• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Game in progress- publish or wait?

ChampChar110

Trainer
I've been making my game, Pokemon Pangena, for some time now.
I have big plans for this game, so it's not close to being complete, but there is some progress:
  • 4/17 Cities
  • 2/11 Towns
  • 4/26 Routes
  • 3/17 Gyms
I don't have any friends who share this interest, so I'm working on it alone.
When I posted a recruitment thread, there was no response.

I lack spriting ability! Tried very hard to learn and make sprites for my characters, but I just can't.
The game, like all my resources, is non-profit and for the Pokemon fangame community. So paying for a spriter is not affordable.

My dilemma is - Should I publish my game with filler sprites and change them in the future? Should I wait?
On the one hand, if I publish my game it might get hyped, and it would be easier to recruit. Right?
On the other hand, I don't want to publish a bad game.

Muffyang

Novice
That's a reasonable amount of progress to want to post, more than the usual one-gym demos. There's no shame in placeholder graphics. I'd say go ahead and make a formal demo build and post a thread, maybe after doing a playthrough yourself for last minute bugfixing and tweaks.
If you're worried about lacking graphically go dig through some of the public resource packs. If you're worried about it being bad from a gameplay standpoint it'll be easier to take feedback now, rework bad elements early, instead of having to overhaul the entire game.

mindbender12

Novice
I’d recommend taking one or two cities, a gym, and a few routes into a demo build and get input on that

Back