• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Creative Shiny Sprites - Why Do So Many Of Them Suck? How Can We Make Them Better??

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
is there a Pokemon that you LOVE, but HATE it's Shiny Sprite? what would you change to make it better?

i'll start! i love the Charizard line, but Gen 2 and onward, Charmander and Charmeleon have TERRIBLE Shiny Sprites! Charizard gets this bad to the bone Black tint, while his pre-evolutions go from Orange and Red, to Yellow! while that was fine in Pokemon Yellow Edition, it's been an eyesore ever since, so i'd just give the pre-evolutions the same tint as their elder, "bing bang boom" job done, and it makes sense! but then, "Houston, we have a problem!" i believe that they did the same thing with Charizard's Y-Form, that's ok, let's make him RED as a Pokeball, that way he dont look like a copy of Charizard X or the OG Charizard, and it harkens back to Charmeleon's original Red tint.

ok, enough of that rant from my end, tell me about your fave pokemon and how you'd fix their Shiny Sprites, this way Devs in the future can take this info and maybe roll it into their fangames, so we can stop seeing Pokemon with terrible colorings for the Shiny Sprites, that are supposed to be rare and make us want to hunt them, cause i dont think i want to hunt a Pokemon for a Faded Sprite, kind of contradictory to call that Shiny.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
I love Mew, and the whole volcarona line, but god, I hate yellow shinys, I'd prefer it if it had blue instead, or purple.
Mew at least I think is acceptable, but mewtwo is also very... meh. green didn't go so well, black would be better, even if the intention is a shiny similar to Mew

TheGamingPaladin

I love Mew, and the whole volcarona line, but god, I hate yellow shinys, I'd prefer it if it had blue instead, or purple.
Mew at least I think is acceptable, but mewtwo is also very... meh. green didn't go so well, black would be better, even if the intention is a shiny similar to Mew
fair Blue Mew with Purple blush would be a nice contrast to the little Pink leggo. and Mewtwo in Black for Main color with maybe Green Secondary would be pretty cool, kinda like Zygarde is pretty cool by default.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
fair Blue Mew with Purple blush would be a nice contrast to the little Pink leggo. and Mewtwo in Black for Main color with maybe Green Secondary would be pretty cool, kinda like Zygarde is pretty cool by default.
I wish we could customize the shinys, or if someone happened to do it, but I think it would be a lot of work to have a sprite of every possible color for a single shiny

TheGamingPaladin

I wish we could customize the shinys, or if someone happened to do it, but I think it would be a lot of work to have a sprite of every possible color for a single shiny
true, hence why i dont see customizable shinys as a thing, but we the community can at least give each other better shinys worth hunting.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
true, hence why i dont see customizable shinys as a thing, but we the community can at least give each other better shinys worth hunting.
they usually make the shinys have better stats to encourage hunting (like PokeFallen do), but for many this would be "cheating" or they would no longer be just "cosmetics" as they have always been

TheGamingPaladin

they usually make the shinys have better stats to encourage hunting (like PokeFallen do), but for many this would be "cheating" or they would no longer be just "cosmetics" as they have always been
ew, yeah i wouldnt like that either, that makes Shinys mandatory and that just aint right. looks are good enough to me.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
ew, yeah i wouldnt like that either, that makes Shinys mandatory and that just aint right. looks are good enough to me.
A funny thing is that I find normal rayquaza strange and the shiny one more beautiful than him, the same for greninja (especially in Ash form)
Black shinys are always beautiful, I remember the trouble it took just to get a rayquaza shiny in Unbound

TheGamingPaladin

A funny thing is that I find normal rayquaza strange and the shiny one more beautiful than him, the same for greninja (especially in Ash form)
Black shinys are always beautiful, I remember the trouble it took just to get a rayquaza shiny in Unbound
indeed, every shiny cant be Black, but on the ones that are, they look GOOD.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
indeed, every shiny cant be Black, but on the ones that are, they look GOOD.
if Caruban gives permission, the community could edit the shiny to more "eye-catching" colors or that match better, I personally, as I said, hate yellow shinys, and some don't make sense, shiny gengar is just brighter, lol

Muffyang

Novice
Reborn makes every other shiny black, and pretty sure its all still free-use. Feels like everything using Reborn as a base considers "custom shinies" to be a top-feature, instead of anything unimportant like gameplay.

TheGamingPaladin

Reborn makes every other shiny black, and pretty sure its all still free-use. Feels like everything using Reborn as a base considers "custom shinies" to be a top-feature, instead of anything unimportant like gameplay.
way i see it if most of your Shinies are one specific color, that just screams that they put as much effort into the shinies as Game Freak did, which is an L in my book. and i'm not saying that better shinies are more important than Gameplay features or the like, far from it, i mean if they can think of some big ways to change Gameplay, that should take priority.

LuckyBlackCat

Novice
Espeon is my favourite Pokemon, but green Espeon is my least favourite shiny. I'd make it gold, being a sun Pokemon and all.

Jangajinx

An Overly Ambitious Developer
I believe despite Game Freaks poor choices in some shiny colors (RIP Gengar/Gible Line), there will always be a person who likes it. That is why I do not feel like it would be acceptable for me to replace them in my project, but instead have the redesigns be a different type of shiny weather a super shiny or a brilliant Pokémon. I rather have a player decided rather they want it or not, not me.

lemiho19

Master Of Games
You can just make your own color variants Like here are some of my shadow Pokémon in Pokémon shadow version (game post pending approval)

splash1.png
splash2.png

Back