• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Apathy

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Pokémon Apathy
August 2023 - Update Notes
To give myself a mental break from my main projects, I decided to update Apathy to Version 20 of Essentials. I also touched up the graphics and poured in some more quality of life additions. Everything is still public to use. However, I will keep up the resource pack from the original jam version.

February 2020 - Original Notes
Here’s my entry for RC’s Winter Jam! It was a fun run to make, although I pulled some pretty late nights to have it finished on time for playtesting to be done. Pokémon Apathy is far from a traditional Pokémon game. But because this is just a Jam project, and not something longer, I don’t have to worry as much. It’s short, it’s experimental, and hopefully you enjoy playing it as much as I did making it.

Plot
In the idyllic beach town of Serendipity Bay, you play as Nadia. Her main goals include staying indoors and avoiding other people. Unfortunately for Nadia, there always seems to be some problem or another that only she can resolve.

Features
  1. Questing System: A fast and easy way to keep track of what you should be doing.
  2. Crafting System: Craft to make money and items related to sidequests.
  3. Trainer Grinding System: A quick way to boost your levels.
  4. Caring System: The colours of the world change the more involved in it you are.
  5. Anti-Friendship System: You cannot make your relationships with certain characters better, only slightly less worse.

Screenshots - Updated Version
utcz0nS.png

Screenshots - Legacy Version
fBq7eIw.gif

E1omjnK.gif

Z82sjJm.gif

Downloads
Mediafire - Updated Version

Google Drive - Legacy Version

Resource Pack - Google Drive - Legacy Version

Guides
Google Sheets

Credits
Audio
Vovo
ZharK
iteachvader
Yoni Arousement
Youtube Playlist for Soundtrack

Graphics
ajnitro
Ardrot
aveontrainer
Deathbringer
DerxwnaKapsyla
FocasLens
jdaster64
Jelo
kyledove
Magiscarf
Michael
MollyChan
Piratic Octopus
Pokemon Dawn
Pokémon Reborn Team
Pokémon Rejuvination Team
puggsoy
redblueyellow
seiyouh
Slimshady
Space Emotion
The Generation 9 Project
thewilddeadhero
Welsey FG
Zein

Scripts
Amethyst
Boonzeet
Caruban
derFischa
DerxwnaKapsyla
Diego Mertins
Ekat
ENLS
FL
JessWishes
kcgcrazy
Kurotsune
Lucidious89
Marin
Maruno
mej71
Michael
Moyo
NettoHikari
Mr. Gela
Phantombass
seth_Angel
TheKrazyGamer
thepsynergist
ThatWelshOne_
Vendily
Wolfpp

Pokémon Essentials Contributors
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas
Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O.
Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga

Playtesters & QA
Chase
Michael
Scyl

Meta and Battle Designs
Michael

World's Best Boyfriend
Michael

World's Best Girlfriend
Josie (Ekat)

Game Director
Ekat

Last edited:
I thought this was suppossed to be a little jam but honestly it still has all the hallmarks I expect to see from an Ekat game:
>Immediately enticing the player with a mystery
>Amazing attention to detail with the custom animations, sprites, tiles, and battle graphics
>Jazzy music
>An environment as compact and lively as an ant farm

I love the artistic choice of how the color/lack of color is used. It adds a lot of depth to a character I otherwise found pretty unpleasant. I've gotta say though, I straight up can't see at some points because of the lack of contrast.
I think it's valid to make the player feel a bit frustrated and have them struggle, that's just one of the advantages of games as a medium making the player really connect with the world and its' characters. I dunno how much of this is intentional though so I'm just gonna point out the Options menu, which does not show which options/settings you currently have. There's just no difference between what's currently highlighted/selected and what isn't.

A9a4CMP.png
TmS2Wud.gif
yp1Xd3G.png

These are all from the same section, where the contrast issues were getting in the way to the point that I got stuck and had to stop. Basically to anyone picking up the game I recommend playing at a larger screen size. Because while it might be a pain it is definitely worth the play.

AngelusMortis

Novice
Please disregard the original post of mine. Was for before I finished the game. Now that I have, I enjoyed my time with Apathy.

I would list a few things I liked about this game.

The colors returning to the world the further you progress is definitely one neat af concept. I really like how it is executed.

Crafting items to either progress the story or make money is an interesting concept, though I will admit it took me a hot minute to find the crafting table. Lol!

The way that the mandatory map was used is cool. I love the look and feel of it, from the map itself to the events used in it.

I did find a couple errors/bugs/ect I would like to share with you as well.

The Buizel has an additional movement set in the move route, causing it to get stuck eventually.

During the prologue, you can stand on the mailboxes and the Pokemon following you will move to the exact same tile as you. I'm guess part of this is simply a passage error, as the mailboxes are the same throughout the game.

I'd force the player to retreat with a script check when encountering double battles and they aren't smart enough to go back to revive their party, like myself. Lol!

Job well down, Ekat. Hope to see more work like this from you in the future.

Please disregard the original post of mine. Was for before I finished the game. Now that I have, I enjoyed my time with Apathy.

I would list a few things I liked about this game.

The colors returning to the world the further you progress is definitely one neat af concept. I really like how it is executed.

Crafting items to either progress the story or make money is an interesting concept, though I will admit it took me a hot minute to find the crafting table. Lol!

The way that the mandatory map was used is cool. I love the look and feel of it, from the map itself to the events used in it.

I did find a couple errors/bugs/ect I would like to share with you as well.

The Buizel has an additional movement set in the move route, causing it to get stuck eventually.

During the prologue, you can stand on the mailboxes and the Pokemon following you will move to the exact same tile as you. I'm guess part of this is simply a passage error, as the mailboxes are the same throughout the game.

I'd force the player to retreat with a script check when encountering double battles and they aren't smart enough to go back to revive their party, like myself. Lol!

Job well down, Ekat. Hope to see more work like this from you in the future.

Thanks! I've uploaded the latest version of the game!

PhantomTheEevee

Member of the Aether Foundation
Really enjoying your game so far, it has such a wonderful attention to details, music and you nicely made it to keep me hooked to the story and solving what's up with that meteorite that's totally not interesting or important. ^o^

I discovered some errors with the scripts that I wanted to let you know off:
During the quest to fight some virtual Trainers in the Simulation with Cygnus during the Emergency, I constantly get the error that the script is hanging, after hitting 'Okay' the game closes itself and I resume it from the battle against the virtual Trainer that caused the scripts to hang. This has not happened the first time I entered the Simulation with Cygnus, but it does so frequently during the Emercency Arc, which makes it very hard and basically to progress.

Michael

That One Guy
Really enjoying your game so far, it has such a wonderful attention to details, music and you nicely made it to keep me hooked to the story and solving what's up with that meteorite that's totally not interesting or important. ^o^

I discovered some errors with the scripts that I wanted to let you know off:
During the quest to fight some virtual Trainers in the Simulation with Cygnus during the Emergency, I constantly get the error that the script is hanging, after hitting 'Okay' the game closes itself and I resume it from the battle against the virtual Trainer that caused the scripts to hang. This has not happened the first time I entered the Simulation with Cygnus, but it does so frequently during the Emercency Arc, which makes it very hard and basically to progress.
Usually script hanging is an error that comes from a user's computer itself being bogged down by the processes themselves, rather than the game. Did you try changing the colour and fighting a different trainer? They all do the same thing anyway.

bravestbat

Pokémon Fuso's Meteor...autumn 2024 release!
I've been watching gameplay of this, and it's pretty great so far! Good stuff.

Aurora

Trainer
Hi, nice game. I'm playing it right now. I just won the child at the beach. It ends soon or it has much more? Bc it stucks.. this pc is slow, I ll try large screen not full

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
Damn...amazing game and I love how we kinda adopt a child here XD This is my favorite trope

Beat the game and now I'm playing to get the 'true' ending so can't say much for the real ending but the game is just fulfilling. Your games are great because they are unique and you showed it here too lol It has great gameplay rotating around sidequests and a story that really pulls you in, even tho you can only have 4 pokemon the battles are still fun.

Long story short I recommend it if you want something short but very nice lol

YoshiyaMinamimoto

Rookie
Beautifull game! It was so well done, im sad i didnt found it earlier haha
Really loved the history, the events, how the community was charming and how the game was executed! The screen changing colors depending on your feelings was a really nice touch, made it so different from any other game. The gameplay was enjoyable too! Thank every one of you for this, it was such a good experience <3

I gave a lot of my thoughts on stream when I played it, however just to reiterate and write out some of it:

Hands down an amazing game, and so much meatier than I expected (by meatier I mean more content). This feels insane for a jam game.
The whole concept of the game's world being filled with colour as you progress, and maybe the set backs that occur depending on your state of mind, it feels amazing and is really beautiful. Being able to see the world in full colour at the end was stellar. The game's length really helps contribute to this in my opinion, because the longer length of time in each state, slowly slowly getting more colourful, makes it feel that much more worth it at the end.

Also on the note of the playtime, despite being a longer game (and I really suck at playing longer fangames) the story kept me fully engrossed throughout despite being set in only 1 small beachside town. Which I find crazy????????????? I don't know how you pulled it off, but you did. I think a lot of it comes from your writing, your humorous (but serious when it needed to be) writing kept me fully entertained.

Some favourite tidbits of mine
-The secret message to a boy in your life when inserting the corrupted hard drive. That was so cute and a nice easter egg <3
-The dialogue when talking to the meteorite after beating the game, calling out at deoxys to come out and fight
-The mandatory fake-out bad ending, that really caused a lot of emotions for me, and probably a lot of other players. A proper rollercoaster which made achieving max friendship that much more special
-The special effects when inserting the hard drive looked super cool

What a truly spectacular game. I will have to play Nightshade soon :P

Trixx

Rookie
I LOVED THE GAME
it was a really beautiful concept and was executed perfectly. As someone who usually play longer games, this one was honesly refreshing and interesting.

Back