• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokemon - Aether and Chaos

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
15-jpg.158433

Pokemon Aether and Chaos

About the game:
I set out to create this game for two main purposes.
The first was to write music, specifically focusing on guitar, bass and drum. I wanted a challenge to write pieces I wouldn't usually try, ranging from heavy to ambient styles.
The second was to create a Pokemon experience that I always wished the games would provide. Some of these being:
The ability to use any line of Pokemon in your team and have them be viable for the entire journey.
Allow almost all Pokemon lines to have three or more evolutions.
Create a difficulty in which you cannot simply just over level to breeze through the game.

Story:
The story is linear and was not my main focus for the game, so don't expect anything fancy. Simply put, you are a young trainer aspiring to become champion of the realm. To do so requires obtaining 8 gym badges and defeating the current champions. On your journey, a local professor asks you to collect data on Pokemon as he has noticed a disturbance in the aether, that being a rise in chaotic energy. The realm and all living things rely on the balance of the aether and chaos to live. As you progress, the chaos energy seems to be growing in large amounts and not through simple natural means...

What's different?
A whole new region to explore, the region of Thion
357 total Pokemon with many totally new creations, both pre and post evolutions
Uses the original Gen 1 & 2 Pokemon lines
Many Pokemon have been given different typings
Two new types: Aether and Chaos
All Pokemon lines can be caught in the wild
Gen 8 battle mechanics
Super effective damage reduced to 3.3 and Not very effective increased to 1.15
A level cap for specific points of the game (can be turned off)
An entire soundtrack of roughly 80 tracks specifically created for this game

Screenshots:
8-jpg.158437
2-jpg.158438

10-jpg.158439
5-jpg.158440

19-jpg.158441
1-jpg.158446

New Pokemon evolution examples:
freezling-png.158449
delibird-png.158450
snovian-png.158451

Potential issues:
I have play tested this for several months now.
The only issue I have not being able to fix is looking in the 'area' section of the Pokedex for some Pokemon. If there are more that people find, I'm happy to fix them.
As this has been a solo project their may be more minor issues to which I'm sorry if they impede your experience.
Fixes:
Fixed an issue where respawning before visiting a center would place you in the wrong location - 25/4/24
Fixed a crash when attempting to trade an old man in Floria Town - 28/4/24
Minor graphical fixes (including Team Chaos at the Aetheric Ruins)
A Move Deleter can now be found in Magnia City, Aquil City, Altia Town Pokemon Centers and the Champion's Guild
Added PC at the Champion's Guild - 5/5/24
Added information regarding Aether and Chaos type weaknesses/strengths, viewable at home bookshelf - 5/5/24
Added Ability Patches/Capules, Nature Mints and some Exp Candies, available for purchase at the Champion's Guild - 5/5/24
Money is now obtained from wild battles - 9/5/24
Fixed teleporting to return you to the last healpoint/center - 9/5/24
Porygon-Z is now Aether/Normal rather than just Normal, as intended -12/5/24
Fixed switch allowing player to reach Reven before they should - 12/5/24
Add name rater (Magnia City Pokemon Center) - 4/6/24
Add Speed-up (Press Q once or twice) - 4/6/24
Fixed not being able to return to Duskwind Island after a certain event - 11/6/24

Tools used:
RPG Maker XP
Pokemon Essentials v20.1
Ableton
GIMP

Installation guide:
Download the link provided below and extract the files to your desired destination.
Run the Game.exe file.
Enjoy the game.

Discord Link:
Discord

Download links:
This is the only release of the game as of this moment.
Mediafire

Credits:
Thanks to all the previous fan games and main creators of the essentials project for any work used within this game. Namely, sprites, tile sets and plugins.
If you notice anything you have done which has not been credited and would like to be added, please let me know.

Essentials:
Maruno
Poccil
Flameguru
A. Lee Uss
Anne O.Nymus
Ecksam Pell
Jane Doe
Joe Dan
Nick Nayme
Sue Donnim
Pizza
Boushy
Brother1440
FL
Genzai Kawakami
Golisopod User
help-14
IceGod64
Jacob O. Wobbrock
KitsuneKouta
Lisa Anthony
Luka S.J.
Marin
MiDas Mike
Near Fantastica
PinkMan
Popper
Rataime
Savordez
SoundSpawn
the__end
Venom12
Wachunga

Mkxp-z:
Roza

Mkxp:
Ancurio et al.

RPGMaker XP:
Enterbrain

Art and Plugin:
Ekat
Heartlessdragoon
Vurtax
Benitex
Joltik
Umbreon
LinKazamine
KingOfThe-X-Roads
Mak
Caruban
jinxed
leParagon
Sopita_Yorita
Azria
Mashirosakura
JordanosArt
Abnayami
OldSoulja
Katten
Divaruta 666
Clara
Skyflyer
AshnixsLaw
ace_stryfe
All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
All Contributors To Pokemon Essentials

The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game

No copyright infringements intended

Please support the official games

Last edited:
Reactions: aly

Kelm

Kelm
Hey dude been playing through the game. Loving the music and the new pokemon. Will be playing more! Do you have a discord for the game?

BCarter

Rookie
Hey dude been playing through the game. Loving the music and the new pokemon. Will be playing more! Do you have a discord for the game?
Hey, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

There's no discord, just these forums and a reddit page on the pokemon fan game reddit.

I'm currently working on a new game which will include another new soundtrack of a similar type. It's an open world style, no new Pokemon or types like in Aether and Chaos, but I'm trying prioritize it to be fun and immersive. Basically building upon what I learnt from Aether and Chaos.

As for Aether and Chaos, and questions, feel free to ask here. It was a first attempt, so there's probably a lot of things which I missed along the way. Regardless, hope you keep enjoying it!

Also, sorry, I didn't see this message until now.

BCarter

Rookie
Hey, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

There's no discord, just these forums and a reddit page on the pokemon fan game reddit.

I'm currently working on a new game which will include another new soundtrack of a similar type. It's an open world style, no new Pokemon or types like in Aether and Chaos, but I'm trying prioritize it to be fun and immersive. Basically building upon what I learnt from Aether and Chaos.

As for Aether and Chaos, and questions, feel free to ask here. It was a first attempt, so there's probably a lot of things which I missed along the way. Regardless, hope you keep enjoying it!

Also, sorry, I didn't see this message until now.
There is now a discord, see main post.

Back