• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released The Elder Scrolls V: Pokémon

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Oh boy, I've been waiting a long time to post this, and I think it's finally in a playable state. Let's do this.

n5Ypc5r.png

udoyab2.png

I was on a bike ride one day and for no real reason thought "know what would be a really not good game idea? A Skyrim/Pokémon crossover." So then it became one of the ideas I kicked around for the 2017 summer Game Jam but decided not to do because it would take too long, so instead I shelved the idea for a few months until I was bored enough of my current game design projects to actually do something with it.

Over the next few months I started around with translating 3D Skyrim maps into 2D Pokémon ones. Most of them didn't go very well (I think the only ones that even remotely resemble the source material are Riverwood and "Route 2?") but a few weeks ago I kicked it into high gear and started designing maps for a region resembling Skyrim from scratch, which led to the desire to put actual useful events on those maps, which led to . . . this. It's a faithful-ish, if severely watered down, recreation of the game of the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, complete with Pokémon elements such as NPC Trainers and traditional JRPG random encounters.

Enjoy!

FBnjEvk.png

- Pokémon
- Failed executions
- Three Standing Stone blessings
- The music of Skyrim
- Programmer art
- No EBS!
- No Gyms!
- No Pokémon Centers!
- Ralof and Hadvar
- Shouts
- Lydia
- Bad voice acting for said Shouts
- I proofread my text
- Leveling opponents and random encounters

QlFIkqV.png

If you clicked on this tab you probably haven't played Skyrim yet, have you? Go play Skyrim, it's a great game and I copied the story (almost) word-for-word.

(This demo goes up through the end of the "Horn of Jurgen Windcaller" quest.)

TwjVu3j.png

Watch the intro to see what everything looks like!

tzrxTzs.png

It seems traditional to include a collage with your game's OP so here it is.

dzOgjxt.png

eaKmKiq.png

Some of these are caused by Essentials itself, some of them are caused by me not knowing what I'm doing, and some of them I have no idea what the cause is.

- Sometimes after getting slain, the NPC who defeated you will instantly re-battle you. (Try not to get slain.)
- Lydia does not like bridges.
- Lydia's Pokémon will occasionally not faint properly. This works out in her favor because she gets a free turn out of the deal but it would be nice if I knew why this happens, all the same.
- If you get slain before talking to the Wandering Healer the first time, weird things happen.
- Minor issues with move routes.
- Nord Tove is invisible and I don't know why.

There are also some more general oversights.

- (Most) opponent dialogue when you initiate a battle is randomly selected. Currently the only enemy archetypes implemented are Bandits and Draugr, so you'll occasionally run into an Ice Mage who talks about mugging you.
- In cutscenes people might not always turn to face the speaker. Oops?

There are some other things worth being aware of.

- The beginning portion of the game is very, very easy and most NPC Pokémon can be one-hit KO'd. This is because you can't catch any Pokémon yet and the alternative is you running back to the healer every battle, and nobody wants to do that.
- Make sure you have at least one or two Pokémon with moves to hit Ghost types before heading into Bleak Falls Barrow. Draugr carry (mostly) Ghost Pokémon and your starter choices are Fighting types.
- I tried mimicking the Skyrim wildlife in the random encounters that are available, and as it happens most of the Pokémon that exist for capturing in the demo are physical attackers. However, the only damaging Shout you pick up is a Special move. My bad?
- The Khajiit sprite is the same as Ethan's. I was going to use one of the generic cat sprite sheets from MV as programmer art but that looked so out-of-place that I decided against it at the last minute. Instead it's just used right now as a nonbinary gender for when people talk about you.

Will probably update if anything else surfaces.

97a3W1D.png

I've never used Dropbox before but I think I set the link sharing settings properly.

Version 0.0.3
-----------------------------
Version 0.0.2
Version 0.0.1
2018-03-30-b project files

Patch Notes

- Took out gamepad support, because it appears that I did it incorrectly and this was likely causing problems for some people. (It didn't work anyhow, so it won't be missed.)

- Fixed an issue with getting stuck in the opening sequence if you stand in the wrong place
- Commented out the Player bump sound effect
- Reduced the number of exclamation marks in the opening sequence

- Everything

DKXkVWr.png

As always, I hope I remembered everyone and everything.

Tilesets are from Aki, Neo-Spriteman, Dewitty, Prince Legandario, Kymotonian, Alculus, Calis Projects, ThunderDove, Alculus and Bulbapedia.
Overworlds and whatnot are frmo Neo-Spriteman, Dewitty, bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net, Nintendo, Chocosrawloid, Kymotonian Dazz and milomilotic11.
Nonstandard battlers are from some anonymous bloke on the Pokémon Essentials Wiki.
Map background is from the UESP.

Mega stuff (unused in this demo): Ploaj, Tricko1

Title screen: something on TeePublic

Tools
Pokémon Essentials 17.2 (obviously)
PBS+ by Marin

Help
Vendily, Relic Discord in general
This post: https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/1181/#post-7018
Unused in this demo, but all the same: https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/563/#post-7910

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby, Luka S.J., Boushy, MiDas Mike, Brother1440, Near Fantastica, FL., PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, help-14, Rataime, IceGod64, SoundSpawn, Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta, Venom12, Lisa Anthony, Wachunga, and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Skyrim is owned by:
Bethesda Game Studios/Zenimax Media

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

(Sorry again, Ryan Morrison.)

kaiy3ku.png

That's up to you lot! I haven't invested a lot of time into this project yet (relatively speaking) and my feelings won't be hurt if nobody plays it. If people want to see more of this, I'll keep working on this through the end of the main quest and possibly even the major sidequests; otherwise I'll just leave the the project files up for anyone who wants to noodle around with them.

In the immediate future, there are other game making priorities I have so I probably won't get around to anything for this game instantly, so do be patient.

Footnotes:

- If you want to catch a Magikarp, do the Golden Claw sidequest for Lucan Valerius in Riverwood and he'll give you the Super Rod.
- If a fight is too hard, don't level grind! The opponents will only get stronger! Try teaching your Pokémon better moves instead, or EV train a little.
- Shouts are basically infinite-use TMs. They cost a Dragon Soul to teach, however, so use them wisely! In High Hrothgar you don't actually need to have anyone with the move on them to use it. Dragons spawn at a one-in-twenty rate and drop their soul when defeated or caught, it's a wee bit grim.

Last edited:

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
Huh, that's not good. Xinput should work automatically—I wasn't able to replicate this—but according to some helpful people there are a few things you can try:

0. Do you have DirectX 9 installed? Modern versions of Windows should have this automatically but just double-check.
1. Download, extract and stick the Xinput1_3 dll in the game's directory.
2. Install XNA 4 (it should work on Windows 10 even if it's not officially supported). (I've never actually heard of RPG Maker XP games needing XNA but someone suggested it to me so it's worth a shot I guess?)

For the sake of search results here's the error in plain text:

Script 'PSystem_Controls' line 40: RuntimeError occurred.
LoadLibrary: xinput1_3.dll

boris_morris

Novice
I'm having the same issue. Other fan games (Umber) work. Installing Xinput didn't help. Did you ever find a solution?

Dragonite

Oh, I might have thought of the problem: something to do with me trying to with me incorrectly implementing gamepad support (it may have been looking for an xinput dll that simply wasn't there). I took that script out so I hope it works for you now. New download

If that was the problem, I have no idea why it was working on my computer in the first place, though . . .

boris_morris

Novice
Oh, I might have thought of the problem: something to do with me trying to with me incorrectly implementing gamepad support (it may have been looking for an xinput dll that simply wasn't there). I took that script out so I hope it works for you now. New download

If that was the problem, I have no idea why it was working on my computer in the first place, though . . .
That fixed it! Thanks, Dragonite! Looking forward to playing!

SunGoddess23

Cooltrainer
Is there a way to save the game before you chose Sawk and I'm guessing Throh is the other depending on who you are following, that way you can get the right nature for them if you choose to do so by soft resetting? I got a good nature on my second soft reset but when I tried to talk to one of the characters in the cave like area down the stairs my game froze and now I have to start completely over and I'm not sure if I'll be lucky on my first shot in getting that nature again.

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
This looks like a cool idea, and would be 100 times better if you made some tiles and overworld that fitted Skyrim's style.
Get some castles, stone paths, medival looking overworld sprites~!

Dragonite

Heh. I thought about it, but that was considerably more work than I wanted to spend on what was ultimately a side project.

Back