• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Steve the Bibarel : Heart of Darkness

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
Introduction

Steve the Bibarel : Heart of Darkness is the 0th game in the Steve the Bibarel series. Yup. 0th. It's the prequel to the original Steve the Bibarel that delves into Steve's darker past. It was made by myself and good ole Raiden for the PokeCommunity 2016 Game Jam, where it was awarded first place.

It's been several months since the Game Jam, and we've made a couple of small fixes and changes here and there. So we feel now is the time to put it back out there in the world. And, as it was made for a Game Jam, all resources used in this game are public. Feel free to take what you'd like - just be sure to give proper credits! There's a list down below!

Update 03/19/2021: I finally managed to piece together a function project file for this game and got it back into working order. I tweaked some events I didn't like and quashed a few bugs but other than that, I didn't want to completely overhaul the game with a bunch of new stuff. I think it's better to leave it as it was all those years ago.

Story

Steve the Bibarel wakes up with no memories in a strange dark world where he is quickly recruited into fighting an all-powerful, all-consuming darkness that threatens to corrupt the souls of those trapped in that world. After replaying through it while touching it up, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not too happy with the overall story, and it's likely to be considered non-canon to the Steve Universe Lore.

Download

Hey hey! I got the project all stitched back together! Here ya go!

Update 2021.1 (3/19/2021)
  • Finally got the game back up.
  • Tweaked some events.
  • Updated Steve's movesets and buffed his stats a bit.
  • Restored some of Rhyden's unused musics. (item_found.ogg and win.ogg)

Screenshots

ENagfhR.png

Features

-Play as a Bibarel!
-Um... yeah that's pretty much it...

Development Team

-Raiden: The music dude.
-SpartaLazor: The other dude.

Credits:
================
Pokemon Essentials by:
===============
  • Maruno
  • Poccil
  • Flameguru
With contributions from:
  • Marin
  • Boushy
  • MiDas Mike
  • Brother1440
  • Near Fantastica
  • FL.
  • PinkMan
  • Genzai Kawakami
  • Popper
  • help-14
  • Rataime
  • IceGod64
  • SoundSpawn
  • Jacob O. Wobbrock
  • the__end
  • KitsuneKouta
  • Venom12
  • Lisa Anthony
  • Wachunga
  • Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out
==================
Adjustable Shadows
==================
-mej71
==================
Custom Music
==================
-Raiden (aka Robo5Yoshi)
==================
Password Script
==================
-Kiedisticelixer
==================
Pokemon and Human
OverWorld Sprites
==================
-Dewitty
-Bulbapedia.Bulbagarden.net
-Nintendo
-Chocosrawloid
-Kymotonian
-milomilotic11
-Neo-Spriteman
==================
Tilesets
==================
-Dewitty
-Prince Legandario
-Alucus
-Calis
-Neo-Spriteman
-The-Red-Ex
-ThatsSoWitty
-Kyle-Dove
-Speedialga
-Spacemotion
-Alucus
-Pokemon-Diamond
-Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
-EpicDay
-Thurpok
-UltimoSpriter
-iametrine
-Minorthreat0987
-TyranitarDark
-Heavy-Metal-Lover
-KKKaito
-WesleyFG
-BoOmxBiG
-EternalTakai
-Hek-el-grande
-RafaCac
-Alucus
-Kyle Dove
-Dewitty
-CNC
-zetavares852!
==================
Non-Custom Music
==================
-Song's End (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity -- One Last Look at Paradise)
---Keisue Ito, Yasuhiro Kawagoe

Last edited:

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
Except for that one girl right there in the screenshots.

True

Also I bet you have a Bibarel called Steve in your Pokemon Game---------------------------------------------------
Steve the Bibarel : The Heart of Darkness
---------------------------
Script 'PScreen_Load' line 433: ArgumentError occurred.
wrong number of arguments(1 for 0)
OK

Can't open the Option menu in the Loading Screen

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
Does this happen in the game itself, or only in the loading screen. Either way, a fix is likely to be some wait, as the computer with those files is a little... broken.

I just finished your game and when I saw the Pokemon who was talking to Pokemon to go to (Place) I just realized who it was in the after credits scene

crownCTDM

Rookie
one of the best fan games I have ever played with the best music. Quite some time from when I played the game but still wanted to tell you that it's great!

TANGOCOYO

coyote tango
i'm in LOVE with this project. the dialogue is charming and funny and witty and well thought out for something so comical.

my only issue with this is the lack of PP restoring items.

doof

banished doof
i'm in LOVE with this project. the dialogue is charming and funny and witty and well thought out for something so comical.

my only issue with this is the lack of PP restoring items.

Hey, I'm glad you liked it! We worked super-hard on it.

And yeah, now that I think about it, I think we initally planned some PP restoring items. I think they were supposed to be pears. I don't recall why we never added them. Might've just be because we were stretched for time on this. But we'll definitely make sure to add them in the future games.

Mew Prime

The Shiny Mew
I loved this game. It's pretty well done, actually. The one thing I have to mention though is, like an earlier post said, there's no PP-restoring items, so some battles got down to the wire. Also--where is the original Steve the Bibarel game? I'd like to try it.

EDIT: Nvm, I found it in an older post. Good thing DuckDuckGo didn't decide to play DuckDuckGoose with the search results...

Last edited:

Ash777

Rookie
hey is there any other download link ? as the 1 above doesnt work also is there a sequel if yes pls provide me a link to there

Back