• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Shiny Pokémon

Do you prefer boosted or the same shiny rate in fangames?

• Total voters

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
Simple topic yeah? Tell me your fave shinies and your most hated shiny palettes, let's discuss redoing the shiny art for fan games to come. :)

for me starting this off Black Charizard is my fave by far, Red Gyarados is a classic and Magnemite/Magneton's Platinum shiny is visually sleek and stylish.

as for ones that i think need a redo i cant pick off the top of my head, but i know there are many that i'd change in a heartbeat.

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
While we're on the topic of Shiny Pokémon, remember that you can always change Shiny palettes in your fangame! Which Pokémon do you think could use a revamped shiny palette? I feel like most of the green ones, Gengar, and Garchomp could use updating. I don't know what happened with shiny Garchomp- shiny Gible's color scheme is fine, but then it becomes too close to normal Garchomp.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
While we're on the topic of Shiny Pokémon, remember that you can always change Shiny palettes in your fangame! Which Pokémon do you think could use a revamped shiny palette? I feel like most of the green ones, Gengar, and Garchomp could use updating. I don't know what happened with shiny Garchomp- shiny Gible's color scheme is fine, but then it becomes too close to normal Garchomp.

Please, please someone give shiny Dragonite a palette that doesn't look like overcooked canned string beans @~@

Mak

Edge Lord
How shinies are handled frankly varies on a game-by-game basis in my opinion.

Games with online functionality can get away with keeping the shininess at a lower rate, especially if there are Fakemon in it.

But games without online functionality don't have much to lose by boosting the shiny rate. You obviously don't want the shiny rate to be ever third Pokemon, but it can really be nice for people that are extremely luck-starved to get some Pokemon that they may use in battle solely because they are shiny.

For me, personally, I not only boosted the shiny rate to be much higher (Same as Reborn's, being just less than 1%) but I also revamped most of the shinies so that it gives more incentive to find them. Previously "bad" shinies like Gengar and Garchomp are now completely different and actually worth trying to find.

People say that boosting the rate too high may ruin the rarity of shinies, which to be fair, is not inaccurate, but in Reborn, for example, it can lead to a bit of amusement. Like when I was level grinding and managed to find four shiny Meowths. Or two shiny Spindas. Or even three shiny Noibats. They were far enough apart to where it was a pleasant surprise, and frankly there wasn't really a point where I felt irritated, more slightly amused at how often the same shiny kept appearing.

Even in the main games, I was hunting for a shiny Yanma in Pokemon X once but instead found three shiny Nosepass. Never found that Yanma, by the way.

Djaco75

MasterMind
Just something with the Shiny Palette, I found that Gen 5 had way too many green shiny Pokemon. I mean, the first few were cool, but then they got really boring after a while. Mixing green and orange isn't the best choice, in my opinion. @Fontbane Also, Garchomp is my second favourite Pokemon, and I was super disappointed when the shiny Garchomp turned out to look exactly the same as the normal one...

However, on the positive side, some shiny Pokemon's palettes are amazing. You just need to look at Emboar or Dragonair (not Dragonite) for this point to be proved.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
Please, please someone give shiny Dragonite a palette that doesn't look like overcooked canned string beans @~@

lol alrighty then Dragonite, what would be a good shiny palette for the Dragon type with your namesake? i ask because i do intend to change SOME Shiny palettes in my fan game.

I generally prefer a boosted shiny rate for fan games. Of course, this can sometimes be put way too high but if you have 150+ Pokémon in your game, that's a lot of shiny sprites that are hardly getting seen. I think especially for shorter projects (eg. game jam submissions) it's nice to see the rate increased a bit more.

On the topic of changing shiny palettes for fan games: yes, please. I really don't like a lot of the "I look the same but I'm the same!" and "NEON COLORS FOREVER" palettes going on in the official games. I'm looking at you, Shiny Garchomp.

I was thinking about something today: How do people feel about shiny gift Pokemon? For example, what if the player received an egg or just a Pokemon that was made shiny to give it a little something extra and make it stand out. Would you be okay with that? I was thinking that while it would be pretty cool, it does kind of make shinnies feel less rare and mysterious and kind of take away from them in someway. I feel like it would be okay if it was a tie in with the story, but maybe it's not a good idea if it's only to try and make the Pokemon stand out.

What do you guys think about things like this?

doof

banished doof
I was thinking about something today: How do people feel about shiny gift Pokemon? For example, what if the player received an egg or just a Pokemon that was made shiny to give it a little something extra and make it stand out. Would you be okay with that? I was thinking that while it would be pretty cool, it does kind of make shinnies feel less rare and mysterious and kind of take away from them in someway. I feel like it would be okay if it was a tie in with the story, but maybe it's not a good idea if it's only to try and make the Pokemon stand out.

I'm not really all that opposed to the idea - most shinies I've gotten were gifts anyway - but I feel like it would make it less rare, overall. I mean, if everyone has that exact shiny, it's not as cool anymore. And you don't get that thrill of encountering it in the tall grass and squealing at the first sight of it. Plus I feel like it's a bit of cheap way to make it special. I always try for moves it can't normally learn + rare item or something.

Djaco75

MasterMind

I think it's fine. Games have done this before with the Red Gyarados, which served a purpose in the story. It's really up to the player if they want to keep it on their team or put it in the PC. I feel like the Pokemon you make shiny should be special to the game somehow, though, so players are encouraged to actually keep it on their team.

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
I can see that shiny Pokémon have their purpose in the official games, which is to be a cheap (on the part of the programmers) way to reward the player for continuing to play the game long after the story has ended, and to keep them interested in the games. They're trophies, nothing more.

Fangames, not so much. Due to the inherently single-player nature of the vast majority of fangames, I don't consider them to be things that a player will continue to play for hundreds of hours just for the sake of it. I look at fangames as things to be played and then be done with, there for the story and the region and the exploration rather than the training of Pokémon to perfection which you'll never use. Shiny Pokémon therefore just aren't worth having. Not in their current state, anyway.

There are many things one could do to improve the worthiness of shiny Pokémon. Make them more common, make them inherently stronger, be able to modify IVs/abilities/natures of Pokémon (I detest such modifications, incidentally) so that finding the shiny is the only RNG you need to worry about. Some people (poor, misguided people) even include ways to turn a non-shiny Pokémon into a shiny Pokémon. There are many combinations and possibilities for these efforts to make shiny Pokémon better suit fangames.I won't elaborate on any of them, however, as I have a somewhat different idea in mind.

Shiny Pokémon are, essentially, recolours of Pokémon. Sure, they sparkle when they're sent out in battle, but people dwell on the colours. So instead of one alternate colouring of each Pokémon, I'd like to see multiples. Vivillon is a good example, with its 20 different patterns. Spinda also counts, even though it varies by patterning rather than by colour. I'd like to see Pokémon have, on average, maybe 5 or 6 colour and/or pattern variants (some will have more, some will have fewer, legendaries and unique Pokémon will have one). They could be found in separate areas or living together, depending on the reasons behind the variants (this can promote exploration, of course). Rarities can vary from species to species, although they certainly wouldn't be anything ridiculous like shiny Pokémon - a given variant may not get much rarer than 5%, actually. And that's fine for me, because these variants aren't intended to be rare trophies. They're just meant to be alternate colourations/patternings, which is all shiny Pokémon are when you take away their trophy status. As I said, I'd keep the variants purely cosmetic (this helps to make their distributions easier, as they won't affect gameplay balance). Because of it, it's a good thing that they're not absurdly rare, because it means players can actually get hold of them and use them. It's also pleasing to not have every instance of a species be identical.

Certainly it's more work for spriters (although simple recolours can just be hue-shifts which aren't so difficult). However, unlike shiny Pokémon, it's work that the majority of players will actually see, and I think that makes it more worthwhile. You can even have sprites in different poses, to better show off the differences and to be more interesting (and/or to make recolours less blatant). You can also use shiny Pokémon as variants instead.

There's all kinds of levels to which you could take this concept. Some examples here are rather more drastic than what I personally have in mind, but that's just me.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kMWjB
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/937586-pokemon-variants
http://magnatic.deviantart.com/favourites/64253734/Pokemon-Variations

So that's my opinion on shiny Pokémon. They're good for the official games, but rather than forcing them into fangames as-is, I think it's better to consider their role and maybe see if there are alternatives which would work better.

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
Shiny pokemon are interesting enough, but in fan-games it's a totally different ballgame.
First of all, no one is going to bother playing a fan-game long enough to really find a shiny pokemon at the current official rate, so lowering it would be a great idea, if you're even going to include them at all (which you might not even want to)

Another thing, why stop at just recoloring them, why not tie stat buffs or even unique moves to them as well? Like having an oddish, but its shiny form is like an orange "fall" color version, and maybe it has higher special attack, and a unique fire move as well? there are a lot of neat things you can mess around with beyond aesthetics, like including abilities or something like that.

Also, if you're going to have shiny pokemon in your game, make sure they look good (that means no gross green looking ones!)

Personally, I think including shiny pokemon, and lowering the rate to make them more common, is really cool - because doing so opens the player up to trying new team combinations. If you stumble upon a whismur, you probably will ignore it, but finding a shiny one, may cause you to think twice about using it, and possibly including it on your team for once.

Djaco75

MasterMind
Another thing, why stop at just recoloring them, why not tie stat buffs or even unique moves to them as well? Like having an oddish, but its shiny form is like an orange "fall" color version, and maybe it has higher special attack, and a unique fire move as well? there are a lot of neat things you can mess around with beyond aesthetics, like including abilities or something like that.

It would certainly be a cool concept to include something like this, but I can kind of see the reason why Game Freak didn't do this. Firstly, shiny Pokemon are just alternately coloured forms. Just because something is a different colour, it doesn't boost its stats or overall performance. Also, I think that concept was more achieved in regional forms, like how the Alola Forms made use of this technique you've brought up.

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
It would certainly be a cool concept to include something like this, but I can kind of see the reason why Game Freak didn't do this. Firstly, shiny Pokemon are just alternately coloured forms. Just because something is a different colour, it doesn't boost its stats or overall performance. Also, I think that concept was more achieved in regional forms, like how the Alola Forms made use of this technique you've brought up.
Thats a fair point, but I based that idea off of albinism having odd effects on people, such as aversion to sunlight and such, and applied that to giving pokemon a unique quirk instead of a deficiency
eg, maybe there was a mix up in their genetic code that caused them to look a different color, but also have improved stats/weird abilities - it would at least make shinies more interesting beyond being trophies

I really love shiny lore, I think it's a great way to expand the world of a game. The shiny lore of Ambloot in Ethereal Gates is a pretty great example of this-it explains why the shiny change occurs, and even how other Pokemon react to it.

I don't think a stat change would be a great idea -while good for shinies, competitive play would have a worse power creep, as players would be trying for perfect IVs, good natures, and a shiny to get the best stats. (though this doesn't matter much if your game isn't going to include competitive play) But I think a special move would be a lot easier to deal with-after all, one move doesn't quite have the same broad influence that a Pokemon's stats do. (It's also easier to implement-I'm not sure how you'd go about altering stats on a shiny Pokemon, but a move could be done through a tutor who only teaches shiny Pokemon)

Back