• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Playing All Gens in Order, Fangame-Style

Radio_Liminoid

Rookie
I want to play all the Gens starting at Gen 1 and at least going to 5, but with fangame adaptations or upgrades. I don't necessarily need one-for-ones with only QoL upgrades, but I am looking for the stories and general shape of the games to be similar. So, what is the best way to play through Kanto again following Red? What fangame best recaptures the magic of going through Johto as Ethan? Any lists or individual game suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Radio_Liminoid

Rookie
I just started Pokemon Adventures Red Chapter as my (first?only?) Gen 1 fangame. I had thought I might play a certain Spanish-indigo Kanto remake, but for reasons I won't mention, that one is out.

I haven't looked deep into HeartGold/SoulSilver fangames, nor ORAS fangames, though i would be open to original GSC and RSE fangames as well. For Gen 4 I think Banished Platinum is a good contender, and Gen 5 might be Drayano's Blaze Black and Volt White 1&2.

Everything is definitely still up for consideration, and I would also be willing to play the same generation multiple fangames if there is a compelling enough reason :)

Richard PT

Cooltrainer
I just started Pokemon Adventures Red Chapter as my (first?only?) Gen 1 fangame. I had thought I might play a certain Spanish-indigo Kanto remake, but for reasons I won't mention, that one is out.

I haven't looked deep into HeartGold/SoulSilver fangames, nor ORAS fangames, though i would be open to original GSC and RSE fangames as well. For Gen 4 I think Banished Platinum is a good contender, and Gen 5 might be Drayano's Blaze Black and Volt White 1&2.

Everything is definitely still up for consideration, and I would also be willing to play the same generation multiple fangames if there is a compelling enough reason :)
Well, if you want to play a fan game close to the official fan games, you can try mine: Pokemon Chronicles. I recreated the fire red game + some events from yellow + crystal and some events from gold or silver + emerald + some events from ruby or oras + some events from HGSS and one aditional region from the anime series, orange region. = You start in Kanto, then sevii isles, orange archipelago, johto and hoenn, it ends on the battle frontier, since that i'm still working on hoenn last maps, which is from the last badge, league and battle frontier, the current version ends at the sootopolis entrance. And at the moment, i'm revamping the hoenn maps into fire red style, so all the regions have the same style. It's a big game, and it recreates pratically everything from the official games, even it's game mechanics, i added some aditional and usefull ones, which you can decide to use or not. Don't know if it's this you are searching for but i just mention this in case you want to try it.

Radio_Liminoid

Rookie
Well, if you want to play a fan game close to the official fan games, you can try mine: Pokemon Chronicles. I recreated the fire red game + some events from yellow + crystal and some events from gold or silver + emerald + some events from ruby or oras + some events from HGSS and one aditional region from the anime series, orange region. = You start in Kanto, then sevii isles, orange archipelago, johto and hoenn, it ends on the battle frontier, since that i'm still working on hoenn last maps, which is from the last badge, league and battle frontier, the current version ends at the sootopolis entrance. And at the moment, i'm revamping the hoenn maps into fire red style, so all the regions have the same style. It's a big game, and it recreates pratically everything from the official games, even it's game mechanics, i added some aditional and usefull ones, which you can decide to use or not. Don't know if it's this you are searching for but i just mention this in case you want to try it.
Yo this sounds perfect! Pokemon Chronicles will 100% be my next play. I'll let you know how it goes, but it sounds great. Once I start getting through some of these types of revamp games I'll start a list and I'm excited to put Chronicles on it!

Richard PT

Cooltrainer
Yo this sounds perfect! Pokemon Chronicles will 100% be my next play. I'll let you know how it goes, but it sounds great. Once I start getting through some of these types of revamp games I'll start a list and I'm excited to put Chronicles on it!
Well, i'm glad that you will try it. The game is really huge, believe me. It's almost 1G of space with all that content. I'm an old pokemon fan, i saw it's birth until today. My last game version has some bugs since it was released during the covid period and i'm working on the next and upcoming update, which you can visit the game's forum to read about it. Or visit my recruitment post to acess the link there and to see it's features.

Astefia

Cooltrainer
I recommend Pokemon Old Amber. It has a bit of a problem with boring routes (not many wayfeatures), but gives a nice fresh take on Kanto+Johto, with different starters (Mareep and a choice out of 3 bugs).

Back