• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Welcome to PokéFriend Café! - A Café Game - Update v5.0

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
splash.png

"Welcome to PokéFriend Café!" is a game taking place in the world of Pokémon!
You are new to owning a café, trying to escape your old, boring life.
With over 80 Pokémon to meet and greet, become the best café owner you can be!
With many random events, each play-through will be unique!
Who knows, maybe you'll become a legendary café owner, and get the chance to meet rare and legendary Pokémon!

"Welcome to PokéFriend Café!" was made for the Relic Castle Game Jam 6 in 12 days, a record for RC!

What's there to do?:
In "Welcome to PokéFriend Café!" you'll be able to expend Action Points (AP) during the morning and night to do events that may reward you! You'll be able to meet some of your customers, or even rare Pokémon! And, rumor has it, if a certain Pokémon visits you at least ten times, you'll get a special gift!

During the evening, you work at your café, where you'll serve Pokémon their orders! With each order comes a scenario you must navigate through! Think before you act!
Each Pokémon has their own unique taste preferences, so if you use a berry, try to appeal to their tastes! It's your job to figure out what they like and don't like.

As you rank up, you'll have more Pokémon visit you! Another rumor heard around the café-sphere is that some rare and possibly legendary Pokémon will visit when you become VERY popular!

There is an ending to the game, though that doesn't mean you can't play anymore.

Game Screenshots:
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

Game Download (v5.0)
NOTE: IF UPDATING FROM A v1.x VERSION, PLEASE MAKE A NEW SAVE FILE!

Patch Notes:

v5.0:
*Fixed many text errors
*Fixed bug with Chimecho
*Added text to indicate when Chimecho doesn't have anything for you
*Added a password in mail for Etherean Dreams
*Added two new Technical Stats, Night Visitor and Partners

v4.x

v4.0:
*Added a new partner, Chimecho, with the skill Gifter, which, when starting the day, you have a chance to be able to pay Chimecho to give you a random item.
*Added 1 new Pokémon that can visit your Café
*Added a new option in the Pause Menu to instantly go to the Café door during the morning, and to your room during the night.
*Decreased the amount of Flower Visits needed to trigger the Flower event downtown.
*Added important information accidentally left out relating to Berries. This can be viewed on your computer's mail
*Added text when getting new partners that explain the partner's skill so you don't need to switch to them to see it.
*Fixed errors with 2nd Bookshelf

v3.x

v3.1:
*Fixed some glitches

v3.0:
*Added new furniture (tables and bookshelves)
*Added 3 new Pokémon that can visit your Café
*Added story besides Karen that shows the relationship between your character and your family
*Added a redemption "ark" for a certain event NPC
*Fixes to some text errors

v2.x

v2.5:
*Added Pokémon Partners, with there being 4 in game currently
*Added more exposition relating to the main character (Half done!)
*Added events that teach you recipes and such
*Added useful emails to teach you about certain things
*Instead of talking about recipes, bookshelves allow you to increase your Wisdom
*Added "Technical Stats" menu, giving you a better look at some statistics
*Fixed multiple errors

v2.0:
*Added 5 new Pokémon
*Added a new recipe, Cheesecake, and a new ingredient, Cream Cheese
*Added the option to change the music played in the Café via Catalog
*Fixed multiple errors
*Made game run slightly smoother
*Added event introducing speed-up

v1.x

v1.4:
*Fixed multiple errors

v1.3:
*Fixed multiple errors

v1.2:
*Fixed multiple errors
*Added accessories
*Added a 6th rank
*Added Achievement Room (Unlocked at 6th rank)
*Balanced ranking up

v1.1:
*Fixed errors with ordering ingredients, berries, and ads
*Fixed errors cooking
*Fixed an error where the player would get softlocked after a certain amount of reputation was earned
*Added a Fast Forward mode (F)

Resource Pack

Credits:
Graphics:
Me, acetraineravery
Evolina
Phyromatical
Zeo
The Red Ex
19Dante19
Alistair
Flurmimon
KyleDove
Zerudez
TheGreatBlaid
Newtiteuf
Princess-Phoenix
AtomicReactor
Magiscarf
sagedeoxys
Larryturbo
2and2makes5
TyranitarDark
Nintendoplz
DiegoWT

Scripts:
Yuri Nuri
Marin

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

Other:
GameFreak

Made Using RPG Maker XP

Last edited:

Nomi

Trainer
Henry the absolute legend releasing an epic game. Good job man, looks super cool!
Thank you Luxie!! ^^

Also, to everybody, I found some glitches in the game I didn’t notice earlier so I’ll be updating it later today! Also, I’ll add something new to incentivize it~ ^^

First jam game submitted! Nice!!

I've got a bug report, on day...I think 16? I went Downtown before opening the cafe, and randomly found a shop run by a Jigglypuff. It sold me a Planter for $100, but after that I got caught in a loop of this:
ONmUKNR.gif

I let it play for awhile to see if one of my stats would level up and break the loop but nah. I saw Shiny Yampers and Milotic though!
Edit: I got the planter shop event again, and refusing to buy it also causes a loop, just slightly different; the meet like above, then the shop, refusing again causes the meet and then the shop...

I'm liking the game so far but most of the mechanics seem really obscured. Like, you don't learn any recipes unless you:
  1. Play long enough to buy furniture
  2. Earn enough money to buy a bookcase
  3. Use the bookcase and read the cookbook

It's a minor thing, and some orders are self explanatory (Coffee Grounds= Coffee, Tea Leafs= Tea) but for things like sandwiches, which have multiple ingredients? Or parfaits, which uh, tbh I forgot what those are and looked them up; yogurt isn't obvious as the default ingredient.
3tYkf7T.png

Similarly with the stats, they're so obscure in both what they do and how they're raised that it feels like flavor text than something that's actually affecting my gameplay. It'd be nice to see a progress bar, or have more things like the broom that let me work on a specific stat? Same also goes for money, I don't know where to view how much I have on hand, and getting paid more/less for the quality of my job doesn't have an impact because I have no idea how much I'm getting or I normally get paid.

Oh, one last bug, a couple times the variable didn't work quite right while I was cooking, it might be a choice menu issue?

XNDihkF.png
mLtFRdX.png

I am enjoying the game though and want to see more of the little story bits. The core gameplay is really charming! I really wanna keep playing untill I get to see some of my stats taking effect!

Last edited:

Nomi

Trainer
First jam game submitted! Nice!!

I've got a bug report, on day...I think 16? I went Downtown before opening the cafe, and randomly found a shop run by a Jigglypuff. It sold me a Planter for $100, but after that I got caught in a loop of this:
ONmUKNR.gif

I let it play for awhile to see if one of my stats would level up and break the loop but nah. I saw Shiny Yampers and Milotic though!
Edit: I got the planter shop event again, and refusing to buy it also causes a loop, just slightly different; the meet like above, then the shop, refusing again causes the meet and then the shop...

I'm liking the game so far but most of the mechanics seem really obscured. Like, you don't learn any recipes unless you:
  1. Play long enough to buy furniture
  2. Earn enough money to buy a bookcase
  3. Use the bookcase and read the cookbook

It's a minor thing, and some orders are self explanatory (Coffee Grounds= Coffee, Tea Leafs= Tea) but for things like sandwiches, which have multiple ingredients? Or parfaits, which uh, tbh I forgot what those are and looked them up; yogurt isn't obvious as the default ingredient.
3tYkf7T.png

Similarly with the stats, they're so obscure in both what they do and how they're raised that it feels like flavor text than something that's actually affecting my gameplay. It'd be nice to see a progress bar, or have more things like the broom that let me work on a specific stat? Same also goes for money, I don't know where to view how much I have on hand, and getting paid more/less for the quality of my job doesn't have an impact because I have no idea how much I'm getting or I normally get paid.

Oh, one last bug, a couple times the variable didn't work quite right while I was cooking, it might be a choice menu issue?

XNDihkF.png
mLtFRdX.png

I am enjoying the game though and want to see more of the little story bits. The core gameplay is really charming! I really wanna keep playing untill I get to see some of my stats taking effect!

Ty for your review! I fixed a lot of those glitches throughout v1.2-v1.3, but if you find any more, feel free to tell me! ^^ Also, when I release the next "big" version update, I'll make sure to make it easier to learn the recipes!

I started a new playthrough on version 2 and got about 50 days in, so I've got a couple suggestions!
I really love the concept of this game and found the simple repetitiveness really addicting, but I think what it's lacking overall is a sense of progression. I can really feel that after about 30 days when the cafe has a full reputation, there's not really another step up or a goal to aim for.
At the 35+ day phase, there's a weird place where I've bought all the furniture, levelled up at least one stat, gotten the planter and probably the figurine...and then I'm left expecting the next thing. Since the planter was a random secret shop unlock, at first I thought it would be another item like that, or maybe even another planter first since there's space on the wall. And with the stats, there's allways been foreshadowing at what they're needed for but...now being able to read maps and swim in the ocean don't really feel like big payoffs when they've been teased for so long.

So, some ideas/suggestions that would add more progression to the game:
  • Let the player learn recipes! I think this would be especially great if the new recipes used the same base ingredients, so there would be like 3 different foods that the player would grab Moomoo Milk for.
  • This one I'm a little less sure of but, you could stretch out the game's progression by nerfing the beginning a bit. If the cafe opens with only the dry shelf food, then buying the fridge and being able to store/unlock all those ingredients would be a huge stepping stone for the player.
  • Another planter please! And eventually other items that let the player replenish ingredients over time? Not sure all of them would work (like canned soup...) but there could be a couple things like buying some dough for cheap and popping it in the oven untill it's bready
  • Because the "help someone downtown with their map" gets built up, have the eventual fulfillment of that be something special, like maybe their map leads to an exclusive rare shop and they take the player to it
  • Same for finally swimming in the ocean, maybe something like the player finds and unlocks a seafood ingredient
  • What if Zoroark normally stole more money, but eventually less money when the player's Guts were higher? IDK about this one as it might be too punishing early on, but money isn't usually an issue
  • More characters like Karen who have some kind of progression/arc, like speaking of Zoroark maybe after so many thefts it could change its' ways, or become a regular at the cafe and then feel conflicted about stealing from the player, or maybe even if the player's Wisdom was high enough they could convince Zoroark to not steal (at least this time). Also Ming The Alley Witch Espurr, if I spray her enough times is she gonna come back for revenge or...
  • If you wanted to hammer home the theme of escape, maybe add in some character(s) from the protagonist's past, or add more to the relationship with Mom
  • More furniture or furniture styles would be super cute and a great money sink
  • Does the mail on the PC really get used? It'd be cool if there was a reason to check it, like maybe sometimes there's coupons for a certain ingredient, or a restaurant reviewer wants to setup a meeting (get their order wrong and take a big hit to the reputation maybe?), or just Karen sending the player mail like she does with phonecalls
  • Customers eventually ordering a couple things at a time, or maybe asking specifically for berries to be added
Sorry if that's too much n_n; I got really excited about cafe game ideas! I know with the game jam deadline it's not plausible to do a ton of edits whether you like the ideas or not, I just wanted to share some of what I'd been thinking about.

Nomi

Trainer
I started a new playthrough on version 2 and got about 50 days in, so I've got a couple suggestions!
I really love the concept of this game and found the simple repetitiveness really addicting, but I think what it's lacking overall is a sense of progression. I can really feel that after about 30 days when the cafe has a full reputation, there's not really another step up or a goal to aim for.
At the 35+ day phase, there's a weird place where I've bought all the furniture, levelled up at least one stat, gotten the planter and probably the figurine...and then I'm left expecting the next thing. Since the planter was a random secret shop unlock, at first I thought it would be another item like that, or maybe even another planter first since there's space on the wall. And with the stats, there's allways been foreshadowing at what they're needed for but...now being able to read maps and swim in the ocean don't really feel like big payoffs when they've been teased for so long.

So, some ideas/suggestions that would add more progression to the game:
  • Let the player learn recipes! I think this would be especially great if the new recipes used the same base ingredients, so there would be like 3 different foods that the player would grab Moomoo Milk for.
  • This one I'm a little less sure of but, you could stretch out the game's progression by nerfing the beginning a bit. If the cafe opens with only the dry shelf food, then buying the fridge and being able to store/unlock all those ingredients would be a huge stepping stone for the player.
  • Another planter please! And eventually other items that let the player replenish ingredients over time? Not sure all of them would work (like canned soup...) but there could be a couple things like buying some dough for cheap and popping it in the oven untill it's bready
  • Because the "help someone downtown with their map" gets built up, have the eventual fulfillment of that be something special, like maybe their map leads to an exclusive rare shop and they take the player to it
  • Same for finally swimming in the ocean, maybe something like the player finds and unlocks a seafood ingredient
  • What if Zoroark normally stole more money, but eventually less money when the player's Guts were higher? IDK about this one as it might be too punishing early on, but money isn't usually an issue
  • More characters like Karen who have some kind of progression/arc, like speaking of Zoroark maybe after so many thefts it could change its' ways, or become a regular at the cafe and then feel conflicted about stealing from the player, or maybe even if the player's Wisdom was high enough they could convince Zoroark to not steal (at least this time). Also Ming The Alley Witch Espurr, if I spray her enough times is she gonna come back for revenge or...
  • If you wanted to hammer home the theme of escape, maybe add in some character(s) from the protagonist's past, or add more to the relationship with Mom
  • More furniture or furniture styles would be super cute and a great money sink
  • Does the mail on the PC really get used? It'd be cool if there was a reason to check it, like maybe sometimes there's coupons for a certain ingredient, or a restaurant reviewer wants to setup a meeting (get their order wrong and take a big hit to the reputation maybe?), or just Karen sending the player mail like she does with phonecalls
  • Customers eventually ordering a couple things at a time, or maybe asking specifically for berries to be added
Sorry if that's too much n_n; I got really excited about cafe game ideas! I know with the game jam deadline it's not plausible to do a ton of edits whether you like the ideas or not, I just wanted to share some of what I'd been thinking about.
tysm for the suggestions! ill take them into account for the next update >:3 EDIT: forgot to mention but you CAN have a chance to get random items from Karen in the beginning of the day at Rank 5 or above!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aki

Nomi

Trainer
Updated PokéFriend Café to v4.0! Here are the Patch Notes! (Also viewable in the Patch Notes section.)

*Added a new partner, Chimecho, with the skill Gifter, which, when starting the day, you have a chance to be able to pay Chimecho to give you a random item.
*Added 1 new Pokémon that can visit your Café
*Added a new option in the Pause Menu to instantly go to the Café door during the morning, and to your room during the night.
*Decreased the amount of Flower Visits needed to trigger the Flower event downtown.
*Added important information accidentally left out relating to Berries. This can be viewed on your computer's mail
*Added text when getting new partners that explain the partner's skill so you don't need to switch to them to see it.
*Fixed errors with 2nd Bookshelf

Nomi

Trainer
Updated PokéFriend Café to v5.0, most likely the final version before the Game Jam ends. Thank you all so much for supporting this project! ^^

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
Hello!

PokeFriend cafe was a warm, friendly, inviting experience, that was very charming in how it was presented. I enjoyed the different random events, and how excited I would get to see which new pokemon would be coming into my cafe or robbing me in the streets at night.

I would definiely echo what Aki says in her post above, she certainly hits the nail on the head when it comes to cafe games like this. It's hard to balance that sense of progression...at the beginning especially, things felt a bit like a grind, especially with one pokemon coming in a day, not knowing really what flavors they liked, and barely making a profit because you're spending the money you earned on more ingredients. Additionally I'd say a lot of the events during food preparation seem to be set up to harm you--I'd challenge you to have more random events happen that can positively effect the player, to put an extra smile on a player's face...because it did get discouraging for me to continue to mess up orders day in and day out.

With that said, I enjoyed playing the game--it was a very unique experience especially for pokemon fangames, and I cant wait to see what you come up with next!

SorrowDivine

Rookie
Hey there!

I just finally got to play the first of the Game Jam Games :3

This game is so lovely, and I really enjoyed it, especially the little events that can happen inbetween the baking :3
Ngl, I sucked at knowing what Pokemon likes which berries, so it was pure luck, if they liked the stuff I made them or not.
And for sure, I won't become a famous baker, cause I kept making wrong decisions when things happened during a work day, but the Game is very addicting, and even tho it seems repetitive, you don't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again, cause the little differences each day!

Really great Game Henry, keep up the good work :3

Nomi

Trainer
Hey there!

I just finally got to play the first of the Game Jam Games :3

This game is so lovely, and I really enjoyed it, especially the little events that can happen inbetween the baking :3
Ngl, I sucked at knowing what Pokemon likes which berries, so it was pure luck, if they liked the stuff I made them or not.
And for sure, I won't become a famous baker, cause I kept making wrong decisions when things happened during a work day, but the Game is very addicting, and even tho it seems repetitive, you don't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again, cause the little differences each day!

Really great Game Henry, keep up the good work :3
tysm!! ;;

PokeBoy1238

Discord: PokeGuy1238 #3086
I downloaded v5.0 but the folder says v4.0. So is there a way to check the version?

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
unlike your avatar, this isnt a Trubbish game. (had to make that joke. lol) i really like the concept and i'm sure to enjoy it.

The concept behind this game reminded me of Vendily's Pokémon Daycare from last year's jam, and that isn't a bad thing. I'm glad I got to see another type of management-esque game, because it's so different from the usual battling-with-Pokémon type of game. It was refreshing to see your take on a Café-management game, and I loved the feeling I got when I jumped into the game. Not everything is explained directly, which is both good and slightly annoying; I want to be able to explore what the game has to offer myself, at my own pace, but I also don't want to be completely in the dark as to what all the different statistics mean, and what the goal of the game is.

One thing I ran into rather quickly was repetition. Every day and night is the same, and it becomes a routine after the first few days when everything has been explored. Ranking up doesn't really change or unlock much, and so you're still stuck doing the same things over and over and over again. After about an hour I'd seen everything so many times that I called it quits.

Nevertheless, the little dialogue pieces when going out, as well as the different types of events that could occur while preparing food/drinks were a lot of fun to explore, and might have counteracted the repetitiveness from the overall routine if there had been more of them, or if the same scenes/events had some variation internally (e.g. the oven catching on fire and calling the fire department not always having the same result).

Furthermore, the skill points, nor the partners, made a noticeable difference. After an hour most of my skills were still about 15-20, and higher ranks requiring 25, 50, and more up to 1000, really didn't motivate me to play up to that point, given how long I projected that would have taken.

Overall, the concept behind the game was great, but I believe with more time, the repetition could have been tackled a little better to overall make the game enjoyable for a longer period of time.

Nomi

Trainer
The concept behind this game reminded me of Vendily's Pokémon Daycare from last year's jam, and that isn't a bad thing. I'm glad I got to see another type of management-esque game, because it's so different from the usual battling-with-Pokémon type of game. It was refreshing to see your take on a Café-management game, and I loved the feeling I got when I jumped into the game. Not everything is explained directly, which is both good and slightly annoying; I want to be able to explore what the game has to offer myself, at my own pace, but I also don't want to be completely in the dark as to what all the different statistics mean, and what the goal of the game is.

One thing I ran into rather quickly was repetition. Every day and night is the same, and it becomes a routine after the first few days when everything has been explored. Ranking up doesn't really change or unlock much, and so you're still stuck doing the same things over and over and over again. After about an hour I'd seen everything so many times that I called it quits.

Nevertheless, the little dialogue pieces when going out, as well as the different types of events that could occur while preparing food/drinks were a lot of fun to explore, and might have counteracted the repetitiveness from the overall routine if there had been more of them, or if the same scenes/events had some variation internally (e.g. the oven catching on fire and calling the fire department not always having the same result).

Furthermore, the skill points, nor the partners, made a noticeable difference. After an hour most of my skills were still about 15-20, and higher ranks requiring 25, 50, and more up to 1000, really didn't motivate me to play up to that point, given how long I projected that would have taken.

Overall, the concept behind the game was great, but I believe with more time, the repetition could have been tackled a little better to overall make the game enjoyable for a longer period of time.
ty for the feedback mar! i'll make sure to take it into consideration for the sequel ^^

RandomAnimootNetwork

Rookie
I really liked the game! It's fun and adorable.

I am only asking because of the resouce pack link, can we use resources from the game if we properly credit!

P-Plum

Rookie
I love this game! It's so cute!

There is a small issue with the flowerpot when you recieve it from a Pokémon. The priority doesn't seem to be set correctly.
cr7V64h.png

Back