• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Berry Hunt

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
AIXQb1Z.png

Game Title:
Pokémon Berry Hunt

Game Screenshots:
vcJLBbQ.png
5bzxbX8.png
R9a6zLS.png
fQRViVt.png
MZkeRLR.png
MyGqMCT.png

Game Download:
Berry Hunt v1.1
Fixed a major bug where the player would receive a Pokemon but it would be moved to the PC rather than into their team (although this bug was fixed when I played through the game, it is not guaranteed to always be the case. Let me know if this is causing you an issue and I'll get on it as soon as I can), fixed some tile errors and typos and some additional bugs. Special thanks to the twitch user Nurse Ethi for playing through my game and shedding some light on some things I needed to work on. I still plan on adding functionality to a few aspects of the game that I did not have time to finish, fixing some balance issues and overall making the game a challenging but fun experience. Feel free to reach out to me for some feedback as I'm relatively new to this community and I'd love to improve as a game dev any way I can! Thanks!
Previous Version:
Berry Hunt v1.0

Made Using:
Pokemon Essentials on RPGMakerXP

Team:
Jonpluff

Notes:
Hello everyone! This is my first time participating in a Relic Castle Game Jam and I am really excited to finally finish something I've envisioned for quite some time. The premise for this game is that you play a girl that resides in an impoverished area near a city, secluded from the rest of society. It is not until a wise professor arrives and offers you and those that share a similar fate, a chance to escape mediocrity by participating in his Wild Berry Hunt! Will you help him fulfill his goals while uncovering the secrets that lurk beneath this dubious City? (Also please reach out to me for any concerns, comments, or possible bugs so I can update and patch anything that may need fixing. Since this is my first game, I expect a lot of things that I did not initially anticipate. Enjoy!)

1. A wide range of berries that can be used to gain an upper-hand during battles.
  2. Most trainers contain Pokemon with specific abilities, moves and items that were explicitly chosen to revolve around the theme of berries. This was integrated into the game to explore a mechanic of Pokemon that has typically been underused within a lot of previous games while also providing an additional level strategic difficulty.
  3. A custom Pokemon team for the player that is tailored to taking advantage of the plethora of berries that will be around the world. This team contains custom upgrades throughout the completion of certain missions to reduce the need to grind wild Pokemon for levels.
  4. The player is unable to use traditional Pokemon Centers, which ensures the conservancy of berry use and provide a challenge to experienced Pokemon players.
  5. Alternate routes and plot points the player can choose from.
  6. Some additional features for you to discover!
Foreword: I tried my best to create a Pokemon game that is both difficult and exciting for people to enjoy. Due to the time constraint and the hindrance provided by other responsibilities, I was unable to fully test certain aspects pertaining to the balance of some trainers and the varying missions. So I am unsure if I either created a game that's a fun and playable experience or a behemoth of insanity and frustration. So take this as you may and please remember to save the game very often. Thank you.

Resource Pack:
Link

Credits:
Pokemon Essentials Kit:
Poccil
Flameguru
Maruno

Pokemon:
Satoshi Tajiri
Junichi Masuda

This game is created for non-commercial use & all rights are reserved to the owners of the franchise.

Last edited:

A.J1

Extra
Nice work. I really love hope you will make more good game.

Jonpluff

Novice
I have just completed the first quest for Sitrus Berries and obtained my prize, but I am lost as to where to go from there!
Oh sorry, I should of made that a little more clear. You're suppose to talk to all the npcs within the cavern and then the next transition will begin.

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
I was just watching this game on a live stream and I have to say it looked way too difficult. 1 time you were given Tyranitar but it wasn't in your party and the 1 strike and you're out thing isn't really good.

Jonpluff

Novice
I was just watching this game on a live stream and I have to say it looked way too difficult. 1 time you were given Tyranitar but it wasn't in your party and the 1 strike and you're out thing isn't really good.
Lol yeah in hindsight I should of nerfed that. I think what I'll do is change the officers to transport you into the police station where you're required to pay bail with your Pokedollars or else it's game over. When I was designing that part I was watching a youtube video of someone playing IWBTG, so I kind of got inspiration from that haha. With regards to the Tyranitar I initially designed it so that the player would have enough room for that Pokemon, so that's most likely a bug that I'll get to as soon as I can. And also can you link me the livestream? I'd want to hear another person's idea of the game so I can get a general idea of what to fix.

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
Lol yeah in hindsight I should of nerfed that. I think what I'll do is change the officers to transport you into the police station where you're required to pay bail with your Pokedollars or else it's game over. When I was designing that part I was watching a youtube video of someone playing IWBTG, so I kind of got inspiration from that haha. With regards to the Tyranitar I initially designed it so that the player would have enough room for that Pokemon, so that's most likely a bug that I'll get to as soon as I can. And also can you link me the livestream? I'd want to hear another person's idea of the game so I can get a general idea of what to fix.

NurseEthi

Novice

That was me! I want to apologize for my poor attitude by the end of it. I get huffy after some frustration. ;~;

The difficulty curve was kind of strange to me with how police only had 1 level 35 Pokemon, but then random scientists had 5 level 50+ Pokemon out of nowhere and were as difficult to deal with as the big bads. I feel like that was the biggest complaint that I had in regards to what happened aside from Tyranitar.
I ended up having 2 Yanmega instead. I don't know if it was holding an item at the time which I saw the sign late to see that you asked people to remove items before talking to the intern, which may be where I went wrong. But I still had a 5 Pokemon team, which I find strange.

Those two things aside I thought it was a cool game with a nice idea behind it. The one strike thing was cumbersome, but something I could still overcome after a couple of tries.
I've finished streaming, but if you go to my twitch and go to the video section, you should be able to see the VOD of the stream. I will warn you that it was almost 6 hours long.

EDIT: If you click on "Watch last video", I got back to Berry Hunt around 1:30:00 in.

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
Hey I'm playing your game rn and will give feedback on the game itself when I'm done playing it. I just wanted to mention that I believe your game is still called Pokémon Essentials. It would be better to change that because the save file is associated with the title. So don't changing the title can lead to existing save files when there shouldn't be one. Those can potentionally break the game. Also is looks nicer if you can see the name of the game in the top left instead of Pokemon Essentials. iIt's also good practice because there are often questions from devs about error messages that come from this problem.

You can rename the game by opening the the project and cliking on the menu button game -> change title. If you do that all people downloading a patch will have to either reset their game or rename the save file(don't know whether this one works ... but I assume it does).

That beeing said I'm looking forward to playing the game. It looks very promising.

I think this game has a cool concept, but the execution of it is a little lackluster. It could use some polishing. (Which is understandable, you only had a month to make a game.)

The biggest thing that I think needs tweaking is the one strike--you're out mechanic of the game. I enjoy roguelikes so I was into the idea, but I don't think the game is built around this very well. Part of the enjoyment around roguelikes (in my opinion) is the game being hard, but the Player getting better and becoming more adept in the game. These games are usually randomized, so you're not specifically trying to memorize a specific strategy of how to beat part of the game, but certain elements and situations. I don't think this game lends itself particularly well to this mindset since most playthroughs are the same. Not to mention that if you aren't saving a lot (which I feel like defeats the purpose of this mechanic anyways), you're losing progress and having to redo things. I don't find that very fun; even something that sends you back to the start of the current hunting phase would be better. (Unless I somehow missed this and it's actually in the game? My mistake if so.)

The presentation itself could also use some polishing. I have absolutely no problem enjoying a game with the default gen 3 assets, but even small edits such as tile recolors could go a long way. Some new overworld sprites for the characters would spruce the game up as well. There's also no additional music besides the default tracks -- which I think is a shame, the default tracks aren't very good and I think the game suffers for it. The maps could also use some work; the cavern wasn't too bad but having the different rooms be the exact same shape was a bit of a let down since they felt like copy and pastes. Some of the maps could also use some tightening up -- the route/city come to mind, along with Oak's lab.

I also feel as if the berry collection could be smoothed out a bit. Having to go through the "would you like to collect a berry" prompt each time starts to bog down the game when I'm required to collect the berries. You could have the game give the Player the berries when they interact with them, they aren't going to say no. As leilou mentioned above, the game title is also the default starter kit title which makes swapping save files an unnecessary hassle.

Overall, I think you have the groundwork for something interesting here, and I'm excited to see if you update and tweak the game after the game jam. It's a really neat idea.

PhantomTheEevee

Member of the Aether Foundation
I also feel as if the berry collection could be smoothed out a bit. Having to go through the "would you like to collect a berry" prompt each time starts to bog down the game when I'm required to collect the berries. You could have the game give the Player the berries when they interact with them, they aren't going to say no.

Yes, I can agree to Deo here especially, as while I usually like collecting and harvesting Berries, it somewhat unnecessarily slows the Game if there are a lot of Berries to pick like in the end of the forest during the first mission or before you each the town. It'd add to the flow and feeling of the Game a lot.

Apart from that, currently I'm at the last mission and oh boy, if I wouldn't be saving every few minutes I'd have lost countless times already. What has caught my eye positively is that Magikarp from Ryoshi when you battle him, I was like 'Yes, and easy win against that one!" and the next moments it almost defeated my already weakened Team by spamming Bounce. Nice suprise here!

PhantomTheEevee

I guess I'm stuck... I've managed to collect 40 Lum Berries for the last mission and get out of the Lab safely, but regardless what I answer to Blaine back in the cave, I end up being transfered to the Game-Over-PokemonCenter. Can anyone help me or give me some insight whether I missed something?

PhantomTheEevee

Nevermind my previous post, I figured it out myself eventually and managed to finish the Game. Whoahw, that last Battle was certainly hard, but I much enjoyed the thrill of it, the whole 'trying to figure out how to survive and eventually beat the opponent'.

To be honest though, I would have expected a bit more (some more content) for the Ending, maybe some epilogue showing what has eventually became out of the Main Chara and the other inhabitants of the Cave. I really hope you'll update BerryHunt in the future, as the whole concept's having potential for sure!

ezlaturbo

Rookie
Love the one strike out mechanic, but i think u should at least get to catch something other than rotom or poliwrath

Back