• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Discussion What type of gamer are you?

This thread invites discussion. Be respectful, but feel free to share your opinions.

Which type are you?

• Explorer

Votes: 49 73.1%
  • Killer

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Socializer

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Achiever

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
I think there was a thread about this on olde Relic but I can't remember what people said so I'm doing it again. Some of you may have heard of Bartle's taxonomy for player types, also known as "are you an Explorer, Socializer, Killer or Achiever?"

You can fit into more than one category. I'm mainly an Explorer, as I've probably mentioned before, with a moderate amount of Achiever and a small bit of Killer, and not much of a Socializer.

In Pokémon, the different player types would probably do things like:

- Explorers would want to talk to every NPC or find all of the hidden items, or if you're like me, finding the coolest looking screenshots in the game world
- Socializers would probably have more fun with the Sinnoh Underground and maybe Secret Bases, plus whatever the crap the Xtransciever did
- Killers would dominate noobs in Random Matchup, among other things
- Achievers might go for a completed Pokédex and five stars on their Trainer Cards

Where do you fall?

Darius_Oak

The Snark Knight
Mostly Explorer and Achiever, but when I go into Killer mode I dominate so badly I've made people quit Pokemon and Smash Bros for life. Needless to say I don't do that much anymore, as much fun as I have with it.

Also if you're curious, I main Ganondorf.

I'd like to be more of a Socializer, but I rarely have the chance to. I mostly go for Explorer and Achiever-I love exploring the world inside a game, and getting lots of achievements makes me feel like I've really gotten to discover it. (I actually managed a black card on Black 2, which was quite an experience)

I'd say I was an Explorer. I do always make an effort to see what each NPC has to say, and I guess on a more basic level, I also like...well...exploring the actual region :P. I also kinda just default go there, since I'm definitely not any of the other types. I barely use any of the wifi features if we're just talking about Pokemon, I suck at battling and haven't ever considered trying out competitive, and I've only ever completed the REGIONAL Pokedex once in Pearl version, I don't even know the criteria for getting Trainer Card stars :P

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
I would say that in terms of overall gaming i am a casual Socializer. I get the most enjoyment out of multiplayer games like Smash, Mario Kart, Runbow, etc. It's also why I enjoy streaming Pokémon games--to be completely honest it's gotten harder for me recently to enjoy games just sitting by myself (unless it's super riveting). I enjoy sharing experiences, and because of that I love getting invested in well written charismatic NPCs as well.

EDIT: though in terms of Pokémon, i don't enjoy the secret bases or Sinnoh underground really--it's competitive battling with friends that tickles my Socialite self in that series.

doof

banished doof
I think I've got a little bit of everything in me, to be honest. I go through all of those in phases. I like exploring and finding things, and I do take some pretty nice screenshots from time to time, so I'm definitely an explorer. And I'm probably a socializer too, as games are always more fun when there are other people playing them. Sometimes it's just nice to kick back with some peeps and do stuff. Now for killer... sometimes I have my moments. On a rare occasion, I have the opportunity to be the strongest there, and I do take advantage of it... but only sometimes. And I'm definitely an achiever. There have been times where I've spent a couple extra hours (or even days, really) just to fully complete a certain thing that really didn't do much overall.

So, in short, I think I play too many video games.

Shgeldz

:eyes:
I would say that in terms of overall gaming i am a casual Socializer. I get the most enjoyment out of multiplayer games like Smash, Mario Kart, Runbow, etc. It's also why I enjoy streaming Pokémon games--to be completely honest it's gotten harder for me recently to enjoy games just sitting by myself (unless it's super riveting). I enjoy sharing experiences, and because of that I love getting invested in well written charismatic NPCs as well.

EDIT: though in terms of Pokémon, i don't enjoy the secret bases or Sinnoh underground really--it's competitive battling with friends that tickles my Socialite self in that series.
I've basically found that I've gravitated towards this style of play recently. I don't really have time, now that I'm an ADULT and working full time and whatnot, to sit down and play 7-8 100 hour plus games a year, and also hang with friends, and also relax and also do other responsibilities. Obviously there's a few exceptions, I sunk about 70 hours into Zelda over the past month, and I play a ton of Hearthstone (but mostly on my bus to/from work and on the toilet), but I generally these days would say I'm more of a handheld gamer person, and my console use is almost entirely either Nintendo games or, as Evan said, party/multiplayer games. I really grew to appreciate those living with a bunch of other people. They're great to pick up for anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours, which helps when you're not exactly as flexible with time as you once were.

Other than that, I really loved the 3DS and own a fair amount of the library, but again, now that I'm out of school, I see my overall gaming time decreasing and my pickiness in what games to get increasing.

Oh man I'm totally an Explorer and Socializer. I love discovering all the secrets a game has and talking to every single character I come accross. There's also games that I know I only enjoy because I'm playing them with other people; whenever I try to play solo I quickly get bored and don't really know what to do.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
Explorer and Achiever here, i like to explore as much as possible in a game and do my best to complete said game if i feel it isnt too hard to complete. after all i cant spend too much time on one game when there are hundreds more to play. :P

Pixel Profligate

Lazy Artist
I'm just an Explorer. Walking around big worlds and just seeing what's happening is nice to me. It's really therapeutic to me, and it's one of the only things I do in games.

Jephed

Trainer
We have a lot of explorers here judging by the votes. I fall under that category too. When it comes to Pokémon games I'm pretty much a completionist.
I always try to get as much out of the game as I can. (except for the medals in BW2, because those we're just terrible to get)
I guess I'm kind of an achiever as well. Those two are working well together imo.

Still never completed the yoshi's island games 100% though... I tried so hard... and got so far.

Jayrodd

Professional Hot Pepper
Not to tell people what they are, but everyone here is here because they're socializers to at least some extent. Being so deep rooted into a community like this is very fitting for that type of player, so even if that's not you 100%, we all have a fair bit of that in us. I also find it fitting that the majority of people here are leaning towards explorer and achiever because those are two very huge aspects of pokemon, which is very interesting.

Personally I find that my bartle representation will deviate depending on what game i'm playing. Overall I find myself to be mostly a killer. Showing skill and understand of the task at hand can be incredibly exhilarating for me, and is what I usually strive for when learning a game. I'll have to retake the test some time to figure out what my secondary natures are because I feel they're fairly equal otherwise but I'd imagine I lean towards socializer next.

I'm very much a socializer. I love streaming games, even if it's just for a few friends. Audience participation is also super fun if it's not a multiplayer game. I also love playing games alongside other people, I try to do this with new Pokémon games.

I love getting immersed in worlds, so I'm definitely an explorer. Talking to NPCs is something I enjoy, especially if they're well written. I also appreciate the smaller details; say I'm playing a fan game with Fakemon. I love checking the Pokédex entries and seeing how the 'mon might interact within the world. Neat stuff.

I'd love to say I'm also an achiever, but I'm really not despite wishing I was. I want to work towards 100% completing more games, but I never really commit to it.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
I'm very much a socializer. I love streaming games, even if it's just for a few friends. Audience participation is also super fun if it's not a multiplayer game. I also love playing games alongside other people, I try to do this with new Pokémon games.

I love getting immersed in worlds, so I'm definitely an explorer. Talking to NPCs is something I enjoy, especially if they're well written. I also appreciate the smaller details; say I'm playing a fan game with Fakemon. I love checking the Pokédex entries and seeing how the 'mon might interact within the world. Neat stuff.

I'd love to say I'm also an achiever, but I'm really not despite wishing I was. I want to work towards 100% completing more games, but I never really commit to it.

i find that unless you REALLY love a game, completing it 100% just ends up feeling like a chore, so dont feel bad if you cant bring yourself to complete a game, these days that is very difficult to do most of the time.

watch ThatOneVideoGamer aka The Completionist on Youtube and you'll see what i mean.

i find that unless you REALLY love a game, completing it 100% just ends up feeling like a chore, so dont feel bad if you cant bring yourself to complete a game, these days that is very difficult to do most of the time.

watch ThatOneVideoGamer aka The Completionist on Youtube and you'll see what i mean.
I can't see myself 100% completing a game I didn't like, that seems like a bit of a waste of time haha. I've done a few 100% runs of a couple games, and I find it's pretty satisfying to complete them, but I tend to just not want to continue replaying a game extensively or play through it multiple times. There's very few games that hold my interest in that way.

(and yeah, jirard's videos are pretty swell! I appreciate his content a lot)

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
I'm mostly a socializer and an explorer, but I can also be an achiever at some times. I like being part of a team and helping people out, and I also like talking to every NPC and exploring every inch of the map I can. These two come together in my strategy for Overwatch, where I try to flank from positions most people don't even know about!

KaratGaming

Novice
I'm the explorer and achiever kind of gamer, I don't have the intent of being the killer gamer.

Back