• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Released Retrograde Red, a Reimagining (Essentials GSC)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
ETA Next Version
Aug 6, 2024
o9bsGhr.png

Retrograde Red (ReRed) is a reimagining of Pokemon Red, and a game about nostalgia.

Today is the day RED is supposed to receive his first Pokemon and begin on his journey, but everything's gone wrong before it even started. BLUE is missing, and so are the Pokemon the Professor planned to give to them. Time has frozen in that moment, with people and even Pokemon unable to grow or advance, and strange things are happening all over Kanto.

It's up to RED to forge ahead in this uncertain future, find his missing rival, and return things to how they should be.

Features

m6diH8F.png

Step into RED's shoes
- As a story-heavy experience, ReRed puts you directly into the role of RED (or a new female equivalent, ROSY). Who this character is, their history, and their future, are key elements of the story of ReRed. While the game is intended to be playable by anyone with an interest in Pokemon, those who have experience with older generations, especially RBY, may have a leg up.

PWg2IIJ.png

Kanto, but not as you know it - Retrograde Red starts the player in Pallet Town, traveling along Route 1 to Viridian City, just as we have so many times before. But from the moment you step out of your house, things are... different. Areas aren't laid out quite how they're supposed to be, people react strangely, and everything is just a little off. Experience with Generation 1 will be helpful, but it may also lead you off track...

Gx891tt.png

No experience from battle - There is no need to XP grind in ReRed, because there is no ability to XP grind. While the player will discover ways to make their Pokemon stronger as they advance the story, this growth is locked behind game progress. Without the ability to freely increase their levels, the player is perpetually in the position of the underdog, and must use the strategic options available to them to even the odds.

iIv87Sd.png

A wealth of options - To compensate for the lack of traditional growth, every available Pokemon has been given a revamped movepool, able to function in a role on your team from the moment you catch them. And the types of Pokemon that you can encounter and catch have been expanded from the very beginning, and aren't just limited to Kanto. Assemble a team and develop strategies that suit you!

Pokemon ReRed is currently in pre-alpha, and actively looking for playtesters! Interested? Check out the demo and revisit Kanto like you've never seen it before. And, if you're interested in up-to-date news, discussion, and information about the development, or providing your own feedback, join the ReRed Discord server!

Special Thanks to DanF and http404error

Running RED sprite by taynathon

Leaf/Green Trainer Sprite by OmegaZeeZ

Leaf/Green Overworld Sprite by yesilovenachos
POKéMON ESSENTIALS GSC was created by:

Xaveriux

With the indispensable help of: Caruban, prankster20, Vendily, AwfullyWaffley, TechSkylander1518, James Davy.

Pokémon Essentials GS base resources made by:

COMBOY

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:

Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:

Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.

and everyone else who helped out.

"RPG Maker XP" by:

Enterbrain

3rd, 4th and 5th generation Pokémon
devamped sprites made by:

COMBOY
DarkDoom3000
Koolboyman
Akailsamu
Neslug
NICKtendo DS
Wes
pokekicks
Alpha Six
Jeremy
Lockerz102
josthR69
Koopaul
Parasect047
Ike
ClawdNyasu
Layle
SengirDev
Devicho
Metalflygon08
Nurseblissey
Lichen
Jphyper
MrDustman
Sadfish
PoisonousGas
SageDeoxys
Taynathon

Special thanks to:

Aioros
The Spriters Resource
Maruno
FL
Umbreon
Pia Carrot
Kcgaranzy
mej71
out written
kiedisticelixer

Crystal GFX Files:

Nuuk

GBC Party Sprites

EeVeeEe1999
QuilChess
JF278 & Dani (from Pokémon Fierce Melody)

Sun/Moon Community Dex v2.0:

Pia Carrot
Pioxys
Xeogran
Lightning
Enderific
SirWhibbles
SupahSanti
JaegerLucciano
patrickackerman
Seyeba
ubasuteyama
Rangi
bloodless
lakeofdance
datlopunnytho
Leperagon
Soloo93
Bronzeswagger

Sword/Shield Community Dex GSC style:

Meltan - ???, BloodlessNS
Melmetal - JuicyChickenThighs, PiaCarrot
Grookey, Jozzer26, PiaCarrot, JaceDeane
Scorbunny - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane, BloodlessNS
Sobble - EeVeeEe1999
Gossifleur - QuilChess, PiaCarrot, Copetin, JaceDeane
Eldegoss - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane
Corviknight - LucasSevero
Dreadnaw - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
Wooloo - Nuuk
Zacian - PiaCarrot, Copetin
Zamazenta - PiaCarrot
Impidimp - PiaCarrot
Yamper - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
Rolycoly - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
Duraldon - Enderific, JaceDeane
Alcremie - JaceDeane
Weezing - PiaCarrot
Menu - Toxel Dragapult Chewtle Cursola Coalossal Eiscue Dracozolt Arctozolt.
Hatterene Barraskewda, Mr Rime
Rookiedie - Pia Carrot
Morpeko - JaceDeane
Polteageist - EeVeeEe1999
Cramorant - EeVeeEe1999
Applin - Pia Carrot
Obstagoon - Copetin
Sirfetchd - Enderific, JaceDeane
Ponyta - JuicyChickenThighs
Zigzagoon & Linoone - EeVeeEe1999
Dracovish - Nuuk
Drizzile Inteleon - Pia Carrot
Runerigus - EeVeeEe1999
Blipbug line - Enderific (and resized by Pia Carrot)
Dreepy and evo - Enderific
Galarian Meowth - Enderific
Hattena - Cinnaboopa

Attack Animations:

The Spriters Resource
COMBOY
RZC
Xaveriux
MarcStudio08

Scripts:

Caruban
Xaveriux
Vendily
Pia Carrot
Nyaruko
Pablus94
Marin
Lockheart
Taynathon

Gen 8 Project for Essentials 18 and 18.1:
Cry Credits:

Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries- Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries- Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries- Zeak6464

PBS Credits:

Zerokid, TheToxic, Golisopod User, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier

Script Credits:

Gen 8 Scripts: Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Golisopod User, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier
UberDunsparce - Compilation of Resources

Music and SFX:

Pokémon Gold, Silver & Crystal

Special thanks to:

Xaveriux
Tomed01
Utytft
Nuuk
Rangi42
ENLS
Lockheart
SageDeoxys

Taynathon, Essentials GSC Team

Pokémon is owned by:

The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Current Version:
Retrograde Red v0.1.3 (Updated 7/30/24)

Last edited:

TheDuoDesign

Novice
So far I am enjoying the game! Not sure if you want to see bugs or not but I guess I will post one. This error was after using Disarming Voice with my Snubbull against a wild Butterfree if that helps.

TheDuoDesign

Novice
Finished the game. Really like the vibes this game is giving. Sort of like Super Pokemon Eevee Edition. Really interested where this game goes.

Bulbasaur153

Rookie
Finished the game. Really like the vibes this game is giving. Sort of like Super Pokemon Eevee Edition. Really interested where this game goes.
Thank you! I'm currently working on Mt. Moon, which I'm expanding a fair bit from what I originally had planned, so the next update is probably going to take longer than I thought it would. I want 0.2 to have the Cascade Badge obtainable, and maybe figure out a way to get in at least a little bit of replay value for what's already there, instead of just ending right when you reach Cerulean.

So far I am enjoying the game! Not sure if you want to see bugs or not but I guess I will post one. This error was after using Disarming Voice with my Snubbull against a wild Butterfree if that helps.

This is absolutely helpful, thank you! I'm asking around for help with this, because it definitely seems to be an Essentials bug regarding priority moves, rather than anything coming from my project specifically. If I can't figure it out, I might do a workaround of just creating a new low-BP fairy move to fill the slot that I've got Disarming Voice in right now.

TheDuoDesign

Novice
Thank you! I'm currently working on Mt. Moon, which I'm expanding a fair bit from what I originally had planned, so the next update is probably going to take longer than I thought it would. I want 0.2 to have the Cascade Badge obtainable, and maybe figure out a way to get in at least a little bit of replay value for what's already there, instead of just ending right when you reach Cerulean.

This is absolutely helpful, thank you! I'm asking around for help with this, because it definitely seems to be an Essentials bug regarding priority moves, rather than anything coming from my project specifically. If I can't figure it out, I might do a workaround of just creating a new low-BP fairy move to fill the slot that I've got Disarming Voice in right now.
I would have to play it again but I want to say it was the quick claw that was causing the issue since that Snubbull comes with one.

Inner Rhymes

Trainer
I love the plot you've revealed so far, plus I am a huge Kanto/Johto stan, so the screenshots are appealing to me a whole lot. How far does the available Alpha go?

Bulbasaur153

Rookie
I love the plot you've revealed so far, plus I am a huge Kanto/Johto stan, so the screenshots are appealing to me a whole lot. How far does the available Alpha go?
Thank you! Right now, the available alpha's plot stops after acquiring the boulder badge and on a cliffhanger at Route 22. Route 3 and beyond are currently inaccessible.

I'd ideally like 0.2 to have the player able to get to Cerulean, at least, and set a precedent of each 0.X ending at the city that badge is in.

Back