Released Pokémon Roam

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
7ba4F5z.png

About​

Welcome to the Jela region, the largest island of an archipelago southwest of Hoenn.
Jela is bisected by a volcanic mountain chain that prevents precise navigation at large distances.
Only professionals are allowed to Fly, Teleport, Dig and the like. Regular everyday trainers have to
rely on their services or their own two feet to explore the vast region.

37Ep97i.png

Jela is realized in this game on an unusual scale. While there are cities, they are much more city-sized,
and they are not the only points of civilization across the region. Routes are dotted with small villages,
each with someone in need of assistance and a gate leading to some secret behind the village.

XwLtM7N.png

Your adventure in Jela won't follow any one large overarching plot. Rather, you will meet people along the
way that each have their own story to tell, sometimes intersecting in surprising ways. And the people you
meet on your journey might not be the same people someone else meets on their own journey in Jela.

jHIPI4C.png

Features​

• nearly all battles are double battles
  • pokemon battles drop items used for crafting, this completely replaces the normal economy
  • regional dex includes selected Pokemon from generations 1-6
  • new custom developed battle mechanics like the Frostbite status and Snow weather
  • massive routes with myriad paths
  • pokedex tasks to complete to increase shiny encounter rate
  • 5 major NPC side story paths with many more planned
  • time of day affects pokemon encounters, trainer battles, and more
  • in-depth legendary hunting system will test your knowledge of Pokemon and the Jela region
  • currently 2 gyms with around 8-15 hours of play depending on how much exploring and side content you do
  • eventual plans for 8 gyms you can complete in any order

Download​

v0.3.2 of September 29, 2024

Credits​

Made by Gavin "mkdir_not_war"

Big thank you to Jordan & Greg for being awesome playtesters!

=============================

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.

and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

Made using Essentials v20.1 on RPG Maker XP

pokemon essentials == Flameguru, Poccil (Peter O.), Maruno
acro-mach bike code == Rei (original - 2014), bo4p5687 (update)
cable car == PurpleZaffre
pokemon sprites == DerxwnaKapsyla, contributers to smogon sprite projects
character art == aveontrainer, DiegoWT, Taka
cries == Random Talking Bush
item crafting code == ThatWelshOne_
mkxp-z == Roza, Ancurio et al.
RPG Maker XP == Enterbrain
Pokemon == The Pokemon Company, Nintendo, Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

== Music Sources ==
  • Pokemon RSE
  • Pokemon FRLG
  • Pokemon Dash
  • Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RB
  • Pokemon DPPt
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game (Gameboy) - @bedrocksolid on youtube for stereo mixes
  • Pokemon the anime series
** bicycle theme is "League Official Cap"
** east Jela trainer battle is "Kanto Elite Four/Gym Battle Theme"
  • 2BA Master (album)
  • Tunic
  • Celeste
  • Stardew Valley
  • Persona 5

Last edited:

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Hi there, played your game for a few hours and I think it has a very good foundation. I like the large, sprawling routes, the large towns, and the relative autonomy to go where you please. A few suggestions to improve the experience:

1) Speed Up Button - I just used speedhack so it isn't a huge deal for me, but many people will want to see a Speed Up, especially with a large game like this with tons of backtracking.

2) Quest Log - Quest giver indicators would be nice to have, but really a journal that logs everything as you encounter it would be a massive addition here. Like I encountered several people saying things like "I've never seen a Hoppip before" which are clear indicators of a quest. Would be nice to have a log of this, the alternative is the player has to keep their own journal as they play, which is annoying. This is exacerbated by how large the world is as well and it will only get worse as you progress I would assume.

3) Day/Night cycle - Having Day/Night encounters and events is fine, but tying it to your PC clock forces you to play at certain times of your day or to mess with your PC clock which can cause bugs and complications of their own. Having a game 24 hr cycle that doesn't tie to real time would be much better given that time seems relevant to the game.

That's it for now, I will play a few more hours and see if I run into anything else worth mentioning.

safr

Elite Trainer
7ba4F5z.png

About​

Welcome to the Jela region, the largest island of an archipelago southwest of Hoenn.
Jela is bisected by a volcanic mountain chain that prevents precise navigation at large distances.
Only professionals are allowed to Fly, Teleport, Dig and the like. Regular everyday trainers have to
rely on their services or their own two feet to explore the vast region.

37Ep97i.png

Jela is realized in this game on an unusual scale. While there are cities, they are much more city-sized,
and they are not the only points of civilization across the region. Routes are dotted with small villages,
each with someone in need of assistance and a gate leading to some secret behind the village.

XwLtM7N.png

Your adventure in Jela won't follow any one large overarching plot. Rather, you will meet people along the
way that each have their own story to tell, sometimes intersecting in surprising ways. And the people you
meet on your journey might not be the same people someone else meets on their own journey in Jela.

jHIPI4C.png

Features​

• nearly all battles are double battles
  • pokemon battles drop items used for crafting, this completely replaces the normal economy
  • regional dex includes selected Pokemon from generations 1-6
  • new custom developed battle mechanics like the Frostbite status and Snow weather
  • massive routes with myriad paths
  • pokedex tasks to complete to increase shiny encounter rate
  • 5 major NPC side story paths with many more planned
  • time of day affects pokemon encounters, trainer battles, and more
  • in-depth legendary hunting system will test your knowledge of Pokemon and the Jela region
  • currently 2 gyms with around 8-15 hours of play depending on how much exploring and side content you do
  • eventual plans for 8 gyms you can complete in any order

Download​

v0.3.2 of September 29, 2024

Credits​

Made by Gavin "mkdir_not_war"

Big thank you to Jordan & Greg for being awesome playtesters!

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.

and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

Made using Essentials v20.1 on RPG Maker XP

pokemon essentials == Flameguru, Poccil (Peter O.), Maruno
acro-mach bike code == Rei (original - 2014), bo4p5687 (update)
cable car == PurpleZaffre
pokemon sprites == DerxwnaKapsyla, contributers to smogon sprite projects
character art == aveontrainer, DiegoWT, Taka
cries == Random Talking Bush
item crafting code == ThatWelshOne_
mkxp-z == Roza, Ancurio et al.
RPG Maker XP == Enterbrain
Pokemon == The Pokemon Company, Nintendo, Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

== Music Sources ==
  • Pokemon RSE
  • Pokemon FRLG
  • Pokemon Dash
  • Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RB
  • Pokemon DPPt
  • Pokemon Trading Card Game (Gameboy) - @bedrocksolid on youtube for stereo mixes
  • Pokemon the anime series
** bicycle theme is "League Official Cap"
** east Jela trainer battle is "Kanto Elite Four/Gym Battle Theme"
  • 2BA Master (album)
  • Tunic
  • Celeste
  • Stardew Valley
  • Persona 5
I always love big route, city and town, i think your game is my dream one. I already see the game i think the game need quest tab and original character sprite for MC and other important characters because well it's new story and region

mkdir-not-war

Rookie
Hi there, played your game for a few hours and I think it has a very good foundation. I like the large, sprawling routes, the large towns, and the relative autonomy to go where you please. A few suggestions to improve the experience:

1) Speed Up Button - I just used speedhack so it isn't a huge deal for me, but many people will want to see a Speed Up, especially with a large game like this with tons of backtracking.

2) Quest Log - Quest giver indicators would be nice to have, but really a journal that logs everything as you encounter it would be a massive addition here. Like I encountered several people saying things like "I've never seen a Hoppip before" which are clear indicators of a quest. Would be nice to have a log of this, the alternative is the player has to keep their own journal as they play, which is annoying. This is exacerbated by how large the world is as well and it will only get worse as you progress I would assume.

3) Day/Night cycle - Having Day/Night encounters and events is fine, but tying it to your PC clock forces you to play at certain times of your day or to mess with your PC clock which can cause bugs and complications of their own. Having a game 24 hr cycle that doesn't tie to real time would be much better given that time seems relevant to the game.

That's it for now, I will play a few more hours and see if I run into anything else worth mentioning.
Thank you for playing! Day/Night cycle is not something I took lightly and if you find a bug caused by it, please let me know. How far did you get? What's your favorite part so far??

mkdir-not-war

Rookie
I always love big route, city and town, i think your game is my dream one. I already see the game i think the game need quest tab and original character sprite for MC and other important characters because well it's new story and region
Really appreciate the kind words! I'll consider the quest tab idea. As for the main character, since it's a voiceless MC, I hadn't considered making a custom MC a high priority. As for important characters, most of them do have original sprites! Or at least unique sprites that no one else in the game has.
Would love to hear more about your playthrough!

Zinkatron

Cooltrainer
Thank you for playing! Day/Night cycle is not something I took lightly and if you find a bug caused by it, please let me know. How far did you get? What's your favorite part so far??

No problem, thanks for sharing your game with us!

No bugs at all thus far, I am at the first gym so I am not very far yet. My comment on Day/Night was more or less stemming from the potential of messing with your PC clock causing issues and in general not being a huge fan of real time use in games since I for the most part don't get a lot of time (if any) to play during the day, like ever. So unless I do mess with my PC clock, I am just going to get night encounters which is kind of a bummer.

mkdir-not-war

Rookie
No problem, thanks for sharing your game with us!

No bugs at all thus far, I am at the first gym so I am not very far yet. My comment on Day/Night was more or less stemming from the potential of messing with your PC clock causing issues and in general not being a huge fan of real time use in games since I for the most part don't get a lot of time (if any) to play during the day, like ever. So unless I do mess with my PC clock, I am just going to get night encounters which is kind of a bummer.
Super fair, my buddy who playtested has similar circumstances. I don't really want to get too deep into the weeds about design, but I will say that while Merra City does have some stuff (all optional, anything that is required to progress is open while it's required 24/7) that's only open during the day, I plan to have a lot of stuff in future cities that's only open at night! Nightlife, stuff like that. Maybe even some stuff outside cities too, we'll see. It's not a core tenet of the game, but it's something I want to keep, while still acknowledging that not everyone has all times of day regularly available for them to play. I'm hoping it can still be super fun, even if you only ever play after hours.

All that being said, I will add that I've tested the game on mobile (Android) and it plays pretty well! So if that is a possibility and it interests you, that could be one way you see some of Jela in daylight. Though of course you'd have a different save file on your phone.

safr

Elite Trainer
Really appreciate the kind words! I'll consider the quest tab idea. As for the main character, since it's a voiceless MC, I hadn't considered making a custom MC a high priority. As for important characters, most of them do have original sprites! Or at least unique sprites that no one else in the game has.
Would love to hear more about your playthrough!
Also i forget to say. I think you should also use some costom gen 3 tiles set to make the graphic look more new and not just same like gen 3 fire red and leaf green. I hope you don't mind about my suggestion and because this just suggestion don't force yourself to do it if it not go according to your vision.

So far my playthrough is enjoying running around and checking every npc because there's many of them and i love big area. As for battle the balance go really well

Last edited:

mkdir-not-war

Rookie
Also i forget to say. I think you should also use some costom gen 3 tiles set to make the graphic look more new and not just same like gen 3 fire red and leaf green. I hope you don't mind about my suggestion and because this just suggestion don't force yourself to do it if it not go according to your vision.
I will take this as a compliment lol because actually there are quite a few assets that are custom! I just tried really hard to make them blend in with the existing tileset. Sounds like I managed it. To be honest, I'm not an artist by trade, I'm a programmer, so while I can mimic an art style to some degree, making an all new tileset is a bit beyond my skill set.

I did make the skybox/panorama background of Salyu Peak though basically whole cloth, so you can look forward to that!

safr

Elite Trainer
I will take this as a compliment lol because actually there are quite a few assets that are custom! I just tried really hard to make them blend in with the existing tileset. Sounds like I managed it. To be honest, I'm not an artist by trade, I'm a programmer, so while I can mimic an art style to some degree, making an all new tileset is a bit beyond my skill set.

I did make the skybox/panorama background of Salyu Peak though basically whole cloth, so you can look forward to that!
Nah it's okay. It's just suggestion don't need to think much about it and also there some custom free tiles set in pokemon community and here eevee expo if you decide to use more custom tiles set and building

Back