• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Legends: The Johto Incident (Demo)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Work in Progress
Project Version
Pokemon Legends: The Johto Incident

About: You wake up in the Johto Region of the past with few memories of who you are or how you got there. But soon enough you find yourself wrapped up in a new adventure as a mysterious threat begins to emerge...

Note: Due to time constraints and foreseen laziness, this game is unfinished and only contains a short segment of the entire game. I would also recommend saving frequently.

Screenshots:

Big-Picture.png

Made with: RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials 20.1

Team: Doof. Just Doof.

• Fixed a bug where the Rock Smash animation would not play correctly
  • Fixed a bug with the battle UI where certain icons would overlap each other
  • Adjusted Rotom and Doublade's catch rate, making them easier/harder to catch respectively.
  • Adjusted the Ruins of Alph encounter rate to hopefully make it bearable.
  • Adjusted the order some Yes/No choices events to make them more consistent.

Download: Download is Here
Resource Pack Resource Pack is Here

======================
Pokemon Essentials
======================
Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

#======================
# Music
#======================

- ENLS Pre-Looped Music Library

#======================
# Name Windows
#======================
Resource Link: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/197/
  • mej71
  • Vendily
  • theo#7722

#======================
# Simple Item Crafting
#======================
Resource Link: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/632/
- ThatWelshOne_

#======================
# Overworld Shadows EX
#======================
Resource Link: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/669/
  • Golisopod User
  • Marin
  • WolfPP

#======================
# Essentials Deluxe
# PLA Battle Style
#======================
Resource Link: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/986/
- Lucidious89
#======================
# Generation 8 Project
#======================
Project Link: https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/952/

Battler Sprites:
  • veekun
  • The Smogon XY Sprite Project
  • The Smogon SM Sprite Project
  • The Smogon SwSh Sprite Project

Gen 6 Berry Tree OWs:
- Anarlaurendil

Gen 6 Pokemon OWs:
  • princess-pheonix
  • LunarDusk
  • Wolfang62
  • TintjeMadelintje101
  • piphybuilder88

Gen 7 Pokemon OWs:
  • Larry Turbo
  • princess-pheonix

Gen 8 Pokemon OWs:
  • SageDeoxys
  • Wolfang62
  • LarryTurbo
  • tammycladon

Gen 1-5 Pokemon OWs:
  • MissingLukey
  • help-14
  • Kymoyonian
  • cSc-a7x
  • 2and2makes5
  • Pokegirl4ever
  • Fernandojl

Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites:
  • Alaguesia
  • harveydentmd

Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites:
  • Marin
  • MapleBranchWing
  • Contributors to The DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository

Gen 8 Pokemon Icon Sprites:
  • Larry Turbo
  • Leparagon

Shiny Pokemon Icon Sprites:
  • StarrWolf
  • Pokemon Shattered Light Team

Pokemon Gen 1-6 Cries:
- Rhyden

Pokemon Gen 7 Cries:
  • Marin
  • Rhyden

Pokemon Gen 8 Cries:
- Zeak6464

Scripting:
  • Golisopod User (Golisoli)
  • Luka SJ

Compilation of Resources:
  • Golisopod User
  • UberDunsparce

#=====================
DPPt NPC Sprites
#=====================
-Zaffre

#======================
# Tilesets
#======================
Tileset Links:

Tileset Credits:
  • Magiscarf
  • Kyle-Dove
  • Heavy-Metal-Lover
  • Dewitty
  • Zetavares852
  • XDinky
  • Newtiteuf
  • Alucus
  • Erma96
  • Hydrargirium
  • Poison-Master
  • TheDeadHeroAlistiar
  • Shutwig
  • Asdsimone
  • XxDevil
  • Steinnaples
  • Hek-el-grande
  • sylver1984
  • NikNak93
  • TeaAddiction
  • Cuddlesthefatcat
  • Gigatom
  • The-Red-eX
  • ChaoticCherryCake
  • Speedialga
  • Spacemotion
  • PokemonDiamond
  • Kizemaru-Kurunosuke
  • EpicDay
  • Thurpok
  • UlitmoSpriter
  • MinorThreat0987
  • TyranitarDark
  • Kaitoooo
  • WesleyFG
  • BoOmxBiG
  • CrimsonTakai
  • ThatsSoWitty
  • CNC

Attachments

• BigPicture.png
    BigPicture.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 18,178
Last edited:

Geoswag

Novice
Hey! I've played through your demo and thought I'd jot down my experience with the game. Obviously it would be nice to have more in the game, but I haven't taken that as a negative.

Positives
  • I appreciate that the game throws you straight into the action, we know the Johto region already and so no introduction was necessary.
  • Thank you so much for giving Phanpy bulldoze from the start! I see too many games that leave it's god-awful default learnset in and it bothers me every time.
  • I really enjoyed exploring a slightly revamped (or should I say de-vamped?) version of the Johto early game routes, and imagining what happened that made them change into the versions we see in GSC
  • The few areas that were in the game had some pretty nice encounter variety. A particular highlight for me was finding a wild Treecko! I love seeing starter Pokemon available in the wild.
  • I thought the box being replaced by "pastures" was really cute and fit perfectly with the setting.
  • The overall polish of the game was very impressive, considering your time constraints. Every NPC had something interesting to say that either expanded the world-building / lore, or was just a funny interaction. Also almost every single background object was interactable with a witty little comment to go with it, granted a lot of them say the same few lines of text, but it was a nice feature nonetheless.
  • I enjoyed the crafting system in the game, it was very intuitive and the resources were plentiful enough that it never felt to restrictive in regards to things you couldn't buy from the mart.
Negatives
I honestly couldn't think of too many negatives while I was playing through the game, as it was only short I guess there is less to critique.
  • The alpha Doublade in the early game cave was catchable, and it ended up being pretty OP for the rest of the game. Maybe it should be left as a sort of boss Pokemon, like the Nihiligo at the end
  • The Rotom interaction was cool, but it did seem quite early for the opportunity to catch what many people see as a legendary Pokemon of sorts. I also was not in any way prepared to catch a Pokemon with such a low catch rate by the time I encountered it, would there be plans to give the player another chance to catch it later down the line?
  • The encounter rate in the Ruins of Alph was too high, I could barely walk 10 steps without encountering an Unown. This became quite frustrating in such a large maze, especially when, as far as I know, you were unable to obtain repels before this point.
  • This last one is a huge nitpick, which I admit is just my fault really, but I accidentally chose Bayleef from the Elder because I reflexively pressed "down + A" to not choose so I could see what the other options are, but the Yes and No had been swapped and I ended up picking it. I understand the point of swapping these over is to stop players that spam A through dialogue from missing an important decision, but I don't feel like picking a starter is a time when people spam A. I don't think these need to be swapped over.
Bugs
The only bug I encountered in the whole game was with one of the rock smash rocks in the grotto area, the smashing animation played on a different rock to the one I interacted with (I forgot to get a screenshot). Other than that, I encountered no bugs at all. A very impressively polished game!

I will be on the lookout for any future updates, if you plan on making any!

Sparta

banished doof
I've updated the game to Version 3b to hopefully address some bugs/issues.

• Adjusted Rotom and Doublade's catch rate, making them easier/harder to catch respectively.

I just finished the demo including the post game battles, and I have some thoughts below, but to summarize to anyone reading this: you should play this game! It's a really cool take on the legends arceus formula!

I have a lot of good to say, I really liked this game. From the get go waking up in the familiar cherrygrove was awesome. I loved how familiar the areas felt, but they still hid new secrets like the forlorn grove. I felt very excited just checking out new areas.

Graphically it felt like a very nice, clean and consistent game. Very pleasing on the eyes, especially the cherryblossom leaves in cherrygrove.

Pokemon encounter variety was very nice, I kept on finding new pokemon I wanted to catch

The way you've incorporated the legends arceus crafting mechanic feels perfect, it's not too tedious, and it's fairly obvious what things can be collected and what can't. Only think I would note is maybe see if you can remove the "do you want to pick up this item (Yes/No)" prompt, and just give the player the item if they interact with it. But even with that prompt it still didn't feel tedious or sluggish to grab all the materials you walk by.

I really liked the inclusion of the battle styles system, just yet another thing to be like "hey, this is a pokemon legends game"

Now the following are my two big positives about the game, things I absolutely loved:

The way side content was done felt really rewarding, finding these mini dungeons off to the side, exploring them, getting items and then at the end finding an alpha pokemon, and battling it like a miniboss. Super cool, I absolutely loved it. The rotom side quest was also pretty neat, and helped add some flavour to the town. I always like it when there is more to do in a town than just heal and move on with the main story.

And speaking of the main story... I really liked it. It's just a demo so not a whole lot has happened, but what has happened is rather intriguing and has me wanting more. The reveal of Tate also being stranded in the world with amnesia, the reveal of the ultra beasts at the end omg. So good, I loved it.

Yeah the only negative thing I have to say really is that I think the inclusion of a repel item in the crafting system was good. But yeah you've made something really good here sparta! I love it!

godofwrath08

Amon
Can we change the controls by chance?, my controllers buttons are backwards B is Y and A is B.

KonnerKreed

Rookie
I'm definitely gonna check this one out. I'm a massive Johto fan so this instantly caught my attention. Thank you to HeroVoltsy for sending me here.

EDIT: I finished the demo and it is AMAZING. Best of luck with future versions of the game my friend.

Last edited:

Armin

☆★★☆
It's a very enjoyable demo! I love the differences of the routes and towns from their modern-day versions, while still retaining a comforting familiarity. I love Kana and her brash, superiority complex-esqe character, I sense a lot of potential for growth from her. The optional dungeons and sidequests are really fun to explore, and Doublade was a particularly satisfying reward, being rather difficult to catch yet extremely valuable against the fights with Tate and Nihilego.

I thought the writing is particularly skillful - it's simple and inelaborate, yet manages to contain a whole lot of charm and emotion. Especially Tate - poor Tate! I don't know what's with Pokemon Legends games and separating twins from each other, but it's not very nice of them :borf:. It's so sad seeing Tate being so melancholic and unsure of himself, a departure from the cheerful manner he's usually portrayed in. I truly hope he finds a way back to Liza at the end of it all.

A glitch with the houses' passability
door.png

Thank you so much for making this! I'll be so happy to see it continue developing ^^

mrtrickguy

Rookie
Hello my name is mrtrickguy I kinda find bug when I play the game on joiplay yes becus I only have handphone so when I got stater or pokemon I walk to grass and for some reason my charter lock can do anything and the music of the battle but the battle scene did not show up so I stuck and then when I quit and rejoin the game the titles and not reloads I play first time the tiles there but now is gone I try to optimize but that did not work btw I play this on 4 ram 32gb and my joiplay RPG maker is the latest version pls tell me how to fix this oke pls

Vidit99

Rookie
I think there should be different Stater then johto because it is a legends game

safr

Elite Trainer
Pokemon Legends: The Johto Incident

About: You wake up in the Johto Region of the past with few memories of who you are or how you got there. But soon enough you find yourself wrapped up in a new adventure as a mysterious threat begins to emerge...

Note: Due to time constraints and foreseen laziness, this game is unfinished and only contains a short segment of the entire game. I would also recommend saving frequently.

Screenshots:

Made with: RPG Maker XP and Pokemon Essentials 20.1

Team: Doof. Just Doof.

Download: Download is Here
Resource Pack Resource Pack is Here

======================
Pokemon Essentials
======================
Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy