• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Resource Multiple Protagonists v5.0.0

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
NettoHikari submitted a new resource:

Multiple Protagonists - Plug-and-play script to add multiple player characters

Hi everyone, I've made a (mostly) plug-and-play script that allows you to add up to 8 player characters to your game, each with their own distinct character data, like Pokemon, Bag, money, etc. I've detailed everything I can at the top of the script itself, so if you have any questions then that would be a great place to look first before asking me.

If you notice any bugs, please don't hesitate to tell me! I want to make this as bug-free as possible. I hope you find this script useful!

Read more about this resource...

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
This is not something I would have thought of trying, but not that you mention it I could think of a few ways to use it. Neat!

PDM20

Coder of Chaos!
found this while trying to find a proper Zygarde form script, but I'm experimenting with this script and I can't seem to set player names to the new protags I switch to using a call script. Like, swap to another Protag and have it have a pre assigned name without the player choosing for them, character 2 with name of Nathan. any help on this?

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
If you're switching to a new character with a predefined name, you would use:
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
pbSwitchCharacter(character_id, "TRAINER NAME")
I mentioned how to set the protagonist's name in "List of Functions" section at the top of the script, make sure to read that first if you have any questions. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

PDM20

Coder of Chaos!
I Did read it, but it never mentioned "TRAINER NAME" and had Name = Nil in the set up. never found an example to base off. thanks for the help

PDM20

Coder of Chaos!
you might be happy to know that this works on version 16.2 also. not sure if you knew this but it helps to know this anyways

PDM20

Coder of Chaos!
I've tested and seen this in essentials before. it's possible to set a players current party to a variable or switch(I can't remember which one), change the party to another characters team, and call upon that command to give the player back their party(Best demonstration of this I've seen is in the latest version of Pokemon Rejuvenation). not sure if this fits here but could it be possible to use this or some extension of that system to set a battle against the player character? I've seen a battle against the players party in an old rom hack called Glazed for a legendary event

PDM20

Coder of Chaos!
I'm getting a 'You are the only character' message when starting the game as female, swapping to male via event, then using the menu command to swap back. not sure why tho

EDIT: Found a hot fix, don't worry about it.

Last edited:

TeGinger

Big man on campus
Love the idea and the script! However I keep getting the same error.

[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]
Exception: NoMethodError
MultipleProtagonists:482:in `gsubPN'
MultipleProtagonists:481:in `each'
MultipleProtagonists:481:in `gsubPN'
PScreen_Load:74:in `refresh'
PScreen_Load:16:in `initialize'
PScreen_Load:129:in `new'
PScreen_Load:129:in `pbStartScene'
PScreen_Load:128:in `each'
PScreen_Load:128:in `pbStartScene'

Am I missing something? I can be pretty clumsy when it comes to editing.

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
Love the idea and the script! However I keep getting the same error.

[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]
Exception: NoMethodError
MultipleProtagonists:482:in `gsubPN'
MultipleProtagonists:481:in `each'
MultipleProtagonists:481:in `gsubPN'
PScreen_Load:74:in `refresh'
PScreen_Load:16:in `initialize'
PScreen_Load:129:in `new'
PScreen_Load:129:in `pbStartScene'
PScreen_Load:128:in `each'
PScreen_Load:128:in `pbStartScene'

Am I missing something? I can be pretty clumsy when it comes to editing.
Delete your old save file and try running it again, essentially it won't run when it's trying to load a save that didn't have this script before.

TeGinger

Big man on campus
Delete your old save file and try running it again, essentially it won't run when it's trying to load a save that didn't have this script before.
And there we go! Many thanks and keep up the good work! I can't wait to be able to set up fights between my protagonists.

Back