• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Afterlife Part I

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
RI1TXbu.png

Life has not been the kindest of friends to you or your Pokémon. After a tragic accident, both you and Pokémon's parents died and developed a special gift that leaves you feeling cast out from the world given to you. As you move from home to home you grow even more in the darkness of being an outcast. That is until one day while out fishing you discover a strange place that too has been cast out from its origins. Shrouded in dense fog you come across a talking tree that has given you a purpose. A meaning in life. Will you squander it, or will you remain in the voided darkness?

Screenshots:
83nvcZi.png
7iyqsPv.png
G9lWVGn.png
julmH5w.png
Hxxhg3W.png
By6m5Wh.png

Made Using:
RMXP

Team:
Development - GangstaNerd
Story - GangstaNerd & Ash
Play Testers - GangstaNerd, Ash, & LoLo

Download Link:
Pokémon Afterlife Part I (v2.2.6)

Notes:
Game is a full complete game with alternate endings depending on your decisions. There are certain Pokémon that can evolve after they have fainted creating a ghost typing of that Pokémon's final evolution.

Known bug:
After hours of researching and trying to figure it out but couldn't remedy one bug of a bleeding effect from the previous map bleeding into the current map. Luckily it only happens after the end credits roll. The solution is after the credits roll save the game fully quit the game and enter back into the game to fix the issue.

Bugs Fixed:
  • Fixed issue with time moving too fast

Resource Pack:

Credits:
Credits Music:
The Pokémon Theme (Metal Cover)
Jonathan Young
Jason Paige

Pokémon Essentials v20 Hotfixes:
Maruno

Terrain Scripts/Emotion Bubbles:
Thundaga

Puddle Step Animation, Audio, Scripts:
Boonzeet

Automatic Level Scaling:
Benitex
Joltik
Umbreon

Deep Marsh Tiles:
Kotaro
Vendily
Mashirosakura

Encounter List UI (v20):
ThatWelshOne_
raZ
Marin
Maruno
Nuri Yur
PurpleZaffr
Savorde
Vendily

Following Pokemon EX:
Golisopod User
Help-14
zingzags
Rayd12smitty
Venom12
mej71
PurpleZaffre
Akizakura16
Thundaga
Armin (Fairies Resource Pack)
Maruno

Luka's Scripting Utilities:
Luka S.J.

Marin's Scripting Utilities:
Marin

Modular Title Screen:
Luka S.J.

Modern Quest System + UI:
ThatWelshOne_
mej71
derFischae
Marin

Overworld Shadows EX:
Golisopod User
Wolf PP
Marin

Voltseon's Pause Menu:
Voltseon
Golisopod User
ENLS

Wonder Trade System:
Sploopo
Fishy

Gen 8 Pack:
Battler Sprites:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites
veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites
All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites
All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites
All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project

Overworld Sprites:
Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds
Anarlaurendil

Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds
princess-pheonix
LunarDusk
Wolfang62
TintjeMadelintje101
piphybuilder88

Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds
Larry Turbo
princess-pheonix

Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds
SageDeoxys
Wolfang62
LarryTurbo
tammyclaydon

Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds
MissingLukey
help-14
Kymoyonian
cSc-A7X
2and2makes5
Pokegirl4ever
Fernandojl
Silver-Skies
TyranitarDark
Getsuei-H
Kid1513
Milomilotic11
Kyt666
kdiamo11
Chocosrawlooid
Syledude
Gallanty
Gizamimi-Pichu
2and2makes5
Zyon17
LarryTurbo
spritesstealer
LarryTurbo

Icon Sprites:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites
Alaguesia

Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites
Marin
MapleBranchWing
Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository

Gen 8 Icon Sprites
Larry Turbo
Leparagon

Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries
Rhyden

Gen 7 Pokemon Cries
Marin
Rhyden

Gen 8 Pokemon Cries
Zeak6464

Script Credits:
Golisopod User
Luka S.J.

Compilation of Resources:
Golisopod Use
UberDunsparce

Pokémon Essentials was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa AnthonyWachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company

Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Attachments

• Screenshot1.PNG
    Screenshot1.PNG
    154.6 KB · Views: 5,578
  • Screenshot4.PNG
    Screenshot4.PNG
    391 KB · Views: 5,561
  • Screenshot2.PNG
    Screenshot2.PNG
    63.2 KB · Views: 5,576
  • Screenshot6.PNG
    Screenshot6.PNG
    67.4 KB · Views: 5,559
  • Screenshot3.PNG
    Screenshot3.PNG
    249.6 KB · Views: 5,548
  • Screenshot5.PNG
    Screenshot5.PNG
    317.9 KB · Views: 5,553
  • Game.exe Screenshot 2023.09.26 - 11.49.53.85.png
    Game.exe Screenshot 2023.09.26 - 11.49.53.85.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 12,563
Last edited:
Hey I played a bit of your game! Just wanted to leave some thoughts!
I should preface with this just saying that I haven't finished the game, and I'll get onto why, but I think I've seen how the game plays for the most part and can offer some thoughts and feedback.

I really like how you've taken the dimensions theme, and while this is only the 2nd jam game I've played, it feels like it is going to be one of the cooler and more unique implementations of "dimensions". I love the mechanic of swapping between two similar, but not identical, worlds (I really like Zelda: A Link Between Worlds). Furthermore, the "vibes" of the dead world were super cool, really nice colour pallette, and I love how the water changed to this weird toxic, alien looking liquid. I really like that.

It took me a while to figure out how the game was formatted and what to do. It feels very open and there are a lot of places to explore, but eventually I got it down. Having the town as a hub and then an area in each direction is cool.

However I found the main "loop" of the game really grindy. It's cool in theory, the idea of going to the real world catching a ghost, and making a dangerous trip to the dead world to deliver it is super cool. But in practice this ends up being: Find a portal, grab a soul, go to the portal, deliever it, grab a soul, go to the portal, deliver it, and keep on doing that. And it ends up just being a lot of walking avoiding bogs and trainers. And you're expected to do this a lot of times. It felt like a bit much.

I do think something super cool and unique is here, but the part of delivering the spirits just needs a bit of tweaking to make it feel less grindy and tedious. 10 deliveries for each stage of the game is a lot. And in the deliveries you really are just walking for the most part, I think it would be cool to see the dimension jumping mechanic be used in some sort of navigation puzzles. Or maybe have the portals change locations but have a trail from the main town that you can follow to make finding it.

But yeah, I think this is the first jam you've entered, and I think you've made something really creative and unique, so massive respect to you. With a bit of fiddling about how the collection of souls plays out, I think this could be a really good game. Keep up the good work!

Altarax

Novice
Hey, I went through your game today.
Here are some feedbacks.

I really enjoyed the first part of the game with that open world : I spent like fourty minute doing those sidequests before actually starting the first mission.
The weather constantly changing alongside with the dimension shift really spiced up the game. Once I've managed to build a proper team the game went fluidly. The dynamic leveling of the wild Pokémon and the trainers seemed perfect for me.
However, the game got a little bit repetitive when I had to start farming the ghosts. I think reducing the number of ghosts from ten to five could help making this phase better.
I had to stop when the tree asked to farm for twenty ghosts as I got softlocked. I went back to the place where the portail was when I needed to farm for ten ghosts, and the portail wasn't there and I couldn't get back. Here is a video showing the situation (for some reason I couldn't upload it with RC):

Another minor bug I found out was the fact that we didn't need to beat the Caterpie in order to validate that mission. I just spoke back to the lady and she gave me the reward.

Overall it was a nice experience. I really liked the way you incorporated the dimensions theme!

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
Hey, I went through your game today.
Here are some feedbacks.

I really enjoyed the first part of the game with that open world : I spent like fourty minute doing those sidequests before actually starting the first mission.
The weather constantly changing alongside with the dimension shift really spiced up the game. Once I've managed to build a proper team the game went fluidly. The dynamic leveling of the wild Pokémon and the trainers seemed perfect for me.
However, the game got a little bit repetitive when I had to start farming the ghosts. I think reducing the number of ghosts from ten to five could help making this phase better.
I had to stop when the tree asked to farm for twenty ghosts as I got softlocked. I went back to the place where the portail was when I needed to farm for ten ghosts, and the portail wasn't there and I couldn't get back. Here is a video showing the situation (for some reason I couldn't upload it with RC):

Another minor bug I found out was the fact that we didn't need to beat the Caterpie in order to validate that mission. I just spoke back to the lady and she gave me the reward.

Overall it was a nice experience. I really liked the way you incorporated the dimensions theme!

Thank you I appreciate all the feedback. I'll look into the Caterpie quest though. The portals move after you finish gathering the first ten. There are 2 portals available when gathering ghosts but only change when the tree asks you to gather more. I understand the repetition being really redundant, That's why I added the side quests to sort of break that up. but reducing the amount needed would make the game seem less mundane. I will take this into account for future games if I decide to expand on this game because there is no post-game after completion, but I have some ideas of how to make some post-game material.

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
Hey I played a bit of your game! Just wanted to leave some thoughts!
I should preface with this just saying that I haven't finished the game, and I'll get onto why, but I think I've seen how the game plays for the most part and can offer some thoughts and feedback.

I really like how you've taken the dimensions theme, and while this is only the 2nd jam game I've played, it feels like it is going to be one of the cooler and more unique implementations of "dimensions". I love the mechanic of swapping between two similar, but not identical, worlds (I really like Zelda: A Link Between Worlds). Furthermore, the "vibes" of the dead world were super cool, really nice colour pallette, and I love how the water changed to this weird toxic, alien looking liquid. I really like that.

It took me a while to figure out how the game was formatted and what to do. It feels very open and there are a lot of places to explore, but eventually I got it down. Having the town as a hub and then an area in each direction is cool.

However I found the main "loop" of the game really grindy. It's cool in theory, the idea of going to the real world catching a ghost, and making a dangerous trip to the dead world to deliver it is super cool. But in practice this ends up being: Find a portal, grab a soul, go to the portal, deliever it, grab a soul, go to the portal, deliver it, and keep on doing that. And it ends up just being a lot of walking avoiding bogs and trainers. And you're expected to do this a lot of times. It felt like a bit much.

I do think something super cool and unique is here, but the part of delivering the spirits just needs a bit of tweaking to make it feel less grindy and tedious. 10 deliveries for each stage of the game is a lot. And in the deliveries you really are just walking for the most part, I think it would be cool to see the dimension jumping mechanic be used in some sort of navigation puzzles. Or maybe have the portals change locations but have a trail from the main town that you can follow to make finding it.

But yeah, I think this is the first jam you've entered, and I think you've made something really creative and unique, so massive respect to you. With a bit of fiddling about how the collection of souls plays out, I think this could be a really good game. Keep up the good work!
Thank you I appreciate all the feedback. To be honest, I did feel that only gathering did seem a little mundane, that's why I added some side quests to break that up a little. I could see that making the player gather fewer spirits would help make it seem less mundane. The portals do change location, it changes after every milestone of collecting the spirits, and the locations are random, just like the spirits. If you lose to the spirit or run away from the spirit it is actually lost and you have to go to a different location to find them. I also added alternate endings depending on how you play the game, which could actually allow me to expand on the game if I ever decided to. Which I definitely considering. I'm glad you are enjoying the game hopefully you'll play some more and would like to hear what ending you got, if you decide to finish it.

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
I have included an updated game link to address some additional bugs that were encountered through some people's playthroughs, I've also decreased the number of spirits that are required for gathering for every tier to make it seem less grindy. The first tier is 5, the second tier is 10, the third tier is 13. For those on tier 2 and above I have created a cheat on the right side of the Uked tree that will only activate if you need to collect spirits 13 and above. You can also start the game over if you'd like to and it will work automatically, this is optional. See the image below for the cheat location. Future updates will have this removed. There is also an added difficulty for those who reach the final boss on Friday the 13th. See below for a list of bug fixes.

Bug Fixes:
Game crash when talking to Daycare Lady
Caterpie event where reward is given without defeat the Caterpie
Mapping issue in Detniat Bog where players get stuck in that area.

Quality of Life Fixes:
Significantly decreased spirits required to gather
-Tier 1: 5 Spirits
-Tier 2: 10 Spirits
-Tier 3: 13 Spirits

Spirit Decrease Cheat
Cheat.PNG

HUGE SPOILER
For those that want to know which Pokémon evolve into Ghost types see the list below.
Feraligatr
Sceptile
Scyther
Marowak
Magmar
Sandslash
Lucario
Charizard

grenin

Rookie
Please do something about the swamp of water, I keep falling in it almost every step and need to move two three movement keys to get out of it. Overalll the game is excellent but swamp make it very irritable.
Another suggestion is :- keep physical move tutor as well not only special

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
Please do something about the swamp of water, I keep falling in it almost every step and need to move two three movement keys to get out of it. Overalll the game is excellent but swamp make it very irritable.
Another suggestion is :- keep physical move tutor as well not only special
I'm in the process of fully revamping the game. Adjusting the marsh tile counter was one of them. I just need to fo a few more tests and the game should be published. Most likely by the end of this week.

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
Due to the valuable feedback, the game has been majorly revamped. The updated link along with the changes made have been included in the information above. If you've already started the game, unfortunately, you will have to create a new game as the main storyline has been revamped. I would like to say thank you to all of you who took the time to play the original version and provided all of your feedback. I hope you take the time to play the revamped version.

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
Who would like to see their favorite Pokémon evolve into a ghost type? I'm currently working on Part 2 of 3 for Pokémon Afterlife. If you would like to possibly see a Pokémon favorite be turned into a Ghost type then reply to this post and I may be able to incorporate it into one of the games. If you're not sure which ones are already Ghost types then see spoiler above.

Agniko Fireking

That One Pyro
So, I managed to fail one of the quests, cause I didn't realize I was being timed. The one with Sandshrew. Is there ANY way for me to fix it? Cause now I permanently have Sandy following me, and can't continue, because I'm not allowed to proceed with a follower. Also, one of the quests I completed isn't being marked as done.

Last edited:

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
So, I managed to fail one of the quests, cause I didn't realize I was being timed. The one with Sandshrew. Is there ANY way for me to fix it? Cause now I permanently have Sandy following me, and can't continue, because I'm not allowed to proceed with a follower. Also, one of the quests I completed isn't being marked as done.
I found the error with Sandy quest, and it didn't remove the dependency if failed. I have fixed that I also changed it so that the player gets a sense that they are being timed so that they return Sandy faster. As for the other quest which one is not being marked as done so I can fix that as well.

Agniko Fireking

That One Pyro
I found the error with Sandy quest, and it didn't remove the dependency if failed. I have fixed that I also changed it so that the player gets a sense that they are being timed so that they return Sandy faster. As for the other quest which one is not being marked as done so I can fix that as well.
I believe it was the Totodile Quest.

GangstaNerd

Madness is like gravity
I believe it was the Totodile Quest.
I have attached an updated version of the game. To clear the failed rescue Sandshrew quest, just talk to the quest giver in Diov Town and it should clear for you. If there is anything else please let me know, thank you.

Back