• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed POKéMON SHINY ISLAND

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Version

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
can you "catch 'em all"...in...

IpkibFa.png

POKéMON SHINY ISLAND, a game by Evan (Starrcasm) & Tangocoyo
Made using
Pokémon Essentials GSC Kit Version 1.3.2 (Based in Essentials v18.1)
Playtime: 2-6 Hours*

qC5YPnO.png
V0JbrT0.png

Hello, and thank you for coming to Orchid Island! We appreciate you taking the time to help us with our research. My name is Maggie, and I'm a doctoral candidate of Pokémon Research, studying under Professor Elm. Ever since the rampaging Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage made news a year ago, Professor Elm has made studying alternately colored Pokémon a priority, and here on this newly unearthed island, they appear much more often! We notice that alternately colored Pokémon also reflect with bright light. It's for this reason that we've nicknamed them SHINY POKéMON. Professor Elm has set me on the hunt to learn more about these rare creatures.

FEATURING:
A manageable POKéDEX of 64 to find throughout the island!
A base shiny rate of 1/252!
"Horde Pokémon" appearing on the overworld!
Different new ways to boost your odds of finding Shiny Pokémon!
Shiny Evolutions (Pokémon that evolve only from Shiny Pokémon)!
A new Poké Ball that has a much higher catch rate on Shiny Pokémon!
Cameos from well known Pokémon Characters
Loose usage of the "Rebirth" theme! Kinda! [The island emerged after Lugia's awakening]

Can you catch 'em all?!

SCREENSHOTS:
e461zyU.png

DOWNLOADS:

DOWNLOAD POKéMON SHINY ISLAND v1.3 HERE
(note: all save files will work with all versions of the game)

DOWNLOAD RESOURCE PACK HERE

NOTES:
This game was a lot of fun to make! It was interesting to mess around with scripts and play with different ways to modify the shiny rate, as well as getting the number of shinies to show on the Save Screen and in events. It was also very exciting to get gen-2 style overworld Pokémon running around. There are a lot of elements to this small game, and we hope that you enjoy it! If you're able to get all 69 shiny Pokémon, let us know!

1l6V1xq.png

CREDITS:
POKéMON SHINY ISLAND
a game by Evan (Starrcasm) and Tangocoyo

AUDIO
8-bit Looker Theme by the wonderful "Synthescissor" on Youtube
8-bit Hoenn Gym Leader theme by Tangocoyo

SPRITES
Gen II Style POKéMON overworlds by Megaman-Omega of Pkmn Prism
Shiny icons and overworlds recolored by Evan
Poltchageist overworld by Evan
Fablett, Judowoodo, Fogsire, Argubull, and Dragastro designs by Tangocoyo and Evan
Poltchageist, Sinistcha, Fablett, Judowoodo, Fogsire, Argubull, and Dragastro icons by Evan
Fablett, Judowoodo, Fogsire, Argubull, Dragastro, Poltchageist, and Sinistcha front and backsprites by Tangocoyo
Meditite, Medicham, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Bonsly frontsprites by Tangocoyo
Looker Trainer Sprite and overworld by Evan
Vario, Maggie, Brawly, and Agatha Trainer Sprites and overworlds by Tangocoyo
Title Screen by Tangocoyo

GAME
Eventing by Evan
Scripts by Evan and Tangocoyo
Mapping by Evan and Tangocoyo

MADE USING POKéMON ESSENTIALS GSC KIT VERSION 1.3.2
See below for full kit credits​
POKéMON ESSENTIALS GSC was created by:
  • Xaveriux
With the indispensable help of: Caruban, prankster20, Vendily, AwfullyWaffley, TechSkylander1518, James Davy.

Pokémon Essentials GS base resources made by:
  • COMBOY
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
  • Flameguru
  • Poccil (Peter O.)
  • Maruno
With contributions from:
  • Marin
  • Boushy
  • MiDas Mike
  • Brother1440
  • Near Fantastica
  • FL
  • PinkMan
  • Genzai Kawakami
  • Popper
  • help-14
  • Rataime
  • IceGod64
  • SoundSpawn
  • Jacob O. Wobbrock
  • the__end
  • KitsuneKouta
  • Venom12
  • Lisa Anthony
  • Wachunga
  • Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out.

"RPG Maker XP" by:

• Enterbrain
3rd, 4th and 5th generation Pokémon
devamped sprites made by:

• COMBOY
  • DarkDoom3000
  • Koolboyman
  • Akailsamu
  • Neslug
  • NICKtendo DS
  • Wes
  • pokekicks
  • Alpha Six
  • Jeremy
  • Lockerz102
  • josthR69
  • Koopaul
  • Parasect047
  • Ike
  • ClawdNyasu
  • Layle
  • SengirDev
  • Devicho
  • Metalflygon08
  • Nurseblissey
  • Lichen
  • Jphyper
  • MrDustman
  • Sadfish
  • PoisonousGas
  • SageDeoxys
  • Taynathon
Special thanks to:
  • Aioros
  • The Spriters Resource
  • Maruno
  • FL
  • Umbreon
  • Pia Carrot
  • Kcgaranzy
  • mej71
  • out written
  • kiedisticelixer
Crystal GFX Files:
  • Nuuk
GBC Party Sprites
  • EeVeeEe1999
  • QuilChess
  • JF278 & Dani (from Pokémon Fierce Melody)
Sun/Moon Community Dex v2.0:
  • Pia Carrot
  • Pioxys
  • Xeogran
  • Lightning
  • Enderific
  • SirWhibbles
  • SupahSanti
  • JaegerLucciano
  • patrickackerman
  • Seyeba
  • ubasuteyama
  • Rangi
  • bloodless
  • lakeofdance
  • datlopunnytho
  • Leperagon
  • Soloo93
  • Bronzeswagger
Sword/Shield Community Dex GSC style:
  • Meltan - ???, BloodlessNS
  • Melmetal - JuicyChickenThighs, PiaCarrot
  • Grookey, Jozzer26, PiaCarrot, JaceDeane
  • Scorbunny - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane, BloodlessNS
  • Sobble - EeVeeEe1999
  • Gossifleur - QuilChess, PiaCarrot, Copetin, JaceDeane
  • Eldegoss - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane
  • Corviknight - LucasSevero
  • Dreadnaw - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
  • Wooloo - Nuuk
  • Zacian - PiaCarrot, Copetin
  • Zamazenta - PiaCarrot
  • Impidimp - PiaCarrot
  • Yamper - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
  • Rolycoly - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
  • Duraldon - Enderific, JaceDeane
  • Alcremie - JaceDeane
  • Weezing - PiaCarrot
  • Menu - Toxel Dragapult Chewtle Cursola Coalossal Eiscue Dracozolt Arctozolt.
  • Hatterene Barraskewda, Mr Rime
  • Rookiedie - Pia Carrot
  • Morpeko - JaceDeane
  • Polteageist - EeVeeEe1999
  • Cramorant - EeVeeEe1999
  • Applin - Pia Carrot
  • Obstagoon - Copetin
  • Sirfetchd - Enderific, JaceDeane
  • Ponyta - JuicyChickenThighs
  • Zigzagoon & Linoone - EeVeeEe1999
  • Dracovish - Nuuk
  • Drizzile Inteleon - Pia Carrot
  • Runerigus - EeVeeEe1999
  • Blipbug line - Enderific (and resized by Pia Carrot)
  • Dreepy and evo - Enderific
  • Galarian Meowth - Enderific
  • Hattena - Cinnaboopa
Attack Animations:
  • The Spriters Resource
  • COMBOY
  • RZC
  • Xaveriux
  • MarcStudio08
Scripts:
  • Caruban
  • Xaveriux
  • Vendily
  • Pia Carrot
  • Nyaruko
  • Pablus94
  • Marin
  • Lockheart
  • Taynathon
Gen 8 Project for Essentials 18 and 18.1:
Cry Credits:

• Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries- Rhyden
  • Gen 7 Pokemon Cries- Marin, Rhyden
  • Gen 8 Pokemon Cries- Zeak6464
PBS Credits:
  • Zerokid, TheToxic, Golisopod User, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier
Script Credits:
  • Gen 8 Scripts: Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Golisopod User, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier
  • UberDunsparce - Compilation of Resources
Music and SFX:
  • Pokémon Gold, Silver & Crystal
Pokémon is owned by:
  • The Pokémon Company
  • Nintendo
  • Affiliated with Game Freak

Please let us know what you think! This was made for the EEVEE EXPO SUMMER GAME JAM 2024, and we hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it!

* Time-wise the breakdown for my full playthru was the following:
  • 2 hours to complete the "story"
  • 3.5 hours to complete the POKéDEX
  • 5.25 hours to catch all shinies and get the 100% true ending
Your mileage may vary...with shiny Pokémon there's always luck involved! -Evan

EDIT: Version 1.1 is up due to several broken transition events. Nothing else was changed content-wise.
EDIT: Version 1.2 is up due to certain evolution methods not working. Nothing else was changed content-wise.
EDIT: Version 1.3 is up, due to a few hotfixes involving passability, breeding, and a line of pixels in the Sinistcha back sprite that was super annoying. Nothing else was changed content-wise.

Last edited:

Altarax

Novice
The game felt very polished.
It took me around 1h30 to finish the main plot and one more hour to almost complete the Pokédex.
However, for some reason I can't use the item Tea Cup which makes it impossible to complete the pokédex.
Also, Sneasel doesn't evolve holding razor claw, but I guess that's normal as you probably kept the night condition like in the official games. I would suggest to remove that condition though.

Evan

The game felt very polished.
It took me around 1h30 to finish the main plot and one more hour to almost complete the Pokédex.
However, for some reason I can't use the item Tea Cup which makes it impossible to complete the pokédex.
Also, Sneasel doesn't evolve holding razor claw, but I guess that's normal as you probably kept the night condition like in the official games. I would suggest to remove that condition though.
Thanks for playing!! And I appreciate you pointing out the evolution issues--we've just fixed them up and v1.2 is live--your save carries over, if you're interested in patching those holes in your Pokedex ;)

Evan

v1.3 was created and uploaded yesterday as well, due to a few passability errors I found in my 100% playthru. If you've already downloaded, download again! The save file will carry over ✨😁✨

HumbleScotsman

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHumbleScotsman
played a wee bit of it and made a little video on it am enjoying it so far! good job :) love some of the old shiny sprite work in the style! well done! and some of the new evos one in particularly big fan of!

Evan

played a wee bit of it and made a little video on it am enjoying it so far! good job :) love some of the old shiny sprite work in the style! well done! and some of the new evos one in particularly big fan of!
Loved your video a lot!! Your reaction to the Fogsire reveal has given me a lot of life!

Thanks for playing :D

Evan

All - the shiny rates for the game have been calculated and posted, this is as of v1.3, based off of the Anubis/@Sibuna_Switch tables for shinies in the regular games:

1l6V1xq.png

HumbleScotsman

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHumbleScotsman
no worries bud glad you enjoyed it :) loved the design ha will defo be doing some more shiny hunting in the game!

TheMentalOrder

Novice
Full Shiny Dex. I really liked the game, even though Shiny Hunt isn't really my thing. Good stuff. Also, the concept of Shiny evos is such a cool concept I haven't seen people do it more (obviously for gameplay reasons, but the concept is really interesting by of itself)

Evan

Full Shiny Dex. I really liked the game, even though Shiny Hunt isn't really my thing. Good stuff. Also, the concept of Shiny evos is such a cool concept I haven't seen people do it more (obviously for gameplay reasons, but the concept is really interesting by of itself)
Thanks for playing--I'm glad you liked it :D

And good job on the full shiny dex! That's no small feat!

Joog

Rookie
Had to make an account to say that I completed the Shiny Dex and completed the game in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

My advice for any new players reading this, the game will give you better shiny odds the further in you play. But until you obtain them it's faster to shiny hunt with the lower odds until you reach the point in the game that gives you them. I beat the game 90 minutes faster than what the creators said it would take by hunting every encounter in the area until I caught everything there.

Also good luck figuring out how to find Horsea, that was the last line I needed to complete the Dex and it's honestly a cute little puzzle. Neat game, guys!

Evan

Had to make an account to say that I completed the Shiny Dex and completed the game in about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

My advice for any new players reading this, the game will give you better shiny odds the further in you play. But until you obtain them it's faster to shiny hunt with the lower odds until you reach the point in the game that gives you them. I beat the game 90 minutes faster than what the creators said it would take by hunting every encounter in the area until I caught everything there.

Also good luck figuring out how to find Horsea, that was the last line I needed to complete the Dex and it's honestly a cute little puzzle. Neat game, guys!
i'll proudly cede my short reign with the World Record for the ShinyDex% speed run to you, well done! Cool strategy too, I definitely spent a lot of time walking back and forth between places (and it took me so many eggs to get Azurill).

Thanks so much for playing!! Glad you enjoyed the diversions and tangents we planted!

PetiteEchorizon

Rookie
Hi everyone, I made an account just so i could comment here
What an amazing and fun game, I absolutely loved it even as someone who usually shiny hunts pretty casually. I loved the concept of shiny evolutions and your designs for them were perfect, they really fit the gen 2 aesthetic while also expanding on each line's design!
I have a huge soft spot for Snubbull and Granbull so you can imagine my surprise when my starter evolved AGAIN into Argubull and I was so in love with its design! Even if it was only a short game I grew so attached to my big angy doggo and I wish i could take it with me in the mainline games çWç

I've been pretty slow at finishing the game, it took me 11h and 34mins but I managed to get a Full Shiny Living Dex and I'm super proud of it, I've simply had a blast, incredible work all around!!

Evan

Hi everyone, I made an account just so i could comment here
What an amazing and fun game, I absolutely loved it even as someone who usually shiny hunts pretty casually. I loved the concept of shiny evolutions and your designs for them were perfect, they really fit the gen 2 aesthetic while also expanding on each line's design!
I have a huge soft spot for Snubbull and Granbull so you can imagine my surprise when my starter evolved AGAIN into Argubull and I was so in love with its design! Even if it was only a short game I grew so attached to my big angy doggo and I wish i could take it with me in the mainline games çWç

I've been pretty slow at finishing the game, it took me 11h and 34mins but I managed to get a Full Shiny Living Dex and I'm super proud of it, I've simply had a blast, incredible work all around!!
i'm blown away by the commitment to finishing the shiny living dex! thanks for your feedback on the designs as well, we're really happy with 'em too. i'm so glad you enjoyed the game and played it to the extent you did, these kinds of comments make the whole gamedev endeavor worthwhile!!

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
This game is a very smart and cute idea! An entire region just dedicated to just observing and catching shinies is great! The game is really well polished and felt very clean. The new evolutions were really great looking!

My only few criticisms is that while the leveling boosts were very helpful to evolve things, once I started with a full team of 6 of level 50s and they're all getting 5-6 levels a fight...it's a lot of A Button mashing haha. Hordes could be a little annoying And while I understand that there probably wasn't enough time or space for anything more than the title said, I wish there was a little touch more to do to catch shinies (a special bug catching contest maybe? Some puzzles blocking some special shinies?).

also big fan of the nice number of total shinies in the game

Sylvia Stormsinger

Rookie
I finished the game to completion in 3 hours flat. I must say I wished there were more battles and more to explore but I loved being able to explore the island that you had made to completion. I hope to see more games or even more content like this as it was a blast and I could not put it down till I finished. Well done.

Evan

I managed to complete the shiny dex!
Game_6gLhwy35vH.png
Well done!! It's always so satisfying to see people playing the game you made to its completion. For your 69/69, you've earned a resounding "NICE"!

I finished the game to completion in 3 hours flat. I must say I wished there were more battles and more to explore but I loved being able to explore the island that you had made to completion. I hope to see more games or even more content like this as it was a blast and I could not put it down till I finished. Well done.
Three hours!!! That's gotta be a record, excellent job! We definitely wanted to put more stuff to do in the island, and once the judging period is over we may try to beef it up (or more likely expand) the game to include more engaging battles and different ways to find even more shiny Pokémon. (And maybe more story as to what was going on, too)

bonetail2006

Rookie
got all 69 (nice) shiny pokemon yesterday (funnily enough it took me almost exactly 5.25 hours). overall it was a fun little game to play. my only real complaint is that it whould have been nice to be able to check what pokemon you caught shiny already, but really thats just nitpicking.
also, i found a (really minor) glitch. if you white out before reaching the pokemon center when you enter the center later it will play the cutscene for healing after a game over as soon as you enter. i dont think it caused any problems but just to be safe i thought id mention it

Back