• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

In Development Pokemon: Polar Call - Demo

This project is a work in progress. The content is subject to change, and not finished yet.
Project Status
Demo
eiSS2SG.png

Made With: Pokemon Essentials GSC Kit & RPGMaker XP

Team:
Elle
Elle again!
Even. More. Elle. owo

Inspiration:

I remember as a teenager, late at night playing Pokemon Platinum and I reached Route 217. Trudging through the heavy snow, being bombarded by a heavy blizzard, no idea where I was going, no idea how big the route was; I was both curious and so anxious. I've always wanted to recreate that feeling, and that's how this project came to be. In the last couple years, I also discovered the charm of "walking simulators" and I thought it would be a neat experiment to create a game taking place in the Pokemon world, with a Pokemon-related story, but focused on people, on exploration, and on story.

nWtAa0V.png

Summary:
Polar Call is undeniably going to be very niche and understandably, not something for the majority of Pokemon players. Maybe it's the type of project not suited for a small screen, maybe it needs more things to examine, or more puzzles to increase engagement. I'm fairly flexible with the game's presentation, what with it being something new and experimental, so let me know and I'll try to adjust in a later release. I will say, I do hope for this to be the type of game where people take notes. Initially I wanted the game to be like Tunic, where you have to figure out how to play as you play, and though I couldn't capture that, it's my eventual aim. Oh and before I forget, the bulk of the exploration takes place in a large map called "The Wilderness," though only 1/4 of it is available in the demo.

Plot:
There really isn't much of a story per se, but what I can share is that it takes place in a snowy region far away. A beacon has sent out a signal, for someone to come check it out, but it's unclear for the reason behind it. It's up to you to figure out the reason for the beacon's use, explore the massive "Polar Region," and eventually find your way to get back home.

Features:
-So much walking, and I mean SO MUCH, that you might rage-quit. Will you accept the challenge?
-Excellent atmosphere, from BGM to BGS, lighting, and weather effects.
-A unique take on the Pokemon world.
-A bit of basic resource management, but for the demo, nothing too noticeable.
-Surprisingly, no secrets. This is a very simple and linear game for the demo.

FAQ:
Q: Where is the Run button?
A: There isn't one, I'm on the fence if I'll add one.
-
Q: How do I open the menu?
A: You don't, there is no menu for the game.
-
Q: How do I save my game?
A: After finding the Charger, interact with one of the heaters.
-
Q: Will you share your custom UI scripts / events.
A: No, sorry, those are private.
-
Q: Why is this using an old version of Essentials?
A: Laziness.

Known Issues:
-Fixing the beacon softlocks you.
-There are a few tile errors, though nothing game-breaking.

Game Link:
Demo Link

Credits:

Tiles:
Elle
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon GS Spaceworld Demo
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Pokemon Trading Card Game 2

Sprites:
Arle's Adventure: Magical Jewels
Elle (Sprite Edits)
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Pinball

Custom Events:
Eurons

Sound Effects (Pixabay):
JCI-21
Pixabay
SergeQuadrado
UNIVERSFIELD

Music:
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

POKéMON ESSENTIALS GSC was created by:

• Xaveriux
With the indispensable help of: Caruban, prankster20, Vendily, AwfullyWaffley, TechSkylander1518, James Davy.

Pokémon Essentials GS base resources made by:
  • COMBOY
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
  • Flameguru
  • Poccil (Peter O.)
  • Maruno
With contributions from:
  • Marin
  • Boushy
  • MiDas Mike
  • Brother1440
  • Near Fantastica
  • FL
  • PinkMan
  • Genzai Kawakami
  • Popper
  • help-14
  • Rataime
  • IceGod64
  • SoundSpawn
  • Jacob O. Wobbrock
  • the__end
  • KitsuneKouta
  • Venom12
  • Lisa Anthony
  • Wachunga
  • Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
  • Enterbrain
3rd, 4th and 5th generation Pokémon
devamped sprites made by:
  • COMBOY
  • DarkDoom3000
  • Koolboyman
  • Akailsamu
  • Neslug
  • NICKtendo DS
  • Wes
  • pokekicks
  • Alpha Six
  • Jeremy
  • Lockerz102
  • josthR69
  • Koopaul
  • Parasect047
  • Ike
  • ClawdNyasu
  • Layle
  • SengirDev
  • Devicho
Special thanks to:
  • Aioros
  • The Spriters Resource
  • Maruno
  • FL
  • Umbreon
  • Pia Carrot
  • Kcgaranzy
  • mej71
  • out written
  • kiedisticelixer
Crystal GFX Files:
  • Nuuk
GBC Party Sprites
  • EeVeeEe1999
  • QuilChess
  • JF278 & Dani (from Pokémon Fierce Melody)
Sun/Moon Community Dex v2.0:
  • Pia Carrot
  • Pioxys
  • Xeogran
  • Lightning
  • Enderific
  • SirWhibbles
  • SupahSanti
  • JaegerLucciano
  • patrickackerman
  • Seyeba
  • ubasuteyama
  • Rangi
  • bloodless
  • lakeofdance
  • datlopunnytho
  • Leperagon
  • Soloo93
  • Bronzeswagger
Sword/Shield Community Dex GSC style:
  • Meltan - ???, BloodlessNS
  • Melmetal - JuicyChickenThighs, PiaCarrot
  • Grookey, Jozzer26, PiaCarrot, JaceDeane
  • Scorbunny - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane, BloodlessNS
  • Sobble - EeVeeEe1999
  • Gossifleur - QuilChess, PiaCarrot, Copetin, JaceDeane
  • Eldegoss - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane
  • Corviknight - LucasSevero
  • Dreadnaw - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
  • Wooloo - Nuuk
  • Zacian - PiaCarrot, Copetin
  • Zamazenta - PiaCarrot
  • Impidimp - PiaCarrot
  • Yamper - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
  • Rolycoly - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane
  • Duraldon - Enderific, JaceDeane
  • Alcremie - JaceDeane
  • Weezing - PiaCarrot
  • Menu - Toxel Dragapult Chewtle Cursola Coalossal Eiscue Dracozolt Arctozolt.
  • Hatterene Barraskewda, Mr Rime
  • Rookiedie - Pia Carrot
  • Morpeko - JaceDeane
  • Polteageist - EeVeeEe1999
  • Cramorant - EeVeeEe1999
  • Applin - Pia Carrot
  • Obstagoon - Copetin
  • Sirfetchd - Enderific, JaceDeane
  • Ponyta - JuicyChickenThighs
  • Zigzagoon & Linoone - EeVeeEe1999
  • Dracovish - Nuuk
  • Drizzile Inteleon - Pia Carrot
  • Runerigus - EeVeeEe1999
  • Blipbug line - Enderific (and resized by Pia Carrot)
  • Dreepy and evo - Enderific
  • Galarian Meowth - Enderific
  • Hattena - Cinnaboopa
Attack Animations:
  • The Spriters Resource
  • COMBOY
  • RZC
  • Xaveriux
  • MarcStudio08
Scripts:
  • Caruban
  • Xaveriux
  • Vendily
  • Pia Carrot
  • Nyaruko
  • Pablus94
  • Marin
Gen 8 Project for Essentials 18 and 18.1:
Cry Credits:
  • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries- Rhyden
  • Gen 7 Pokemon Cries- Marin, Rhyden
  • Gen 8 Pokemon Cries- Zeak6464
PBS Credits:
  • Zerokid, TheToxic, Golisopod User, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier
Script Credits:
  • Gen 8 Scripts: Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Golisopod User, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier
  • UberDunsparce - Compilation of Resources
Music and SFX:
  • Pokémon Gold, Silver & Crystal
Pokémon is owned by:
  • The Pokémon Company
  • Nintendo
  • Affiliated with Game Freak

Attachments

• PolarAsset1.png
    PolarAsset1.png
    6 KB · Views: 8,888
  • PolarAsset2.png
    PolarAsset2.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,928
Last edited:

Muffyang

Novice
I'll put my review under spoiler tags, but overall I just found it disappointing and tapped out early.
Played for about 40minutes, found 4/5 of the Journal/Clues. The exploration is boring, the world lacks in fine details, the snowstorm overlay just makes everything look worse, and overall there's just nothing interesting to it. I'm not a big fan of ambient tracks, and these felt very "stock" and bland even for the genre.
Polar Call is lacking the detail, care, and intrigue you've had in your previous games.

Bugs:
Activating a beacon has the sprite become a black square until the area is reloaded.
You can activate the central beacon and teleport to the southern one, even if you hadn't repaired it.
Various minor tiling errors, the semi-central lake has no north-facing shores, westernmost wall had a few trees half-cut off.

A: You'll find out how in the opening tutorial.
Not only is there no tutorial, doing the MC's stated goal of fixing the beacon is an immediate softlock. Since you have sparkle effects for interactables it's easy to overlook the heaters as decorative.
Needing to go outside and check a house before the Crowbar(and Charger?) spawn is just random, discourages exploring "before you're supposed to" and makes dying just slightly more tedious.

Dynamic exploration that requires basic resource management.
The exploration is entirely static, you either have enough heat to actually explore or you don't. You don't gradually gain or lose heat and need to duck into shelters regularly and there's no penalty to just slowly shuffling through the empty white void.
Actually repairing the beacons is entirely useless since it eats up power you need to not die and there's no reason to teleport. It's not even QoL since the story is entirely linear looking.
The map is just terrible, it's not uncommon to be able to walk in a straight line for minutes without seeing anything at all, much less anything of interest. The minimap from the flags has no sort of landmarking, and the few spirits I found didn't have much notable to say.
The world itself is very bland and uninteresting even when you find one of the 5 or so landmarks. What I managed to piece together was "A shooting star landed, people's errant wishes came true in a way that left nothing around". The barkeep wished for no pokemon mucking up his pub, which is why the the pokemon fangame doesn't have any. Some idiot wished for an eternal snowy aftertoon.

I do hope for this to be the type of game where people take notes.
there is no menu for the game.
Even though there's no penalty to just tabbing out to take notes, most players would want to pause to do so. There's also no real puzzles I found in my playtime, and only a few vague directions that didn't require note taking over memorization. Player don't need to plan an efficient route, even if the directions are misremembered you can just meander around until you find it.
Most of the UI elements are just clutter, and having a menu pop up for them instead would be better. Given how fast the you can get all the items, you don't need a constant reminder of them. You don't have to manage someplace to keep your tools, and fret over backtracking vs heat, no worry about running into a situation you need to go back and grab a tool you thought you were done with to move on.
The UI just obscures the top part of the screen, which is made more annoying by how the only direct directions I got were to "head north". The UI is also inconsistent with the prompt images.
All that said, hoping for a full version.

Elle

Maker of Many and Finisher of Few
I'll put my review under spoiler tags, but overall I just found it disappointing and tapped out early.
Played for about 40minutes, found 4/5 of the Journal/Clues. The exploration is boring, the world lacks in fine details, the snowstorm overlay just makes everything look worse, and overall there's just nothing interesting to it. I'm not a big fan of ambient tracks, and these felt very "stock" and bland even for the genre.
Polar Call is lacking the detail, care, and intrigue you've had in your previous games.

Bugs:
Activating a beacon has the sprite become a black square until the area is reloaded.
You can activate the central beacon and teleport to the southern one, even if you hadn't repaired it.
Various minor tiling errors, the semi-central lake has no north-facing shores, westernmost wall had a few trees half-cut off.

Not only is there no tutorial, doing the MC's stated goal of fixing the beacon is an immediate softlock. Since you have sparkle effects for interactables it's easy to overlook the heaters as decorative.
Needing to go outside and check a house before the Crowbar(and Charger?) spawn is just random, discourages exploring "before you're supposed to" and makes dying just slightly more tedious.

The exploration is entirely static, you either have enough heat to actually explore or you don't. You don't gradually gain or lose heat and need to duck into shelters regularly and there's no penalty to just slowly shuffling through the empty white void.
Actually repairing the beacons is entirely useless since it eats up power you need to not die and there's no reason to teleport. It's not even QoL since the story is entirely linear looking.
The map is just terrible, it's not uncommon to be able to walk in a straight line for minutes without seeing anything at all, much less anything of interest. The minimap from the flags has no sort of landmarking, and the few spirits I found didn't have much notable to say.
The world itself is very bland and uninteresting even when you find one of the 5 or so landmarks. What I managed to piece together was "A shooting star landed, people's errant wishes came true in a way that left nothing around". The barkeep wished for no pokemon mucking up his pub, which is why the the pokemon fangame doesn't have any. Some idiot wished for an eternal snowy aftertoon.

Even though there's no penalty to just tabbing out to take notes, most players would want to pause to do so. There's also no real puzzles I found in my playtime, and only a few vague directions that didn't require note taking over memorization. Player don't need to plan an efficient route, even if the directions are misremembered you can just meander around until you find it.
Most of the UI elements are just clutter, and having a menu pop up for them instead would be better. Given how fast the you can get all the items, you don't need a constant reminder of them. You don't have to manage someplace to keep your tools, and fret over backtracking vs heat, no worry about running into a situation you need to go back and grab a tool you thought you were done with to move on.
The UI just obscures the top part of the screen, which is made more annoying by how the only direct directions I got were to "head north". The UI is also inconsistent with the prompt images.
All that said, hoping for a full version.
Fair enough. Honestly, I've never done something like this before, so I knew there was a chance I could fail at it. Even though it seems like it needs a lot of work, I appreciate you playing it and sharing your helpful critique.

mucka33

Rookie
Finally got to sit down and give this demo a proper playthrough. Will post my thoughts below, there will be some spoilers for those who haven't tried it out yet:
First, I gotta say, the atmosphere is suuuper nice! The muted colour palette with yellow highlighting key features? Very, very effective. As I got farther in, I knew that if I found yellow objects, there was Lore I had to find. Like when I stumbled upon the crash site. Or the Sugar Mines.

The music was better than I expected, for being stock sounds. The Wilderness theme was on-point, and reminds me of the Pixelmon OST "The Frozen Lands" (amazing song, so having a theme that was reminiscent of that really enticed me to set out and explore!) Some of the sound effects (like bumping into things) were a tad loud, but not the worst.

Speaking of exploration, I think the Wilderness does exactly what it sets out to do. It's a large, open area with few landmarks. That's the point. If ever I felt really lost, I'd wander until I found a flag to orient myself on the grid-map, then carry on from there. And in wandering around, I did find the grave site, which was a nice little surprise. I think having more "easter egg" type locations would be neat for future versions. Things that don't necessarily have a progression purpose, but add to the world building and general atmosphere. Maybe some of these areas could have extra resources too, to encourage exploration beyond going from outpost to outpost. I ran low on power (I probably saved too much...) so I never did get to light any beacons, unfortunately.

I'm also a Big Dumb and didn't realize I had to use the heater first before using the crowbar on any of the other buildings...resetting 2-3 times and having to re-enter my name sucked lol. That's mostly on me, but maybe a save RIGHT as the playable game starts would be nice. Just so you can figure out how the mechanics work without having to sit through the intro and naming screen if you screw up like I did :')

The story is intriguing, and I'm curious to explore later versions to learn more! As Muffyang summarized, it seems like a meteor/shooting star crashed, and people started to get exactly what they wished for...albeit with unfortunate consequences. Monkey paw-type situation haha. With the beacons being Clefairy-shaped, I suspect there's something related going on there. Maybe. Maybe I'm overthinking it :P

Overall, I think there's a lot of promise to this project! With a bit more added to find in the Wilderness, and an expansion to the story/locations, I can see this being a very fulfilling little game! I hope you keep working on it and we can see a full release one day :)

(Also your tilesets are so nicely coloured and detailed, hhh)
Thank you for the demo!

Back