Other Feedback for some ideas

This thread's author wants feedback. Be constructive.

HeddyGames

Novice
Hi, I'm looking for feedback on some features I'm working on for my game, to see if these sound interesting or not:

-All trainers ask you if you accept to battle (no more forced trainer battles).
-Most of trainers accept rematch and update their team if you became champion.
-Gyms available in any order.
-Gym leads have different teams depending on how many badges you have.
-Gym battles limited to use the same amount of Pokémon as leader has.
-Items respawn in the map after some time.
-Tallgrass with 70% of probability for double battles.
-Key Item to find rare species in the region (not pokeradar, but something that changes encounter versions for a period of time instead).
-Story separated in different quests. You can do the quests you prefer. Advanced events require certain amount of quests solved, not all.
-Multiple starting points (like choosing the region you want to be your home). I know, it's the more demanding part.

What do you think? Most of these features are already implemented in a few events of my game, so just wanted to now if it's worth it to add them along the way.

Thanks!

Upvote 1

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
This is one of the things I liked about the newer games, but also takes away some of the charm or thought to maneuvering through routes and such (since sometimes you can dodge them if you go through an alternate path). It's fine, but make sure it doesn't lead to boring routes.
I'm hoping to do something like this for my own game!
Are you going to use level scaling? I'm not the biggest fan of how Scarlet/Violet does it since it still ends up dictating a specific order.
If it ties with the previous point/level scaling this is great.
I'm also adding this to my game!
Make sure it can't get abused if you want to maintain balance in your game (no infinite rare candy exploit, for instance)
I'm thinking about doing this, too. I'm going to make sure tall grass isn't completely blocking large segments of routes though, as it could get annoying. It should be more sporadic or optional.
-Key Item to find rare species in the region (not pokeradar, but something that changes encounter versions for a period of time instead).
This is a nice idea. I'm going to do something similar to this, but after a certain point, rifts open up throughout the region that lead to little outcoves that the player can visit. Similar idea, though.
-Story separated in different quests. You can do the quests you prefer. Advanced events require certain amount of quests solved, not all.
I've always liked this idea. Make sure it doesn't result in boring story, though. Make sure the payoff for doing quests to unlock bits of story is strong enough for the player to get satisfaction from it.
-Multiple starting points (like choosing the region you want to be your home). I know, it's the more demanding part.
This is the only one that I'm not on the same page with, but I can see benefit for. Like you already stated, that's going to end up being a lot more work on your end lol.

HeddyGames

Novice
I think they all sound like some amazing QoL (Quality of Life) features
Thanks! I'm actually looking to have the most QoL options as posible. I'm currently playing the old generations again and I think the reason they feel a little hard to play is the missing QoL features already experienced in present games. Back then it was not an issue at all.

HeddyGames

Novice

Thanks for the feedback! (And for your latest plugins by the way!).

Regarding trainers, maybe 50%50%.
Some of them ask you to battle, some of them will be to impulsive to accept a "No".
Villans by example are all forced battles... because they don't care what you want l, of course 😆.

Regarding gym leads, I'm not doing level scaling, instead I'm doing exactly what I wanted for Scarlet/Violet (and my idea is based on what Giovanny did in Pokémon Origins)... He could use a few basic Pokémon for trainers with 2 or 3 badges... but against Red? Hmm he used ultra balls.

So my leads will have a team if you have <2, <4, <6, or <8 badges. A lot of work, but is worthy.

About respawn items, I'm still looking the right way to do it. But it's entirely based on how it works on SV.

In terms of quests. I think they are a great way to tell interesting and complete short stories without the necessity to overwhelming the player across the region. For my plot and design decisions (no spoilers) they are the best way to handle it.

The last point; this is because I'm currently only interested in create this game (this could change in the future) so if I implement another story or new region in the future (i.e. DLC) I'm trying to get everything ready since the beginning to have the option to play that content first. I don't know, it's like a lot of work, but I think it could be great to have a game with such options.

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
I think it's great to being able to face the gyms in any order, and tho making a 8 teams for each can take some time, it's not that hard

For the last point, doesn't the nurse joys set a healing point in every pokecenter? You could autorun it when the player start the game, so it can be defined anywhere. I don't see how it would be more complicated than that

KRLW890

The Beast
Unless you're trying to put a big focus on double battles in your game just in general, 70% of grass encounters being a double encounter sounds a bit high. Especially if you can't catch Pokemon if there's more than one left, which is what Essentials does by default (and I'm not sure if there's an option to change that very easily). Gen 5 had a 30% double spawn rate for dark grass, which I felt was pretty good, though you could probably raise it to around 50 if you really wanted to.

HeddyGames

Novice
Unless you're trying to put a big focus on double battles in your game just in general, 70% of grass encounters being a double encounter sounds a bit high. Especially if you can't catch Pokemon if there's more than one left, which is what Essentials does by default (and I'm not sure if there's an option to change that very easily). Gen 5 had a 30% double spawn rate for dark grass, which I felt was pretty good, though you could probably raise it to around 50 if you really wanted to.
Yes sorry, I was talking about the high Tallgrass that already has 30% of doubles. The regular grass is singles. So it's distributed as "you only came here if you are looking for double battles".

HeddyGames

Novice
I think it's great to being able to face the gyms in any order, and tho making a 8 teams for each can take some time, it's not that hard

For the last point, doesn't the nurse joys set a healing point in every pokecenter? You could autorun it when the player start the game, so it can be defined anywhere. I don't see how it would be more complicated than that
Thanks! Yes, actually is not that hard to prepare the leaders.

The last point is more like: You can start in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, as you prefer. Something like that.

Back