• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

In Development Pokemon Mystic and Valor

This project is a work in progress. The content is subject to change, and not finished yet.
Plot: 19 years have passed since two boys started their journey; now their ideals are tearing the world apart. Explore the Merca region, an area that is filled with mountains and forests waiting to be explored. As usual, the Merca pokemon league has 8 gym leaders and a Pokemon League, but there's a twist; you need to face 9 trainers in a row to finally fight the champion using 12 pokemon. But now Merca is at the brink of civil war due to the founding of teams Mystic and Valor. Both teams have discovered a secret of the bond between trainer and Pokemon.....

And Team Instinct is just.....Team Instinct? Spark just dabbed so hard that he got a bloody nose.

Features:
  • Following Pokemon
  • All 21 starters available later on in game
  • Light type
  • 4 playable characters
  • Minor customization features
  • Fakemon
  • 3 new Fakemon starters
  • New evolutions to old Pokemon
  • 2 New Eeveelutions
  • Many legendaries are now non-catchable but can be summoned
  • Mini postgame region, like sevii islands, with many legendaries and challenges
  • Return of the Pokeathlon
  • Pokemon VS, which I will talk about at a later time
  • Easy, Hard, and Nuzlocke difficulty on top of the normal difficulty level
  • A secret bond between trainer and Pokemon can now be unleashed.......
Team
  • Me - Director and Spriter
  • TheLegend27 - Vice Director and Fakemon Creator
  • EpicLuma(not on RelicCastle yet) - Composer and Primary game tester
ULtimoSpriter - Most Tilesets
Barubary - BW trainer Sprites9
Luka EBS
Sprites:
• Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
• <b>Luka S.J.</b>Luka S.J. | Indexing and formatting the sprites
• dragonnite | GIF to PNG conversion
• Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow) | Gen 5 ball sprites
Battle Backgrounds:
• Eli | Ripping and compiling the backgrounds
Custom UI:
• <b>Luka S.J.</b>Luka S.J. | Design, formatting and implementation
Scripts:
• <b>Luka S.J.</b>Luka S.J. | Elite Battle System
• Pokémon Essentials | Base system
Sound Effects:
• GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
• BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects
Gen 7 Sprite Pack for Pokemon Essentials (updated 1/19/17)
Amethyst
Jan
Zumi
Bazaro
Koyo
Smeargletail
Alex
Noscium
Lepagon
N-kin
fishbowlsoul90
princess-phoenix
DatLopunnyTho
Conyjams
kaji atsu
The cynical poet
LuigiPlayer
Falgaia of the Smogon S/M sprite project
Pikafan2000
Lord-Myre
A-Exeggutor Fix/Multiple Dex Forms scripts by Marcello
Gen 6 smogon project
Mej71
Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, Venom12, mej71 -following pokemon
Credits for the Gen 6 Project
Project Organization:
WorldSlayer
Pokemon Icons:
Pikachumazzinga
PBS file editing:
mej71
karstictrainer
WorldSlayer
TheDeKay
viperk1
SunakazeKun
Radical Raptr
RPD490
Takyon!
Pokegod7020
Research:
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
snooper117
Shiney570 - Starter Selection
DayBreakM BW tiles
- Zeak6464
- TapuFini
- SpartaLazor
- leparagon
- Bulbapedia
- Serebii
- M3rein
- BlackOutG5
- Rune
Credit for some code:
- Rigbycwts
- Rot8er_ConeX
- James Davy
Atomic Reactor - How to make pokemon games series

5/7: Working on Pokeathlon and evil teams, a bit stuck.
5/16: STILL working on Pokeathlon; trying to find a way to transfer my game to Essentials BW from regular essentials
5/31: Game became double screen for better UI, Many BW scripts installed, First 10 minutes of game's eventing complete.
6/1: Realized I needed a debugger on my team
8/28 Many coding problems fixed, but irrelevant since code was changed
9/6 School started and I don't have much done.
9/22 Surfing and VS transition sprite for Blaze done
9/27 Temple of Creation remade and indoor tileset redone
10/22 Installed Marin's Poketch script, game double screen again.

Feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    259 KB · Views: 2,829
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    252.1 KB · Views: 580
  • Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    294.2 KB · Views: 627
  • Capture 4.PNG
    Capture 4.PNG
    229.8 KB · Views: 584
  • Capture 5.PNG
    Capture 5.PNG
    81.4 KB · Views: 572
  • Capture 6.PNG
    Capture 6.PNG
    128.9 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:

doof

banished doof
Team Mystic and Team Valor? Will Team Instinct have an appearance? :yum

That said, it think it's good for a start. I don't know if I really get the feel of the game yet just from the thread, but I'd be willing to bet that that'll change as development goes on.

The only big issue that I see right now is that 18 trainers before the champion. That's 19 battles (champion included) in a row - that's a huge and monotonous grind, in my opinion. Especially considering that, based off of how it reads, you'd have to start from the beginning if you lose. It's a bit much.

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
One concern I have with this is you might be putting in a little too much. Having 21 starters to choose from would be way too much for the player to decide- not to mention that it would be hard to balance with all the starters in mind (especially with how some evolve earlier or later). I feel like having just 3 Fakemon starters would be better for the player, and be more memorable. Also, as @SpartaLazor said, having 18 Trainers (which I'm assuming will be type themed) before the Champion seems like it'd be super grindy, repetitive, or overwhelming. Just having a normal Elite Four is already usually challenging enough, and makes their fights more memorable.
Basically what I'm saying is, sometimes less is more.

I'm not really digging the canon mixing with Pokémon Go (which I think is what's going on), but that could just be me. Just as a tip, it's a good idea to have your fangame's name be something that would be able to be found through Google. For example, if you called your game Pokémon Galactic, it'd take a lot of scrolling for your game to show up.

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
Team Mystic and Team Valor? Will Team Instinct have an appearance? :yum

That said, it think it's good for a start. I don't know if I really get the feel of the game yet just from the thread, but I'd be willing to bet that that'll change as development goes on.

The only big issue that I see right now is that 18 trainers before the champion. That's 19 battles (champion included) in a row - that's a huge and monotonous grind, in my opinion. Especially considering that, based off of how it reads, you'd have to start from the beginning if you lose. It's a bit much.

Facing 18 trainers in a row might be intimidating, but we have countermeasures to make it easier. First, we will allow the player to alternate between 12 pokemon after every battle using a temporary battle storage system. Secondly, the player will face the 10 non gym leader trainers the first time and the full 18 in the postgame. Lastly, there will be a check point after the ninth battle (rematches only). I am thinking of other ways to make this easier, but I do want the player to face all of the elements------------------------
One concern I have with this is you might be putting in a little too much. Having 21 starters to choose from would be way too much for the player to decide- not to mention that it would be hard to balance with all the starters in mind (especially with how some evolve earlier or later). I feel like having just 3 Fakemon starters would be better for the player, and be more memorable. Also, as @SpartaLazor said, having 18 Trainers (which I'm assuming will be type themed) before the Champion seems like it'd be super grindy, repetitive, or overwhelming. Just having a normal Elite Four is already usually challenging enough, and makes their fights more memorable.
Basically what I'm saying is, sometimes less is more.

I'm not really digging the canon mixing with Pokémon Go (which I think is what's going on), but that could just be me. Just as a tip, it's a good idea to have your fangame's name be something that would be able to be found through Google. For example, if you called your game Pokémon Galactic, it'd take a lot of scrolling for your game to show up.

You don't chose from the 21 starters directly, you take a quiz (pokemon uranium style) to get a starter set and then choose from 1 of the 3 in the set. The games were not really meant to be based off the teams themselves (although they do appear), but on their ideals. "The wisdom of Pokemon is immeasurably deep. I'm researching why it is that they evolve. My team? With our calm analysis of every situation, we can't lose!" -Blanche; "Pokemon are stronger than humans, and they're warmhearted, too! I'm researching ways to enhance Pokemon's natural power in the pursuit of true strength. There's no doubt that the Pokémon our team have trained are the strongest in battle!" -Candela. Also, Pokemon Brain and Brawns doesn't really sound good.

See my response to SpartaLazor for your last question.

If the main goal is to have all they types represented, I think it would be a better idea to merge some of the types into one opponent. For example, maybe you have an 'Earth' trainer who represents grass, ground and rock types, or a 'Spectral' trainer with phychic, fairy, ghost and dark types (these are just examples :P). That way, you can have all the types represented, but make it not so gruelling for the player. I honestly think that having the player face 18 trainers in a row would not only be really hard, but also kinda boring after a while, so I'd really recommend coming up with a different idea (either my idea of something else entirely)

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
If the main goal is to have all they types represented, I think it would be a better idea to merge some of the types into one opponent. For example, maybe you have an 'Earth' trainer who represents grass, ground and rock types, or a 'Spectral' trainer with phychic, fairy, ghost and dark types (these are just examples :P). That way, you can have all the types represented, but make it not so gruelling for the player. I honestly think that having the player face 18 trainers in a row would not only be really hard, but also kinda boring after a while, so I'd really recommend coming up with a different idea (either my idea of something else entirely)

Brilliant!

Djaco75

MasterMind
This game looks really cool and the concepts behind it certainly are amazing. Here's some feedback:

Things I Like:
  • The option to choose 7 characters. I feel like one main issue in the mainstream games was the limit of two characters until customisation was introduced, but 7 characters look good to me.
  • The mystery behind the region. I'm intrigued by Team Instinct and their goal. I can't wait to see it done.
  • Starter selection scene. Looks really professional.

Thinks That, In My Opinion, Could Be Improved:
  • Some maps are looking a bit bland, especially the mountain ones. I hope you'll find some time to spice them up a bit.
  • Also, this is kind of a warning. Don't let the second region get too detailed. I find most people get too carried away with the second region, which takes away from the first. Make them both look good, not just one.

That's about it. I hope you use my feedback as well as you can. When you post some updated, I'll try and think of some more things for you.

Good Luck!

TheLegend27

WOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOT
Plot: 25 years have passed since two boys started their journey; now their ideals are tearing the world apart. Explore the Merca region, an area that is filled with mountains and forests waiting to be explored. As usual, the Merca pokemon league has 8 gym leaders and a Pokemon League, but there's a twist; you need to face 18 trainers in a row to finally fight the champion using 12 pokemon. But now Merca is at the brink of civil war due to the founding of teams Mystic and Valor. Both teams have discovered a secret of the bond between trainer and Pokemon.....

And Team Instinct is just.....Team Instinct? Don't worry sparkies, Team Instinct is in the game, somewhere.

Features:
  • Following Pokemon
  • All 21 starters
  • Light type (Replaces Fairy)
  • 7 Trainer outfits
  • Fakemon
  • New evolutions to old Pokemon
  • 2 New Eeveelutions
  • Many legendaries are now non-catchable but can be summoned
  • Mini postgame region, like sevii islands, with many legendaries and challenges.
  • A secret bond between trainer and Pokemon can now be unleashed.......
Team
  • Me - Director
  • TheLegend27 - Vice Director
ULtimoSpriter - Most Tilesets
Barubary - BW trainer Sprites9
Luka EBS
Sprites:
• GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
• Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
• <b>Luka S.J.</b>Luka S.J. | Indexing and formatting the sprites
• dragonnite | GIF to PNG conversion
• Tebited15 | B/W styled trainer Red sprite
• Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow) | Gen 5 ball sprites
Battle Backgrounds:
• Eli | Ripping and compiling the backgrounds
Custom UI:
• <b>Luka S.J.</b>Luka S.J. | Design, formatting and implementation
Scripts:
• <b>Luka S.J.</b>Luka S.J. | Elite Battle System
• <b>Maruno</b>Maruno | General help and support
• dragonnite | GIF to PNG converter
• Pokémon Essentials | Base system
Sound Effects:
• GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
• BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects
Gen 7 Sprite Pack for Pokemon Essentials (updated 1/19/17)
Amethyst
Jan
Zumi
Bazaro
Koyo
Smeargletail
Alex
Noscium
Lepagon
N-kin
fishbowlsoul90
princess-phoenix
DatLopunnyTho
Conyjams
kaji atsu
The cynical poet
LuigiPlayer
Falgaia of the Smogon S/M sprite project
Pikafan2000
Lord-Myre
A-Exeggutor Fix/Multiple Dex Forms scripts by Marcello
Gen 6 smogon project
Mej71
Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, Venom12, mej71 -following pokemon
Credits for the Gen 6 Project
Project Organization:
WorldSlayer
Pokemon Icons:
Pikachumazzinga
PBS file editing:
mej71
karstictrainer
WorldSlayer
TheDeKay
viperk1
SunakazeKun
Radical Raptr
RPD490
Takyon!
Pokegod7020
Research:
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
snooper117
Shiney570 - Starter Selection
DayBreakM BW tiles
- Zeak6464
- TapuFini
- SpartaLazor
- leparagon
- Bulbapedia
- Serebii
- M3rein
- BlackOutG5
- Rune
Credit for some code:
- Rigbycwts
- Rot8er_ConeX
- James Davy
Atomic Reactor - How to make pokemon games series

Feedback is appreciated.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the regions are going to be based on the northeast US (much more of it than unova) and Greece
I am also doing most of the fakemon for the game. I have some art for them which I will post soon
Also, I am not the one reponsable for the pokemon go references

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
i agree with Dawn Bronze's comment, if you wish to represent all types, then dont theme the Gym Leaders to one specific type, that will also keep it challenging without being a gauntlet match.

that being said, if you had the Elite Four in your game, you could face trainers that focus on three types while the Gym Leaders use 2 Types, and the Champion can of course have a varied party of 6.

i like what you are trying to do Nitron, and that is to challenge trainers, but perhaps you can save the gauntlet for the post game, hmm? ;)

TheLegend27

WOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOTWOOT
I'm working on making some of the lead NPC's, and some of these are a group of elite trainers who, along with their partner pokemon, defend the region, kinda like the pokemon world equivalent of the avengers

Also I want to put just a basic elite 4 in the game, I was planning on having the elite 4 and 8 gym leaders being based on the olympian gods and the evil team leaders based on the titans

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
I'm working on making some of the lead NPC's, and some of these are a group of elite trainers who, along with their partner pokemon, defend the region, kinda like the pokemon world equivalent of the avengers

Also I want to put just a basic elite 4 in the game, I was planning on having the elite 4 and 8 gym leaders being based on the olympian gods and the evil team leaders based on the titans

you'll have to make sure Zeus is the strongest in that case, my love of Greek Mythology will accept no less. :P

Radical Raptr

Bug Maniac
A few pointers:

Don't attach the images, instead insert the images (its a minor thing, but having the images "attached" looks weird and makes it harder to see the screenshots)

Also All the maps appear to be rather open and uninteresting, I would work on polishing up some of the maps you have and adding little details, like flowers or blades of grass, or objects in the building. And I have to point out that the mountain tile you used is not different from the inaccessible tiles, and thats a big no no

Also I would consider making your own original character rather than relying on established ones like team valor, mystic and instinct, but thats just me - having to create fanfiction for existing characters gets a bit muddy and weird, when you could hve your own teams and your own unique characters to flesh out and design how you want - you get more freedom that way!

For your features I would expand upon them a bit, how many fakemon are you including? How many original pokemon are you including roughly? what kind of region will this be? mostly grass/rock/flying types, with a few ice/steel/fires thrown in? How does the mountain and forest aspect affect the type diversity you have? will there only be pokemon you would find in those areas, or are you including areas like high peaks, and ocean coasts?

If light type replaces fairy, why bother doing it at all? if its just a cosmetic change, why are you even doing it beyond not having fairy type?

what kinds of outfits are you including? I really like having a lot of different outfits, will they be ones like red's outfit, ruby's outfit, etc - like official protag outfits, or will they all be original? will male + female characters have their own 7 separate outfits? can male characters wear female outfits and vice versa?

FloofyPanthar

Gen 5 Guru
A few pointers:

Don't attach the images, instead insert the images (its a minor thing, but having the images "attached" looks weird and makes it harder to see the screenshots)

Also All the maps appear to be rather open and uninteresting, I would work on polishing up some of the maps you have and adding little details, like flowers or blades of grass, or objects in the building. And I have to point out that the mountain tile you used is not different from the inaccessible tiles, and thats a big no no

Also I would consider making your own original character rather than relying on established ones like team valor, mystic and instinct, but thats just me - having to create fanfiction for existing characters gets a bit muddy and weird, when you could hve your own teams and your own unique characters to flesh out and design how you want - you get more freedom that way!

For your features I would expand upon them a bit, how many fakemon are you including? How many original pokemon are you including roughly? what kind of region will this be? mostly grass/rock/flying types, with a few ice/steel/fires thrown in? How does the mountain and forest aspect affect the type diversity you have? will there only be pokemon you would find in those areas, or are you including areas like high peaks, and ocean coasts?

If light type replaces fairy, why bother doing it at all? if its just a cosmetic change, why are you even doing it beyond not having fairy type?

what kinds of outfits are you including? I really like having a lot of different outfits, will they be ones like red's outfit, ruby's outfit, etc - like official protag outfits, or will they all be original? will male + female characters have their own 7 separate outfits? can male characters wear female outfits and vice versa?

Many of your questions are spoilers and will be answered later in development or in the game. Light type isn't so much a replacement, but more of a new type similar but not exactly the same as fairy type. For example, when I say light types will be in the game, can you think of an electric type Pokemon that will get the light type added on? I am including quite a lot of fakemon (about 100) and a good amount of Pokemon (400). Right now my main concern isn't the detail on the map; its getting the maps in the system and making sure everything is working. The two boys that formed the two teams are not the main characters. Your character is a kid living in the approximate time that my game will be finished. Since the game is base on the North-East USA so many grass, water, fire, and ice types will be in the game. I'm not the best at map making, I admit, so I'm just getting my idea out there so I can get help.

Personally, I don't find it a bad idea to include all 21 starters (Reborn and Rejuvenation have done it as well, and they're quite popular), but I don't like the idea of a personality quiz to determine which set you pick from. I think the reason why people don't like so many starters is that it becomes more a matter of choice than a matter of Pokemon. With this system, players are going to have to make a choice for each question you give, and then another choice to pick the starter. I would personally recommend taking an approach like Rejuvenation did with its starters-let the player see the Pokemon out in a habitat of sorts, so they feel more like Pokemon, not just options. (I'm strongly against personality quizzes that determine game outcomes myself-I'm just gonna answer for the end I want, so why not skip the questions and just give the choice? But that's just personal preference)

I'm also noticing a lot of typos in your screencaps. A few typos isn't that big a deal-even the official games have some-but when half of the screencaps have them, that's a bit of a problem. It's the first impression we get of the game-you want to make it look official. (Your Arceus screencap should say "I know what you want. You want me, the Almighty Arceus, to join your team.", your Chimchar screencap should have Fire capitalized-all types are capitalized, to make it clear they're the type and not just regular fire/water/grass-and your train screencap has an apostrophe in meant. I'm not really sure why that's there.)

Summoning legendaries sounds like a very cool mechanic! It does seem very strange that the player can catch Pokemon with powers vital to the order of the universe (like with Dialga and Palkia) and simply do as they please. Gaining their trust to summon them in battle while not having full control over them is a nice way to keep a balance between story and game! I'm looking forward to seeing the Fakemon additions to existing evolutionary lines, too, I always love seeing how people would expect a line to go!

Back