egg received for bringing back the Jam says it was given "by the Fan Club President".
It seems a little odd that you can walk on top of the beds?
View attachment 2906

Little bit of reflection poking out in a lot of indoor maps- that's usually when there's void left over, so just some more black tiles should fix it!
View attachment 2902View attachment 2903View attachment 2904View attachment 2905

I can pass through rock that's on the side of stairs-
View attachment 2917View attachment 2918View attachment 2923View attachment 2925

These coconut trees should have their priority increased in some parts, they clip through the player a bit
View attachment 2919View attachment 2920

I can step on all the item balls-
View attachment 2924
(That might be because of the event, though- is Through on?)

I can walk all over this fountain:
View attachment 2909

This rock's on top of these trees
View attachment 2912
I can walk through this counter here
View attachment 2958
On the PC
View attachment 2959
And all over this TV
View attachment 2957

These trees aren't passable at the top, and make an unnecessary obstacle.
View attachment 2961
I think you might have set them that way because the trees take up three tiles, and so it looks like making the second tile passable makes the player clip through the third?
View attachment 2963
But! If you just set the third tile to a priority of 2 instead of 1, it'll work great!
View attachment 2962

Same goes for the lampposts out in the city!

Honey, did you like your spaghetti, I made it - the comma should be a question mark
I think you might have meant Tamato Berry instead of Tomato Berry? (Assuming you wanted to reference the berry from the games)
who do you think you are bursting into MY home- comma after are
like he's done my colleagues he has another thing coming! - comma after colleagues,
\PN I just saw what happened to your mom- comma after PN
I couldn't get reach those idiots in time - delete either "get" or "reach"
I don't care how many of 'em there are we'll crush 'em- comma after are
Wait... \PN what is it? - comma after PN
In that compartment you will find three pokeballs from my colleagues in Hoenn and two pokedexes- Poké Balls, PokéDexes
They were going to be presents for you and Akamu once your turned sixteen- you
Let's see how strong these Pokemon are!- Pokémon
I chose the wrong Pokemon... - Pokémon
We should grab some pokeballs and supplies- Poké Balls
don't take too long otherwise I'll go without ya - comma after long
This town is so beatuiful - beautiful
Uh hey, your kinda cute teehee- you're, comma after cute
Fish, the simple mans gambling- man's
We need some Pokeballs! - Poké Balls
Ah young ones, - comma after Ah
Just get us some pokeballs- Poké Balls
I just arrived into town as I heard- comma after town
do your Pokemon need any aid? Pokémon
Little one, can you come back later, I am- comma should be a question mark
Are you trying to steal my precious bug Pokemon- Pokémon
This people appreciate - these
This lady isn't that good but I don't have the heart- comma after good
Hey why are there no mail boxes - comma after hey
learn to be quiet sometimes I swear - comma after sometimes
How don't you love Mateki City? - should just be "Don't you love Mateki City?"
Don't tell my Husband, but - husband shouldn't be capitalized
How don't you love Seila Town? - should just be "Don't you love Seila Town?", also, she says this in Mateki City (she's in the house with the firebreather)
some mighty special murkrows in this here ranch.! - delete the period, Murkrow should be capitalized
your too strong as it is! - you're
Hey there little one! - comma after hey
Ugh nevermind - comma after ugh, never mind is two words
You received a Leftobvers- Leftovers (also, if you use pbReceiveItem instead of $PokemonBag.pbStoreItem, that'll do the message and sound effect for you!)
Get you're fresh Moomoo Milk- your
dangerous to mosy people- I'm not sure if "mosy" was supposed to be "nosy" or "most", but either way, definitely a typo there

Dex entries-
Its antenna are very sensetive and can tell the location of any creature within a mile. - sensitive
Being around Honchkrow often makes you feel odly calm. No one really knows why this is. - oddly
The fire on it's head changes temperature based on it's mood. When it's happy, the fire is warmer. - the first two "it's" should be "its". ("Its" is weird and doesn't have an apostrophe when it's about ownership)
It can change the size of its flames at will, occasionally pulling pranks on other Pokemon. -Pokémon

Also, a few lines have this error:
View attachment 2910
View attachment 2914
View attachment 2915
View attachment 2916View attachment 2921View attachment 2922
View attachment 2965View attachment 2966
View attachment 2969View attachment 2970View attachment 2971View attachment 2972
That's this annoying quirk of the fonts- apostrophes have to be ', not ‘ or ’, and some sites make them the fancy ones automatically. Drives me crazy when it happens lol, it makes copy+pasting so much harder than it needs to be.
Let me start off by saying thank you for such an in-depth review! Most of these in-fact around 90% of them are due to us being forced to cram everything into a 2 day period when it came to eventing, I think all of the NPC Dialogue were made within the last two hours before the deadline.

I am honestly not even 100% sure I will be fixing any of these errors in this demo, I currently am working with another dev to continue the project later next month and work towards a mid summer which would include everything that was supposed to be in this demo. We honestly think that it's better to completely scrap what we have, maps, and all of the eventing and such. The overall story & style of the game will remain intact, as well as most of the spriting assets although a few will be reworked. I will be going back over everything and will take all recommendations in consideration with regards to the story and such so thank you for that! :)

Let me start off by saying thank you for such an in-depth review! Most of these in-fact around 90% of them are due to us being forced to cram everything into a 2 day period when it came to eventing, I think all of the NPC Dialogue were made within the last two hours before the deadline.

I am honestly not even 100% sure I will be fixing any of these errors in this demo, I currently am working with another dev to continue the project later next month and work towards a mid summer which would include everything that was supposed to be in this demo. We honestly think that it's better to completely scrap what we have, maps, and all of the eventing and such. The overall story & style of the game will remain intact, as well as most of the spriting assets although a few will be reworked. I will be going back over everything and will take all recommendations in consideration with regards to the story and such so thank you for that! :)
Well, I hope you guys have fun, whichever route you decide to go! I'm looking forward to seeing what's in store!

Finished the demo! Here are my notes.

Aesthetic
The custom form sprites are nice, as is the title screen. I particularly like the design for my starter. The custom overworlds and trainer backs are done well, but I did notice a few flubs with them. The female protag does not bob up and down as she walks in some direction. (An alignment problem.) The male protag's hair flips back and forth, because the side step animations are a perfect mirror.

The indoor tilesets do not match the style of the outdoor assets at all. They have no outline, different shading styles, different pallets, etc. Even with the outdoor tiles, I noticed there were inconsistencies in the styles of tiles chosen. The ranch house, for example, sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a different style, has different pallets, and is way larger than any of the other ordinary houses.

In addition, some of the NPCs mention the region being tropical, but there's very little in the environment to suggest that. (Beyond the palm trees and sand at the beginning. I would look into changing that for future updates.)

Like Tech, I also find the overworld to be a bit empty. Beyond the starter and second towns, I felt that the mapping was mostly fine. (Those two towns are just really open. There's a lot of wasted space, with not much going on.) The few music tracks there were in the game didn't gel, and the constant Accumula Town background theme didn't help. That was one bug, I noticed - many of the maps didn't actually have their BGM set. Thus, the last song from the last area would carry over. (You can tell this because when you exit the game and come back to a map, it will start off silent.)

The Gameplay
The gameplay was fine. My starter basically swept through everything, which is par for the course in most early-game Pokémon stuff. I prefer not to debug in other people's fangames, and from what Tech says, the game ends there, so that's where I stopped.

I did my best to make sure that the bugs I documented didn't overlap with Tech's too much. That being said, I still noticed that there were many. The game is in definite need of some polish to catch all the little details.

I also want to re-emphasize Tech's point about cleaning up the main folder. Even the bigger fangames out there don't typically exceed a gig in size. There is no reason for a quick demo to be over that. Remember to delete the hidden .git folder on future releases.

The Writing
I like the premise of the protag's mom going missing, I thought that was interesting.

However, I also agree with all the criticisms Tech has. So, I'm not going to reiterate those points. I will add that I find it strange that Afu doesn't care about the protag's mother being kidnapped at all. The rival seems like the one who's in the right by being impatient, in all honesty. It's doubly weird that Afu then goes on to give the player a sidequest, as if they don't have higher priorities.

Bugs
1. Priority.
2. Door graphic is misaligned.
3. Priority.
4. Typo.
5. This happened with many doors.
6. Passage and priority.
7. Tiling error.
8. Improper door graphic on exiting.
9. You can pass through the back of the stage.
10. Improper door graphic on exiting.
11. Improper door graphic on exiting.
12. Improper door graphic on exiting.
13. Passage.
14. Priority.
15. Both these buildings use the wrong door graphic on exiting.
16. No counterflag set.
17. You can trigger the event with Sam, even when you enter on the second floor.
18. Sam is visible here.
19. Ledge terrain not set

jRJ7j27.png

lHl6msN.png

lAjMgn6.png

WcXAgxO.png

oPBs83u.gif

C4XEXJh.png

lKL9aVf.png

ZLJYs3Q.png

TEWuRNN.png

6GeKlJT.png

aAhBI9y.png

vVj9ehc.png

OnsRXWS.png

ZJAetRw.png

12uXjoP.png

wh81GyY.png

Obbp4dU.png

QtJuhIB.png

gEIscAl.png

The Squad
ONh5tWV.png

Overall
As a whole, I enjoyed my playthrough. I just think that the game is in need of some polish. Good work!

brysoonye

Novice
Finished the demo! Here are my notes.

Aesthetic
The custom form sprites are nice, as is the title screen. I particularly like the design for my starter. The custom overworlds and trainer backs are done well, but I did notice a few flubs with them. The female protag does not bob up and down as she walks in some direction. (An alignment problem.) The male protag's hair flips back and forth, because the side step animations are a perfect mirror.

The indoor tilesets do not match the style of the outdoor assets at all. They have no outline, different shading styles, different pallets, etc. Even with the outdoor tiles, I noticed there were inconsistencies in the styles of tiles chosen. The ranch house, for example, sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a different style, has different pallets, and is way larger than any of the other ordinary houses.

In addition, some of the NPCs mention the region being tropical, but there's very little in the environment to suggest that. (Beyond the palm trees and sand at the beginning. I would look into changing that for future updates.)

Like Tech, I also find the overworld to be a bit empty. Beyond the starter and second towns, I felt that the mapping was mostly fine. (Those two towns are just really open. There's a lot of wasted space, with not much going on.) The few music tracks there were in the game didn't gel, and the constant Accumula Town background theme didn't help. That was one bug, I noticed - many of the maps didn't actually have their BGM set. Thus, the last song from the last area would carry over. (You can tell this because when you exit the game and come back to a map, it will start off silent.)

The Gameplay
The gameplay was fine. My starter basically swept through everything, which is par for the course in most early-game Pokémon stuff. I prefer not to debug in other people's fangames, and from what Tech says, the game ends there, so that's where I stopped.

I did my best to make sure that the bugs I documented didn't overlap with Tech's too much. That being said, I still noticed that there were many. The game is in definite need of some polish to catch all the little details.

I also want to re-emphasize Tech's point about cleaning up the main folder. Even the bigger fangames out there don't typically exceed a gig in size. There is no reason for a quick demo to be over that. Remember to delete the hidden .git folder on future releases.

The Writing
I like the premise of the protag's mom going missing, I thought that was interesting.

However, I also agree with all the criticisms Tech has. So, I'm not going to reiterate those points. I will add that I find it strange that Afu doesn't care about the protag's mother being kidnapped at all. The rival seems like the one who's in the right by being impatient, in all honesty. It's doubly weird that Afu then goes on to give the player a sidequest, as if they don't have higher priorities.

Bugs
1. Priority.
2. Door graphic is misaligned.
3. Priority.
4. Typo.
5. This happened with many doors.
6. Passage and priority.
7. Tiling error.
8. Improper door graphic on exiting.
9. You can pass through the back of the stage.
10. Improper door graphic on exiting.
11. Improper door graphic on exiting.
12. Improper door graphic on exiting.
13. Passage.
14. Priority.
15. Both these buildings use the wrong door graphic on exiting.
16. No counterflag set.
17. You can trigger the event with Sam, even when you enter on the second floor.
18. Sam is visible here.
19. Ledge terrain not set

jRJ7j27.png

lHl6msN.png

lAjMgn6.png

WcXAgxO.png

oPBs83u.gif

C4XEXJh.png

lKL9aVf.png

ZLJYs3Q.png

TEWuRNN.png

6GeKlJT.png

aAhBI9y.png

vVj9ehc.png

OnsRXWS.png

ZJAetRw.png

12uXjoP.png

wh81GyY.png

Obbp4dU.png

QtJuhIB.png

gEIscAl.png

The Squad
ONh5tWV.png

Overall
As a whole, I enjoyed my playthrough. I just think that the game is in need of some polish. Good work!
Thank you not only for the kind words, but the criticisms as well! Myself and the Dev that finished the Demo were going to revive the project post game and basically re-do everything from scratch, however I think I'll be taking a longer break from it post jam, I have a new project in the works under heavy development it's a secret for now, but hopefully you'll play it once it's done! Thank you as always Ekat! Loved Nightshade btw!

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Hi there! I just finished the demo content. I like what you have so far, especially the few regional forms I was able to see. Tech and Ekat have already given you great feedback, so I won't repeat what they've already said.

Here was my team by the end of the demo content:
Ignore the fact that Mareep is a male (see nickname). 😅
ss1.png

I look forward to seeing what you do with Orpheus after the Game Jam!
Until next time~

Samdeman123124

Novice
Not sure if this is fixable, but everytime I download, it stops and fails at 436 mgbs. My download speed is really high, so not sure why this is happening.

LTL Gamer Tv

Rookie
Hey pro ! I don't understand why game complete but still have bugs , i can't play game by this bug is breaking game
Capture.PNG

yes

Novice
What are the shiny odds? planning to do a shinylocke if odds are low also where do you get wooper

Last edited:

Cryptochrome

Heretic
Hello! Sorry yeah, I have no intention on bug fixing this game, it's no where near complete in fact its only about 1/3rd of the planned demo. Sorry!
Perhaps you could change this thread's tag to "Released" or "Work in Progress" instead of "Completed?" Otherwise it's just going to continue frustrating users searching for completed games.

Back