• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
HGSS for RMXP

Resource HGSS for RMXP 1.2

SirMalo

Rookie
SirMalo submitted a new resource:

HGSS for RMXP - tileset hgss official

Hey, makers
:)

Today I would like to share with you the first results of a big project started several months ago: RIP & fix of all the graphic resources from the HGSS games. I've been in the making business for almost 15 years, and I've seen tons of beginners having trouble creating beautiful maps, especially because they mixed different tilesets to get elements they needed. Indeed, there is no complete and...

Read more about this resource...

DannyPhantump

(He's a Phantump)
Thank you for posting this on Relic Castle, saw this on your DeviantART a few months ago.

Looking forward to the door animations & cave tiles next, b/c then I can completely replace the Pokemon Gaia project tiles with yours (shorter credit list & homogenous tileset, yo)

Take care :)

Simeo

Normal-Type Self Proclamed Expert
Wow, that's really great !!! Thank you so much !

SirMalo

Rookie
Thank you all!

@LightningKillua15 : yes I remember your comments on DA! I’m working on it (quite slowly atm...) but I’ll soon add a lot of characters sheets for animations!
Indoor and dungeons tilesets are on their way too

DannyPhantump

(He's a Phantump)
Thank you all!

@LightningKillua15 : yes I remember your comments on DA! I’m working on it (quite slowly atm...) but I’ll soon add a lot of characters sheets for animations!
Indoor and dungeons tilesets are on their way too
You're doing great, dude :) I love Gen IV style graphics so much, so hoping to see these tiles all over RMXP fangames (w/credit to you, ofc)

Thanks to your tiles, I've been able to make significant progress re-creating HGSS maps in RMXP, alongside some tiles from WesleyFG (Nugget Bridge & Cycling road) + Magiscarf. I'll try to share progress soon, w/credit to everyone.

SirMalo

Rookie
Hello everybody!

Added some characters, including all building doors (outdoor) and some animated objects. You'll find them in the "CharactersV1" archive.

Almost all doors have the same dimensions, so you'll might need to do some twickerings if you want to adapt them to some buildings that have larger or tinier door frames.

Have fun, and as always, don't hesitate commenting and asking questions :)

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
Love it!
One problem though, what happened to the Battle Frontier buildings?
And what do you use to rip your stuff? Textures? Direct Rips from the game? Blender?
Just curious.

Abdoulgaming

Mr. Y
Liebe es!
Ein Problem: Was ist mit den Battle Frontier-Gebäuden passiert?
Und was benutzt du, um deine Sachen zu zerreißen? Texturen? Direkte Rips aus dem Spiel? Mixer?
Nur neugierig.
Ich wI know how to rip it down load an HGSS ROM and load Spikys DS Map Editor and find the buildings somewhere and save them I mean search the models and save them. I will maybe show a couple of examples

Sorry for the German description because Google is responsible

SirMalo

Rookie
I indeed used Spiky DS Map Editor to load all the models and textures, but also ripped directly throught an emulator with a "2D" cheat and then cleaned and adapted everything.

I'll add the Battle Frontier buildings soon :)

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
Ich wI know how to rip it down load an HGSS ROM and load Spikys DS Map Editor and find the buildings somewhere and save them I mean search the models and save them. I will maybe show a couple of examples

Sorry for the German description because Google is responsible
That's awesome!

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
I indeed used Spiky DS Map Editor to load all the models and textures, but also ripped directly throught an emulator with a "2D" cheat and then cleaned and adapted everything.

I'll add the Battle Frontier buildings soon :)
What do you mean load the models? For reference? Or do you use the models for ripping, like Shiney570?
Basically I do Gen 5 tiles and it's pretty hard to rip buildings.

SirMalo

Rookie
@FloofyPanthar: I extract the model with SDSME, then load it on Blender, take a screenshot of it, open it on Photoshop and resize it with a a screenshot of the same model in the emulator beside to get it to the right size, basically. Then I clean it a bit (redrawing some shaky lines or harmonizing some parts) and calibrate it for RMXP (making sure all the doorsteps are centered and on the grid).
If you need the models, textures and rough screenshots (not reiszed nor cleaned) of BW2, I gathered and organized them here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uyn6x14On8EkR5TAX_VkozmlEwlCPtfc?usp=sharing

@LightningKillua: damn, you're right, it's missing. I'll add it very soon, I just forgot to add it when I gathered all the tiles on one sheet. Thanks for the interior tiles! I actually already have plenty of them, I mostly need to sort them by categories (walls, floors, furniture, etc.) and rip some Kanto buildings.

mikenaria

Rookie
Hey, I couldn't find the Pewter City house building. No worries though, the fact that you got every other building is incredible.

Also, idk if this'll help, but SpaceEmotion on DeviantArt also has some HGSS interior tile rips that might be helpful/save time:

Take care & thank you for everything :)
Hey man, what maps are you making? I'm almost done with Johto using these tiles; are you making Kanto? I plan to see how many regions I can remake with gen 4/5 graphics.

DannyPhantump

(He's a Phantump)
Hey man, what maps are you making? I'm almost done with Johto using these tiles; are you making Kanto? I plan to see how many regions I can remake with gen 4/5 graphics.
Yup, I'm making Kanto & the Sevii Islands in Gen IV syle :)

While I'm using the Buildings & Urban tiles from here, I'm actually using Magiscarf's* tiles for the more nature-oriented parts of Kanto. I'll try to send screenshots soon. I also found the Nugget Bridge from CrazyNinjaGuy's HGSS pack & the cycling road form WesleyFG on DeviantART.

*the nature tiles I'm using can be found here: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/208/

I'd rather not derail this thread, so feel free to direct message me.

SirMalo

Rookie
I edited the Drive folder: added the missing Pewter City house and added a separated folder for characters.

outrivaled

Rookie
Hi! I'm very new to RPG Maker XP and the whole Pokemon Essentials thing in general, and I wanted to ask what you meant by copy and pasting the tiles over each other? I'd love to use these to recreate the Johto map, but like I said, I'm still a little lost and don't exactly understand what to do to set the tiles up in the program.

SirMalo

Rookie
Hey outrivaled :)

It means you have to create a new file with the tiles you want to use. RMXP uses a specific format for the tilesets, so the picture you're gonna use must be 256px large. But as RMXP only allow 32x32 tiles and Pokémon uses 16x16 tiles, we will first work with dimensions divided by 2 and then resize it properly.

Basically, open the different tilesheets in a picture-editing software (graphicsgale, aseprite, photoshop...), then create a new file that is 128px large and let's say 3200px high. Display a 16x16 grid on each of those files.

As 128px corresponds to 8 tiles, you'll notice all my tilesheets are divided in columns that are exactly 8 tiles large. So you just have to select the tiles you want to use, making sure you stick to the grid, then paste them on your blank tileset. To help you, keep the pink background, you'll be able to delete it after in RMXP and it perfectly follows the grid.

Once you pasted everything you needed, crop the tileset, then expand it x2 (so it's 256px large and matches the RMXP format). You can now import it on RMXP, and chose the pink background as transparency color.

Back