• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Super Surfing Pikachu DX

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
🌴SUPER SURFING PIKACHU DX 🌴
is a shoote'em up crossed with a surfing simulator similar to the original Pikachu surfing mini-game from Pokemon Yellow on the GBC.

B3otcw4.png

a7i6KH8.gif

Story:
Pikachu is out at sea! 🏄‍♂️
Help Pikachu do awesome tricks, but oh no bro, there are hordes of grumpy Pokemon!
Fight off the angry Pokemon while doing wicked tricks and sick jumps off the waves 😎
as Pikachu tries to get back to its trainer at the shore.
i2LSemV.gif

How to play:

arrows keys - move,
space - jump (jumping off waves helps you get higher to reach the gold circles that add to your score)
z - press/hold to shoot or to do a 360 spin iron tail that can both hit airborne Pokemon and add to your score
x - hold to spin forwards in the air (and only in the air) to add to your score (screenshot is old)
esc - pause menu
eywrj6e.gif

points for tricks can increase exponentially by combining trick types, eliminating enemies mid-trick, getting extra air time off waves, and getting gold circles.
make sure you stick the landing though. A perfect landing helps you maximize your points. wipe outs make you lose all points for your trick.
along the way, you can find HP UPs to help you survive and friendly Seakings, Lapras, and Natus to help you obliterate enemies.

easier game levels let you focus on getting high scores from tricks, tilt-spins and irontail spins and collecting rings simultaneously will increase your score multiplicatively.
harder game levels make the game more like a shoot'em up/bullet hell.

Content:
  • shoot'em up combat
  • 3-dimensional movement (top-down (3/4) perspective)
  • flips, spins, and surfing.
  • 5 large enemy bosses with unique attack patterns
  • variable difficulty
  • saves high score.

Credits and Dev notes.
The game was made in gamemaker studio 2.3.
All sprite assets were ripped from the main Pokemon series (FrenchOrange on spriters-resource),
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (redblueyellow on spriters-resource), and Metal Slug (mine-explosion ripped by Gussprint on spriters-resource),
and edited by me.
The custom sprites I hand-drew myself.
Sound effects, music, fonts, code, by me.

N.B.
you can change the difficulty and the game length (distance from shore)
Enemy Pokemon spawn frequency gradually increases as you get closer to shore and this is quickened by the level of difficulty
distance from shore will determine how long you will be surfing for
- this is a two-edged sword as less distance will mean fewer enemies but it also means you have a lower chance of encountering Hp Ups which can help for the bosses.
the shoot'em up part of the game is quick easy by itself and many enemies can be ignored without repercussion, the main aim is to get the highest score possible with tricks while surviving.
I made movement purposely slippery to emulate 'surfing' and even though I, personally, like it, it might be polarizing.

currently in beta
everything is pretty much worked out though but due to limited testing, it's hard for me alone to fix balancing and identifying bugs
so feedback will be very much appreciated.
I'm new here and generally new to the fangame scene in general

I hope to add more surfers other than Pikachu

🌴 DOWNLOAD LINK 🌴

Screenshots:

YCmQ1tH.png

FFAUEYt.png

RpdXjmm.png

CePVmuU.png

bugfix:
tilt is listed as X in game now, fixed wailord from leaving oblivion (hopefully), fixed on natu related bug.

Last edited:
Surprised this game isn't getting more attention - it's incredible!!

The movement, sprites and animations are honestly flawless. The gameplay is engaging, and the boss fights are really fun. This feels like a very professional game, something I would buy on Steam.

Just a couple of bugs reports:
  • Wailord sometimes keeps moving forward and stays at the front, making it impossible to dodge.
  • The tilt button was X, not C.
But yeah, this is a REALLY polished minigame. I absolutely loved it! And you're telling me the music is all custom too?? You're super talented!

Back