• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Metal Gear Ladder: Tactical Climbing Action

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
ppmzIeE.png

wgAZxgz.png

Resource Pack

On a random Thursday... The most epic boss battle happened.

Man
Vs.
Ladder

Enjoy a thrilling action game where you must;
Climb a Ladder!

With graphics taken and inspired from the original 1990 game; Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, for the MSX 2!
With a soundtrack from one of the most influential gaming series of all time.
Three* different playable characters, each with a unique ending!

Prepare yourself, for the ultimate workout!

! ! ! WARNING ! ! !
The game includes copywriten music!
If you are looking to stream or record it, beware!

*(check "Context" below)

This is purely a meme game.
It was going to be an easter egg included within another game I was making for this Jam.
However, real life left me with very little development time

For the most part, you just press the up arrow.
Solid Snake takes about 2 minutes to beat.
Kazuhira Miller is close to 25 minutes.
Gray Fox takes roughly 50 minutes.

*Two more characters are planned to be included with more content, such as;
Memes, references, easter eggs, 4th wall breaks, trivia, MGS lore,
expanded endings, more maps that aren't just a ladder and more.
Stay tuned!

9vDy8cV.png

Game by: Ott

Sound effects from: Mixkit and sounds-resource

Sprites and Tiles used were taken from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake's graphics

Edits by: Ott

OST from: several MGS Games
such as: MG, Snake's Revenge, MG 2: Solid Snake, MG Ghost Babel, MGS, MGS VR Missions, MGS 2, MGS 3. MG Ac!d, MG Ac!d 2, MGS Portable Ops, MGS 4, MGS Peace Walker, MGRising Revengeance, MGS V Ground Zeroes, MGS V The Phantom Pain

Support & Ideas from: LJ, Ekat, Omega, Sylvecario, TheMidnightLucario

v20.1 Hotfixes v1.0.2 by: Maruno

Pokémon Essentials by: Flameguru, Poccil (Peter O.) and Maruno

Contributions from: AvatarMonkeyKirby, Marin, Boushy, MiDas Mike, Brother1440, Near Fantastica, FL., PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, Golisopod User, Rataime, help-14, Savordez, IceGod64, SoundSpawn, Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta, Venom12, Lisa Anthony, Wachunga, Luka S.J. and everyone else who helped out

mkxp-z by: Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

RPG Maker XP from: Enterbrain

Last edited:

Ott

My crown is made from the Yellow Pages
MGL 1.0.1 is live!
Uh... uhm...... yea i forgor to remove the debug events to test the ladders and forgot an "a"

MGL 1.1 is now live!
Fixed Kaz mode, where it had 2 songs be longer than needed
Fixed Fox mode, where it had 1 song be longer than needed
Fixed Kaz's ending, where it played Fox's ending instead
Fixed the Credits song playing when picking New Game again after finishing the game once

Last edited:

Sylvecario

Researchless Researcher
4 arknights challange mode stars out of 3
would climb again

It's always fun to see how far you go to keep a new aesthetic with your games! The SFX and UI changes everywhere came out really nice, and the overworld seemed perfectly adapted! (I am kinda surprised you didn't have a different game icon for this one!)

I think this would work a lot better if climbing the ladder was just a move route rather than requiring the player actually hold Up the whole time. I know that's part of the goof, but it's a way harder sell when it requires total engagement. (Can't watch a show or listen to a podcast or anything, because the point is listening to the music, but I can't do anything I might do while listening to music, because I have to have one hand on the Up key the whole time) I think letting it be something where you let it sit in the background and look over when the song changes still has the goof ("lol, he's still climbing and it's been 25 minutes" "lol, I waited through 50 minutes of these songs just to see this ending") without requiring someone actually give up an hour of their time.

If the player presses X/Esc/etc when asked "Do you want X to go instead?", the characters will still switch.

Just one typo - "Good luck soldier." should have a comma after luck.

raonak

Novice
Love the concept and made me wonder why we havent seen more MG fangames lol

Back