• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Droea Explorea

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
splash.png

Pokémon Droea Explorea
In Pokémon Droea Explorea, travel around Droea Island at the behest of Kaeni Wilfort and the Devon Corporation, to explore and capture over 100 new regional variants of familiar Pokémon. Challenge other trainers on the island to increase your skill, or to prove it.

capture003.bmp

capture002.bmp

capture000.bmp
capture001.bmp
capture005.bmp
capture004.bmp
Game Download: https://mega.nz/#!tO5TwRQb!LyFjvkLLWBY52BZeJ1vLX2JIZ9P0xePVdX2UJ6I0RN4

Made Using: Pokémon Essentials

Team: Just me, Kaleidophoenix

Notes: A number of the Droean Variants have different evolution methods than their base forms. Some have had their evolution level lowered, like Slugma, while others now interact with items in different ways, like Happiny, who doesn't need it, or Duosion, who now does. There are no evolutions that need trades, specific locations, or moves learned to evolve.

The Dream Capsule by Rot8er ConeX item has two bugs that I was unable to resolve. First, if the Pokémon does not have a separate DW ability, then it crashes the game. Any Pokémon with Levitate, the Koffing and Duskull lines, and all Legendaries, do not have DW abilities. Second, it does not display the Pokémon's DW ability before the item is used, instead displaying its current ability. As there is no way to reverse giving a Pokémon its DW ability in the game, I recommend saving before using the item.

There is a speed up function! Just press 'v' to cycle through the speed up stages.

Resource Pack: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/231/

Lava autotile by Stargazer Sammie, edited by Kaleidophoenix
Ice Tiles by Phyromatical, zetavares852, EVoLiNa, and Alexa 88
Interior Tileset from Spinda94
HGSS Character Sprites ripped by Dragoon, edited by Kaleidophoenix
Underwater Tiles by Kyle-Dove and rayd12smitty
Level Scaling Code by thor348
Player Character Back sprites derived from rips by Solink
Platinum sprites from Spaceemotion
HM Item script by Marin
Dewpider/Araquanid from Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 7 Abilities from Pokecommunity Thread
Original Primal Groudon by leparagon, edited by Kaleidophoenix
Original Primal Kyogre by trainersplash, edited by Kaleidophoenix
Original Mega Rayquaza by destvol, edited by Kaleidophoenix
Gen 7 icons from TheCraigadile
Steven battle sprite by crueldude100
Party Replacement Script by Jonas930
Dream Capsule by Rot8er ConeX
Base Game from Pokémon Essentials, by Maruno and others
Inspiration from Relic Castle, Thundaga

Last edited:

WolfShadowWhisper

Just a wolf that loves the shadows on a hot day :)
So far I am really enjoying your game. I must say the changes to the Pokemon made it challenging and exciting. The art of the game is beautiful, I love the Totodile and Slugma art (But sorry Happiny is now one ugly-looking Pokemon lol). I also enjoy the quests/minigames that you get on the upper floor. I am not finish with the game but so far I want to congratulate you on creating a great game, one of my personal favourites. Well, I have caught16 Pokemon so far, so it is back to the game for me. Keep it up! I want to see more games by you, you have impressed me!

I'm still organizing my notes for a proper post, but I wanted to mention this crash.
AQaIenM.png

This trainer here can be battled normally, and after the battle she says another line, but then this error pops up and the game crashes:
tPsUyBU.png

Looks like there's just a small spelling error in there.

Kaleidophoenix

Novice
Pokémon Droea Explorea Version 1.1 is out!

https://mega.nz/#!tO5TwRQb!LyFjvkLLWBY52BZeJ1vLX2JIZ9P0xePVdX2UJ6I0RN4

Fixed trainer error on Droea Trail
Minor Map fixes
Minor Trainer fixes
Dive now HM as item script did not work
Fixed TM learnset for Ekans/Arbok and Sigilyph
Fixed audio issues.
Changed name from Pokemon Essentials to Pokemon Droea Explorea (So any saved data will be lost between versions. Sorry about that.)

It's buggy and needs polishing, but I like this game and had a lot of fun discovering the pokemon in it. It looks like most of the variat forms are recolors? But I can tell the pokedex entries are new, and the movesets plus the TM compatibility are both in, so they feel good to play with even if they don't allways look different. That said, I love some of the designs like Koffing and Natu! Seeing stuff like recolored Surskit evolve into a more designed Masquerain was really cool too!

So, I like how quick the intro is to get the gameplay started. However at the same time there's not a ton of explanation about specific goals, or how this group is suppossed to work. Like I know I need to fill out the pokedex, but it would be nice to know what the next goal is before I'll get a reward. I also don't understand why I'm not allowed to buy Pokeballs...this seems to be against the goal of catching everything, and the Pokeballs I am given aren't particularly helpful? Why are Safari balls in this game?

Anyway I think one of the strengths and weaknesses of this game are the characters. They're great because there's a lot of them and so many trainers have actual things to say instead of just a quick line before and after a battle. The weakness is the number of characters, because there are not only the "professor" and "rival" characters, but they nickname all of their pokemon, and several other trainers are unique and have nicknamed teams as well. Those details are cute in theory, but for me it complicates things when I try to keep track of everyone who was unique enough to feel important.

Also maybe this is a feature, considering I don't know how to get a couple of these otherwise, but I thought I'd point this out just in case. If you don't want the player to pick up items from places like this, just add a conditional branch that checks if the player if facing a certain direction, and prevent the item from being picked up in that case.
XCKvCGu.png
ijXJtxK.png

ylrtRJw.png

HzlHGAx.png

AAfBvY4.png

dScbWTS.png

Back