• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Creative Let's redesign shinies!

Mozart

Annoying Twit
So we all have a Pokemon that we love but unfortunately...they have a less than good shiny. I did a doodle project for friends a while back where they requested shinies they wanted redone, some colors (or left the colors to me) and I doodled up something for them. I figured it'd be in everyone's interests to do something like this by making a game out of it! You can participate by putting in your own doodle ideas for alternate shiny designs or putting forth an idea for someone else to do.

I'll start with my own (keep in mind these are just quick doodles):
O4JalYD.png
Fall color Leafeon shiny

owSGxAc.png
Inverted colors Garchomp shiny

9ElmgIA.png
Dragonite more similar to Dratini and Dragonair's shinies

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
9ElmgIA.png
Dragonite more similar to Dratini and Dragonair's shinies

Weird, I would have said make it a light bluish color, more like Dratini and Dragonair's normal colors. Realistically anything but moldy green works, though.

Mak

Edge Lord
I kinda already had this one lying around, but here's a redesigned Gastrodon, both forms. I can't doodle well enough to keep it out of sprite-form.

Pkz3Xla.png
NXm1Pre.png

This is actually based off of an old idea for North and South Gastrodon forms (which I made back when I was younger and extremely incompetent).
AoZ9ugT.png
Here's the original photo for proof. But, like, that was almost ten years ago when I had no spriting experience. It's okay for me to have been trash back then.

There actually wasn't any reasoning behind their colors, but a couple of weeks ago I did find a couple of seaslugs that lined up bizarrely well with them. Strange coincidence.
FcPe6HB.jpg
43520_medium.jpg

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Weird, I would have said make it a light bluish color, more like Dratini and Dragonair's normal colors. Realistically anything but moldy green works, though.

THAT...would be really cute too. Though I'm going to also admit right away I have difficulty distinguishing blue from purple from pink. When I'm not in bed with a cold I'll see how Dragonite looks blue!

Djaco75

MasterMind
I really like the Garchomp shiny. Garchomp is one of my fav Pokemon, so I wasn't happy with his shiny. I like the Dragonite shiny too, but I think that a bluish colour would have looked a bit better.

I like the shiny Gastrodons, I think they look cool. They sort of looked like swapped versions of each other, but either way, they still look good. If I was any good at art, I would contribute, but my art skills are horrible.

Can't wait to see what comes up next.------------------------I really like the Garchomp shiny. Garchomp is one of my fav Pokemon, so I wasn't happy with his shiny. I like the Dragonite shiny too, but I think that a bluish colour would have looked a bit better.

I like the shiny Gastrodons, I think they look cool. They sort of looked like swapped versions of each other, but either way, they still look good. If I was any good at art, I would contribute, but my art skills are horrible.

Can't wait to see what comes up next.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Ah ye, poor Gengar, being in the "I can barely tell the difference/someone just pulled up the brightness slider" category. I like the idea of him being pure black too with a redder shade to his eyes, so it's kind of like his Gen One (TM) sprite.

I think I just like the idea of there being more black shinies in general though (Meowth, Swanna, etc)

Edit: Also now that I'm not just on my cellphone tinking out half-asleep replies: I REALLY LIKE THESE SPRITE EDITS Y'ALL ARE DOING! Gastrodon looks cool and Gengar looks slick, they are true Gs right now (please forgive that stupid reference).

Djaco75

MasterMind
Oh my gosh that's adorable

And! Since I've evolved from in bed with a cold to at computer with a cold, shiny Dragonite in Dratini/Dragonair's regular colors:

VXT7HUi.png

I like this so much! I think it looks a lot better than the blue one, and it really improves it. My only concern is the red eyes - they don't look the best for a Pokemon as placid as Dragonite. However, everything looks really good.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Aha I literally eyedropped Dragonair's eyes for that, though you're right, cartoony black like Dratini's probably would have been better to make it look non-threatening. Let's blame sneezing on that for now.

Once more with feeling: Everything's all right when you're blue Dragonite!

D3g9E8l.png

Last edited:

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Man I would have never realized that Ekans and Arbox got the dreaded green/yellow shinies until you brought it up. Ekans looks pretty cool, and I like the touch of red eyes for Arbok there!

Hawky

Novice
Man I would have never realized that Ekans and Arbox got the dreaded green/yellow shinies until you brought it up. Ekans looks pretty cool, and I like the touch of red eyes for Arbok there!

Ekans's shiny always reminded me of that one episode where James bought a magikarp with a golden pokeball and meowth goes, IT'S JUST GOLD PLATED' XD

Also, to weigh in, charizard's pre line, what if they kept shiny charizards colors? I think it'd make it easier even more so in the later games, to tell when a Charmander is shiny I remember shiny hatching to get one in Y and having to check every one cause I couldn't tell from the normal orange ish color to the shiny yellow gold

Back